Thread: PvP option

PvP option

What I'd like to see is a little more fighting in the streets.

I just had this idea. What if every zone could work as an arena. Supposing you have 2 people who are willing to duel each other. What if, instead of running to the arena or a PvP zone, you could send a sort of 'PvP-tell' to each other.

'You have been invited to a duel. Do you want to duel, Dirtybob?'

If you answer yes to that the duel is on. Inside Omni-1, Tir, Newland, wherever. As long as both are in agreement. Also if you're in a team, the whole team gets involved. PvP zones should of course still work as they do.

Another thing. If someone attacks a guard of any faction. Like Omnis going to Tir attacking the guards, they should become possible to attack by players around them. Like it is now it's just the most silly war I've ever seen.
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!

One thing I'd really like to see, gunfights in Borealis at high noon - between consenting players only. There have been a lot of suggestions about simply turning the gas off, which has always struck me as a bad idea since some professions simply aren't cut out for PvP. However, doing it this way would allow PvPers to PvP as much as they liked, while allowing non-PvP players the freedom to keep out of it. Perhaps extend this to groups and even whole orgs, to allow hostile factions to fight freely.

I also like the idea about the guards. There's often nothing more irritating than seeing the guards being blown away and not being able to do anything about it.

Cheers,

~R~

From what I recall, you can't even buff/heal them while they're under attack... Once I witnessed Clanners jumping out of the whompa right in the middle of Omni-Ent, looking at the amount of damage they did to the guards, the latter were completely... well, owned.

Duels would be more interesting, and though I'm not into PvP myself, I guess this could be a funny thing to implement - only if people agree on it. And there should be a rule preventing witnesses from ganking/looting dead duellers once the fight's finished...
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

That brought to mind an idea I had a while back, about "PK flags". (PK = Player Killer)

The way I see it PvP would be considerably improved by having any player who attacks any other player (hostile nano, pet, or actual attack) flagged as a PKer.

This flag lasts for (For example) 30mins after the last hostile action and means the player can be attacked ANYwhere (well 75% or less areas) by any player of the opposing side. (Or neutral?)

The flag is cleared when you die to prevent reclaim camping. (Maybe not cleared when you /terminate ? )

Although you could be attacked anywhere, not everyone would want to attack you - because then THEY would be flagged PK too.

This flag *could* be set when players attacked guard NPCs and "special" sided NPCs to allow local players to help the guards out. (That wasnt part of the original idea)

I think it would really open up the "war" as you would see small battles going on all over, and be free to join in if you wished.

It would also stop people ganking and never taking any risks - you cant just leap back into the saftey of the 75% zone once you have started your attacks.

You could get your guildmates or friends in to hunt down the person who just killed you, you could even see running battles going on accross RubiKa as people chase each other around.
    C.M.O.T. Raymote - Loyal (They pay better) OmniTek Trader
    Omni-ECPCS

Rimmer: After intensive investigation, comma, of the markings on the alien pod, comma, it has become clear, comma, to me, comma, that we are dealing, comma, with a species of awesome intellect, colon.
    Holly: Good. Perhaps they might be able to give you a hand with your punctuation.

Big problem with PvP...

Neutrals can't start fights. Hard to play a mercenary or assassin for hire when you can only start fights in 0% areas. And I'm really getting tired of being shot at by trigger happy Clanners and Omnis. Thanks guys, really encouraging way to get me to pick a side.

And if you want to make it PvP everywhere, you'll have to put lots of guards around. Neutral guards should either be siding with other Neutrals, taking down whoever started the fight, or just fire at will to keep the peace. Let it get sorted out at reclaim. But the Neutral guards need to be made stronger! Every neutral guard I see now is green (maybe yellow). Most of the Omni and Clan guards I see are red.

Clan guards should of course help clanners, and Omni guards Omnis.

Should also be a requirement in any PvP area that anyone with a PvP title MUST show up in /list.

But really, making the whole world PvP just won't work, because the game is filled with imature little pricks who get off on ruining somebodys day.

If you really want some decent change. convince FunCom to figure out how to let Omni, Clan, and Neuts fight over various outposts. (yes, must include Neuts so we can defend neutral outposts.)

I think that each outpost should have something of a security bunker, where guards report to in the morning, get their orders, latest APBs, etc. Make each one a mini dungeon to add to the challenge. Having this bunker siezed by the other side would be a magor concern, because if someone with the right skills makes it to the control room (Maybe an engineer or someone with high enough comp lit.) they can change the guard respawn to respawn guards on their side, take control of stationary guns, etc.

There isn't a point to base siege now, because the guards alwasy respawn anyway. Make this interesting, big serious fight with guards and other NPCs in the security bunker, no XP, no loot, just one hell of a fight to take the base.

And then wash, rinse, repeat. Add in a system to show who is in control of any given outpost (on the web or something), and AO just got alot more interesting.

And please, let Neutrals start PvP in 25% areas.

Loads and loads of good ideas here, i hope that FC actually implement some of em, ive been after a pvp server but thiese ideas seem much more realistic

No comments on my PK flag idea?

I know I am crap at explaining stuff but I think its the best idea I ever had.

Glarawyn: If neutrals could start fights then you need a "faction" system like in EQ, so that the omni, neutral and clan guards start attacking them on sight if they kill too many people on that side.

Otherwise all the hardcore PvPers would change to neutral - which doesnt make sense.
    Omni-ECPCS

Rimmer: After intensive investigation, comma, of the markings on the alien pod, comma, it has become clear, comma, to me, comma, that we are dealing, comma, with a species of awesome intellect, colon.
    Holly: Good. Perhaps they might be able to give you a hand with your punctuation.

Naw, you explained the PK flag well, and I like it.

Why would we need a faction? Currently all the guards let neutral guards let neutrals go about their business. The neutrals don't need a faction, our guards are hired by the ICC, not any orginazation within the neutral community.

So the PK flag would look a little different for Neutrals, if we kill too many Clanners for example, Clan security reports us to the ICC, and the ICC guards and the Clan guards are gunning for us.

Too many Omni's, and we have Omni and ICC guards gunning for us.

Too many Omni's and too many Clanners, and every guard is gunning for us. Too many kills in ICC guarded areas, and ICC sents out an APB to OT and Clan, and everyone is gunning for us again.

Given that one of the advantages of being neutral is that we can walk freely through any city or outpost (unless there is a Slayerdroid around, those things don't like anything that isn't Omni, but I hear they leave Neuts be in Omni-1 HQ.) having every guard out gunning for you becomes a serious issue, and it would be an even bigger issue if the ICC would assign some higer level guards to Rubi-Ka. All the ICC guards are green or just barely yellow to me now (L125), but most of the OT and Clan guards are at least Orange.

You misunderstood what I meant by faction.

The "faction" system in EQ works pretty much as you went on to describe for AO.

(If you killed a Freeport guard your "Faction" with freeport guards dropped, and eventually they would attack you on sight - for example)

Its my fault for trying to use EverQuest terminology here, sorry.
    Omni-ECPCS

I love the Challenge / Duel option even in the =< 75% zones. I think the acceptance should time out after a few seconds or a minute, and default to one option or the other based on your current Agg/Def slider positon. I.E. if your agg/def slider is all the way aggressive you would default to accept the challenge, if the slider were over in the Def side, you would decline by default.

the PK flag is an interesting idea, makes for wanted criminals having to live in the outskirts or deserts.

Originally posted by SpiderKissed

the PK flag is an interesting idea, makes for wanted criminals having to live in the outskirts or deserts.
    Well I did only suggest 30mins, but you could bump that right up to - say - a full week of play time.
    Omni-ECPCS

the only problem i see with the "initiate duels anytime" thing would be that i really really dont need to see people dueling in front of fair trade (in Tir) all day. if i wanna see pvp i usually fly over the arena. that said i think that'd be pretty cool but you could still escape by zoning.
    Spewing truth from every orifice.
    Fixanox - Member of Eternal Fury.
    Cronoco

As long as I have the toggle option to toggle whether or not I even get that query in the first place.

I've absolutely no intention in participating in PvP or dueling. I don't even want to be bothered with a query prompting me with whether or not I want to duel someone.

You just know there will be jerks constantly pinging people with Dueling requests.

And I dislike the idea of the entire team getting involved automatically just because someone else on your team decided to accept the duel. Sounds like a great way to set up folks for a fall or abuse.

Originally posted by Raymote
    That brought to mind an idea I had a while back, about "PK flags". (PK = Player Killer)

The way I see it PvP would be considerably improved by having any player who attacks any other player (hostile nano, pet, or actual attack) flagged as a PKer.

This flag lasts for (For example) 30mins after the last hostile action and means the player can be attacked ANYwhere (well 75% or less areas) by any player of the opposing side. (Or neutral?)

The flag is cleared when you die to prevent reclaim camping. (Maybe not cleared when you /terminate ? )

Although you could be attacked anywhere, not everyone would want to attack you - because then THEY would be flagged PK too.

This flag *could* be set when players attacked guard NPCs and "special" sided NPCs to allow local players to help the guards out. (That wasnt part of the original idea)

I think it would really open up the "war" as you would see small battles going on all over, and be free to join in if you wished.

It would also stop people ganking and never taking any risks - you cant just leap back into the saftey of the 75% zone once you have started your attacks.

You could get your guildmates or friends in to hunt down the person who just killed you, you could even see running battles going on accross RubiKa as people chase each other around.
    This is more or less what they had in Ultima Online (unless I missed something). The main difference in yours is that in UO if you attacked a criminal you would not be flagged a criminal. I like the idea, but If it was implimented there would be a major problem with Newbies getting killed over and over. It happened in UO daily where people would get newbies to attack them so that they could help "train" the new player. Although this may not work as well in AO, I think it would frusterate new players.
    Kamelot lvl 89 Agent

Irvin Miollnir Lene lvl 20 Enforcer

I had it clearing the flag (or decriminalising) the PK as soon as they died, so I dont think you could kill newbies over and over.

I think this should only happen if they are PvP killed. If a mob kills them or they /terminate they should still be flagged.

The problem with not clearing the flag is the possibility of reclaim camping - killing the same person over and over as they spawn at the reclaim terminal.

There is no way anyone can "spam you with duel requests" so zeroframerate and other anti-PvP people never need to be bothered by any of this. All they would ever see of PvP is people fighting, but unable to harm them as long as they don’t join in. They could spectate or move on in safety as they wished.

Clan v Omni war ANY where in the game without upsetting the none-PvP people or forcing people to make permanent "I am a player killer" type decisions! (I don’t know about other games but in EQ the few people who chose to be PKs really regretted it in the long run, it really didn’t work.)

For anyone confused by the term "flag", think of it as an on/off switch. Everyone starts with it switched off and it turns on when they get involved in PvPing - and off again after a fixed duration. It doesn’t turn on when you get attacked, only if you retaliate.

In fact now I think about it, it doesn't really need a timer, it could be permanent - until you next get killed by a player. (At which point it clears)
    Omni-ECPCS

Originally posted by Cronos
    the only problem i see with the "initiate duels anytime" thing would be that i really really dont need to see people dueling in front of fair trade (in Tir) all day. if i wanna see pvp i usually fly over the arena. that said i think that'd be pretty cool but you could still escape by zoning.
    Just FYI, under the current system you can set up a showcase duel in front of fair trade, or anywhere in Tir or Omni1 Entertainment.

Just start attacking your duel partner in the arena then move out of the arena - to wherever you want to go.

You occasionally see people doing this at the Bronto Burger stand in ent, usually to cries of "its a bug" and "how the **** did they do that??"

Well now you know.

(Note - it isnt a bug)
    Omni-ECPCS