Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Jesus was a mob what would he drop?

If Jesus was a mob what would he drop?

Wouldn't we all just be dieing to find out? He would be so heavily camped that he'd be KOSed within 2 seconds of him spawning until he was resurrected on his ghetto 7 day spawn timer.

My point is this: The combat system, as it is now, inspires no sense of heroism. There are several reasons for this, the primary one is that there is no motivation to mission/hunt other than greed. Furthermore there is no incentive to do anything other than be greedy. Many of these things could be changed with some work and redesign. I have 2 major suggestions that would be basically game changing, but what the hell, I'll toss them out.

1. Put a story behind mobs. Why do people go to the ace camp in EFP to camp kill the innocent neutral inhabitants? Because there are no other mobs? Yes that's part of it, but another part of it is because there is no motivation to do something good. If say there was an NPC that spoke of a camp of tough criminals and bandits out in EFP that had PKed his only son and held hostage his wife then going to the aces is no longer Thug Nation on line but there now shines through a small light of heroism. This can be done with many of the new boss camps, if there is a medusas boss, a half entrained omni soldier can tell a story of how his platoon, on patrol in DAV was attacked by a mysterious group of Aliens, all appearing "female" and how his squad was subdued by their strange song, and how he somehow escaped with his life. He could also tell of how some very important item they were transporting has fallen into the hands of this mob and offer a reward for it's return.

2. This is the biggie. Rework the whole PVM system. First make mobs about as tough as players in terms of HP, and enhance their offensive abilities making their damage and use of nanos a bit less predictable. Now make 5 times as many of them and reduce their exp reward by 50% per mob since they will start dropping very fast. Think about the combat system in Diablo II. Even if the quest behind the story inspires the greatest sense of heroism, the fact that you "fight against the odds" is also another major force behind that sense.

As of now, 6 people run through someone's office building or a cave that is strangely inhabited by OT/Clan officials and go on a killing spree from cave/office/closet to cave/office/closet, murdering everything and power clicking to steal the boots from their feet while their co-workers fellow cubical dwellers cave squatters watch listlessly from the next room. Many people may want to role play muggers and murderers, but I don't really want to. Greed should be a secondary objective not the primary. In missions this could be solved in 2 ways, first make the objectives heroic, second, make the mobs again more like the players, and third when they here gun shots make them come running from everywhere in the if they can hear, los the party/fight. Make them gangs of terrorists holding offices hostage, or saboteurs taking over a mine, put innocents and hostages in there that may be killed, and will run for the exit once the mob that holds them hostage is killed. Make the environment somewhat plausible.

You could even have a good/evil slider on the mission terminal for those that want to be evil, a full evil mission may yeild somehing like "Marci Davis just had a new born baby at the bottom of some cave. I don't like Marci because she thumbed her nose and me at the academy. Please go and eat her baby in front of her before she can insure it for 600k cr and 300k exp." I guess the good side will be pretty easy to figure out.
    Last edited by Real Kinky Ityn; Aug 20th, 2002 at 15:36:01.

That's an easy one!

Jesus would drop all the campers like an old suitcase.

Jesus > campers

Jesus is coming
    Look busy

hugs

lilnymph <-- practising Catholic before someone flames me for anti Christian views.
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Man

One good thing bout being in QUIZ, is i know what he drops.

Hmm let me see parhaps some bread along with a few fish .... and maybe some watered down wine.
    Promoo - Agent, Clan on Rimor
    Still alive but now dressed in spandex and called Big Gun in CoH
    Keeper Of Tiggy

Happy Tree Friends - The best animation on the web

Re: Man

Originally posted by LittleTotem
    One good thing bout being in QUIZ, is i know what he drops.
    QUIZ?

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

I would really like a story line to be incorporated into the day to day activities on rubi-ka. The story line could be implemented in segments...each segment running for a period of 2-3 months. During each segment, you would have to accomplish certain goals depending on what side you were on, and what profession you had. If you accomplished those goals, then you would get a bonus item.

For example...when you log in...you can get a little prompt like the "tips o the day"....

"It is the ---- day of ---- on Rubi-Ka. Currently, there are great tensions mounting between Omni-Tek and the Rebel Clans. As a (blank profession) on the side of (blank), you are charged with several objectives: A, B, C, D, E....(kill X amount of omni mobs, get X amount of tokens, engage the enemy in PvP X amount of times, participate in X amount of FC run events, whatever). You have X days to meet these objectives. Good luck, God Speed...."

Then, depending on how many players on either side actually accomplish their goals during the segment, it will determine how the conflict goes. Perhaps, a one time nuetral/omni/clan outpost will switch sides. Perhaps, a zone will go from 75% to politcal. Whatever.

The mission systems could be tweaked every 3 months to correspond with the different goals set by the over riding storyline.

Now...all we have are all sides going after the same items either through camping or missioning. There is no active ingame storyline to speak of, nor are there any events which actually have an impact on players on a wide scale.

The problem is that this SHOULD have been implemented from the start. I doubt that Funcom will change its "no storyline" policy, and actually start giving a purpose to the citizens of rubi-ka.

But I agree...there should be some reason for our actions other than getting credits or items. Like any good game, its always nice to have goals other than being the richest, best equip'd, and highest level.

Nice post borrace. I'll have to give you a thumbs up on this thread. Good ideas, that are MUCH more exciting than missions.

Plus, the best part about it is that people would feel like they actually had a roll in the conflict by it being put this way... even the Non-PvPers could feel involved in the conflict.

I wonder how hard it would be to implement...

Bump for the great Idea.

hugs

lilnymph
    Originally posted by Cz

Style over Substance

Bump, there is a mob somewhere named 'The One' (with the 's) who claims he and an army of mutants will destroy Omni-Tek. Move the guy to Omni hunting grounds, remove his uber stuff (super-HP, shield, ect.), and make him into a boss, not hard to do.

Drop table for Jesus Christ:

100% Monster Parts
    25% Robes of Christ
    25% Sandals of Christ
    5% Holy Grail

Originally posted by Shub
    Drop table for Jesus Christ:

100% Monster Parts
    ROFL and what are these 'monster parts' supposed to be?
    "This bread is my body, this wine is my blood, drink of it and you'll have eternal life"?

Oh, yes, and the Holy Grail will look good in Camelot. 'Tis such a silly place!
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Originally posted by Demono
    Nice post borrace. I'll have to give you a thumbs up on this thread. Good ideas, that are MUCH more exciting than missions.

Plus, the best part about it is that people would feel like they actually had a roll in the conflict by it being put this way... even the Non-PvPers could feel involved in the conflict.

I wonder how hard it would be to implement...
    do you actually think that this would be implemented? of course not. if it doesn't consist of a simple code tweak or the implementation of a new "fix" item to address specific problems, funcom won't touch it.

Originally posted by Demenzia

ROFL and what are these 'monster parts' supposed to be?
    "This bread is my body, this wine is my blood, drink of it and you'll have eternal life"?

Oh, yes, and the Holy Grail will look good in Camelot. 'Tis such a silly place!
    New tradeskill process...combine QL 200 plasma with Holy Grail.

Ohmygod! JESUS CYBORGS!!!

Just listen to Talk Deviant, it explains their arrival!
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

[joan osborne]
    What if god were one of us...?
    Just a mob like one of us...?
    [/joan osborne]

TC would camp him and hog the loot. Someone would get huffy and leave his guild because Noer wouldn't drink the Pepto-Bismol. Then Redemption would come and gank everyone and steal God loot.

I couldn’t agree with you more Ityn. The excitement of doing missions is long gone. All the mission texts have been read and you know every corner of every layout that a mission can offer. And I simply can not die anymore, nor anyone in my team. The killing is automatic like moving logs from one pile to another. You do it and you think about something else while doing it.

I never scan anymore simply because there is no risk in missions and hence the feeling of gratification at the end of a successful mission is only within the amount of xp you have earned. Something unexpected never happens in any fight, no MPs suddenly pull out a demon, no mobs sound the alarm to call upon their comrades. Healing and calming is more or less obsolete as the fight is over within seconds.

Of course Funcoms simple solution would be to boost the HP of the mobs if we wanted a tougher fight but that would not help. The fight would take longer but the mob would still go down without anyone feeling happy for a job well done.

I want to rescue children and lose xp if I happen to kill them, I want to help that soldier in your example and I want to get puzzles that can keep me occupied between the great heroics I want to participate in!

Jesus would make a killer rollerrat!
    Born on: Wed Jun 27 15:39:10 2001
    Slavor, Soldier, RK1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast