Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Hello everyone!

I wanted to drop by and leave a couple of notes about PvP and what we are currently working on with The Notum Wars. As PvP will be a big part of The Notum Wars we sat down and looked at how PvP works today, which profession is best in PvP and which profession needs a boost. In some cases we wanted a certain profession to be especially proficient at taking out one other profession. I will give you an example of this. The NT will be the fixer killer and he/she will get a special nuke that will be very effective against fixers in grid armor.

PvP battles in The Notum Wars are meant to revolve around tactics where characters of a certain profession will need to take out characters of another specific profession as soon as possible. I won’t go into more details here, but I believe you get the general idea.

See you on the battlefield!

Paper, rock and scissors?

SS - Grandmaster of Fall Damage

Property of the Devil

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for anyone drops to zero

Cool

Originally posted by SS
    Paper, rock and scissors?

Thats about what it sounds like. I wonder if I should start lvling up my nt.
    My small army on rbk2

NT
    Got Nullity Sphere?

Crat

trader
    <--flavor of the month

I See you!

As if Traders are not already GA killers...
    Lion Strimple aka Sware

Well there is already a lot of scissors for a few papers.
    If there's only one prof good vs. another one that should be ok.

It's just totally impossible rigth now.

Maybe the Dev Team should be more precise here.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

I remember back in the early days MA was described as Bane of the Casters. Since then I interrupt spells 100% less than I used to and post 14.6 I cant break roots. With their generally low hp and my nice evades which work best on non weapon primary classes I would think I will be the bane of nt`s in notum wars. Shame I wont be able to move .

Il wait and see and reserve my judgement until some cold hard facts are around though .
    I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me.

You have to be kidding me?

So let me get this straight...

Fixers who have almost zero alpha strike, and have decent defenses against alpha strike, (note:decent as an MA hit me for a 2200 Dimach yesterday), now have to contend with a "NEW" way to die!

You guys did a "decent" job with GA, the limited supply is a bit hard to take for those who don't have it, hence the "decent" rating. I have GA4 and at level 184 all my evades are maxed. Putting on a Ithaca (QL199) will drop my attack rating down to the 860ish range which will really affect the outcome of pvp (but helps somewhat with the alpha strike issue). Using an SMG I have been able to get my Attack rating up to 1079 with the help of Jobe, but now my alpha is down to about 2800 if Im lucky with my Burst.

Also, don't we have enough to contend with, with Traders divesting and plundering untl I have zero AC's(and I do mean absolute zero)? We really "Need" a "GA Killer"???? Also lets not forget "Nano shutdown" which also happens to be a "Fixer with GA killer".

I have no issue with this add, if in fact my Maxed Nano resist will stop the never ending Plundering/Divesting/nano shutdown that I get when PvPing.

Hopefully with the init changes the Manex will help me, I guess time will tell on that front, just please don't fall into the "Fixers are Uber" plot, because to be honest I feel as if we are on an even playfield at this point.

Coag
    So, it's sorta social, Demented and SAD, but social.
    (The Breakfast Club)
    Coagulator - General of the Professionals

Re: Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Originally posted by Belith
    Hello everyone!

I wanted to drop by and leave a couple of notes about PvP and what we are currently working on with The Notum Wars. As PvP will be a big part of The Notum Wars we sat down and looked at how PvP works today, which profession is best in PvP and which profession needs a boost. In some cases we wanted a certain profession to be especially proficient at taking out one other profession. I will give you an example of this. The NT will be the fixer killer and he/she will get a special nuke that will be very effective against fixers in grid armor.

PvP battles in The Notum Wars are meant to revolve around tactics where characters of a certain profession will need to take out characters of another specific profession as soon as possible. I won’t go into more details here, but I believe you get the general idea.

Why don't you just remove the range cap.

I'd like that alot!!

Well, the problem is that Traders (and MPs, don't forget to nerf MPs! /me ducks) are the anti-EVERYTHING. Safe to say that pretty much any class surprised by a Trader or MP in team PvP is kinda boned. Fixers lose GA, Docs lose their uber heals, Enfs lose damage buffs, etc etc.

Of course, the introduction of debuff-cancelling items in NW changes it all around. I'd really rather have had those remain in EpPurge, because now they have to re-balance all of the classes to make up for it. It changes the rocks-papers-scissors.

Doc-specifically, they can't do much. Getting to CH is friggin' easy. So giving us something like the NT's up-coming 2hb uber-nuke item isn't really an option to persuade us from not fighting. Now, since the debuffs can be cancelled, crits are nerfed, etc, what is the only thing "balancing" docs is mediocre weapon damage. In team PvP, it may be enough to make a Doc concentrating on weapon wielding not really worth it, to instead focus on tradeskills and using the debuff cancellers. But in either case, it'll become pretty bloody hard to take out a Doc one on one (have you ever seen 2 Docs fight?) and call for a "balancer"... /me shudders

BTW, rock-paper-scissors works out a lot better in team PvP than you'd think. It is the one place chaotic enough where Agents going into sneak actually doesn't get noticed that much, an Engineer can hide effectively, and you can't quite pick out the healer among the enemy group (and the lag).
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Well

Remove the range cap then .
    The debuff has a shorter range than a root, nuke .. ect
    So root the trader and kill him.

Why even set a range on nano's, weapons, ect.. if we all can hit the range cap. Range is worthless unless your rooting a melee class.

Belith,

As it is now Fixers just evacuate when they see a NT in the battlefield. What will stop them from doing that in Notum Wars?

You know

Originally posted by Vegan
    As it is now Fixers just evacuate when they see a NT in a battlefield. What will stop them from doing that in Notum Wars?
    Nothing ..lol

So what i do is make them emotional.
    Root them over and over before that grid ..
    5 minute time out ..lol.. AT LEAST!!

Originally posted by Vegan
    Belith,

As it is now Fixers just evacuate when they see a NT in the battlefield. What will stop them from doing that in Notum Wars?

Loosing the tower? Duh...
    Lion Strimple aka Sware

Originally posted by Razishlyat
    Well, the problem is that Traders (and MPs, don't forget to nerf MPs! /me ducks) are the anti-EVERYTHING. Safe to say that pretty much any class surprised by a Trader or MP in team PvP is kinda boned.
    Frankly, I'd think a Doc was anti-EVERYTHING a hell of a lot more then an MP. Lets see....ubt...or dominate/nanoshutdown. How many would rather have which.

The truth is that since the game mechanics are fubar, nanos are a small piece of the pie when it comes to pvp. It is why we all wield the same weapons while all using the same scopes. Hp or Nano? Are they really a 1:1 equality? Same thing with weapons and nanos. 1:1?

Supposedly I'll be given a nano that takes 17 seconds to cast, and almost 900 nano that reduces the snare/roots on my pets. Does this sound like the work of a developer who has a clue about game mechanics?

While I'm glad that at least Funcom seems to understand that pvp is a team/mass activity, their past history tends to show an aweful lot of nerfing to appease the 'sit in Tir arena 24/7 for 1v1 duel' crowd. So I'm not holding my breath on any useful pvp tweaks.

Edit: Range in this game is a joke.
    Second Edit: Reread your post. Apparantly you're clueless so I'm sorry for ripping in to you. :P
    Last edited by Zylina; Nov 4th, 2002 at 22:00:05.

as far as Traders are concerned. in group pvp. Im targeted first. Im always the first to die.

The best tactic i can come up with in group pvp is divest as many people as possible before I die.

In group pvp, Traders are the number one target and it doesnt take 2-3 people shooting at a trader long to kill him. died in secs.

Being a major target is not always a good thing, me and the reclaim terminal are good friends.

Traders dont like group PvP. So, I think in Notom Wars. We will be well balance. (the worst think a group can do is not take out the Traders and MPs first.)

-my 2 cents.

Oh, on another note: it would be nice if there was a toggle button that you could click on that would make the other side look diff. The major problem in group pvp right now is everyone looks the same. It would be like everyone been ken dolls in the same uniform. - Right now all you do is [tab] and fire. No real stratagy there.

What do u think
    Last edited by Odian102; Nov 4th, 2002 at 21:13:46.
    Omni Trader on RK2

Just curious....who's engi's gonna be good against?
    Animoy - Lvl 220 Soldier on Rk-1 - General of Legion
    Athillon - Lvl 162 Engineer on Rk-1 - Member of Legion - Nerf Engi button in creation room - Sleeping

The NT will be the fixer killer and he/she will get a special nuke that will be very effective against fixers in grid armor.

So there is gonna be a nano ressist debuff now?
    I AM Kantarell I AM Mbutu
    Techno-Wizard is the most fun to play!

Re: Re: Some PvP tweaking coming up in The Notum Wars

Originally posted by Qui-Athillon

Just curious....who's engi's gonna be good against?

None, this changes will not apply for the Engineer class of course.
    I AM Kantarell I AM Mbutu
    Techno-Wizard is the most fun to play!

Originally posted by Zylina

Edit: Range in this game is a joke.
    Range in this game needs to be addressed.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast