Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Remove the mechanics for complete IPR and burn the disks the code is on!

Remove the mechanics for complete IPR and burn the disks the code is on!

Another full IP reset should never be considered ever again. Trash the code. Promote the coder that wrote it so he's nowhere near a compiler ever again. And make sure you tell everyone that you have induced amnesia and have no idea what a "Full IPR" means.

There hasn't been a single good reason I've seen to have a full reset yet. The first one was backed up by excellent reasons: changes to skill's ip requirements for some professions and the people that lost IP due to bugs. But that hasn't happened.

What a Full Reset does is give people instant access to content. That isn't right by a long shot. The people that invested in the skills needed to take advantage of that content deserve their access to that content. They don't deserve 100 instant tradeskill twinks to compete with. They don't deserve 1000 instant clones of themselves, losing whatever unique value they had before.

Now I don't have a problem with people earning new reset points, provided they earn them. But that's an individual reset point. Not a chance to completely remake a character into whatever is profitable this week. And if a complete reset was given, 90% of the people demanding one now would be back after the next patch demanding another one again. Because of some cool new item got added outside the skills they chose.

Dump the full reset code into a black hole. And never let it be mentioned again.
    History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave. - Edmund Morris

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

I'll drink to that!
    Alvador Proud member of [url=http://www.nanoclan.com]Storm

as long

as you are able to get individual reset points in a quest kind of way not involving camping i am ok with that.

iprs should be to keep your character in the game not to reroll on a whim.

i think a timer of 2-6 weeks for the quest for additional iprs should be in order.

if however the hard cap of 15 iprs for every character ever stays, i suggest a full ipr at least every year, maybe every 3 months.
    sept 03 - the day ao was keeled by sl.

gone now. byebye.

Yep. No more full IPRs, but the occasional extra single IPR point is the way to go. Enough already with the cry for full IPRs. Every try not spending your IPR points lightly?

Two bumps up.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

It's simple to me:

Create a machine that for X tokens (say like 250) + a fee (say like 100k credits) give you 1 IPR. For Neutrals, who have no tokens, make the price 500k credits.

No camping. No repetitive quests. Part money sink. People won't overly use it for fear of losing their token board benefits. Neutrals will get a slight benefit for being Neutral by having freedom to move around skills. And it's easy to implement.

The first faults are theirs that commit them, the second theirs that permit them. - Unknown

Did you ever get the feeling that the world had an abundance of idiots? And that God had arranged for you to meet every single one of them before you died? - Kuroshio

I still want a full IRP.. or i want the 8 IPR points back i had to use to reset my skills, after my total IPR failed (didnt reset any of my skills) and a GM told me they could do nothing about it.

[edit] Its a hell of a lot easier to make 500k credits, then 250 tokens.. make it 1 mill creds per IPR, twice every 3 months if this system was ever implimented imo

how about <charLvL> * 100K creds ?

that would be 10 mil at lvl 100, and 20 mil at lvl 200.

at higher levels, even 1 mil creds is too easy to get for IPR points,
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

Originally posted by speardancer

IMO, there should never be a linear relation to character level, simply because a character's ability to make money doesn't rise linearly. I think I made my first million around level 60. At about level 90, I had 10, at level 100, I had 20 and now, at level 121, I have 50.

I don't think money should be required for new IPRs at all. Tokens might be a good idea. But then you'd have the problem that a TL1 char only makes 1 token per mission while a 175+ char gets 9. Granted, a TL1 char wouldn't have much need for additional IPR points, but still...

I think a quest - perhaps something like the Fixer grid quest? - is the best solution. Of course, one should only be able to complete the quest once in a fixed OUT OF GAME period of time. And there should be a lot of these quests, so that it won't be too repetitive and people won't get in each other's ways during the quest.
    Vanguard Mharc. Self-equipper extraordinaire no longer. I'm back!

Originally posted by speardancer

Whatever works to provide people with some freedom to reset skills without providing 100 insta twink clones every other week.

The needs for Full Reset are long dead. Melt any exisiting CDs where the code might be found. I can deal with people gradually becoming a different character type. But there's no justifying being able to instantly become a completely different character because people want to follow every trend out there.

Originally posted by Mharc

IMO, there should never be a linear relation to character level, simply because a character's ability to make money doesn't rise linearly. I think I made my first million around level 60. At about level 90, I had 10, at level 100, I had 20 and now, at level 121, I have 50.

I don't think money should be required for new IPRs at all. Tokens might be a good idea. But then you'd have the problem that a TL1 char only makes 1 token per mission while a 175+ char gets 9. Granted, a TL1 char wouldn't have much need for additional IPR points, but still...

I think a quest - perhaps something like the Fixer grid quest? - is the best solution. Of course, one should only be able to complete the quest once in a fixed OUT OF GAME period of time. And there should be a lot of these quests, so that it won't be too repetitive and people won't get in each other's ways during the quest.
    A character's ability to raise money may not raise linearly (though I'd argue that it does until the character can access QL 200 items via mission terminals), but the credits do accumulate in a linear fashion. I hadn't considered it, but any static cost would be open for "abuse" (I use the term very lightly) by higher level players because their resource pool is much wider than lower levels.

A quest or series of quests would also require constant developer time to create, implement, and tweak. Along with Support time to resolve issues with the quest (hello Alvin/Dodga). A machine keeps it simple.

Remember that this game doesn't allow you to train skills.

UO actually had the best system I've seen in an mmorpg. The more you did something the better you got at it. (even if it was with a mouse macro program)

THIS IS A GAME

Things in the game change, when they do so drastically more than a single ipr is applicable.

They promised ways to earn more ipr. This has so far not been implemented.

What I'm trying to say is that I welcome any chance that someone gets to restructure their characters. Nothings worse than a character you really care about stuck with a bunch of skills that no longer do what they did when you invested ip into them.

So what if someone makes a tradeskill mule? More than likely they still need 1,000,000,0000 credits worth of Ub3r 1007 to use those tradeskills for anything but implants or chem maussers. And the wolrd certainly needs more chem maussers with 2/3 of everyone having a fixer alt/main.

I think there are far more unbalancing things than letting everyone get a chance to have as much fun as YOU.

And my main still has all his IPR thanks.

You're ignoring that Shadowlands will have the profession specializations. They've specifically said that this functionality will include changing skill colors around for each prof based on which one you choose.

In order for this to become anything but a clear exploit waiting to happen, they *MUST* include a full IPR, mandatory, when you choose that subtemplate profession.

Hence, the full IPR is going to come back if you want that level of game functionality, regardless of your half-justified 'insta-content-access' argument. Not everyone wants to roll up a new level 150 character for whatever good loot they happen upon with their main.

How about the ability to spend XP for IPR's...
    That you perhaps could set a percentage of XP to go into a IPR pool and when that pool got up one "lvl" (pool full of XP) you get one IPR...
    Flapsie Clan Nanomage NT, Former Knights of Rubi-Ka
    Now: Ancarim Iron Legion
    Many alts from all Professions...
    -----------------------------------------------
    "The man with a new idea is a crank, until the idea succeeds" -
    Mark Twain

Originally posted by smotheredhope

Ahem. This is exactly why they give out so little information. They did NOT promise. They said they might consider adding it. That wasn't a promise.

Originally posted by smotheredhope
    Remember that this game doesn't allow you to train skills.

UO actually had the best system I've seen in an mmorpg. The more you did something the better you got at it. (even if it was with a mouse macro program)

THIS IS A GAME

Things in the game change, when they do so drastically more than a single ipr is applicable.

What I'm trying to say is that I welcome any chance that someone gets to restructure their characters. Nothings worse than a character you really care about stuck with a bunch of skills that no longer do what they did when you invested ip into them.

So what if someone makes a tradeskill mule? More than likely they still need 1,000,000,0000 credits worth of Ub3r 1007 to use those tradeskills for anything but implants or chem maussers. And the wolrd certainly needs more chem maussers with 2/3 of everyone having a fixer alt/main.

I think there are far more unbalancing things than letting everyone get a chance to have as much fun as YOU.

And my main still has all his IPR thanks.
    Who cares if someone makes a tradeskill mule? How about the people that spent 175 levels building a reputation as a tradeskill person?

This is a game, agreed. It is an RPG. RPGs are about character development. Without that character development, you reduce the game to a very bad FPS where not even player skill matters. Because all the toons are the same.

Deluded as they may be, I can understand SOE/Verant's decision to allow only 1 character per server in SWG. It's gonna backfire on them, but they are attempting to emphasize character development as the core of the game.

Very simply put:

It is not fair to the people that did dedicate themselves to a particular path only to have someone INSTANTLY become what they worked long hours to be.

That even applies to the PvP gods in the game. They did the work to develop their characters into the PvP menaces they are now. They do not deserve to have their work instantly copied through the use of IPR

Originally posted by Kuroshio

Very simply put:

It is not fair to the people that did dedicate themselves to a particular path only to have someone INSTANTLY become what they worked long hours to be.

Are you referring to a thousand people making tradeskill twinks? I'm all for it, if you care, and I'm an engy.. yea.. I love tradeskills so much.

~Chris

Originally posted by Megabio

Are you referring to a thousand people making tradeskill twinks? I'm all for it, if you care, and I'm an engy.. yea.. I love tradeskills so much.

~Chris
    LOOOL that made me laugh... tradeskill twinks haha

Originally posted by Megabio

~Chris
    I had a great riposte for this, but it was too insulting to all engineers to use.

I will say given your attitude and self-proclaimed purpose on these forums, I'd expect you to be for anything that causes a conflict. Therefore what you're all for can be discounted pretty easily.

Fear the trolls dude

Just make 1 IP reset point = to xp needed to lvl. Basically you could switch your xp over to IPR and earn a point, but not regular xp. That way you could choose to work on fixing a broke char or for 200s gives you a reason to xp.

Cheers
    Sepaku
    131 Atrox Fixer

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast