View Poll Results: Should numbers be accepted in character names?

Voters
464. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, leave it like it is

149 32.11%
  • No, stop people from using numbers in the names

315 67.89%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Numbers in in-game names?

Yes Zag, In real life you can't pick your name you start with. In AO, you can choose. That's what we are discussing here, the right to choose. Is that simple enough for you now?
    RK2
    Qwikz - HUGE Inc.

"I should get one of those signs that says "One of these days I'm gonna get organezized".

I think the policy should just be left as it is. Like many people have already said, the numbers don't bother me as much as the outright purposefully stupid names. Those names are never going to get moderated unless they break the naming policy, and to be honest, I think its kind of petty to petition about someone elses nickname unless its really offensive.

Just another example of how numbers fit into sci-fi type names... Anyone remember 3Jane from Neuromancer?

Numbers in names don't bother me at all, in a sci-fi setting I don't think they have any negative effect on roleplay. I say keep them, it won't serve any purpose to ban them other than to annoy people and generate even more ill will toward roleplayers.

And yeah, I do remember 3Jane.

Originally posted by Dyna18
    So what does this mean...

I have to quickly build all my characters now because later I can't anymore?

(at least not with the names I want)

well, looking at the names in your sig, all you do is use the same name and add numbers to them

wheres the creativity in that? how long did you sit down to think of a name for your chars also? 90210? lol yeah ok

but i also have to say that some names that include numbers are kinda catchy.. like Johnny5 (the old movie) etc.. BUT i dont think that these types of names fit in a mmorpg.

Why not?

BUT i dont think that these types of names fit in a mmorpg
    -Phiall

But can you tell us why you think they "don't fit"?

No one has come up with any reason yet why they feel numbers arent fitting. They only say they don't prefer them but havent given any reason why.

We've already demonstrated multiple instances where numbers in names are used in science-fiction. It's very acceptable. Why would this science fiction game (AO) be any different?
    Last edited by Qwikz/Fixalotty; Mar 18th, 2003 at 09:32:09.
    RK2
    Qwikz - HUGE Inc.

"I should get one of those signs that says "One of these days I'm gonna get organezized".

This is something they should have changed from the start.

No need to do any changes now.

What if you are a crat and want to name yourself after a droid?

What if you want to add to the cloning (when you die and end up next to a reclaim) feeling and name yourself something with a number?

If they remove numbers it will be yet another dumb thing because then it will be players with names and players that want to have numbers in their name but are not allowed.

Btw, I have never ever created a character with a number in its name but I support those that got one.
    Winterizer lvl 213 Solitus Keeper
    Alien level 14
    Date of registration 2001-06-28
    Played in beta 4
    Unit leader of Ragnarok

Thank you for the feedback everybody. Closing the thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456