Thread: Painful observations

Painful observations

I have been playing AO intensively for a couple of weeks now, and have made some observations both as a programmer and as a game player. Observations, hmm no it's a complaint session.

AO does some nice things with perspective and with landscapes. Why then can't they fix the stupid layout on the right?

The mini-map should take the same screen real estate regardless of resolution. Don't say it can't happen - they scale graphics with the plus and minus keys now.

Vertical real-estate. Dont let it roll off the screen. Hide dialogs that aren't used together. I dont need to see maps/what I am wearing while I am doing team or chat groups.

Chats - Make them persist between logins. Give me the ability to see who is in a group, and to add other groups to a chat group. Don't force the other ppl to accept, just allow them the squelch. Use a tree control. Chatting is so vital that this interface makes me want to start slapping people.

Game goals. Ok, they have a long running story line. Great. So what are we supposed to do in the short run? Missions? Two weeks in and I am bored of them. Killing Omni's? Then either have us level faster, or make guards weaker. I don't have the attention span to spend two months building a character just to kill guards. Since the mechanics of killing are basically automated, purely combat intensive goals will flop (as they have)

Put a cap on resurrection. If you die after lvl 50, stay dead. Right now, being a high lvl character only means you don't have a life.

Lag. AO competes against free services, and still lags me. at $15 per month, that's not acceptable.

Why does a map have a navigation requirement? Are you saying that 30K years in the future, they can't make maps as simple as my gas station can? - jhlglljg (pounding head on keyboard here)

I am trying to be patient. I know that this is a new product. It will take a while to address issues, and make it more playable.

AO does charge real money though, and if I don't see these problems being addressed, I will vote with my feet. At this point, I can't see forking over money very long to play this game.

(Posted also on www.yagyu.com)

eh ?

Resurrection cap ? Heh, I really hope you die because of lag sometime

"Put a cap on resurrection. If you die after lvl 50, stay dead. Right now, being a high lvl character only means you don't have a life."

So according to your logic, anyone who plays AO doesn't have a life. Does this make sense? Sounds like jealousy is in the air.

level 50

Besides, you'll reach that level within 2 or 3 months even if you aren't addicted and only play a few hours, a few days a week.

Re: Painful observations

Originally posted by Hazutoya
    Put a cap on resurrection. If you die after lvl 50, stay dead. Right now, being a high lvl character only means you don't have a life.
    Thats not very useful because if you ever die above level 50 unless you are a no lifer you won't be building up another character. And if you die after you go link dead a crash or in lag you will be mightily annoyed.

I agree that death should be more significant, like all your implants removed so they would need to be re-implanted again, all your armour and weapons removed as well so it all needs to be re-equiped. Damage on armor and weapons perhaps reducing their quality level.

death

Nah, those are just plain annoying. I'm all for deleveling, this game is way too easy so far =)

lvl 50 cap

If there is no penalty to death, then your character has zero relevance to how well you play.

No jealousy here.

Just trying to make the game worth playing. The Funcom people have done a nice job with the 3D aspects of the game.

Would be a shame to see it gone in a couple years because the lacked strategic vision.

death

Yea I agree completely if you say that death should be penalized. No staying dead though.
    I was kind of surprised when I found out how little you lose when you die.

You lose xp, you lose credits (although a small sum) because you have to heal up, rebuff and cast new pet.

But most of all, you lose time. I wonder why so many people skip that word when it comes to investments.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Good gameplaying should be rewarded - not just killing thigns in mass numbers without caution or care for personal safety. There is a HUGE diff between a level 100 char who is played poorly and a level 60 char played well - but that level 100 guy, with nothing but a lot of time on his hands, can level more, have better stuff, fly around, etc.

OTOH, my current main character has died twice so far; once from a zoning not working while trying to flee after being jumped by 3 oranges in a mission, and again because I crashed after zoning into a mission and relogged into Athens, having lost half a level of XP. That isn't to say that I don't risk death a lot; I just usually come out of it OK. The game is boring when played too easy.
    Last edited by Zagadka; Nov 28th, 2001 at 09:05:47.