Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Death of a Fixer ..... the SL murder of a profession

You fixers are not alone in your misery.

Uhm .. Well, you almost are. Don't see many traders nowadays ..

And not crats either.
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability

Yes were not alone, but this is a fixer thread

The point is not to adapt at any cost, the point is to enjoy your char.
    You can push a broken car around and adapt, hey its still moving!, but it isnt the same as driving is it.

No fast travel, nominal speed, no roots, no area snares, single ultra short duration snares that hardly affect a mob, evacs that need a garden key equiped in the slot for the range extender.
    Wow that is a lot of abilities to loose in one go, thats really striping a character, thats almost every ability!.
    So in the end you have hots that are outdated, definetly subpar to the new damage and perks that allow you to have less defence then you had on RK.
    Its ugly and it was designed this way rather thoughtlessly.
    I know some other profs had some abilities taken as well, its equally as bad, Im not sure if as many as fixers did, but eather way, its a mess.
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

Even EQ learned not to take away key abilities of a class when you put out an expansion.

If you have to tkae away key abilities for a design to work..then it's a bad design.

Originally posted by Steelyeye
    My philosophy has always been that change is a good thing. It forces you to try different things, change your stratagies. In the end you end up with a better character. SL been out what 1 2 months do you thing that everything that need to be found or do has been done? Maybe there is something out there that will change your character for the better.......
    Dude, you aren't getting it at all. They took away every single core Fixer ability. Roots, snares, runbuffs (SL runbuffs are a joke), evac, grid. Except for our guns those are the only offensive capabilities we have.

How do you propose I "adapt"? On Rubi-Ka we are like weak versions of soldiers without an MK shield but at least we could add something to a team or solo with our roots and snares. Now we bring absolutely nothing with us when looking for a team in Shadowlands. Our HoTs are ineffective against normal everyday mobs doing over 1k damage every hit. Our roots and snares are laughably inadequate. Our evac line requires us to take out a range extender to use it making what is currently our best guns have less range than ANY melee mob (16M on an MCS, 14M for a Manex, which makes that less range than most pistols). The only "adapting" I can do is to stand there now and pray the mob dies first, or run away to the next zone to lose aggro if I can't kill it. Sorry but that isn't why I play a Fixer. There is no strategy involved at all if absolutely none of my nanos can make the slightest difference in the outcome of a fight. I might as well not even have uploaded them. Seriously, using everything at my disposal I still have to run like a girl sometimes from a level 130 spirit type mob.

The only adapting I will be doing is adapting to resisting the urge to leave RK and go "check out" Sls.

Edit: As a somewhat extreme example, take away an NTs nukes and take pets away from MPs/Crats/Engies and tell them they need to adapt to a new strategy. They can all use a gun so it' a viable argument.
    Last edited by Slyyk; Oct 22nd, 2003 at 19:52:23.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Originally posted by Slyyk

Dude, you aren't getting it at all. They took away every single core Fixer ability. Roots, snares, runbuffs (SL runbuffs are a joke), evac, grid. Except for our guns those are the only offensive capabilities we have.

How do you propose I "adapt"? On Rubi-Ka we are like weak versions of soldiers without an MK shield but at least we could add something to a team or solo with our roots and snares. Now we bring absolutely nothing with us when looking for a team in Shadowlands. Our HoTs are ineffective against normal everyday mobs doing over 1k damage every hit. Our roots and snares are laughably inadequate. Our evac line requires us to take out a range extender to use it making what is currently our best guns have less range than ANY melee mob (16M on an MCS, 14M for a Manex, which makes that less range than most pistols). The only "adapting" I can do is to stand there now and pray the mob dies first, or run away to the next zone to lose aggro if I can't kill it. Sorry but that isn't why I play a Fixer. There is no strategy involved at all if absolutely none of my nanos can make the slightest difference in the outcome of a fight. I might as well not even have uploaded them. Seriously, using everything at my disposal I still have to run like a girl sometimes from a level 130 spirit type mob.

The only adapting I will be doing is adapting to resisting the urge to leave RK and go "check out" Sls.

Edit: As a somewhat extreme example, take away an NTs nukes and take pets away from MPs/Crats/Engies and tell them they need to adapt to a new strategy. They can all use a gun so it' a viable argument.

I've set my fixer aside and use him only to shop for items in gardens my alts can't get to yet. I've tired of arguing our point about what has happened to our profession. I've simply given up.

That being said, I'll second what Slyyk and others have said in this post. We are barely a shadow (haha) of our previous selves.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Slyyk I do see your point, and I do agree that fixers are having the most problems concerning SL. But you are missing my point also.

First off all the problems you have stated, mob doing 1k damage and nanos not being effective, is happening to everyone class. Also just about everyone guns has less range then melee mobs( I am getting hit by melee mobs 30M+ away). And I run from green mobs I try to solo. Grey mob can gang up and pound me into the dirt. This is not a fixer only problem. I will use my soldier main as an example, I cant use RRFE and the replacement nano line doesnt even come close. Yes I have MK X so I last 1:20 sec longer then get ganked by a green mob. I do not have HOT/runbuff/evac to use or get from a fixer in SL.

These problems and more have been well documented in these forums over and over again. And I really do not want to get into them. Maybe its just me and I am overly optimistic, but I believe FC will fix most of these things and SL will be under control.

What I mean by adapting is that SL is an entirely different game. If this was intended by FC or not I do not know its just the way I see it. It is also clear that SL can not be soloed (maybe if you were level 220 but who knows that yet) by anyone, it is a team oriented game. A team can handle SL without needing the normal buffs. Its my opinion also that I do not believe that FC would purposely take anything away from a class with out having a way to get around it in SL (could just be my overly optimistic opinion again). So to be effective in SL we must find a way around these obstacles.

And last SL hasnt even been out 2 months, so I do not believe anyone can claim to be an expert in SL yet. Then I read these forums saying that its the end everything in AO because of SL. My point is instead of complaining about what we cant do, lets find out what we can do. What do we need to do or get to compensate for our missing buffs/nanos? If I remember when AO was released it wasnt the game it was today after 2 months.

I find SL challenging and it has kept my interest. I am in SL almost everyday trying new things and looking for new things. Have I completly adapted yet, no but I am not going to stop looking or trying.

As I said before maybe I just some overly optimistic fanboi, I dont know, but lets give FC a chance to adjust SL first. If it take 6 months to a year so be it, I got other mmorpgs to try. Also lets wait and see what is coming up as players get farther and farther into SL, before we start saying that AO or any class is dead and buried.

My last post, flame if you want.
    Steelyeye, Omni soldier 192 - The original, RK1.
    Goodcoffee, Omni crat 121 - Because crats are cool, RK1.
    Suppo, Omni trader 20 - First time on Rimor *smiles*, RK2.

Originally posted by Didymus
    And not crats either.
    I sure don't know why that is... I teamed with a crat today to get my last Deuterium Collector and all I have to say about that is, "Wow, fears are absolutely uber!"
    "On the brink of the dark he stood, with only the dream of the cities, the million books, the spectral images of the people he had loved, who had loved him, whom he had known and lost. They will not come again. They never will come back again."

-Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), Look Homeward, Angel

Cool

Humm ... I really dont feel a gimp in Sl ... am 188 and can survive against 5 or even 6 (un) redemed mobs in Adonis, can kill 140 spirits 1VS1 as well as 170 hecklers ... I could solo all Ely bosses for embryo ...
    The important thing is evades : mkIII, def and evdes perks running, triple implanting, def tower and full def with ILB

I wasn't trying to flame you Steelyeye. I know all of the professions are feeling the nerfbat in Shadowlands, just not to the degree that Fixers are. Everyone has nanos that are supposed to have SL replacements and even some shiny new ones. However, not all of the professions have had every single offensive nanos across the board stripped from them all at once with no replacement to look forward to. Also, the new nanos for other professions all have versions that greatly enhance their power and surviveability, except Fixers.

Have you seen the highest mongo for Enforcers? +17000 (that's seventeen thousand) hitpoints. Our highest Shadowlands snare is single target only and lowers runspeed -800. The single snare I'm using now debuffs run by -1080! Yes that's right. Some of our highest level SLs "new and improved" nanos are less effective than what we are using now. Take the roots for example.....oh wait we don't get new ones. Ok then the new area snares. Nope, we don't have new ones for those either.
    New HoTs? Nope. Runbuffs? Well, I would have to get to level 201 to cast a runbuff that is +5 more runspeed than GSF, and there is only one other runbuff higher that adds a whopping 820 versus the 720 I can use in Rubi-Ka now at half the required nanoskills. Evacs will require everyone to take their Yatamutchys' out of HUD1 and put a garden key there. How many people are willing to lose weapon range for this? Not many I wager.

What do Fixers actually gain with SLs nanos? Two self-only evade lines, that's it. So with nothing new for a team to want a Fixer for how are we supposed to get a team? Since we will be needing those evades because we will more than likely have to solo, yet we get nothing to increase our damage and our offensive nanos suck goat ass, what exactly are we to look forward to? The answer is nothing, stay on Rubi-Ka.

Edit: I must have been looking at something wrong. Our best ne SLs snare lowers runspeed by -2000. Still though, that's the only really decent replacement we get for anything.
    Last edited by Slyyk; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 01:31:43.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Steelyeye, I am afraid that you are indeed missing the point. Let me run it down for you...

1.) HoTs have NOT scaled in SL to help compensate for the higher damage. Let alone the fact that now another prof has emerged that has taken our place of HoT kings, which now means that teams tend to take keepers along instead of fixers.

2.) Even when our evacs are fixed (which is soon reading the prelim patch notes), they are still SELF ONLY. So not only are our HoTs going to be of less importance to teams in SL, but they aren't going to want us for evacs either (MP's actually got that distinction now).

3.) Fixer runbuffs are downright pathetic in SL. You need nearly the same skills to cast the SECOND SL runbuff as you do to cast the BEST RK runbuff. Also take into acount that the 2nd SL runbuff only adds 400 to runspeed, where as GSF adds 720.

4.) Our evasion abilities are greatly hampered in SL due to the fact that SL mobs have a much MUCH higher AR than RK mobs. So even if we did get agro, we'd be pounded flat in a matter of seconds. For auxiliary damage and support, that's not exactly worthwhile if said support spends most of the time in the team running back to where he was killed. Only in extreme cases, like Vanzen with triple implants, def tower, def and evade perks running (def perk has a 10 min recharge and a 1~ min duration), and going full def do evades really start to help.

5.) If we want to evade at all we need to be full def, in which our best weapons are almost useless without 2500+ RI, and if we're full def, our damage output is reduced, which again hurts our teaming abilities.

6.) RK snares and roots RARELY work in SL, though they do work. Maybe 5% of the time you use them. With that kind of functionality, they may as well be removed. Which leaves us with just our SL snares that hardly affect mobs and lasts for a fraction of the time our RK snares used to.

7.) NCU buffs are really no longer needed in the end game with the Yuttos NCU now available. We are still desirable for NCU buffs in the early - mid game, but those levels fly by very quickly now. What are we going to do in end game when nobody needs our NCU buffs?

So now I ask you, what defines a fixer? Travel ability? Removed in SL. Solo ability? Removed in SL. Evade ability? Severly hampered in SL. Speed? Severly hampered in SL. Crowd control? Severly hampered in SL. Damage output? We've never been great damage dealers, only mediocre ones. Healing ability? In SL our HoTs are only marginally effective.

Basically it comes down to fixers having virtually no place in SL. Period. No other prof has been so hampered or hurt by this expansion. None. In fact, many have been given a LOT more power. Enf's now have access to ungodly HP. Advents are veritable gods in SL. Sure, there are also other professions who have suffered. NT's might have gotten the cyberdecks (which is a sore point with alot of fixers), but SL mobs also seem to have hellacious NR so their nukes and mezzes don't work nearly as well. But, that brings me to my last point....

This is a fixer forum, and a fixer thread, where we discuss the viability of fixers. 'Nuff said.

Originally posted by Steelyeye
    My philosophy has always been that change is a good thing. It forces you to try different things, change your stratagies. In the end you end up with a better character. SL been out what 1 2 months do you thing that everything that need to be found or do has been done? Maybe there is something out there that will change your character for the better.

I dont know about you guys but I was tired of doing these endless missions over and over again. I am pretty sure I can do a ql 200+ team mission without dying. SL has to me atleast been a nice change in pace. Is SL perfect, hell no. Is there a chance it will get better, I would say yes.

I will admit that fixers did get shafted in SL, but to say you cant do anything in SL is wrong. Good players learn to adapt. Fixers I seen in SL do quite well. One thing players are thinking is that you can solo SL, well you cant. SL is a team oriented game You need a team to be successful. Can a team survive without Fixer HOT/speed buffs/evacs, yes they can. Is it nice to have those thing in SL yes it would. So you learn different tactics to replace the old. To get to ergo, in scheol, then to adonis, you need a team.

I am not trying to knock on fixers I just saying that instead of waiting for FC to solve your profs problems tried learning to adapt. Fixers are just as good as any other class in SL.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again...... just for you:

SL is NOT EVERYONES cup of tea. If you like it so much, why are you here commenting instead of in game having YOUR version of "fun"? I don't like SL, and if it stays as it is, I never will. It all comes down to choice of playstyle. You have yours, and I have mine. SL removes that choice entirely and forces everyone to "adapt", as you so eloquently put it. Well, I choose NOT to adapt. I want to continue playing the character I rolled, as I ALWAYS have. And would you like to hear the LAST thing I ever thought i'd hear myself say? Well, here goes:

I was a die-hard EQ'er since beta. I got so sick of the way EQ was going, that I quit EQ to play AO right after it was released. But have renewed my EQ accounts every few months just to keep them active to preserve my characters for the last couple of years now. Well, after SL was released, thus removing the "fun" from the game for me, I figured "what the hell". Logged into EQ, hooked up with some old guildies, and have been playing for the last 3 weeks. Daily. Haven't logged into AO since. Not even for a minute. It appears that SOE has finally come around to listening to thier playerbase, and has made quite a large number of changes that have actually made EQ fun again.

So now AO gets the back burner that EQ once occupied. But the important difference is, I have a multitude of high level EQ characters and only one high level AO character. Making AO not so necessary to hang onto. I'll hold my AO accounts for a while, in the hopes that FC sees the damage they are doing to thier own playerbase, but I won't hold them for too long. Not just for the sake of a single high level character.

So... that being said, YOU "adapt". I'll spend my money elsewhere
    Jennyfyr - TTL7 Fixer and proud Omni General of Alphastrike

The majority represents society. And if the majority of people around you think you're an idiot, you can reasonably assume yourself to be a social outcast

I agree with most of the negative feedback posted here, alas...

just one or two things to add:
    not only are we not viable in the shadowlands, but sadest of all things we bring nothing whatsoever to a team, Zero, nada, nichts, rien.

and about the SL evacs, even if they end up makeing them work for your Team, evacs have lost most of their attractivity and reason of beeing with this whole xp-pool jiberish.
    Example:
    situation A:
    Team goes to save in garden, goes hunting, team gets wiped, team wakes up in garden with all their precious SK in their pool, goes back to hunting, running an hour to get back to the point they were at.
    or Situation B:
    Team goes hunting, team gets nearly wiped, team gets evaced to the garden, no immediate SK loss, goes back to hunting, running an hour to get back to the point they were at.

no major difference between situation A and situation B..

and as borehound pointed out... our NCU buffs are slowly becoming obsolete in the high-end game. The only nice thing they have left is that fixers won't really need that badly to invest into yuttos NCU for a while...
    Kingpin heading for a different grid exit...

My opinion of the current fixer:

Defensive ablilties: pleasently surprised

Offensive abilities: very little difference from Pre-SL

Healing: ablities: Pretty good atm with HOTs and Spindles.

Crowd control: sucks, remove the goddamn speed cap on the snare, damn mobs are on me before I finish casting

What I would like to see:
    1) New Hots(maybe an AOE :X) or Hot Perk
    2) Shorten recharge on SMG specials, recharge is BS on them.
    3) Shorten recharge on deceptive stance

Need to get across to the Devs that our biggest Issue(IMO atleast) is the need for new or improved HOTs.

Otherwise I'm content.

-BW

To be honest the only time i go to sl with my fixer is to pick up some items, or just to waste some time and see what i can pick up off some low mobs.

otherwise he just blitzs for my alt and org mates.

laterz
    The Smurf ME!

and

A Bigger non-smurf ME!(so far!!) UPDATED: SMURFED!!
    UPDATE-UPDATE: Char Deleted.

and the newest edition:

A ugly MP!

Quoted:" nothing to quote anymore:" "Quote nurfed" Laterz

Vanzen now try 155 spirits near the north central enterance to the abyss, 1700 per hit almost every time, it will ignore your defence , your evades and anything you throw at it. Being happy you can do greys, 140sh mobs and 170 hecklers that have low hp is setting your bar a bit low.

SL is not the bane of the fixer class. This is not the death of the fixer. If my time in AO has taught me anything - there will always be fixers. Yes, its tough. Yes we're weak. Yes, you may shelve your fixer and move onto another class -if- you decide to keep playing. To be honest, I've taken breaks - however not one of them has been due to the playability of the fixer class, mostly an overall head cleaning... Bitch, complain, whine, rant... it doesn't matter - seriously... you are a number and a statistic. I remember fixers whose names very few people would know. I remember hunting at the temple with Urhurt and Ragingdragon, passing out guns to other fixers with Sheitz, hanging with Whiterrabbit and Jimmysav. I remember Feathers, my mentor, the fixer who taught me how to be a fixer... A\Besides Feathers, who is only listed in the DB because the player is still around (playing a shade now), all of those fixers are gone... along with Redhill, Skymt, and a host of other GREAT fixers I have known.

I am a fixer. I was ruined on my first day from playing any other class. I enjoy challenges, difficulties, constant playbalance shifts, and an otherwise definite lack of dominance. When we were broken - broken FAR worse than we are now, I enjoyed fixers. When we were successful however, I watched the fixer class grow grubby and greedy (as well as the general populace of RK) and it sickened my stomach - really. I am pompous, righteous, and otherwise self serving when it comes to the survival of the fixers. You're either in this for the long haul, or you're not. If you are, get constructive, and be a POSITIVE voice of the fixers. If you're not, hand your hackers club chip in at the desk, and don't let the door hit you in the back on your way out - we know you won't be gridding anytime soon. Don't dawdle, don't whine, don't think you're the next Spartacus - if you can't bear it, just go. Get constructive or get out. The class isn't dead, it isn't dying its selectively pruning the weakest branches. If its too much for you, guess what? You're weak. Enjoy your class for what it offers, place constructive criticism when necessary - but the class isn't dying... you may be, but the class isn't... It will still be coded and included in the game whether you're here or not.

Get tough, look tough, live tough... You're a fixer, damnit... Yeah, other classes have it better, yeah it isn't fair or balanced... you tell me, when has AO ever been balanced? We've been at the bottom of the heap; we've been at the top of the heap... Here's a hint, don't measure yourself in comparrison with what you're not. If you are jealous of the adventurer, be an adventurer... If you're a fixer, be the best damn fixer you CAN be... if you're still coming up short, well... wait a while, winds change.

Ahh... Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I look forward to the countless flames and "STFU n00b!"s that I'm sure I'll get back... Hey folks, trust me, I can take it... I'm a fixer.

-Yy
    Sometimes, old fixers die in Bitterness.

I've had it

I thinks that this is the end of the line for me im gong to delete my charcters and close my account . I have put so much time and effort into this game only to have them wiped out ...... Fixer has always been my main and after a year and a half I have been robbed . Hm well i know now not to play games with ppl that can change the rules the way they change thier hats and i'm done ..... ha i never even got a MK4 lol.... not that it matters if i would have save/earned/cheated enough credits for it in the eng it got gimped to. Ohhh well enough online games ill never play one agian .... not that i didn't meet alot of cool peeps from all over the world , but it time for me to move on take care and cheers to all the kool ppl i ran into on this server .... I don't have to mention you know who you are .

Durkcotis

I just wanted to second YY's comments. Some of us were around pre 14.4 when face it I got laughed at for playing a fixer Deal with the changes, make em work for you, and if not make a joke about em not working for you
    Layartic - I have no fear of falling but I hate hitting the ground!!
    Sunebam - What you want me to heal too!!??
    Shatterstarr - Just kinda relaxing to let your pets work!

And a few other toons of no notable mention yet

Yes hehe, but if we dont say anything, SL fixer will not change and we can laugh ourselves all the way to canceling the account, or worse yet getting another main :P

Yy, I appreciate you staying positive and stuff, that you're a "veteran" and that there are fixers who played before the "love patch", but ...

I dont honestly know that we're better off in SL than we were before the love patch. Mind you I didnt play a fixer before 14.4, but what did it add? Long term HOT, NCU buff, fixergrid, and SMG buff right?

the AR nerf effectively cancels our SMG buff.

NCU buff is the only thing we DO still have that useful.

Long term hot is nice but hasn't been scaled. Pretty damn useless vs SL mobs hitting for 2-4k NON-CRIT.

No fixergrid or fast transit of any kind in SL.

In exchange, we've had our runbuffs massively nerfed, effectively lost our evacs, and effectively lost all crowd control, as well as travel abilities.

To me losing crowd control is probably the biggest thing. I dont even feel like a fixer without being able to root and snare things. My fixer has been kiting since like level 5. Speed and roots/snares are the TWO things that made fixers fixers since release, and those are two things we lack in SL.^_^

So, like I said, I wasnt a fixer before 14.4, so I dont really know, but looking at the facts, it sure SEEMS like we're worse off in SL than we were before 14.4.

Regardless, no one here was debating that fixers "wouldnt still be in the database", of course we would be. But we sure arent very fun to play. And thats what a game is supposed to be, right?

And besides, FC will never change things unless we voice our concerns. It should be obious at this point that FC devs are busy playing EQ, not AO. ^_^
    Sarenn 209 / 9 Fixer - Armor Setup omg outdated

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast