Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Death of a Fixer ..... the SL murder of a profession

Its group hug time
    Alantria 203 Fixer Squad commander/Recruiter of Eternal Fury

So I log on my fixer to blitz something for my Crat and I get this /tell from a fixer who is TL3 and claims he suxxors. Is using GA 1, good smg, decent skills.....the poor lad list em off to me and is obviously very well informed and concerned. Why do they ask me stuff? I dunno, prol because I look so sheik as a trox....but ANYWAY...The first time this happens I give the lad as good of advice as I can muster with a sincere heart. This last time, yesterday.....I said "Yup, you suxxor". I meant it. There was a silence somewhat akin to that of deep space after that and while I feel bad for letting my own demons infect my response to the lad, I answered from the heart.

I play now with another couple who are a doc and fixer. I intend to shield him from my true feelings as he is having fun at present. I guess the best I can say in a positive light is that with a universal reduction in number of fixers playing, there will be a greater appreciation of fixers for those things that they still do, very well, on RK. Another positive thing is that no matter the gimp-factor...a good player, one who really knows his class, SHINES, even in Sl, even as a fixer.

Whats the most nerfest race/class combo in AO? That would be my trox fixer...thankyouverymuchbye.
    Main: - Vonshot: 217/26 Omni Trox Trader

Alts:
    - Nycrow: 191/11 Trox Fixer
    - Tanknip: 217/14 Trox Doctor, The Cookie Monster
    - Nightswan: 164/5 Solitus Crat
    - Ghostblade: 184/19 Trox Shade
    - Megachug: 57/5 Trox Enforcer
    - Kyllx: 51/5 Opifex Agent

Originally posted by Alantria
    Its group hug time
    Sad and depressing (yet voyeuristic and addictive) site:

GroupHug.us
    PtO.

Originally posted by Nycrow
    This last time, yesterday.....I said "Yup, you suxxor". I meant it.
    Hehe the poor little fixer
    When SL first came out i was verry optimistic, as some might remember from posts I made on these boards. I was having a blast exploring new places, Scheol was my favorite. Finding the path to that floating island was one of my best experiences to date in this game. I must admit, however, I got hit in the face - hard and with my pants down lying in the dirt crying (naaw not that bad, but it sounds funny ). I got quite discouraged and had to take a break from it for awhile. So I started up a kid fixer on Atlantean and guess what? - I'm having a blast again!

Originally posted by Cz

Traders

Still one of the few professions on my "seriously concerned" list, and we've had a meeting about Traders in particular (but also talking about some other professions). Some good ideas came out of that, though I'm not sure about the time frame we're looking at regarding this. Shadowlands tweaks, like those mentioned above, are likely to have a higher priority.
    From this thread.

I'm sure fixers will be looked into and some changes will be made. It might take time etc., but it will happen. We should start concentrating on what could be done to better the current situation, compile a proper document and send it to feedback. While we wait I'll be having fun with my kid fixer, shady deals in the back alleys of Old Athen, blitzing high quality goods for well paying customers, working my way up with the assets given to me.

As Yy said, fixers will never dissapear, peaking out from a dim-lit doorway or from under a hood by a table in the corner of "The Cub", there will always be a fixer or two, there, watching you.

/D
    Last edited by Darumar; Oct 23rd, 2003 at 21:59:10.
    Bullmuzzle - Borealis armsdealer
    Darumar - Retired Blitzer

To Grid, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth.

The human race have always sought outwards, they built spaceships, explored their solar-system, other planets, then the galaxies. We seek inwards, into the Grid - infinite possibilities in finite physical entity - through wires, connectors, processors, transistors - we build a world without boundaries.

You know the whole sad part is that when you make a level 200 char its like your favorite pet/plant you nurtured and enjoy it, no in game decisions should make such a drastic negative impact on what was your little pride, really I cant belive FC or other mmporg devolopers dont see this.

Anyho, all we need is our abilities back, snare, root, speed, travel, and better hots, sure we can use better perks, but at least with those fixes a fixer would be why we started a fixer.

There is hope on the horizon

The devs are turning out an impressive number on changes on TestLive at the moment.
    Ok, not that many are directly related to fixers but I for one don't want hasty fixes, I wan't something good and I understand that will take some time.

Fixes that I like:
    * Changes to Opifex while wearing cloaks. I don't know if this includes Pads and Sunglasses too, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
    * Reload button so you can choose when you want the reload pause.
    * SL-Evac fixed and working. I'm not sure I'll use it so much to evac during battle, but it's a kick-ass transport nano.

* They fixed the garden keys so you can hop between gardens.
    * They've added about a dozen statue exits from each garden. They also moved the exit statues closer to the save area in the gardens, so you don't have to run all over the island.
    * They redesigned the statues from looking like small shrines to small pillars. They look cooler and fit in better with the surrounding landscape.

This is going to make transportation a lot easier in SL, especially for the fixer.

Are a lot of these changes something they throw out to keep us busy and distract us from our problems?
    Sure they are, but these changes were probably designed last month. I can't wait to see the stuff the've been designing now.
    Maybe it's just fluff changes to distract us but it's working on this fixer.
    They've been churning out changes at a steady pace, it's the design phase that takes time.
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

<removed by me> (I dont really care anymore)
    Last edited by Tharney; Oct 24th, 2003 at 01:45:29.

Originally posted by Darumar

Hehe the poor little fixer
    When SL first came out i was verry optimistic, as some might remember from posts I made on these boards. I was having a blast exploring new places, Scheol was my favorite. Finding the path to that floating island was one of my best experiences to date in this game. I must admit, however, I got hit in the face - hard and with my pants down lying in the dirt crying (naaw not that bad, but it sounds funny ). I got quite discouraged and had to take a break from it for awhile. So I started up a kid fixer on Atlantean and guess what? - I'm having a blast again!

From this thread.

I'm sure fixers will be looked into and some changes will be made. It might take time etc., but it will happen. We should start concentrating on what could be done to better the current situation, compile a proper document and send it to feedback. While we wait I'll be having fun with my kid fixer, shady deals in the back alleys of Old Athen, blitzing high quality goods for well paying customers, working my way up with the assets given to me.

As Yy said, fixers will never dissapear, peaking out from a dim-lit doorway or from under a hood by a table in the corner of "The Cub", there will always be a fixer or two, there, watching you.

/D
    Finally! The point understood. You started a new fixer. This is what you had to doing to continue having fun. So what does this say about SL? It tells me that you really don't like the turn the game has taken in relation to SL. And yes, I too was very optimistic about the release. I was really looking forward to having some real fun in some new challenging zones. But alas, this is NOT the case. The one key focus that drew me into AO so long ago, was thier concern that thier hard work was paying off in the form of subscribers having fun. But as of late, the general concensus has been that SL is a "like it of leave" type of expansion very much emulating what EQ became.

Yes. As most do, I have alts that I can play. But thats not what this is really about now is it? Its about change, and what can be done to remedy the situation and put the fun back into the game. And i'll repeat it once again, I realise that change takes time. Things won't be done overnight. And I don't expect that they will. Nor did I say that they should. But nevertheless, something needs to be done. Look around these forums. Every single day its the same thing. More and more players leaving the game. Care to see what the statistics are? Have a look here:

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sirbruce/Subscriptions.html

And thats way back in March. Do you honestly believe that SL has had no effect on these numbers? Not to mention that PC Gamer, or any of the other "well known" entities in the gaming industry have even whispered anything about SL as of yet. I can tell you with due certainty that PC Gamer has staff that subscribes and plays AO on a daily basis. Thier review alone was enough to get me to buy AO and try it out back in '01 after EQ took a turn for the worst.

So as I stated earlier, I think i'll just ride out the storm and check back from time to time to see whats happening. Hopefully, i'll see something meaningful soon that'll return the fun to AO for me. But thats a matter for time to tell.
    Last edited by Jennyfyr; Oct 25th, 2003 at 21:57:20.
    Jennyfyr - TTL7 Fixer and proud Omni General of Alphastrike

The majority represents society. And if the majority of people around you think you're an idiot, you can reasonably assume yourself to be a social outcast

Hmm... well everyone else has thrown in thier two cents worth, so I think I will too

First off as said before, changes don't happen over night. Although having a few posts like this may be good, Continual whining is not. Email the devs, let them know what your opinion is, then let them work

Second As some of us who have been around awhile know we have been worse off I soloe'd my way to lvl 70ish due to the fact noone wanted me in a team I teamed a few times, but that was alot of missions for that xp We can't be worse off now then we were then.

Third, if you started a fixer to be uber, hate to let you know, but you picked the wrong proffession. We were never meant to be gods. Sure we have had our moments. I don't think they were fully intended that way, so some of the "nerfs" you all talk about may be intended to bring us back to what we were supposed to be in the first place. We're supposed to be the people who come up with stuff, be it through a few shady deals or a quick blitz, we can get it for a price. We can get here and there faster than most so we are suited for smuggling. We are not tanks, although we have been given that stigma too due to GA. Yes I've even been corrupted, but I don't believe we were ever supposed to be. So be happy we were for a moment and move on We are supposed to be in the background. We get our shots in here and there, but mainly we are the deal makers. Now Ao has given us many roles throughout the time, but I think that's whats intended if that made any sence?? If it didn't ohh.. well write it off to the desert heat here in Iraq and move on anyways.

On the lighter side, I do recall when Layartic was first rolled up. My two main friends who got me started on AO maybe some of you know them?? Millenko, and Obergiest. They both laughed histerically when I rolled my fixer. They told me they were too hard of a class to play for someone just starting to play. I didn't care I was hooked You don't just play a fixer, you are a fixer! Coincidently, They both have rolled fixers since then But at that time the class sucked plain and simple there was no other way to put it. I still liked the challenge and wouldn't change my decision if I could. I've met alot of people ingame and out, because of my choice then. Being a fixer isn't just playing. It's a Personallity all in it's own.

I am a Fixer, and will always be no matter what game I'm in.

Lay
    Layartic - I have no fear of falling but I hate hitting the ground!!
    Sunebam - What you want me to heal too!!??
    Shatterstarr - Just kinda relaxing to let your pets work!

And a few other toons of no notable mention yet

I have to say Layartic this isnt about being uber.
    In fact people having problems with loosing core abilities in SL is contrary to that why they started a fixer.
    No one here mentioned GA, the fact is the fixer started with viable snares, roots, viable speed and fast travel, this was the fixer design, well it isnt there now, so what you signed up for is in large gone in SL.
    Regardless how bad a fixer was off before this is plain lame and not something any player should be subjected to.
    And what game mechanics exactly make you a deal maker? I sure dont see any, if you refer to blitzes anyone with gsf hot plz can do it, any profession can be virtually as good if thats the only deal maker mechanic we can come up with.
    And what does being in the background mean? being ignored by the developers? :P I dont see any usefull game reward mechanics to support this, well we can buy ICC cloaks and a few piddly items I guess in the fixer/agent shop.
    Again this isnt about something in being uber or having a challange, its about having the tools you signed up for.
    If you like this kind of "challenge" why not stop using your hots as well, at least you will have a choice, we don't.

Nice explanation Alantria. I've never used GA, and I probably never will. Not that theres anything at all wrong with GA Fixers, I just never wanted to rely on it to level. Actually, i've done well over 250 missions, solo and teamed, and have never even had GA drop. Bad luck maybe? Nevertheless, i'd have sold it anyway. Not to mention the fact that the IP I was spared by not using GA, had afforded me the ability of non-OE equipping a ful suit of QL200 CDS at level 135

And yes, the core abilities of the fixer class were what I was referring to when I titled this thread. Its also what I was referring to when I asked Yy if hes was blind. So lets do the math he mentioned in his response:

useless roots, useless snares, NO aoe snare, total class imbalance, perks with little or no real necessary effect, lack of a suitable runbuff equivalent to our class, coupled with the fact that we're pretty much unecessary to a group in SL = the effective murder of the class in relation to SL - not for everyone of course, but for many. Of course, those with lots of friends, or an uber org, can latch onto an org group and leech thier way to 220, but for the casual player, like myself, its not really feasible to continue playing the class after 200

And contrary to Layartic's assessment that fixers have been worse off, sorry to bust his bubble, but fixers have NEVER been worse off than in SL.

Sure, theres still lots I can do on RK. But once I hit level 200, levelling on RK will be impossible. So i'll be forced to "try" and level in SL in total gimpdom. And i'm sorry, thats just plain NOT FUN. At all. So far, i've seen nothing worthwhile in SL to justify the 30 bucks I spent for each of my 3 accounts.

Give me a way to level above 200 on RK, and i'll be perfectly happy with that.

The majority represents society. And if the majority of people around you think you're an idiot, you can reasonably assume yourself to be a social outcast

just teamed with some orgies in SL...
    They all had between 450-600 Ncu without my ncu buff.... needless to say they didn't really need it
    Kingpin heading for a different grid exit...

bah
    woohoo at last!!!! i've found my MK IV
    "Make all trader drains self only." -aaronb (asmoran)

well i like my fixer(123), I think im quite powerfull and do alot of damage, atleast enough to add me to a team and i do have buffs but no one else seems to think they "need" a fixer.

Its allways,
    we need healer(ma, adv, doc)
    we need tank(enfo)
    we need calmer(nt, crat, trader)

Another thing iv noticed (when not playing fixer) is that people in general rather add allmost every other proffession before a fixer.

its a rather shady proffession that many just dont think of when adding people to a group, no outstanding qualities a group cant live without.

so im slowly playing "fixer" less and less, not because i dont like it but its hard getting a group.
    Last edited by Caljeriko; Oct 28th, 2003 at 12:42:01.
    Caljeriko - Opi _fixer RK1
    RK-explorer
    Uberos- atrox_enf RK1
    Keeping lvl 100 zones safe
    Caldraco - sol _adv RK1
    SL-explorer to be

Hey fixers

Jennyfyr said:
    And contrary to Layartic's assessment that fixers have been worse off, sorry to bust his bubble, but fixers have NEVER been worse off than in SL.
    ------------------

Fixers was the worst on RK (but fun, as many have pointed out ). (I remeber i could not do missions my own lvl and had to do missions with to many grey mobbs and not getting tokens). In SL they are as gimped as many other professions. You need to compare with how the other professions are in same situation and fixers are not the worst in SL.

I must say i like the new diversity in SL. I dont whant to pay for a game that makes me die once and then make it next, i like to try something many times, test, read, talk to others etc and then get it right. And thats what AO/SL is about for me.

Im looking forward to what SL becomes when the general balance/gameplay are more smoothed out and it will come.

Complaining in the way many does on these boards right now are just stupid and give FC no incentive in what to do. FC know the situation for the playerbase in SL but with a compleks game like AO/SL they cant change things in one patch (if you dont understand that you need to get your imagination going and get some knowledge, hehe). Reading this board dont help me anymore in how to do things. ppl that whant to help dont post here anymore. So try to give feedback and learn from eachother, but then we need to get this board down to earth. This board are for fixers between fixers, not a board to use to send messages to FC. Use it!

And i know this whant make any difference its just me.

Vogon

Originally posted by VogonJeltz
    .......Complaining in the way many does on these boards right now are just stupid and give FC no incentive in what to do. FC know the situation for the playerbase in SL but with a compleks game like AO/SL they cant change things in one patch (if you dont understand that you need to get your imagination going and get some knowledge, hehe).......
    Yes, that's very true. You can't get things right in a complex game like this the first time. That's why they have Beta (testing) servers. The reason people are complaining now is because during the Beta testing all of these problems were already pointed out by the Beta testers. Now the changes have been patched to the live servers and people are annoyed. I don't pay to be a beta tester and therefore I won't go to SL until it is "fixed". I have an imagination, and I like to think some knowledge, but the changes with Shadowlands were completely unexpected and unwanted with regards to the game I have been playing for 2 years.

Even when it is "fixed" SLs is an entirely different game, and one I am not sure I will ever want to play as a Fixer. Currently there is nothing in SLs for my Fixer to want to be there. No roots, snares, grid and/or fast travel, vehicles, nothing that makes me stand out like I do on Rubi-Ka whatsoever. I signed up for lasers, rayguns, spaceships, aliens and science fiction. I left the world of quests, dragons, clubs, swords, and demons wanting your soul a long time ago and have no wish to go back.

Edit: Oh, and these boards are not for Funcom to get feedback on what the players want. That's what feedback@funcom.com is for. The messageboard is an area for players to talk about whatever they feel concerns them and voice their opinions to each other. The fact that Funcom employees read and take notice of those opinions is just a bonus.
    Last edited by Slyyk; Oct 28th, 2003 at 14:59:57.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

The PROPER way to handle this issue is through the Professionals program. Unfortunately, FC decided it doesnt have time for that. Thats why we whine. ^_^
    ... I made myself sad again
    Sarenn 209 / 9 Fixer - Armor Setup omg outdated

Originally posted by Slyyk

The messageboard is an area for players to talk about whatever they feel concerns them and voice their opinions to each other. The fact that Funcom employees read and take notice of those opinions is just a bonus.
    Umm..... who said I was trying to talk to Funcom? I thought this WAS just me voicing my opinion. And VogonJeltz is semi-right. But I can't seem to remember a time when a fixer couldn't root or snare a mob, or when they didn't have runbuffs So when exactly was it that a fixer was worse off than in SL?

Originally posted by Jennyfyr

Umm..... who said I was trying to talk to Funcom? I thought this WAS just me voicing my opinion. And VogonJeltz is semi-right. But I can't seem to remember a time when a fixer couldn't root or snare a mob, or when they didn't have runbuffs So when exactly was it that a fixer was worse off than in SL?
    I certainly never said you were trying to contact Funcom. I was referring to Vogons post:

Complaining in the way many does on these boards right now are just stupid and give FC no incentive in what to do.
    I completely agree with your post, Jennyfyr. So nyah!
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

Hehe, sorry bout that Slyyk But seriously, i've been playing AO since just after release, and have never felt more gimped than I do now. And it really does fall back to what Alantria said about working hard on your favorite character, then logging in to find that its no fun to play anymore. And thats what this is all really about. Day after day, these forums are riddled with posts from unhappy players who simply just aren't having the fun that they used to. And i'm sorry, but thats just bad business and really needs to be considered seriously. I've met thousands of players in my time in AO, and most of them came from the same place: Everquest. And many of those same folks are leaving AO for exactly the same reasons they left EQ. That in itself should say something about the current state of the game.

And now Gaute, the one person who was to address the camping and questing issues is almost out the door to work on another project. I just hope his replacement shares his feelings and isn't a die hard Evercamp fan. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast