Thread: Back Pack sizes.

Back Pack sizes.

Ok. Seems to me now that the small, medium, and large backpacks can now only hold a limited number of items. And funny thing.... each of the said backpacks can only hold the same number of items each. The limit originally in the descriptions of these items is said to be a weight but now its more of a quantity thing. So what exactly is my reasoning for buying a large pack when it can only hold 21 individual bullets when a small backpack can also hold 21 individual bullets?

My questions then:

1- Should backpacks be limited by weight only and the finite size of them be disregarded or is there an item mass section in the items database that we palyers are unaware of?

2- If it stays the same as it is now, shouldn't larger bags have more "slots" for more items to fit in the bags?

Fin :: To me this is minor compared to all the other bugs that are prevalent in the game but I thought I would bring it up.
    -----
    "NT's can't over equip armor beyond implants and general buffs (no insane Intelligence or Psychic buffs) and can't overequip weapons since they use direct-damage, damage-over-time and nanoformula methods that require your actually stats and buffs to be active for you to use them. Don't complain about us being powerful when you obviously haven't even played one past level 100. NT's - the original red-headed stepchild of Anarchy Online." - Zaal

Personally, I'd just prefer to have a few more styles/colors of backpacks available.

"Now which one of those packs had my monster parts in them?"

---Zilla

The backpacks all do the same thing, as does the book of knowledge. I think its nice having several different designs to work with even if they aren't different. If the small backpack was actually smaller it would cease to be useful for keeping equipment organized. If they do that I want to see more additional large backpack designs so I'll have some sorting options.

Nianna - you miss my point. The big backpacks aren't big enough. They hold the same amount as the small back packs.

Make the big backpacks hold more stuff.
    -----
    "NT's can't over equip armor beyond implants and general buffs (no insane Intelligence or Psychic buffs) and can't overequip weapons since they use direct-damage, damage-over-time and nanoformula methods that require your actually stats and buffs to be active for you to use them. Don't complain about us being powerful when you obviously haven't even played one past level 100. NT's - the original red-headed stepchild of Anarchy Online." - Zaal

I understand what you are saying but the reality of it is that we can already carry vast amounts of inventory. Those vast amounts of inventory mean the server has to store vast amounts of data. If they do make it so large backpacks are bigger than small ones, they'll most likely to do that by giving small backpacks less slots than they have now.

My bank can hold 100 backpacks and each of those backpacks can hold 21 items (or is it 18?). That's 2100 items for the server to keep track of. My inventory can hold about 18 backpacks I think and each of those can hold 21 items, that's another 488 items for the server to keep track of. Compare this to EverQuest where you can hold a max of something like 80 items in your inventory and 100 items in your bank and you'll see that Funcom's server is already having to do a whole lot more work.

howdy, I haven't tried this as my adventuring skill is quite low, but if you equip the large back pack can you then store more gear into it??

I doubt funcom would make the smaller packs smaller. If they did it would be adding yet another dumb blunder on top of another that Funcom has already made. The packs being limited to 21 items as it is are rather small already as it is. I am merely questioning the design behind have three bag sizes and not have them do anything differently. I have never seen a bag be full becuase of a weight requirement as they have in their descriptions.

No one has a REASON to spend 9000 above what the small pack costs because it can't hold anymore than a small pack. As for "server memory" as you call it, whatever database they have for the items, it doesn't take much storage space for them to house the database # of each item in your possession or in your bank. The amount of space your entire inventory takes up (in the server database of your character) is probably smaller than the code generating these BB messages back and forth.
    -----

Originally posted by bac
    howdy, I haven't tried this as my adventuring skill is quite low, but if you equip the large back pack can you then store more gear into it??
    No you cannot. There are three advantages to wearing a backpack on your back.

1) It gives you one additional slot to put a backpack in.
    2) If you die you will still have all equipment that is in the backpack on your back with you (you'll have to go to the reclaim for the rest).
    3) You can look different than other characters who cannot wear the large backpack.

Originally I think the intention may have been that only backpacks worn on your back would reduce your weight load so the reason to wear one would be because otherwise putting a lot of stuff in your backpack would cause you to get overweight and walk slow. Funcom never had time to get weight management working properly so eventually they made it so all bags remove the weight of all items in them. The adventuring skill is one of the less useful skills.

I have seen backpacks full because of weight limitations.

Though I havn't seen it recently. Could have changed it.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, you say? Very well, get out your pens, essay writers, and prepare to have your logic tested by steel!

backpacks

i've always wondered where i'm looking in when i press I....
    is that my backpack?

i guess it's in the same nebulous space a loin-cloth clad barbarian keeps his loot.

yeah i really hope weight will get implemented. will actually make adventurers useful to carry loot.

or those silly weapon guys carrying 20000 rounds of ammo

Weight is accounted on backpacks. They hold 20 items, but say "chest is full" with less than that if the weight is too much.

MORB - the thign is if you separate out 20 single bullets and place them in the back pack it will fill it up and you wont be able to put more in. Shouldn't these things work on some kind of displacement?
    -----

Re: backpacks

Originally posted by feralfung
    i've always wondered where i'm looking in when i press I....
    is that my backpack?

i guess it's in the same nebulous space a loin-cloth clad barbarian keeps his loot.

yeah i really hope weight will get implemented. will actually make adventurers useful to carry loot.

or those silly weapon guys carrying 20000 rounds of ammo
    When pressing "I", you look into your inventory (i.e. your pockets)
    In your pockets, you can cram a ridiculous amount of backpacks in there, which you can open by right-clicking them. I carry 11 backpacks myself, little or no IP invested in adventuring. Only backpack I actually wear, is the pioneer backpack, because of the bonus I get. In certain cases, I find it useful. If tutoring worked, it would be evenmore useful. But I digress.

Reminds me a little of Diablo, where you wasn't strong enough to wear an armour, but you could easily carry lots of them with youin your inventory