View Poll Results: Is it ok to remove the archived Player Polls forum?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, feel free to

73 72.28%
  • No, please keep it around

15 14.85%
  • No opinon

13 12.87%

Thread: Is it ok to remove the archived Player Polls forum?

Will anybody miss the archived Player Polls forum?

I'm considering removing the archived Player Polls forum as it keeps a big amount of voting data in the database. However, it does contain some historical value for the community, so I'm not fully decided on removing it, and wanted to see what you people think.

So, will you miss the archived Player Polls forum, or should I just remove it?

(To see any of the polls in that forum you need to change the view time from "30 days" to "the beginning".)

Poll runs for 7 days.
    Last edited by Cz; Mar 17th, 2004 at 12:51:37.

Yes, keep it please.

I found it very usefull cuze I can use polls about fixers as like as theí are for present days

p.s. I was first
    Last edited by Spirit; Mar 17th, 2004 at 13:39:50.

Updated the thread topic, to avoid confusion between the topic and the poll question.

Im not sure what you mean about big amount of voting data. But if you keep track of who voted what etc, how about just to have the poll result in the DB, especially for achived polls. No reason to poll history around. Strip all of the unnecessary info of the poll and just archive the result.
    Funcom Content Designer

How to get started on TestLive
    How to write bug reports

A lot of small steps make one giant leap forward.
    "Patchnotes: Nerfed all characters named Metaing, they where too powerful."
    To bug or not to bug, that is the question
    Run like a man or Die like a woman

i voted yes to remove it, alltho FC could (like Metaing says) keep the keep the results of the polls.
    Prepare for Battle!!!I... I see.... Aliens....
    Mrevil By Mr. Fli
    Mrevil My stuff
    Exxon
    And a few other alts...
    People dont kill peoples in Rubi-ka, Lag does!

I agree with Metaing. If you could just post the results as separate messages for each question in an archived thread, then delete all the stored data, we'd still have the results available to look at for the community, without having to take up all the space needed to save all the actual polls.

Originally posted by Metaing
    Im not sure what you mean about big amount of voting data. But if you keep track of who voted what etc, how about just to have the poll result in the DB, especially for achived polls. No reason to poll history around. Strip all of the unnecessary info of the poll and just archive the result.
    I haven't found any way to do that in the software, and I'm no database/programming guru, and doubt I'll get any programmer resources moved from the game to the forums anytime soon.

Originally posted by Spiritlynx
    If you could just post the results as separate messages for each question in an archived thread
    There's ~500 of them. Copy-pasting it would take quite some time. Maybe I could have somebody run a query for it. I'll consider it.

Mopst of those polls are out of date anyway, I don't see the point of keeping the results

Most player polls are useless, and very very old, so I see no reason to keep them. Does anyone *ever* even read them nowdays?

Purge the polls after a reasonable activity window. I suggest to delete them 3 months after poll is closed with a hard expiration date of 6 months from creation of the poll.

This way a poll that was open for a week and then closed would be deleted after being visible for about 13 weeks. A poll that was left open for continuous activity would still be deleted after 6 months, no matter what.
    Marquess - Martial Artist (Rimor)
    Countdmoney - Doctor (Rimor)

Member of Project EDEN

Poll closed. Thanks for voting.

Doesn't seem like a lot of people mind too much. I'll remove the Player Polls forum right away. With the greatly increased use of the bulletin board since Shadowlands launch, we need to do all the steps we can to keep the forums running at best possible speed.