Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This time I mean it: Shotgun Soldier

HOOTZ!

I just acquired an 11% ELLTS!!! OMGzorz... and it was comparatively cheap, too...
    Sure, it will be a while before I can use it... but heck, you gotta strike a deal when it is coming your way

Sid

I like this thread, keep it updated as often as possible

Update 3

Just a short one:

Yesterday night I felt a bit bored with ToTW so I decided to roll a few missions. Just for the heck of it, I rolled a higher QL one (one below the highest attainable QL at lvl 41) which was QL 51.

Now, thats ten levels of difference... and we all know that soloing with a soldier, especially deep red mobs, is not really easy (it gets next to impossible later in life).

Well... I still got the Sol equipped, with the higher AR, I am capping out at 220 damage per hit, which is still almost 1 health bubble on a lvl 51 mob, so fights end reasonably fast.

Here comes the fun part though...

Since I am playing Opi, having Agi maxed out, having Agi double implanted (shiny and bright) and having some Evades gear on him, the mobs have a hard time hitting me even when going full aggro. I'd say that they land about 50% to 66% of the time. I have never played around with comparatively high evades on my solitus main, so this comes as kind of a surprise to me.

Levelling is pretty easy at this pace, 2 solo missions will net you a level (each mission is about 15-20 minutes long). I will not return to ToTW until my mid fifties, and then only to camp for GoT tank armor (poor me... bleh).

I am pondering on where to go next... in foremans I definitely only need the T.I.M scope for the time being. I think I am going to go grinding Hecks afterwards to get a bit onto the fast track. Mind you, I am not planning on doing the whole SL shabang again since it was mind numbing the first time and I can't imagine it to be any better this time around. But who knows, having faith in FC, I will check out some of the new SL missions.

Predator's circlet is the next item on my list. I will be able to equip it with a little bit of implant swapping at level 50 (8 levels away). This thing will carry me way into the 100's until I can replace it with a QL 150 Artillery Crepuscule skinchip.

I am just still undecided on what weapon to get after the SOL SL 71 will loose its bang (which will be very soon, unfortunately).

I am thinking about a QL 65-70 Alien Shotgun type 1 with Fling added. Nice minimum damage and Chemical AC for Hecks... but where to get one if you are on-orged... :=)

Sid

Well i guess at this point you have a choice of AI shotgun for SL and prolly Vektor for RK.

Why Vektor? I guess cause of more or less stable dmg output, and it does energy dmg, which at lest we have some dmg bufs for.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

I have been combing the market forums and the player shops yesterday. Sadly, no lvl 70ish Alien shottie out there.

As for the Vektors, thanks for the tip, they seem to have a decent max damage.

I did 2,5 more levels yesterday, so I am on the verge of dinging 45. I enjoyed the countryside in Eastern Varmint Woods, killing Boulder Blubbags and Nightcrawlers. There is actually a small omni base there where you can stock up on ammo and health.

Another funny thing:

I don't think I am gonna change the Sol SG 71 too soon... If you look around, most shotties are either lower in damage at QL 70 - 80 or have a LOT slower firing rate.

I have checked the description for the SG 71 again... and look... it has an MBS of 2500!!! o.O I think the dev who designed this must have been on crack. All other guns at that level have an MBS of around 500-600.

Sid

Red face

Nah, MBS is good and I belive was put there intentionaly. Just like no MBS at all on CDR pistols.

I use newbie ranged energy gun on my lowbie nano soldier when I dont have any other weapon available. It doesnt have any MBS and does somewhat reliable damage even at lvl 40.

Anyway, your top choices are:
    S.A. Safe Home Defender - can dual them
    Megajolt - benefit is that you can use Power Up with it, which will contribute to overall dmg.

Get yourself VE as big as you can find, prefereble 10%+, you can equip it rather easy (just ask any 205+ solitus to use Shadowbreed near you), init will suck but screw it, we are going after crits baby!
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

I like the Springfield Arms Home Defenders... thats what I have been using in the Subway. The only problem I see with them is the insane Multi Wield req that gets worse as the QL of the weapon progresses. Decent damage, but comparatively slow and no specials.

I am thinking of pairing the S.A. Home Defender up with a Missile Pistol.

I am almost 45 now, so should be dinging TL3 by the weekend (already got the tokens for the TL 3 board).

The gear shopping spree is progressing nicely... I just secured myself a complete set of Predator armor. With the really nice Body development boost a full set gives you, I will definitely negate teh disadvantage of having chosen Opifex.

Just for the fun of it:

I will farm Mantis Parts with my main just to swap for high damage environments.

Sid

Update No 4

Heyas all...

time for a little update:

current lvl: 51

QL 100-110 implant set:

Ok, I have been playing the last two days and have been thinking of what to go for weapon wise.

First, I bought my full set of predator armor... which is still sitting in the bank because according to my calculations, I will need to be at least lvl 58 before I can squeeze into it.

I started out at lvl 44 and since I wanted to race as fast as possible to TL 3, I did a number of solo mishs and at lvl 46, I met a friendly lvl 48 crat and a lvl 43 MP and we decided to try our hands at the Bothacker camp. Funny enough, the MP already had heard of me and my project...

After a long run, we finally arrived and were actually quite successful (I only died twice) at having at them Bothackers. At 10K xp a pop, levelling was a breeze and after merely 90 minutes, I had dinged 3 times and was very close to 50 when I got pwned. Since I had over 90 k Xp in the pool and the MP leaving, I decided to go for two quick solo missions instead that netted me lvl 50.

This morning, my trusty old Sol SG-71 finally had to be shelved as it was simply not effective enough anymore. Pulling a QL 60 mish, the damage wasn't enough anymore to kill those mobs reasonably fast anymore.

Someone announced that he had a Kyr'Ozch Shotgun Type 1 for sale... QL 110 though. Thinking ahead, I bought it and shortly afterwards, I found a QL 99 Vektor ND shotgun in the sup store.

With a Shotgun req of 459 it became apparant that I would first need to update my imps. I headed over to the basic store and got my last set of profession implants at QL 100. Installing them was a piece of cake and after pestering a trader in Omni Trade for a wrangle, I equipped it.

I decided to test it out in ToTW but forgot to brng energy ammo, so I found myself quickly with an empty ckip and a whole temple full of angry cultists hot on my heels. Stupid enough, I changed back to my old gun... the nice wrangle had been for naught.

I sent a tell to a buddy of mine who is a lvl 220 trader. Nice person that he is, he trecked to Borri for me (he is clan) and hit me with a new wrangle. Poor guy, he would come to regret ever having answered my /tell that day.

In the meantime, I had found a QL 78 Alien Shotgun on the Global Market Channel. I decided to pick it up and shelve it for later. I had only 372 shotgun skill unbuffed and the shottie req on that gun was 523.

I sat around and thougt about how to twink that baby on asap. I figured that, with mookiez, I could cast the next higher Shotgun soldier buff (crowd disperser +50 shotgun skill). That and a wrangle would let me meet the req.

Of course, as an added discouragement, FC decided to make the two higher Shotgun soldier buffs dyna drops. Having no nerve for camping lvl 70 dynas, I sent out the word on the market channels and 'lo behold... someone sent me a tell after a mere 20 minutes.

After 10 more minutes of discussing the price (Seller: 1 Mil is the going rate... I just checked on Atlantean market watch... Me: For a QL 68 nano??! Seller: It's a rare dyna only drop! Me: How many shotgun soldiers do you see running around out there? There is no demand for this nano... etc.) we settled on 250 K for the nano and concluded the transaction. A big thanks to the guy who sold it to me, by the way.

I was lacking about 27 pts in Sensory Improvement, so I went to get another level, testing out the Vektor in the process. The Vektor is a really decent shotgun. Not the fastest, no specials.. but reliable. My minimum hits landed for ca. 120ish... and it went all the way up to the low 400s. On average, the hits were in the high 200s, low 300s. Definitely an improvement over the Sol-SG I had been using until then. A nice perk were the infrequent crits for 1320!!! 8)

After the ding, I raised SI enough so I could cast Crowd Disperser with mokiez.

Tapping into the resources of the greatest guild on Atlantean, Cerberus, Nordicwolf agreed to meet me on the Jobe platform for some Mookiiiieeeez.

I uploaded the nano and hit myself with it. The same trader I mentioned above agreed to come to my help once more, hitting me with another wrangle. Et voila... it worked. I was able to equip the Alien shottie... and I was a very happy camper for about a minute...

..when the wrangle poofed, the shotgun appeared in a screeching red in my equipment slot!!! o.O It was OE'd!

The trader, who went back to SL in the meantime, laughed a bit at that. Frustrated, I though hard and did some calculations. Given that I wouldn't want to pester MPs every time for mookiez when I wanted to use the gun, I checked my imp setup again. I noticed that I was missing the bright shotgun cluster in the right hand imp.

After some calculations I found out that I could squeeze in to a Ql 110 implant. I bought the parts (adding a faded treatment) and went on the lookout for an engi. Bleh... every engi I could get a hold of was afk.

So... rub the shotgun... and *poof* my trader genie friend re-appeared and assembled the imp with a heavy and sad sigh. Unfortunately, he had such mad skillz that the QL went up to 114, busting my treatment req.

I started to moan and gnash my teeth in frustration... until I realized that I had forgotten... tadaa... Treatment Expertise! Duh!

That and a generic Eye treatment implant enabled me to get the right hand imp in for a whopping +37 in shotgun skill. I had calculated that I needed at least 418 shotgun buffed to not be OEd. I knew that I would have enough skill to that now.

For the last time, I sent a tell to my guildie... and obligingly he came again to Borealis. With a dour look and a raised eyebrow, he hit me for the last premium wrangle that day (I had had to unequip the gun for the Windchaser Quartz). He expressed his hope that I wouldn't be asking for anything else for the near future. I was able to reassure him... Traders don't have Sense buffs... and my next big project is equipping the Predator armor.

Anyway, I headed out to do a last quick mission to test out the gun:

Here the results:

lowest damage recorded: 133
    highest damage recorded: 285
    Crits: around 600

Average hits: 220-250

That with the 1.5 sec / 1.5 sec firing rate and the large clip makes it a really nice gun indeed. The crit tag is not that high and the lack of specials (try finding a Ql 71 Bio-material Type 1) may be a downside, on the other hand, at my current level, I don't have all the crit equipment yet and I am always short on IP... so no specials let me concentrate on Nano skills instead.

Last but not least:

I wanted to thank everybody who helped me these past two days. Be it random teammates, people who sold me items or people who gave me buffs. A very very big special thank you goes out to my guildmate trader for enduring me today and helping me whenever I called. He is one of the friendliest persons on the Atlantean and would probably cut off his own leg if it helped others. You might wonder why I don't mention his name...

well... he is a trader... and he is very helpful. I don't want the poor man getting even more /tells than he already is getting. He has enough grey hair, as it is (especially after today). You might know him, he posts on the forums quite often...

Sid

Do you have a range meter in your hud? if not you could always buy one of those for like 50k and always ask your friendly high leveld MA for mark of peril, thats +9 crit right there

Duh! Thanks man... I never bothered to check the range meter! Will buy one and equip it next time I am online!

Just a small footnote of the viablity of being a shotgun soldier:

I am lvl 54 now and without too uber equipment, I am soloing lvl 72 mobs without even the slightest problem and mobs up to lvl 82 without too much of a headache.

Level 56 now and according to my calculations, I can now twink in my set of Predator armor:

Sense req of 300:

base sense at lvl 56: 194

Sense Boost: 12

QL 120 Sense imps: 70

Enhanced Senses: 15

OT-Windchaser Emerald: 10

--------------------------------------

301 sense

YAY! 1% mor crit chance

Bump

For update, very interesting thread!

I sympaphise with you. I loved standing out from the crowd with my pre nw pistol sol. Back then it was virtually unheard of and got me loads of attention but when sl hit I went from being unique to being a cookie cutter.

Enjoy it while you can cuz everyone will be rolling shotgun solds come lost eden.

Bump. Go on, tell us your story. Was fun reading so far and very interesting.
    Luuv lvl220/19/67 NM engie equip
    Spamheal lvl205/23 NM doc equip
    You might not believe it possible, but not all my toons are in my signature! *gasp*
    And yes, I always edit my posts.

this thread rocks..

much love from shooty00, lvl 108 shotgun soldier =)

Bump for a really interesting read.

Keep the updates flowing

It'd be cool once you get a totally crit gear fuly setup.

1) Enhanced Occular +2
    2) Visual Targetting Subunit +15
    3) MoP + 9
    4) Preds + 1
    5) Aquarius Multitask Calc + 2
    6) ObiTom's Nano Calculator + 2 (dunno where this drops tho)
    7) Aim of Libra + 1
    8) GoC (x2) +2
    9) Spirit Shroud of Artillery + 1
    10) Notum InfusedKevalr Pants + 1
    11) Eremite Macro Sensor + 1
    12) Dustbrigade Commander Chestpiece + 1

+38% crit ... nice

Difficult but nice .. I wonder what the crit would be like?

just wondering how your planning to use macro sensor and vts at the same time alpha :P

Quote Originally Posted by cerb
    Pocket Cannon
    Oh, the innuendo.. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Poeticon
    just wondering how your planning to use macro sensor and vts at the same time alpha :P
    Ooops, me bad

37% then + 3% (default crit) = 40% O.o

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast