Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixer guide

Fixer guide

so i noticed our guides are out of date. (i.e. newest "updated" fixer guide is from 2005) so i've started putting together something more up-to-date recently. looking for some info to help write something worth reading.

what topics do you guys want a deeper look into? is there a particular aspect of fixers that in your eyes requires more attention? maybe a particular level range or mechanic or part of toolset? numbers comparisons? any ideas are welcome

Make another PVP guide - with colors and maybe some pictures.

kthnx
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Metafizis View Post
    Make another PVP guide
    trox fixer pvp in a nutshell: mr123456 /tell %t lol u sux

Should add nano management. A lot of fixers doing it wrong. Makens me wanna be mean to them.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Something easily readable about how to be most useful to a team, or what fixers can bring to a PvM team, in terms of nanos, perks, or other fixer super awesome abilities. Both for leveling fixers and in high level raid situations, if those two differ. If possible, a balanced view that avoids creating false hopes while not crushing all hope. Focus on being easy to understand, so that as many people as possible can play their fixers less badly. (for bonus points, point out why a non-fixer reading the guide should invite fixers to his team).
    Hlep gnak!

Add in to get the summon bullets nano. Ive had to do it over 60 times in one month.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Profixer guide:

gsf/hnq/fgrid plzkthxbai

Only need one hotbar to successfully play a fixer, and really only 3 slots of that bar are needed, so fill the rest with some Plumbo XXX.
    Last edited by fixyourwhat; Apr 23rd, 2013 at 06:23:35.
    Storm
    Fixyourwhat 220/24/67 Clan Fixer
    Dewmd1 150/20/42 Clan Soldier [e]

cant cast nanos in fgrid oO

fixed.
    Storm

I saw this a few days ago, but didn't respond because I'm a n00b who doesn't know squat, then I thought, wait a minute...

I'm actually worse than a real n00b - I'm a returning player (r00b?) who's been playing off an on since Aug. 2001, more off than on. So I got a lot of bad habits to unlearn, like remembering there's probably not 20 people ready to gank me as I zone into a political zone, like back in the day when Tir was so crowded you couldn't move.

Some things that I would find helpful are modifying the old guides to take into account that a real n00b probably won't have a lot of high level friends or alts to box to help them on quests. So things like the Team Fixer Grid quest it would be helpful to know at what level you can do it without aggroing the npcs you have to talk to.

Another thing I find perplexing is the emphasis on avoidance skills. The old guide makes remarks like "you're a fixer!" like everybody knows that's what fixers do. My emphasis in games is to always max offense first before defense (dead mobs can't hurt me) and it's usually the best choice for dps toons, which so far, the fixer appears to be to me (compared to the engineer, advents, keepers, and docs I've played before). Pain is a good teacher, which I use as my cue to start improving defense. I gave up playing my advent since every time I came back, things had flip-flopped between melee vs. ranged, good team healer or not, but it had a defensive shielding nanoline that pretty much wasn't worthwhile if it required sacrificing your healing or offensive abilities. Is it possible the same holds true for fixers? avoidance instead of absorption, of course

I have picked up on that defense is important in PvP, but I don't PvP. Ever. So it might be helpful to know the context that advice is given for - PvE vs. PvM. RK vs SL.

Another question - what's the difference between Deceptive Stance and Defensive Stance, like why would I want to use one instead of the other? Does the reduction to crit chance refer to me or the mob?

Well, that's enough for now. I don't expect answers given in this post, but rather just am suggesting things you might want to consider from a n00b's perspective. Thanks for working on up-dating the guide! Most guides are so old and so many things have changed (even since I last played a year or so ago) that it's hard to tell which information is still relevant or not.
    Last edited by Tommara3; Apr 26th, 2013 at 04:34:50.

Fixers cant really skimp out on healing. Personally, I was using the first 3 snares/roots and the first SL snare till they did not land any more for pvm is a lot easier on the nano pool management and for IP reasons.

Defensive Stance is a hour long add all def and crit reduce perk. A must before, during, and after combat to be active. Deceptive Stance only last 1 minute, 20 seconds for those times where you really need more evasion. Deceptive is the fixer version of Careful in Battle so give the same amount in add all def. When you see crit reduce that means its reducing the chance a crit will land on you.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Quote Originally Posted by Tommara3 View Post
    -snip-

Another thing I find perplexing is the emphasis on avoidance skills. The old guide makes remarks like "you're a fixer!" like everybody knows that's what fixers do. My emphasis in games is to always max offense first before defense (dead mobs can't hurt me) and it's usually the best choice for dps toons, which so far, the fixer appears to be to me (compared to the engineer, advents, keepers, and docs I've played before).

-snip-
    A mob that can't hit you, can't hurt you.

But what do I know, my fixer usually only gets to kill RK dynas anymore.
    Storm

Going offense in pvm as fixer doesn't do you much good as mobs have a lot of hp, you're better off killing a mob for 3 minutes with good chances of survival than trying to kill it in 2 minutes and dying or nearly dying in the process.

Getting around quickly is what fixers do best. This could be a fun theme to play around with. A guide could include little tips and tricks to help fixers get around on RK and in the Shadowlands, and perhaps a guide to blitzing. Some examples of little things, though I'm sure people can think of lots of others:

For omnis, using emergency grid exit then popping back into the grid from Entertainment to quickly get to the 2nd floor.
    Knowing when to use battlestation portals/Jobe whompa.
    Knowing when to use the fixer grid instead normal grid exits.
    For omnis, getting back to Entertainment by dying twice in quick succession.
    The various ways to get to last-saved position, like center of Penumbra and any Gardens/Sanctuaries that do it (I don't remember, maybe Roch was one).

A blitzing guide could also be helpful for new fixers who are starting to feel the credit-pains of the higher levels. Blitzing nanos/imps/buff items for people is great, but some might prefer a more sure-fire method. For higher-level fixers (180+), it's possible to make a consistent 18 to 25 million per hour by blitzing shop food, depending on the skill of the fixer. This hour includes the whole process of rolling/blitzing/selling. This is good income for froobs, and decent for others when they're in a pinch. Some people like me even find blitzing to be a fun little mini-game. So rather than give the basics of blitzing, the guide would look in-depth at actually using it to make money.

Fixer Guide

I just returned after about a year away and am slowly getting back into "fixing"

One thing that I was told yesterday, which I had never even considered, and have been unable to test...

Agg/Def adjustment for fighting nanomages? I've never heard anything about agg/def having any impact on resisting nano abilities, so a nice section in the guide about how to manage your agg/def bar would be nice (not just for fighting nanomages).

I've also noticed that traps and locks only generate about 10% of the experience (per success/kill) that npc's do in an indoor area with homogenous level critters. Am I missing a way to get experience from actually doing the things that fixers are supposed to do?

Any tips and tricks on raising nano skills would be nice too. That full block of every type of nano skill being blue is so incredibly painful. There are several nice items I've found for boosting my nano skills, but I'd like to be sure I've found all the low hanging fruit, and maybe learn about some of the harder ones to get.

Info on managing the NCU belt would be nice too I have WAY more NCU than I have any possible use for, but have only found NCU slot 5 and 6 to have meaningful items (nano init and nano cost modifiers) I typically have over 150 free NCU without using my NCU expander buff.

A bit of in depth analysis of good wrist / HUD / UTIL slot items would be nice too! I actually have absolutely nothing in UTIL 3 and a bracer of shrinking flesh on one of my wrists.

Well,

Wheeeefast is up to L170 now, and I must say that I'd certainly like a guide for fixer leveling after that point.

I am wearing Arul bracers, decent shoulders, and found some better HUD devices as well, but I'm trying to do a balance between evade and dps so I can both do exp and blitzing missions 80 levels above me.

For me to be really good in xp gaining, it seems as if I really need to reduce my ability to survive in extremely high level missions, and the opposite.

A guide that explains how to differentiate yourself for either task, with example gearsets would be nice.

At this point, for levels, (after doing solo dailies in Blue and Bor) I've started doing missions around 150 QL while I am at 170. I slam through them till 100% then finish the mission for 500k-ish experience, and jump to the next.

Exp doing this is about as fast as soloing Ely hecks, provided that there aren't too many over-level hellhounds mixxed into the low level missions.

I've also completely written off the Alien Abduction mission (can't remember the actual name of it) from outside Newland. No matter what I do I can't finish that mission. The chain casting NT aliens destroy me every time, even with near max body dev and max nano resist, and up to date long and short heals. Anywhere else, I can deal with the NT's by hiding around corners and making them chase me.

So is it just me, or do other fixers around L170 or so start seeing a need to differentiate gear for either leveling or blitzing? If it's not just me I'd love to see a guide for it, since I'm getting ready to try to figure it out for myself and can't find a guide on this anywhere.

Did you try kiting the NT mobs? No rooting and snaring just stop for specials and shoot till they get close.
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Quote Originally Posted by Lackofgravy View Post
    Did you try kiting the NT mobs? No rooting and snaring just stop for specials and shoot till they get close.
    I did, but not enough room since there are normally more than one of them and I don't want to make my problems twice as bad. Might try rooting one in one corner and going back and forth a bit in opposite corner

Don't bother going to 220, take something else there instead.
    Storm

Not that I Peeveepeeeee, but I enjoy my fixer. And love him to bits.
    Was my first character that I started "working" on.
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast