Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: /rp command

Quote Originally Posted by monique View Post
    I assume we still talking about being OOC with RP-mode on here right? That in specific is np imo.

LTC's gets it a lot, and RP-arks.
    It's annoying and you can find it distasteful, but I don't think it's preventable...overall, it's avoidable.

We'll see how it plays out.
    Aye, pretty much my thought on it too.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Well, it's pretty obvious that people will misuse the /rp command when it launches, but as time passes spoiled children get bored of new toy and go on. Talking about unavoidable evil.
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

I´m not sure if there is a big difference between IC and OOC in AO at all.
    It´s not like some futuristic Soldier would talk any different then 21th century people do.
    However, I´d like to have some kind of "auto-mute RP" option, to prevent those
    people that picked the wrong game asking me for stuff in some
    wannabe-medieval way
    They say, the early bird catches the worm.
    However, the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    I don't RP much, but I'd like to. Part of the problem is finding action in RP; everytime I come across blue names or people I know to RP, they're sitting around chatting. Admittedly, giving people in-character sass to see their response is entertaining, but it would be more enjoyable if something more than that happened.
    That is why I think the /RP command will help.
    Then people can take you on quests of there own. I have heard elaborate stories of quests from fanatic* roleplaying orgs. (*fanatic is for me defined as having to sign up for weekly meetings, not just casual play when you have time)

I hope and think the RP tag will help more casual rolePlayers into those schemes.

and maybe "someone" can finally get ARK to cut down on there notum misuse (thereby ending the year long war between "an org" and ARK) and succeed in there "till all are free", by recruiting RP-flaged people to there quests/happenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahava View Post
    Slowing to a walk when going through a city has on more than one occasion lead to RP encounters for me.
    Yes, that pretty much say you are roleplaying, a good tip till 17.9 launches.

Regards
    Ariensky

Quote Originally Posted by Adacta View Post
    It´s not like some futuristic Soldier would talk any different then 21th century people do.
    However, I´d like to have some kind of "auto-mute RP" option, to prevent those
    wannabe-medieval way
    There really isn't. AO is the easiest game to RP in.

Medieval talk is annoying too yes, but there are people in the real world, that talk like that. -Why-? I couldn't tell you to be honest. But it does happen... it's odd but still legit. People that come from different areas will have different dialects, accents, and vocabulary.

By simply using uncommon verbiages as well as forgoing the utilization of conjunctions, abbreviations, and acronyms it will give the literary illusion of intelligence.

But talkin like yer all smart an junk tends to be like nails ona chalk board to the rest of us folk. I reckon though is' all good and well. That sick feelin in yer gut from talking with them know-it-alls would be immertion sneaking up on ya.

There is a pretty good chance that the impression the RPer was trying to make with his character was exactly what they were aiming for.
    Point Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    I'd assume you'll be completely unable to respond to PvP while in character (meaning if you're PvP flagged its like you have a social weapon on). Possibly unable to PvE (hopefully smarter about this and unable to -initiate- PvE but still able to respond if attacked).

this game is about anarchy, omni vs. clan....if you cant pvp in rp...then someone failed HARD
    Celphi 220/15/45 Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Deter misuse? Sorry, but if I saw a person using the /rp command that doesn't make them a roleplayer. The same was that a flagged person can be flagged and still not be a PVP'r.
    I'm thinking that even if they are not a 'hardcore' pvper that they would fight you back... can you honestly tell me that if little jimmy rp-flag's up that he will RP me back?

Ok fair enough, but this is ~30,000 years into the future; but I'll expect you to walk around grunting like a pre-ice-age cave dweller from now on to prove your point. After all I don't expect a person in the year 2000 to speak any different that a person in 28,000 BC.
    ^_^

I´d like to have some kind of "auto-mute RP" option, to prevent those
    wannabe-medieval way
    Already exists, but takes some work on your part. Each day do "/list keeper" and "/ignore" each. Then, stay out of SL. If you don't want to be exposed to fantasy themes like knights, ghostly spirits, trolls, stone giants, elven races and dragons... then one shouldn't be out in the Shadowlands. If perhaps you prefer SL though, I suggest you go play WoW. They got your shiz right there and it's all coated in shiny eye-candy.

/flame
    Last edited by copperneedle; Apr 18th, 2008 at 12:38:54.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Hopped over to test to see...

/rp results so far with a =myname= flag.

Wonder if that can be changed? I fear the flood of sabertooth advies running around with =kitty= , =purrrrr=, =meow=, =whiskers= ... and so on. :[
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

Best update of 17.9!
    Experienced Kazbah - 220 Keeper - <3

Quote Originally Posted by bonzay1
    to bad u are a trash U HAVE LACK AT TALKING

Quote Originally Posted by copperneedle View Post
    I'm thinking that even if they are not a 'hardcore' pvper that they would fight you back... can you honestly tell me that if little jimmy rp-flag's up that he will RP me back?
    I am having some difficulty understanding what exactly it is that you are asking, due to the wierd grammar effects you are using, but I will try to best guess it.

The fact that someone 'can' RP, has no bearing on how good they are at using it. If this so called "little billy" RP flags in front of me, that is also no garantee that I will speak to him IC either. IF bychance, little billy uses the RP flag in a PVP scenario, doesn't even force me to bat an eye. In the event that someone wishes to RP a combat, then they should /duel me (as well as have a legitimate reason IC to do so) and be done with it.

I cant fathom why someone should be completely annoyed by such a command that is clearly just a matter of semantics. I would also like to point out that if it seriously perturbs you to see a NON-RP'r in a /RP flag, then i highly suggest ignoring it till the situation warrants a change in attitude. I get the whole elitism bit you're implying. It would get an eyeroll from me too. But I also look at it from this perspective: Stupidity is its own reward.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Apr 20th, 2008 at 15:58:05.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    In the event that someone wishes to RP a combat, then they should /duel me (as well as have a legitimate reason IC to do so) and be done with it.
    Please get off that poor horse; it's dead and in a ditch now.

If I get a pvp flag, fine, anyone can initiate combat, and I and nearly anyone else that isn't afk will fight back.

If I get a rp flag, anyone can initiate conversation with me and I'll likely continue discussion, anyone else "might" talk back.

The glyph that turned names red was for a tradeskill process, but it wasn't always used for the tradeskill now was it?

/rp is for a game mechanic allowing characters to pinpoint others most likely to render the effect they seek ( the flag lets other RPers know who to go talk to for RPing fun).

I fear this will not be used properly and will instigate troubles with RPers and the general community at large (not just neophyte leet killers).
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

Please get off that poor horse; it's dead and in a ditch now.
    Dead horse to you maybe. I like the /duel command. Saved me from the ridiculousness of emoting combat, which always seemed a terribly moronic.

/rp is for a game mechanic allowing characters to pinpoint others most likely to render the effect they seek ( the flag lets other RPers know who to go talk to for RPing fun).

I fear this will not be used properly and will instigate troubles with RPers and the general community at large (not just neophyte leet killers).
    I, however, am not so paranoid of such a thing occurring, and in the event it does.. I still have the ability to ignore it. And the prospect of WIDESPREAD drama from the /rp command, well.. thats just kinda silly in the extreme.

But I think im getting a much wider view of what you're going for, and tbh.. its a cheap angle. I have no room in my game for someone to go around playing the RP/PVP police bit. I daresay it would annoy me more to see that, then the people who are going to cause drama using the /rp command in the first place. My prediction is that whomever would take up such a mantle, would be incurring the disdain of people from both sides, and should prepare themselves accordingly.

For my own satisfaction, I only RP with known and long standing RP'rs, or those who have shown me sincere interest in pursuing the craft. Barring these two conditions, I rarely stick it out, unless its in the process of forming an educated guess of where the direction is most likely to go.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Apr 20th, 2008 at 18:15:20.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

All due respect to Bubba (a lot ) but I think you may be viewing things too much from the perspective of an experienced roleplayer. The experienced roleplayer knows who is IC or who is likely to be IC from the situation and so the /rp flag isn't going to be all that useful in that respect.

However, what I read as the intention of the flag is for people to easily recognise who is in character, which for me suggests it is aimed at people new to the 'scene'. The subject of abuse of that is a serious one and doesn't have anything to do with PvP that I can think of.

Imagine you're new to the game, you've read a bit of the story and you're eager to try out roleplaying, you've stuck your /rp flag on and started looking for people to chat to. You come across someone who's /rp flagged and start to talk to them. If they are OOC and tell you to go away, it's going to be disappointing, yes. And that's sad enough for you. But if you then get some serious abuse for trying to roleplay with a group of people using the flag just for decoration then that's awful.

I very much like the idea of the flag and at the same time I can't see how abuse can be fairly policed. I just think that if it is abused, it has the potential to be quite upsetting for someone. What I would really hate to see is people using it to bait people for a laugh.

On a more positive note, I hope it will really help people get into that aspect of the game a bit more. I think it's been pointed out a fair few times that getting into roleplaying can be difficult if you don't know who to speak to. So for my part, I'll definately be using this whenever I'm IC incase someone who wants to get involved spots me.

I imagine though that the events storytellers and LTC won't be using it because they already have the blue names. I wonder if that'll cause any confusion... Well I guess there is enough confusion over the blue names for it not to make a difference.

All fine points Rodane, but just because someone says "go away" to the stary eye'd noob RPer, doesn't mean he or she isn't in character. That character might be a jerk, or very stressed at that moment. Just like striking up a random conversation with someone in real life, they might be very pleasent, or very rude. It all depends, and is all leagal. Granted RP should not be used and an excuse to be flat out abusive to others, but it also does not mean that anyone who isn't friendly and happy isn't in character.

Worring about people useing the command to make their name pretty is only going to ruin your online experience. You'll slowly turn into a jaded rabid elietist, who pretty much hates anyone that does not RP to your personal standards, and push others away those whom *might* have been trying it out for the first time. If someone is flagged RP, and they have no interest in acctually RPing (or at the least taking part in conversation or some event you are currently in) then let it go and move on as you would in real life. You can't control other people be it in character, or out of character. So just stay in character, roll with the good, bad, and ugly and just have fun.

In the end character seperation will trump all.
    Point Blank

Oh yeah, of course if it's used to make pretty names and doesn't affect anything else, then that's fine by me. No worries there and no doubt it will happen. I was only worried about the purpose of it being lost if people are still having trouble getting involved dispite the flag. Cause that's a shame if it turned out not to be useful at all.

Oh and of course people play unpleasant characters! .. or ones that may not be in the mood to speak to new people. But I guess I didn't think of that because personally I'm the type that always lets someone know OOC in a private group or /tell if I even suspect that my IC actions might cause OOC offence... So that's something I wasn't meaning. (Not meaning to cause a debate about whether you should do that or not - wrong forum )

So yeah you're right there, if you assume that someone is actually IC if they're using the /rp flag then it shouldn't cause offence.. but it still might negate its purpose, which would be a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodane View Post
    Imagine you're new to the game, you've read a bit of the story and you're eager to try out roleplaying, you've stuck your /rp flag on and started looking for people to chat to. You come across someone who's /rp flagged and start to talk to them. If they are OOC and tell you to go away, it's going to be disappointing, yes. And that's sad enough for you. But if you then get some serious abuse for trying to roleplay with a group of people using the flag just for decoration then that's awful.
    When I shook my Magic 8 Ball that is exactly what It told me will happen.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

To Rodane: In response to that instance, yes, its quite possible that the RP command could do some damage to roleplayers who are inexperienced. In the case of such an even happening, if I was present, chances are I would more than likely step in.

If I am not around, then obviously I cannot.

I still see the instances of such a thing small in comparison. Roleplayers have a vast amount of guidelines (new and old, so its not biased) right here on these very forums. The AOfroobs forum may have them as well, but its been a while since I last looked. I imagine someone who frequents it a bit more than I can confirm or deny. The information on these forums has our names splattered all over it, so it isn't like there is nothing to refer to. Potentially damaging first impressions should never deter a roleplayer (especially a good one) from the fun that can be had.

I understand that foul play can be had, but my confidance of the roleplaying community stepping in to handle specific situations, is pretty high.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Apr 23rd, 2008 at 02:18:48.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Rodane View Post
    Cause that's a shame if it turned out not to be useful at all.
    Yes, if...
    I think a lot will find use for it. Team search is being misused with WTB-messages. Is it still useful?

I'm going to have to remember to turn this flag on every time I attack towers
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Ok sorry for this noob question but i really dont know what is this role play mean, if someone know what is this and what can do please tell me thanks

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast