Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AO Video Card Detection.

ok

I been tinkering around at work with all the cards we have, putting them in my machine, every single Gforce 8800 was a no show for AO. well, all the 8800's newegg will sell so far.

p.s. all the 8600's were fine and below.
    Last edited by montalvo99; Jan 7th, 2009 at 20:56:49.
    good? bad? nahh im the girl with the gun.

Well ive got a 9600GT and that showed for abit then went again.. but there was no difference.. So ill say this again..

Were Forcing Ao to 'Notice' Our graphics card but it isnt using it.

My Pc Specs ------------------------------------------ My Laptop Specs
    Intel Core2 Duo 2.2ghz x2 ------------------------------ Intel Core2 Duo 1.4 Ghz x2
    2GB Ram ----------------------------------------------- 2GB Ram
    9600 GT ----------------------------------------------- Onboard Intel 950GML(I think)
    About 4 Sata Hard drives ------------------------------- Only some 60Gb Hd ( Since my laptop is small and cute)

But when i run Ao on my Laptop I can see Ao is using the onboard Gfx Card cuz its alot smother and i can raid Pande without no lag at all..

So we need to find either a way we make Ao notice our card and take advantage.. or just wait for the new Engine - ( And hope it supports our cards properly )

Playing Aion
    Mannyyy 60 Ranger - Tiamat Asmo

220/22 Opifex Fixer Retired Mannyfixer

And the rest of the Manny toons.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Shadow Mercs
    ShadowMercs! Tl5's
    Signature last updated 2012...
    ----------------------------------------------

Bump enough info on this thread allready for some feedback, don't let this thread disapear.
    Fumbling Ydernola Fingers - Lvl 220 / 25 / 68 NT Equip
    Dragon Thleed Slayer - Lvl 220 / 28 / 70 Doctor - Equip
    Agro Magy Magnet 220 / 30 / 70 Soldier Equip (Ungimping in progress)
    The Xopxop Machine - Luvchild - Lvl 174 / 19 Advie Equip
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

And 8 more unfinished projects...

President of Asgard & Midgard

Bump, because I need more fps. Why must I downgrade to get better performance?
    "You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty."
    - Sacha Guitry

Sorry been absent from my own thread, RL's been getting a bit thick recently :/

I've been swapping DX versions and hardare to timbuktu and back, and as yet I'm seeing nothing really in common between the working and non-working systems. Doing more as time permits, will be updating ASAP.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Whatever Dev works on the graphics engine part of AO (Macrosun?)... Could you please give us some hints here?

Is it worth for us trying all these kinda things?
    Is there something else we could try?

Any kinda Info would be appreciated, really...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

9600GT and I have the same issue. This bothers me. Alot.

Heh I just put on Windows 7 and AO picked up my x1950 and driver version right off the bat!

Off to check FPS in differant areas
    Still here

Bump wtb more info here.

On a related note i recently started playing in 1920x1200 instead of 1280x1024 and guess what? Same performance.... I would expect a decrease in performance, but i think i can assume the problem with performance is not on my side here...
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cryfreman View Post
    Heh I just put on Windows 7 and AO picked up my x1950 and driver version right off the bat!

Off to check FPS in differant areas
    I also instal Win7 and AO detect my nvidia6600 without problem!!

Looks like win XP have some problem with reporting to AO witch card we have.

8800 GT works for me, shows both Primary and 8800 on list, but im using Vista x64.

XFX 8800 GT and 180.48 nVidia drivers.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

OK....I offcially can find nothing in common, either with the driver versions, registry settings, AO prefs file, or DX version between either all the working systems I have or all the non-working systems I have. It appears I have been stopped where my limited technical knowledge has formed a sturdy brick wall.

Now thats out of the way...So far Windows7 is looking promising - anyone else got any confirmation that we have a really high succcess rate on detection? I mean we're 2 for 2 in this thread, and thats looking like good news. If only we knew the reason.....

And it certainly looks like Vista x64 handles AOs detection better than XP as well, altho as I have said I have 2 detecing XP systems as well....

Anyway, until someone with more tech knowledge (and/or a friendly bluename) comes and helps a bit, lets just keep posting working/nonworking rigs in here and hope we can stumble on an answer...

Hmm, I haven't installed AO in a while, but I do copy it from machine to machine.

My system is Vista x64 and it has always seen my card(s). I've had in the past couple years: nVidia 7900GT KO OC, pair of nVidia 7950GT and currently a nVidia 9600GT.

I put Windows 7 x64 on a laptop and it saw the Radeon x2300 on it immediately. Although it did lose ~10-30fps compared to when it was on XP, but W7 is a beta OS at the moment so I didn't stress it.

I just tried it on a Laptop running XP and a cheapy Intel Integrated and that one also detected fine by Anarchy (which surprised me as I think very little of XP).
    "Sadly, the patch "stop others [from] being idiots" has been delayed."
    -Gurudee

"I think so, but every time they get a duel invitation popup it plays "Wanna Fanta" a few times over... "
    -Kotts (regarding Froobs+Dueling)

"The fail is strong in this one."
    -Pafpuf

Don't want this thread on page 2.
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

Thanks for the bump Still working on a reliable solution between rk4 activities, not having consistent luck tho, even doing 2 clean installs on the same machine with the exact same hardware, windows disk, and driver versions has yielded different results. It literally does not make the slightest bit of sense. O woe, if only a friendly bluename could offer a helping hand.

edit : I don't mean to discriminate, any of you guys with a white or green name can post too, not just the blues!
    Last edited by jorricane; Jan 28th, 2009 at 03:58:06.

Stragen solution

I have had same problem like everyone else in here. Today i had a strange discovery, after last patch my folder had two shortcuts in gamefolder, one to Prefs and one to Screenshots. Onely shortcuts with no target map. And it wasnt acsessible. Luckily I had a testclient and copyed both folder after deleting the shortcuts and everything was ok.... well almost now i have a textbug but hopefully i can sort that out.

Tryed to copy folders when shortcuts was there but that didnt work, had to delete them. Running Vista/W7 ultima 64 with ATI Radeon 3800 series

Dont know if that was the clue, but workd for me..

Cheers
    Khod
    Khodorkov

Also had a suggestion ingame from a fr00b who can't post here...

reposting convo fo reference.
    [*]: inside the game directory \Anarchy Online\cd_image\gui\default there is a mainprefs.xml[*]: inside youll find the video guid and driver id again[*]: mine were set to all zeros. i got my cards guid and driver id from regedit (find) and manualy entered it with a hex editor
    To[*]: did that work?[*]: it didnt enable me to detect the proper card but it did make the launcher report 'device not selected'[*]: so no, but at least it was something[*]: as opposed to editing/removing prefs.xml which does nothing and just gets remade
    To[*]: that is interesting, I'll post it to thread

so it didn't really fix the prob, but it did something. I;m gonna play with it some more and see if I can get anywhere with it!

(btw, I didn't use your name, but if you'd like me to credit you /tell me ingame and ill put it in)

This mainprefs.xml file is a default template to the "...\Anarchy Online\Prefs\Prefs.xml file, so in case you're logging into an account for the first time on your installation, it'll copy one there & use it.

Changing the values there to invalid ones will give you that "card not detected" warning in the launcher & not much else...
    By the way... why use a hex editor when it's a plain text file ? (xml is still text)
    You can change these values in-game too by using these commands:
    /setoption DisplayDriverGUID "1234..."
    /setoption DisplayDeviceGUID "1234..."
    or you can nullify them using the ctrl+shift+F7 menu.
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post
    This mainprefs.xml file is a default template to the "...\Anarchy Online\Prefs\Prefs.xml file, so in case you're logging into an account for the first time on your installation, it'll copy one there & use it.

Changing the values there to invalid ones will give you that "card not detected" warning in the launcher & not much else...
    By the way... why use a hex editor when it's a plain text file ? (xml is still text)
    You can change these values in-game too by using these commands:
    /setoption DisplayDriverGUID "1234..."
    /setoption DisplayDeviceGUID "1234..."
    or you can nullify them using the ctrl+shift+F7 menu.
    The problem is AO uses the same GUIDs for everyone it seems (or at leasts, lists the same ones in the prefs files) whether working or not. It seems to be reading, or not reading, these from some other location. If we could figure out where that was, we'd be getting somewhere. Look back to pages 1 and 2 and you can see that the GUIDs in the prefs files mostly seem to be identical, even with different GPUs and driver version.

I've read through the thread several times already, what AO seems to be blind to is the DisplayDriverGUID on the machines that don't see their cards listed.

DisplayDeviceGUID can only be one of these:
    Code:
    a4665c60-2673-11cf-a31a-00aa00b93356 = Direct3DRGBDevice (RGB Emulation)
    84e63de0-46aa-11cf-816f-0000c020156e = Direct3DHALDevice (Direct3D HAL)
    f5049e78-4861-11d2-a407-00a0c90629a8 = Direct3DTnLHalDevice (Direct3D T&L HAL)
    DisplayDriverGUID seems to be either all 0s or in your/Pint0's cases : 67685559-3106-11d0-b971-00aa00342f9f, now that specific GUID copied into the non listed cards prefs files isn't helping them since it obviously doesn't match...

Can you search that value in the registry and post here under what path(s) it's listed there (if at all)?
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast