Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 20th, 2009

Funcom employee Friday with Means - March 20th, 2009

As we speak the build guys are preparing the next update for TestLive. We are hoping to get it to the Test dimension at some point this evening. I am looking forward to seeing the feedback on the 12 man instance over the next couple of days before we ship it to live. This version will also of course have the long awaited perk reset NPC and a great many small fixes that have cropped up in the last few weeks in almost every area of the game...you guys are keeping us very busy. Anyways...12 man/woman instance coming soon...finally. A complete redesign later...but finally.

Heads

Last week I brought up the idea of "new heads"...while perfection can never be achieved another tweaking attempt has been made and is linked at the bottom again. I think we might have the "feel" of it right this time. Damn those artists are good.

The Engine:

I joked last week that the code meetings were boring. It was a joke. Granted it wasn't that funny...but it was meant as a joke. That being said those involved are very serious about getting this done. In the near future we are adding another senior render coder to the team to help Enno and his minions get to the goal faster and prettier. As much as I understand that some of you would like posts from Enno on the progression of the engine I can't allow that as "faster and prettier" unfortunately would be delayed by the action of informing the community and responding to queries...this takes a lot more time than you might imagine...time that we all want him to use to bash out more awesome new engine code. I will not sanction any interruption of his work of any kind...no matter how much fun it might be. Optimization is serious and time consuming...focus is very important.

Coming soon:

We are currently working on a new "Orbital" apartment for the uber rich in game for a silly amount of credits, if you are a credit billionaire you should live like one. This apartment will also be available for paid points as it is a purely social content type item. At the same time we are working on concepting out a new social nightclub area in orbit as it has been a very long time since a new nightclub was added to AO...and I am sick of RKTim Picketing our offices for the opening of "Head or Tails" in omni territory. I think gathering in a new superclub in orbit would add style to our future events. The apartments are meant to be a part of the same spacestation facility...hopefully we'll see the both facilities at close to the same time. Before anyone asks this will not be in before instanced Pandemonium or Instanced cities.

Again...some of the concept art for the apartments are linked at the bottom of this post.

Next Week:

I'll be answering questions again as it has been awhile since we did that last. Feel free to include questions for others besides me.

Have a great weekend!

Colin "Means" Cragg
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

first!?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Advisor of Vox Populi

Second!
    Was just talking about you.
    [17:22] <Demoder> btw
    [17:23] <Demoder> where's friday with means? It's becoming saturday some places in the world
    [17:23] <Demoder> ... in two hours.
    [17:23] <Demoder> and there it is
    [17:24] <Graft> pff, like we care about some remote territories, still friday here
    New coder to the engine "team"? Great news, IMO shows the engine is progressing in the right direction.
    New heads: Looking good. Any chance that at a later time there will be a option to customize your characters build like, say, in AoC and other newer games? (or would that require too much rework of how AO generate characters?)
    Forums: Nice to see some different colors on official and "official" posts. Can we have a devtracker too? And.. Can you give whoever's playing with forums a own testforum to test on before applying to live?

wtb Friday with Macrosun!

ps: Preorder of "Legacy of Xan" is still all over the launcher and register.funcom.com site.
    Last edited by Demoder; Mar 20th, 2009 at 17:36:51.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

2nd!
    PvP n' Stuff (more soon™)

Proud President of Mercenaries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkripper View Post
    2nd!
    Wrong. 4th!

MEANS FIX THE FORUM COLOURS

Also, take the PM I sent you as my question for next week.
    Last edited by Hacre; Mar 20th, 2009 at 17:28:21.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Bump for blunt perklines FIX

Photoshop'd!

New face looks great. WTB info on emote and idle animations, will they get improved as well?
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    Photoshop'd!

New face looks great. WTB info on emote and idle animations, will they get improved as well?
    They better not mess up trox monkey dancing.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Apartments in space! Cool! Just got to be careful when putting the cat out.

Want to buy lazors in the club plx!
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    I joked last week that the code meetings were boring. It was a joke. Granted it wasn't that funny...but it was meant as a joke.
    I have this funny mental image of a bunch of coders with torches and pitchforks knocking at your office door

Old face looked nice, new face looks awesome. Nailed it imo. Atrox next! 8p
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Woot, face looks nice. My Question: How about sex change? When?

Apartments look nice...and pretty bed there. Too bad Jaamisha not in game anymore

LOL Tim picketing. What a noob!
    Last edited by Madrid; Mar 20th, 2009 at 17:45:00.
    Almadena

Glad you've been talking more about the new engine the last couple weeks, but I think what we ALL really want to know is...ETA?

Last you said was this summer, like June 2009...but that's only 3 months away so I find it very hard to believe you are still on that schedule...as much as I might hope you are...

The APT sounds great, BUT make sure for like the 1st 5 to 6 mo it's in game cred only, and let whole raids in not just team members.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

The new heads DO look pretty, but im kinda attatched to my old one.

And i have a question for next weeks Q&A post.

When are are you going to let meta get stuck in to new main pets for all 3 pet clsses?
    We have had the same pets now since the launch of SL and to a pet class, pets are the same as a weapon.
    Everyone else gets new rifles/swords/pistols and stabby weapons at a fairly constant rate, we are still using the same "main weapon" that we got 6(?) years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    The new heads DO look pretty, but im kinda attatched to my old one.

And i have a question for next weeks Q&A post.

When are are you going to let meta get stuck in to new main pets for all 3 pet clsses?
    We have had the same pets now since the launch of SL and to a pet class, pets are the same as a weapon.
    Everyone else gets new rifles/swords/pistols and stabby weapons at a fairly constant rate, we are still using the same "main weapon" that we got 6(?) years ago.
    Ooo yes QFT.

Pets keep falling further and further behind. -Some- classes have had improvements via new buffs for their pets (I don't know how good they are though). The inability to put more than 2-3 "useful" programs into Carlo's NCU however, which keeps Carlo as the most vulnerable and easily disabled pet on the list, closely followed by dog ganking.

Some defense against things like UBT would be nice as well. Or at least the option to remove.
    Member of Spartans
    Genius at work.

Thanks Means, you make fridays the highlight of my week, every week!

My whore hopper agent will ofc bask himself under the stars, the new appartment looks sweet!

Vizier
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Ooh noes, the spam!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    The Engine:

I joked last week that the code meetings were boring. It was a joke. Granted it wasn't that funny...but it was meant as a joke. That being said those involved are very serious about getting this done. In the near future we are adding another senior render coder to the team to help Enno and his minions get to the goal faster and prettier. As much as I understand that some of you would like posts from Enno on the progression of the engine I can't allow that as "faster and prettier" unfortunately would be delayed by the action of informing the community and responding to queries...this takes a lot more time than you might imagine...time that we all want him to use to bash out more awesome new engine code. I will not sanction any interruption of his work of any kind...no matter how much fun it might be. Optimization is serious and time consuming...focus is very important.
    Actually, we don't want to hear about "how it's progressing" from Enno, you're doing that job just fine. We're more interested in the technical side.
    Stuff like bottlenecks, optimization methods (which scene structure, which shadowing method, stuff like that), etc.
    But I understand he's being shielded from the community for now

How about an in depth post when it's done?
    The AO community has more than just players, there's several developers lurking the community as well hungering for technical details
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Mar 20th, 2009 at 17:52:35.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    The APT sounds great, BUT make sure for like the 1st 5 to 6 mo it's in game cred only, and let whole raids in not just team members.
    Both great suggestions.

The high cred cost will be useless as a money sink unless there is some length of time where it will only be available in game.

The new opi head looks hawt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacre View Post
    closely followed by dog ganking.

Ah my favourite past time <3
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast