Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on daily missions

That is exactly the problem. The missions are not properly scaled so that everybody can do them. It is unrealistic to expect new players to farm millions, read lots of stuff (some outdated, some contradictory and most uncomprehensible for a noob anyway). In my opinion the best solution would be to create different missions with different difficulty levels. Easy with green to yellow mobs, medium with yellow to orange mobs and hards or team missions with mobs orange and up. And it should be clearly explained.

Farming and making monies is in my experience the most essential thing when starting the game. Which is wrong, it should be about playing and learning the game mechanics at start (and in AO the starting or learning phase lasts long past noob island).

Oh and blitzing at those low levels to make 1 million will most likely make a new player quit not enjoy the game. Same goes for camping the trade channels to find the ocasional buyer for pillows or treatment rifles. Specially for those not playing on primetime.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I agree that noobs need to earn a living and such. That is not the problem. The problem is that the game needs to adress these problems and MOST IMPORTANTLY the scaling of the missions dificulty. Which is what we are adressing atm.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hi, yeps it was the bomb mission. At 101 the mobs were yellow, orange and finally red. With no roots or calms I tried pulling the mobs 1 by 1. My init debuffs didn't land and I didn't have enough damage to bodybag them quickly enough. I've no problem with the mission. It just gave me an incentive to perk-reset and get a JAME on
    I think this is the point. Can't finish your daily? Outfit your toon better. Having said that some things are really hard, such as Mantis killing on a level 113 shade... Social aggro and mobs have relatively lots of HP, and they weren't missing that much on 1k evade + some AAD without perks, even when I had Limber up.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Text
    Id say yes and no. And trust me, I always put some effort into my toons at every level. Its the only way for me to have fun. I would say that putting 2+ hours into a daily mission somehow is not how I had imagined it. Some of the missions are great and fast and fun with good reward. Some are off the bat (like some people mention) irrelevant if you are twinket or not.

Having said that, I would like to point out the quote under.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    18.3.2 Update Notes
    The Daily Mission System:

..The first Daily Missions in this first release are available for Rubi-Ka only and will offer players of all levels an alternative and effective way to progress with significant rewards...
    For, lets say new fr00bs, I doubt it would be neither an alternative, nor very effective way to progress. Heck, even I will not do a lot of daylies when I can ding a level in the same time it takes me to go from SL to RK with my low level alts.

Also, having said all this. I like the daylies missions, but some of them do need tweaking, if the intention was to let "casual players log on for a short amout of time and feel that you did something during the day" (something like that Means said in a FWM).
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Leveling at TL1/2/3 as a froob is not an issue (believe me, I ve leveled a lot of those)
    Even low TL4 is not so painfull. It's the 140+ that starts to be a pain. At this level, as a froob, you ll probably be in your top gear more or less... and Depending on soloability of the prof, the daily mish will be welcomed.

And they are supposed to be an "alternative", not a "you shall level by daily mish and only by daily mish !" solution.
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101 View Post
    This will increase the lameness of the BS. It is good that we can get some more VP from there. For those farming VP's it means less time of agony there. However the BS is a stupid concept. It puts people who dont want to be togheter in the same place. With a huge difference in equipment and experience that turns many into the prey of a few. Its not really important except for a small detail: it's not fun for most that go there. And not fun = leaving.
    How is that different from any non-instanced pvm activity like subway, totw, biomare, dynas etc. etc. ?
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

btw; why not open the Elite to 190+ ?

Killing a prisoner can be done by a small team of 190 froobs
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
    I like to know how many daily missions there are for 205+

So far I seem to constantly get the same missions over and over for instance on my 217 Engineer
    Scooplet mission, Club mission, Rats, Shop Lifter I have never been given the Enigma dog mission.

Same mission on 220 Doc, No dog mission.

Same on 207 keeper. No dog mission

Is there really only 5 total daily missions for 205+?
    That is more than I have seen! I got rats twice and since then shoplifter after shoplifter.... Sure it is easy but gets boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Reetzor View Post
    Hmm, I have to agree with the people finding the number of different mission disappointing. I have run 4 daily mission on a 134 (now 138 ) fixer and got 4 missions to Smuggler's Den. The last three have all been exactly the same kill 10 lots of 3 Smuggler's type mobs. This one in particular is not really conducive to a short play time (except when you get bored and start dual logging...but that sort of defeats the object of the daily missions?)

These missions have potential and I enjoyed them the first (and even the second) time around. But having the same mission over and over is pretty irritating. There are only two possible missions at mid TL4?
    Could be -- my 130 (now 132) MA has pulled the kill 30 smugglers in order 5 times in a row. Even the crates mission that I've heard of would be a vast improvement.

It seems to be one mission is the favorite for my toons -- 197 doc who has gotten Enigma Dogs 4 times out of 6, 158 advie who has gotten Eavesdropping 3 out of 4, 49 soldier with totw 3 times consecutively, etc. The only toon who has gotten a varied selection is a 78 trader - 4 pulls, 4 different missions.

Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    Lusos101 said that he/she has never played the game before and is playing on a froob account.

Getting 2 to 3 mil before level 15 might be a bit too much when you'd rather like to learn the game and level up.
    When I returned to the game I had 3 mil saved up in 3 days just from blitzing the low ql +intel pistols and ql10 concrete cushions. Does it suck, yes, and this is a problem for new players who would rather jump into the game and play rather than take the time to learn the economy and make some money the old fashion way.

Honestly tho, it doesn't take a huge effort. Assuming that you roll 1 pair of concrete cushions per level available from level 8 to level 15, then sell them casually when in town. Don't spam it. Put it out on Shopping or a shout (to reach the opposite faction if you are OT or Clan) once or twice then move on. You will have a nest egg ranging from 1.8 mil to 3 mil in your first 15 levels, and that is from a grand total of 12 missions. Thats good money, damn good money, for the early levels. And you don't have to sit and spam them over and over and over again. Like I said, put it out there once or twice while you are rolling up a new mission then move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusos101 View Post
    That is exactly the problem. The missions are not properly scaled so that everybody can do them. It is unrealistic to expect new players to farm millions, read lots of stuff (some outdated, some contradictory and most uncomprehensible for a noob anyway). In my opinion the best solution would be to create different missions with different difficulty levels. Easy with green to yellow mobs, medium with yellow to orange mobs and hards or team missions with mobs orange and up. And it should be clearly explained.

Farming and making monies is in my experience the most essential thing when starting the game. Which is wrong, it should be about playing and learning the game mechanics at start (and in AO the starting or learning phase lasts long past noob island).

Oh and blitzing at those low levels to make 1 million will most likely make a new player quit not enjoy the game. Same goes for camping the trade channels to find the ocasional buyer for pillows or treatment rifles. Specially for those not playing on primetime.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I agree that noobs need to earn a living and such. That is not the problem. The problem is that the game needs to adress these problems and MOST IMPORTANTLY the scaling of the missions dificulty. Which is what we are adressing atm.
    The problem however is NOT the missions. The problem is the economy and accessability to equipment for new players. You your self said it. "Farming and making monies is in my experience the most essential thing when starting the game. Which is wrong, it should be about playing and learning the game mechanics at start..." and I agree with you. In an ideal world it would be.

However, step back and look at this from a broader prospective, or perhaps a different view point.

Alternate Viewpoint (This is not fact, but theoritical way to look at things) : I'm a froob, I started a soldier, but it's far from my first time around the block. I have a main in the late 100's, closing in on 200. I have money floating around and have a good solid org to help me get new characters off the ground when I need it. At level 25 I have a neutrino flash, a 5 slot GCB filled with dark memories, exarch robe, a full ql 50+ implant set, full carb armor, and am ready to go for 25 levels before I worry about upgrading my implants an armor. I pull these missions and mow through them. Sure some take a little kiting, waiting out NSD effects from TMS, etc, but over all it's challanging but not impossible.

Now, the MAIN difference between your view point you posted earlier (nice job btw, you actually had me believing you where a complete newbie) is gear and it's availability. Low levels gear makes huge huge differences. I honestly think it shows more blatently in the low levels than the higher levels. One can do the missions, one cannot. Is it because the missions are to hard or "impossible", no sadly that is not the case. The problem is the gear and it's accessability.

So perhaps instead of pushing funcom to nerf the missions, which I would almost be willing to garentee would nerf the wonderful amount of xp from them and thus make them pointless to do, we should instead be pushing funcom to make changes to the early game to make it more newbie friendly. That discussion however is for another thread.

I stand firm however in my belief that the mission difficulty is not a problem. Yes there needs to be tweaks and additions to the system like removing kill order restrictions and seperating various "types" of missions (stealth/recon, brute force, sub 200 elite types) but the difficulty is on the whole just fine. The problem lies else where. Rather than fixing a symptom lets go for the cause.

Actually the "Illegal cargo" mission is quite good fun. Beats the hell out of the kill 30 Smugglers day after day.. If you check the map of Smuggler's Den on AO-Universe you should have no problems finding your way around.

If they force people to explore underused areas of RK then I am very strongly in favour of the daily missions. The variety of mission however, definately needs some work.
    Reetzor 150/9

Quote Originally Posted by Reetzor View Post
    Actually the "Illegal cargo" mission is quite good fun. Beats the hell out of the kill 30 Smugglers day after day.. If you check the map of Smuggler's Den on AO-Universe you should have no problems finding your way around.
    Finding the way down to the crates is easy. Unlocking them isn't; the part about B&E making things easier but not being required is a cruel mean-spirited lie, as my alt with around 200 B&E can attest to after 103 failed attempts at opening the crate. The problem is it's pure luck of the draw whether the way down to the crates is clear or not, and if not, then you're right back to hacking through mantis after mind-numbing mantis to get there, fewer than the kill mishes sure, but still pretty boring. Which after getting the kill 30x mantis mish 4 times pretty much makes me want to delete any mish that contains the words "smugglers den". Don't get me wrong, overall I love the daily missions and they've taken me to parts of RK I've never been to before. But I'm starting to hate the Smigglers Den

Quote Originally Posted by mocs View Post
    ''Illegal Cargo

The Smugglers Den is filled with illegal activity, but the company has little solid evidence. Your assignment is to locate the crates in the hangar and bring back a sample of their goods.

Breaking and Entring skill will make your job easier, but it's not a requirement.''
    poor description since there is no map for it,last mission I roll in their current state.
    rate 2/10 Daily Missions.
    The smugglers hide-out isn't that big, and there's only 1 room with a fairly big and obvious shuttle in it... Not having a map isn't so much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaaaxx55 View Post
    Finding the way down to the crates is easy. Unlocking them isn't; the part about B&E making things easier but not being required is a cruel mean-spirited lie, as my alt with around 200 B&E can attest to after 103 failed attempts at opening the crate. The problem is it's pure luck of the draw whether the way down to the crates is clear or not, and if not, then you're right back to hacking through mantis after mind-numbing mantis to get there, fewer than the kill mishes sure, but still pretty boring. Which after getting the kill 30x mantis mish 4 times pretty much makes me want to delete any mish that contains the words "smugglers den". Don't get me wrong, overall I love the daily missions and they've taken me to parts of RK I've never been to before. But I'm starting to hate the Smigglers Den
    Hmm odd, I had the mission once on a lvl 150 char with 0 IP in BE and the crate opened instantly

system intrusion quest?

any clue..im stucked log off inside cyborg cithdel..checked all roorm..where to use virus thing?
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Hokutonoken View Post
    system intrusion quest?

any clue..im stucked log off inside cyborg cithdel..checked all roorm..where to use virus thing?
    keep fighting your way through. theres alot of side rooms and what not, but its more or less linear, and at the end you'll see a wall which is a giant computer; your cursor will change when you hover over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercia View Post
    When I returned to the game I had 3 mil saved up in 3 days just from blitzing the low ql +intel pistols and ql10 concrete cushions. Does it suck, yes, and this is a problem for new players who would rather jump into the game and play rather than take the time to learn the economy and make some money the old fashion way.
    But you knew what to expect because you "returned to the game".

Somebody who is new to the game and on his first toon
    • doesn't know that QL10 concrete cushions and low QL intelligence pistols are in demand
    • doesn't even know that those items exist and that you can roll missions for them but you need to have a certain level in order to pull the correct mission, etc.
    • doesn't know that there are shopping channels (they start at lvl 15)
    • doesn't want to read tons of guides and compare and double-check the information in them in order to find out if the guides still apply or are outdated
    • does only want to level up a bit, learn the game, and enjoy

I guess that many people will delete their very first toon sooner or later and start over because they found out new aspects of the game and want to try again (and this also includes ways to make money).
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Hi,

I still have noidea how to do "Extraction" daily mission. Every time I pull this mission I had to cancel it.

Wtb a guide on how to do it properly. or is it bugged, I cannot seems to complete the mission.
    Ceenah 220/30/66 PvM NT @ Newcomers Alliance
    Eeenah 199/0 Froob NT @ Newcomers Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    But you knew what to expect because you "returned to the game".

Somebody who is new to the game and on his first toon
    • doesn't know that QL10 concrete cushions and low QL intelligence pistols are in demand
    • doesn't even know that those items exist and that you can roll missions for them but you need to have a certain level in order to pull the correct mission, etc.
    • doesn't know that there are shopping channels (they start at lvl 15)
    • doesn't want to read tons of guides and compare and double-check the information in them in order to find out if the guides still apply or are outdated
    • does only want to level up a bit, learn the game, and enjoy

I guess that many people will delete their very first toon sooner or later and start over because they found out new aspects of the game and want to try again (and this also includes ways to make money).
    Honestly they don't have an excuse for not knowing about cushions or low ql intel pistols as they are both talked about in the stickied thread in New Arrivals forum, the thread is named 'how to make money as a new froob player" or something to that effect. If someone cannot take the time to even glance through the new arrivals forum when they start the game I don't take much pitty on them, particularly when people like myself put out the word to them about this thread. The knowledge is there and in plain sight, no excuse for not seeing it really.

Shopping channel starts at level 11 by the by, and if they don't start noticing the blue text scrolling up saying shopping channel then... I dunno what to say. Level 11 is reached pretty darn quickly even with only newbie island gear.

My two biggest suggestions for the daily missions have to do with the lockout timers. I'm sure these suggestions have been given before, but I don't see them.

1) Put expiration times on the missions. There's nothing more frustrating than pulling a daily, realizing it's not your cup of tea, and forgetting to delete the mish. You log back in and crap, either wait another 18 hours or just suck it up and give it a go. I know, I know, I'm basically asking for someone to correct my own stupid error, but hey, I'm just looking for someone to correct my own stupid error.

2) Adjust the lock out time for a deleted/failed mish. I don't think that you should be able to pull and delete missions until you find the one you want. After all, part of the goal of these missions is to get you out into different areas of RK. But I think it would be reasonble to reduce the lock out on a failed or deleted mission to 6 hours. You reaped no benefit from it, so there's no issue. And a 6 hour timer means that you can have two shots at completing a daily in a single day if one proves too hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

my biggest gripe is the tough daily missions for froob. hardly anyone even teaming or on lft for daily ^_^. I see mostly expansion toons at my lv (lv86) soloing or high lv alt, following behind.

done two quest and on third..and need help for both of the quest already..spent over 1 day each just to finish quest...with left and right outside buffs from all professions i can find..and still need help to kill some mobs.
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Xercia View Post
    Honestly they don't have an excuse for not knowing about cushions or low ql intel pistols as they are both talked about in the stickied thread in New Arrivals forum, the thread is named 'how to make money as a new froob player" or something to that effect. If someone cannot take the time to even glance through the new arrivals forum when they start the game I don't take much pitty on them, particularly when people like myself put out the word to them about this thread. The knowledge is there and in plain sight, no excuse for not seeing it really.

Shopping channel starts at level 11 by the by, and if they don't start noticing the blue text scrolling up saying shopping channel then... I dunno what to say. Level 11 is reached pretty darn quickly even with only newbie island gear.
    You actually expect people who want to play a game to read trough tons of guides and info before they can even play? Seriously??

Most people in general will want to play the game and have fun. If they cannot learn what they need trough the game, something is wrong. It should not be a requirement to read a forum which can only be found trough a website which is so messy and poorly designed no one can learn anything useful from it.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast