Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on daily missions

Did a few yesterday and today.

My take on things.

Some missions are very easy (tagging Inferno Prototype).
    Some missions are good for a reasonably equiped toon (Smugglers den crats).
    Some missions are very hard and require higher level toons or good twinks to achieve (killing mobs in WW camp).

Each level of dificulty should have its own handler. Now they are all mixed up.

Some missions are either bugged (Braindogs), too complicated (ToTW should not be in order, and Dreadbosses should be like Wrangeline said) or are not well explained (100 rollerrats).

These problems can be solved. Lets hope they are during this coming year.

There are however some serious design flaws that current dev team can not or is not willing to solve. Those are:

This is a game where the quantity and quality of equipment makes a huge difference, LET ME REPEAT -HUGE DIFFERENCE-, between the capacities of toons of even the same level. This may be good for the EPEEN of a few, it reduces the game to those few.

The new missions are a huge step in the WRONG direction. Now people can POWERLEVEL IN SL AND RK. The difference between new players and veterans, in terms of equipment and experience will increase a lot. Everybody in a hurry to 220 seems the motto.

This will increase the lameness of the BS. It is good that we can get some more VP from there. For those farming VP's it means less time of agony there. However the BS is a stupid concept. It puts people who dont want to be togheter in the same place. With a huge difference in equipment and experience that turns many into the prey of a few. Its not really important except for a small detail: it's not fun for most that go there. And not fun = leaving.
    Gustatus similis pullus.

I can completely understand trying to revitalize RK but here is the problem I'm seeing.

Why is a level 24 pulling a daily mission in an area where the mobs so much higher than you that they 1-2 shot you. Seriously I would never pull a mission at 24 all the way out in Longest Road.

As for difficulty. These are supposed to be solo missions. I can see making them the equiv. of perhaps a tick higher than a typical mission but not much higher.

Making the assumption that everyone is going to be twinked to hell and back and scaling the mission accordingly is just ignorant and will just run new players off.

You can only do these once a day. The time it takes doesn't make these better than grinding hecks or what have you when it comes to xp so they aren't any kind of grinding tool for quick leveling. They are supposed to be a distraction from the daily grind.

Scale them to the level of the player and let the mission shine instead of the level of the mobs you have to deal with over shadowing any possible enjoyment the mission itself would/could have been.

And get rid of the 'Kill in this order' that we have now. When I'm standing in a camped dungeon waiting with 10 other ppl for the same mob to spawn once every 15min I am more likely to say 'screw this' and go grind. It makes no sense what so ever and just makes a 'quick mission' into a 3 hour 'hurry up and wait'.
    Last edited by NaimahDolgoth; May 5th, 2010 at 19:11:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa View Post
    Just pulled one today on my 28 enforcer that had me trying to kill level 64 mobs in Wailing Wastes. Is this truly working as intended?
    ... you must use Pockets / OST now in RK when doing these daily missions... working as intended My "gimp" agent got mission to loot 3 items from cyborgs in Cyborg Barracks. On first attempt I spent there 1 hour killing those cyborgs slowly and didn't get a single item drop so today I just dual logged higher toon and teamed with my agent and the mission was done in 10mins... go figure FC logic how they decided the difficulty for those missions.

On other toons I got the mission to get items from Smuggler's den - took 10mins to complete it on trader and on crat - thanks to calms. For some other professions those missions will be very difficult (unless if you pocket...).
    [220/30/70] Fixer, [199/24] Shade, [150/20] Trader, [150/19] Crat, [136] Fixer, [71/6]Agent, [60/6]Enforcer + bunch of other alts

Quote Originally Posted by NaimahDolgoth View Post
    When I'm standing in a camped dungeon waiting with 10 other ppl for the same mob to spawn once every 15min I am more likely to say 'screw this'
    try the recruit button in your team window

I'm one of the lucky ones so it seems, with lockout bugs and "bad" quests.

I've had the "dark sprouts" and "Rats!" dailies so far, and didn't have any problems per se (other than spawn times).

I'd like to see a financial reward on top of, and in proportion to the xp; i.e 1/3 or 1/4 of the xp awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    try the recruit button in your team window
    That works great if they actually join and there isn't more than a teams worth of ppl camping the same mobs.

I popped 10 invites last night and none of them were in a team and only 2 actually joined. And, we still had to stand around for 45 min. waiting to kill the first mob in the kill list 3 times before we could move to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanana View Post
    If this is correct than I say well done for FC prompting people to go and try BS. Yeah you might not like BS but surely you could appreciate that this might be a way to ensure you get some VP each day by just signing up and taking part, regardless if your side wins or loses.
    Except we all know the battlestation wont be running, even if its running now it wont be next week. Even if it were running nonstop, I dont want to wait in line for 30 minutes to do my daily, knowing that if I go to the bathroom and miss the window I'll be at the back of the line for another 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnag View Post
    I gotta say, i understand your point, but PvPers have always had to do a lot of PvM to get a bunch of equipment that they crave for , for PvP, it really shouldn't be so bad to joing BS every now and then to get some equipment faster for PvMers.

They have stated they plan on introducing new missions that give VP's but are not in the BS, they didn't give more details, but it's also likely they might involve PvP, as the OFAB gear was introduced with it's main way of aquiring being the BS, a PvP intended element. PvM means to get it were secondary, perhaps it's pvP intended encounter?

PvPers could complaint they want to get bots, top symbiants and lots of weapons/gear that require PvM encounters and even "raids" to be available via PvP.
    VP was marketed as accessible through pvm and pvp both, none of that pvm stuff has ever been marketed as pvm accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    4) FC has been pretty adamant about the fact that they are not going to hand out VPs to PvMers. It sucks, but I see no indication that they are going to change this policy.
    I for one believe you're absolutely correct about this. It's why I cancelled my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    It's a phail, yes. But a well meaning one.
    If you fail this hard at work you should be fired. If your employee ignored repeated customer requests for information, you told him to get that information to the customer, and he directed them to a website that was down 23 hours of the day that required them to wait in line without telling them if this was the one hour of the day it might be working, would you give him a raise? How about after you lost half your customers? There's nothing well meaning about this fail, FC knows the people that wanted the vp daily didn't want anything to do with the failstation.

Well, i have had quite a bit of trouble with the daily quests but i think it is inevitable that there will be bugs. I am not all that put out with the bugs i have encountered.

I do agree Eroz_c's suggestion of splitting the long team quests and the short ones,
    at least the named dungeon ones should be separated as an optional extra.
    Killing 30 mobs 3 of each sort (and i guess they need to be killed in the right order) is not quite the same effort
    as getting a fixer HOT and crossing a zone with your flier to speak to a scientist, if you *can* get the easy one and instead get a multi hour dungeon crawl, i think most players will feel resentment.
    Luck of the draw? Sure, but a lot of emo-ness will result from this, so why not split them, is an easy fix.

It is now quite clear to me that the test server's semi-permanent population is not at all representative of the general population.
    The fact that the 00:00 lockout quest slipped through is my main proof here, did anyone at test actually abandon a quest at all?
    Test server database needs to be integrated into the launcher, regular patches like for the live servers need to be the norm for test, no more downloading an entire new database,
    having the patcher clone the live DB and then applying a patch would make it easy for anyone to get on test and check things out. No one should really have to do anything more than selecting Test in order to get on and check things out.

Things like getting fed-up and nuking a mission or the normal, not quite reading the mission description cause most-quests-are-not-that-hard, are not things "pro" test players do well at all, are they?

Oh and the VP mission sucked more ass than the lesbian rendition of a Tijuana donkey-show.
    If i could have a 40 min average time PVE mission for 500-800 VP (@lvl 150) i'd do that and smile.
    <emo>
    BS-queing for an hour and then getting a bugged BS with me and one same faction MA running around rather bewildered in our first evaah BS was kinda heart breaking.
    It certainly balanced out any fun i had had that evening.
    </emo>

For the new beginner experience, put a BS signup on noob isle, add an ammo vendor to balance melee Kyr's.
    I'd bet quite a lot ( and welsh if i lost) that this new BS would run all day and all'a the night.

Edit: tonight i got 3 BS rounds ( well slivers of them at least) and got the quest done, nice chunk of VP.
    Last edited by Dogtrauma; May 6th, 2010 at 01:01:32.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

on the mssion where you have to hand out X3 plumbo beer flyers, one of the npc's (nuets r us) is only selectable by tabbing and hitting the Use/"E" on keyboard to talk with him once he's selected.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Means: "- Targeting the Mysterious Alien Tower will now replace targeting that spawned Dreadloch boss. (Moxy or Deko)"

Yey, thanks for that

Player feedback works yo!
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrauma View Post
    BS-queing for an hour and then getting a bugged BS with me and one same faction MA running around rather bewildered in our first evaah BS was kinda heart breaking.
    It certainly balanced out any fun i had had that evening.
    </emo>

For the new beginner experience, put a BS signup on noob isle, add an ammo vendor to balance melee Kyr's.
    I'd bet quite a lot ( and welsh if i lost) that this new BS would run all day and all'a the night.
    For the first part, that sucks. But I'm pretty sure it's exactly what FC was hoping for. Not the hour long wait, or the confusion, but the whole first ever BS thing.

For the second part, that's actually one of the better suggestions I have heard in a long time. I would snip that and put it directly in the game suggestions forum (if something like it isn't there already). The only caveat would be that it would have to be either a complete different map, or a vastly scaled down one. But an introduction on newbie island where (without the sploits), characters are relatively balanced would be a great incentive to try it later on. In fact, there would probably be players that would never leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Well, i did suggest it last summer, that proposal was for a "boot-camp" style PvP zone, were only gear aquired from that PF could be used, from imps/ symbs and up.
    My experience in W:AR leads me to believe in a level field for plentifull/fun PvP.
    Too much "gear skill" breaks the casual PvP'ers=> no BS running.
    My idea does not, i freely admit, mesh well with AO's twink spirit.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

I just LOVE the cyborg costume!!! Thank you dev team!

please make it usable for all levels and be permanent! it look so cool
    FEAR ME I AM COMING FOR YOU
    - the anal avenger catcrab
    "i am pregnant with catcrab's babies"
    "catcrab has destroyed me. mentally, physically, spiritually. i don't want to live anymore."
    Means: catcrab is awesome

Pulled the "Distress Beacon" mission at the end of The Longest Road. I know there was quite a lot of QQ about it. I recommend immediately locating a lvl 100+ fixer and getting a FGrid. Exit 6-R is right next to the mission exit. (Ding!) It would have been even easier if I knew the difference between 6-R and 6-L before heading out. I sorta figured it out when I got my second FGrid with the requisite item though. =P

This mission is trivial for omni ( go to Foreman's ) and fixers.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

make cyborg armor avaiable to all levels and i will give fc all my monies

overall i think the daily missions are great. they are well thought out, and very diverse. it is a nice additional way to get experience points.
    Last edited by thecheeseman; May 6th, 2010 at 07:17:29.
    FEAR ME I AM COMING FOR YOU
    - the anal avenger catcrab
    "i am pregnant with catcrab's babies"
    "catcrab has destroyed me. mentally, physically, spiritually. i don't want to live anymore."
    Means: catcrab is awesome

I pulled a mission in Foreman's dungeon on my lvl 64 fixer from the clan junior handler. The mission requires me to do this:

Biomare: Chemical Vindicators

The Biomare institute was disowned a long time ago and is now a dreaded place where toxic creations and prototype constructs are loitering.

Kill 3 of each of the following to claim your reward.

Kill 3 Toxic Floaters
    Kill 3 Toxic Bloaters
    Kill 3 Heavy Cargo Haul Bots

Kill 3 Neutralizers
    Kill 3 Alpha Bio Constructs
    Kill 3 Shadow Mutants

Kill 3 Chemical Vindicators
    Kill 3 Beta Bio Constructs
    Kill 3 Bodyguards
    I managed to kill all mobs up to the Shadow Mutants but got killed a few times because 2 or 3 attacked me at the same time and bad luck.

Right now this is a question of honor between me and the creators of this "solo" mission. I already got 2 levels just by trying to solve this without external help. Maybe I have to level up a bit more and do the biomare quest too.

Anyway, I got the impression that FC kind of forces us to go to these special places with daily missions and hopes that we do other things than killing hecklers. To be honest, it was a nice change from leveling up in SL dungeons but on the other hand:

solo mission to kill lvl 70+ mobs for a level 64 toon

might be a bit much for some toons.

And what really pisses me off is this: Kill 3 of each of the following to claim your reward.

What reward? The missions says "Reward: None". Pleeeeeaase tell me how much xp or what other phatz I'll get when I complete this mission.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

I do agree some of the missions are simply too hard for the level they're pulled at. Mostly kill missions in dungeons can be very hard, or even impossible (level 150 boss on TL3 toons?)

Which level players get what missions could use a bit of reviewing.

Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    make cyborg armor avaiable to all levels and i will give fc all my monies

overall i think the daily missions are great. they are well thought out, and very diverse. it is a nice additional way to get experience points.

Finally! Now when I head out to PW and type RP stuff in vicinity to cyborgs I will feel so much more immersed.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrauma View Post
    I'm not a PvPer and have never been to BS, but if there was one on Newbie Island, I'd give it a try. As Hvyshadows already said, this would be a nice one for the Game Suggestions forum.

One small point. My Doc (101 and equipped as a healer but with CDRs) ended up pulling an AXP mission. I could cope with one bug but 2 or more and I hugged reclaim, and to clear the mission I had to clear 3 in one or two rooms. Prob OK for a DD, but not for a support prof

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast