Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on daily missions

I have enjoyed all of the new mission so far except the BS based missions. I am not a huge PvP person, but I do go up to BS and work to get VP for armor/weapons. The problem has become that in my time zone (EST) there are rarely any people on in the evening (when working adults play) to even get a BS running. Even with the new missions out the past 2 days I have gotten a total of 55 VP from the 3 BSs that did run the past few evenings. The 2 or 3 BSs that did run ended in less than a 60 seconds after people left (yes I played the *losing* side just to try and get the thing going each time).

Funcom needs to address this issue in some way. I would not mind having to PvP outside of BS for the VP reward (duels, something else), but don't base the "new" way of getting VP on a single instance mechanic that does not reliably work. Also please don't make the mission reward based on *winning* the PvP content as not everyone is geared for PvP or skilled at it compared to PvM. People trying to PvP and growing in skill or generating more PvP battles should be enough to deserve a reward.

I left AO once to try WoW and quickly came back; however, the one thing I did enjoy about WoW is when I could not get in on the large scale raids I had something to do (don't even start to tell me that LE Missions are something to do since they require 10x more game time to come close to BS rewards) to aid me in getting better to try and get in those raids.

just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Waitinqueue View Post
    I have enjoyed all of the new mission so far except the BS based missions. I am not a huge PvP person, but I do go up to BS and work to get VP for armor/weapons. The problem has become that in my time zone (EST) there are rarely any people on in the evening (when working adults play) to even get a BS running. Even with the new missions out the past 2 days I have gotten a total of 55 VP from the 3 BSs that did run the past few evenings. The 2 or 3 BSs that did run ended in less than a 60 seconds after people left (yes I played the *losing* side just to try and get the thing going each time).

It's not a situation of age demographics, but timezones, you EST time puts you away from most players, which are Europe based, many of us are in the same train =(

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnag View Post
    It's not a situation of age demographics, but timezones, you EST time puts you away from most players, which are Europe based, many of us are in the same train =(
    Part of it is age demographics though. School gets out soon which means that children who may be on EST (or any USA timezone) might play during the daytime whereas working adults (on a typical 9-5 type schedule) won't be able to play until the evenings.. I think that's what he was getting at with his post.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Both of you are correct in the points you made. The population issue (regardless of time zone) should be taken into consideration when the most viable (by miles and miles) means of getting something done in game is almost unworkable. There have been lots of suggestions made to deal with this from solo (pvp or pvm) type missions to setting a minimum amount of vp for starting a BS to allowing people to choose their side (color based instead of faction)....... The daily missions seem to miss the boat again because they rely on a mostly broken instance.

I could also deal with the argument that OFAB is for PVP if they would introduce some PvM armor that is on par with the OFAB armor. The problem is the OFAB armor for many professions is well beyond their chosen (or for neuts T2).

ok end of my rant and I suppose that makes this my 3 cents now

"One Foggy Hill"

Visit one of the foggy rock shrines in Pleasant Meadows, many dark enigma gather here.

Save the sprouts. Kill 3 Dark Enigmas.

This daily mission isn't working atm. Me and 2 other people were at the mission coordinates and there was nothing there. loads of mobs suddenly spawned and then they vanished again.

20 minutes later, they spawned again and we got 1 kill and then they vanished again.

At this rate it's going to take an hour to complete this mission

Edit: Ok, figured out the problem. The other people for some reason kept attacking the ONE mob they were there to PROTECT.

Now that I figured out that though, there are still 2 problems. Spawn-timer is waaaay to long. If there are several people there, you can multiply that timer by the amount of people there that are unwilling or unable to team. Also, when the mission is done, you have to make sure the one you were sent to protect "is alright" but if it died during the attack, then you gotta wait for yet another spawn.

And so on.

Edit: Oh and saving that special mob is impossible solo.

What a waste of time
    Last edited by Wrangeline; May 6th, 2010 at 19:56:14.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Didn't read the 500 pages or walls of text but I have to ask - why the 18 hour lock out?

Are missions like these really that OP that you can't let people just chain pull them? Or even something like a 1 hour lock out? Given that these are suppose to help with 'solo' content, why is there such a massive wall placed in front of the player still? LFG is dead, and using this system as an alternative - it will currently only take me like 3 weeks to level....

Oh look guys new content, oh wait I can only do this once every day.
    Grenadearchy Online
    Takun - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Crit Monster - Overlord of Mortar Kombat
    Grenades - Grenade Engineer [Equipt] - Leveling Monster - Advisor of Mortar Kombat

Grenade Infos
    Pure DPS - [Setup] - 1701 Fling to cap Sloth - 1% crit is equal to ~28+ damage
    Agg/Def: 100% - 1440 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 150 Ranged Init to cap Sloth
    Agg/Def: 0% - 2640 Nano Init to insta cast Isotos - 1650 Ranged Init to cap Sloth

theya re "daily" missiosn, and are not meant to replace the usual leveling methods, but to help with that.

they are fine being on a lockout, as long as they all get properly fixed on the parts that currently are problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Drmurskain View Post
    on my 146 froob, i got mission to kill 100 rollerrats at serenity islands. You cant use RK treatment/firstaid kits there, which makes it way too hard for froobs :/
    You don't actually have to fight them. It is enough to train them to the device that starts after you talk to the NPC. That device will kill them for you. So all you need is good run speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    You don't actually have to fight them. It is enough to train them to the device that starts after you talk to the NPC. That device will kill them for you. So all you need is good run speed.
    Pretty sure they have the same RS as the toon doing the mission.
    But yes, faster run speed will get you back to the exterminator faster so you can train more rats at the same time.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrauma View Post
    Pretty sure they have the same RS as the toon doing the mission.
    But yes, faster run speed will get you back to the exterminator faster so you can train more rats at the same time.
    Yes, what I meant with the run speed was that you need enough to be able to train 100 of them in 15min time frame.

Have done a 220 solo mission. got sk into level 10 research but no token as was promised by the reward item.
    started tagging the dread bosses but got bored after camping the first one for 15 minutes and no pop. going to sleep this mission sucks.
    For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken

I pulled the Smuggler's Den kill mission...kill 10 sets of three mobs in a row. I have to say, this is *not* a quick or easy mission for a 130 MA. Between having to have a fair amount of OSBs just to survive the 185ish mantis that are crawling all over the place, the training, the waiting forever for the next adamant hound to spawn, I'm about 60 minutes into this one so far and I haven't even gotten to the blood red smugglers of the next part. I have a feeling I'll be logging out and finishing tomorrow.

Overall, these are nice -- though I seem to get the same ones over and over -- but they don't seem to be completely thought out for level range or the sheer length of time it will take if you can't charm and have to kill in order. At the very least, make it 10 separate kill missions so I can try and do them at once instead of standing around waiting on spawns.

Update: Okay, I just completed it - got orgmates help to speed it up. I'm pretty sure my MA could solo every mob in there with care and caution so it's fine difficulty-wise but *only* if it's shorter. Average of 2 Red Dawn perks to kill each mob...just the pure killing of the mission order mobs is about 30 minutes on the last ones. And that doesn't count the dozens you have to kill because they are out of order, etc., etc.

Total investment: 2.5 hours, 4 HnQ, 2 gsf, 1 reclaim, 1 220 advie. This on a 130 MA with pred, dragon armor (inc chest), full research, most ai, and top nanos. I really pity the lower TL 4 toons that get this and the people that really only do have 30-60 minutes.
    Last edited by Lyrajayne; May 7th, 2010 at 06:06:17.

Unhappy

same here, my lower level toon died right away from the red Mantis' in the smuggler den mission.

also in the rollerrat mission it seems that if you train them too far they start to break off and run away somewhere :/
    Destroyyou

I am stupid I dont know how to do Extraction mission. Wtb dummy guide.
    Ceenah 220/30/66 PvM NT @ Newcomers Alliance
    Eeenah 199/0 Froob NT @ Newcomers Alliance

I had fun with all my dailies till now. Though I could argue that doing inf low solo would be faster leveling on my 216 soldier on most missions, some are faster. If you aim for maximum sk, doing inflow would more save.

But these missions offer a lot of variety, so I will, at least until I get the feeling the dailies get repitative, do them more likely than an inf low.

The PvP mission leads to even the loosing side getting at least once per day a reasonable number of VP if the mission runs through. Here I just would have liked another mission, so that you can gain VP in lvl ranges where there is nearly no bs running. (Would not mind if it is somehow like the old pvp mishes, with flag in a certain area).

And on my lvl 60 enforcer I was already abled to get aliens to beat up. Was fun being teleported to a small ship and installing some explosive device.

Overall, a nice variety. Now if you add more missions over the time, and giving the new ones a somehow higher priority, I think this was a nice addition to the game. Good job.

I was running through rome today and just managed to snip a section of the chat that caught my eye of a couple of froobs.

(07:20) [OT OOC] Avalear: anyone having luck with there daily missions
    (07:21) [OT OOC] Avalear: failed the one from yesterday and now i can't do another one for another 18 hours because i didn't talk to them after i failed it
    (07:21) [OT OOC] Kymeta: i have been reading some pretty uspetting results myself
    (07:22) [OT OOC] Avalear: sent me to Bliss to convert someone and they died on the way out of the mission
    (07:22) [OT OOC] Face: I have the "A Contingent Spy" mission & on my way there I got 2 shoted by a clan npc
    (07:23) [OT OOC] Face: Its only the 2nd quest ive gotten & I dont even have enuff map navigation to upload the area map
    (07:23) [OT OOC] Kymeta: the missions need to be dynamic like the terminals
    (07:23) [OT OOC] Kymeta: not sending a level 110 to kill 175s
    (07:24) [OT OOC] Avalear: some parts you need a team for
    (07:24) [OT OOC] Avalear: should mention that
    its mostly errors on the players part but they make a valid point. when you fail a mission, the window should update with "Youve Failed, you can retry in 18 hours" with a timer, dont send players back to remind them of there failure only to have to return again the next day.
    RK2:

Fireal - 220/21 Solitus Soldier
    Aspairus - 220/18 Opifex Fixer
    Zomgdead - 220/13 Solitus Engineer

Overall I am happy with the daily missions. However I think it could have been executed better.

Some of the missions, in particular smugglers den are a royal pain due to two factors. First of all it takes longer just to get there (unless you happen to have a fixer available) than it takes to actually complete many of the other missions. Maybe you should put the portal to better use when dealing with remote locations?

Second, missions where you have to kill x amount of mobs of a specific type.
    This is probably a bit worsened due to the sheer number of people doing these quests, but even if you only have one other person doing the quest just ahead of you, it leads to a frustrating long wait just for the mobs you need to kill to be spawned. I pulled "kill mantis" mission last night, and after an hour i gave up having only gotten 7 kills, which meant i had to wait 20-30 minutes for the correct mantis to respawn, and overall the entire mission would have taken several hours due to someone else doing the same mission just ahead of me. Same experience with the smugglers mobs. I had to spend 2 spawn cycles waiting for loot collectors to respawn because there are too few of them.

Another problem is that the mobs you need to kill are a) Aggro and b) social which means that anyone passing trough... and NOT needing to kill the specific mobs you need to kill... will have to kill them unless they happen to be a calmer. Which just makes the whole thing even more painful.

Personally I will just delete these kill mob missions in the future because they are not worth the time and effort needed. They are only a source of frustration and i can definately get more tokens and XP just by running a regular old RK mission in the same time i have to sit around waiting. The exception would be if I am lucky enough to be the only person in the instance (yeah right) so the mobs I need to kill are actually spawned, but since I have no easy way to get to the mission, it takes to long to even find out. So I simply wont bother.

And in responce to a comment earlier in regards to repopulating the RK playfields with player activity, me flying above a playfield in a yalm on my way to the other side of rubi ka does not qualiify as having repopulated the playfield.

Personally i think that these missions first of all should allow you to kill the mobs out of order. That will make it less painful and actually allows you to DO SOMETHING while you wait for the various mobs to respawn.

The respawn rate on the mobs in these kill missions need to be upped

The mobs needed to be killed imo really should not be aggro to prevent them being killed by people not needing to kill them.

Let players use the portal to access far away missions. Don't need to be placed on the doorstep, but somewhere in the general vicinity would be good.

Separate missions in hard to access zones from the easy missions to different NPC's or mission choices and up the reward on the harder missions like kill x mobs so that the reward better reflects the time you need to spend on the mission.

And I'll just close by adding an experience I had with a low DD profession on a mission out in medusae country to kill criminals.
    The criminals ranged in level from just above the doc i was on (177ish) to 207.
    Which wasn't exactly a problem since none of the mobs would return fire when attacked. Instead they all proceeded to start gridding away the instant they where attacked. Which presented me with a little problem. Without UBT, I simply could not deal enough damage to kill even the mobs near my own level even when tripple dotting and going full agg with pistols and using dmg research HUD.

With UBT I could just do enough damage on the lowest mobs to kill them before they gridded out.

Is this really working as intended? Because I can imagine several professions having problems dealing enough damage on the higher levels with nice fat HP bars to kill them in the 20-30 seconds it takes for them to actually complete their grid nano.

And on a closing note, you really should get the lockout timer when you START the mission instead of when you finish. That way you avoid the problem with players being locked out potentially for an additional 18 hours when they fail to realize you actually have to return to the HQ, and which imo is stupid design anyways.

Anyways, overall the missions are great, but a few of them definately needs a closer look imo.
    Last edited by Khalem; May 7th, 2010 at 08:00:55.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

At lower level these missions are great. Reward is nice, and some are actually quite challenging. At 220 however they are boring and the reward is not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalem View Post
    Overall I am happy with the daily missions. However I think it could have been executed better.

Some of the missions, in particular smugglers den are a royal pain due to two factors. First of all it takes longer just to get there (unless you happen to have a fixer available) than it takes to actually complete many of the other missions. Maybe you should put the portal to better use when dealing with remote locations?
    Top tip: Use the Steps of Madness NPC in Newland to teleport there, then you only need to fly 5 minutes to Smuggler's Den.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Here my point of view, after my daily mission :

Enforcer, 184 not well equipped (but i can solo by myself that's not the point)
    Got Mantis Den kill type mission. I had 5 of them to kill x 4 type , so 20 mobs.
    I started the mission when i got back from work, killed 2 at entrance, and then i had to wait respawn.. 1st thing that got a bit frustrating . I was able to solo, but killing time was ok, could have been quicker if better equipped.
    2nd thing, the xp.. took like 5min maybe more or less, but getting 8K xp was just ridiculous , this is a 18hrs lock, mobs should give more xp. (just for the mission owner, not on a regular killing rush i agree), but that was just tooooo low xp considering time for kill.
    I couldn't finish my mission yesterday night after like 2 good hours of killing and waiting. So I finally finished it this morning and got the 18hrs lock and about 13-14 xp reward. That was nice.
    Here a few questions :

-> Why not locking the mission from the moment you take the mission and not the moment you finish it? Because for me, I will not be able to make a new one tonight when i get back from work, and will have to wait tomorrow night.. this is not very cool for casual gamer. It's not anymore a daily mission but a 2 day lock atm
    -> Please give a better xp/kill for the mobs involved in the killing chain, they got more life than regular mob, and take more effort. (as a 184 I had no trouble but i can see some 130ish have a really hard time just to kill one, even support prof)
    -> PLEASE MORE DAILY MISSIONS !! this is awesome !

get it going!

Ab.
    "Telemak" : 215 Soldier // "Anogineer" : 210 Engineer // "Abdominaux" : 199 Enforcer // "Doctordre" : 182 Doctor // "Zzzzzioon" : 174 Fixer // "Pandantatete" : 170 Agent // "Kickndie" : 150 Martial Artist // "Notoriouss" : 149 Martial Artist // "Xzibeat" : 150 Nano Technician // "Ilovefarming" : 128 Agent // "Rabijuice" : 75 Keeper // "Zzzengy" : 60 Engineer // "Shanasha" : 55 Soldier // "Abdominus" : 46 Enforcer

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast