Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to Balance Ranged vs Melee

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    We have as good armour, if not better than your weapons. There are bulletproof vests out there NOW. In 10 years time there will be nanotube-titanium kevlar reinforced weaves with stopping power far greater than what there is now.

MY armour gives me 30 to EVERY weapon and special skill. I'm 100% sure it's vastly more advanced than your "box of bullets"
    No armor is that advanced and probably will never be that advanced, unless it's a tank. Modern bullet proof vests are not proof against full automatic fire, or even in most cases armor penetrating rounds.

And, if the person is moving quickly, the closer he is, the faster you have to move your gun to keep up with the moving target, the faster you move your gun the more inaccurate the following shot. In otherwords, your FA could easily become an outdated special if you want to keep arguing.
    If I fill the air in front of me with 50 bullets, they won't be dodgeable to someone in front of me. It's physics.

Misunderstanding how real-world weapons work while citing them as examples while claiming your fictional armor is awesome is not an argument.

MOVING TARGET VS STATIC TARGET:

ALL moving targets recieve +10% to evades to avoid ANY attack, melee or ranged.
    ALL static targets recieve -10% to all evades in the chance to hit.
    All attacks made while moving (in the case of melee) recieve -10% to attack rating.

Combine The efects of range and moving targets, and we will be a LOT closer to solving the ranged vs melee problem.
    All this does is favor melee - because they could strafe while still hitting their target, while ranged would have to stay still to shoot.

The problem lies in server sync - which your suggestions would worsen - and profession toolsets. Trying to jam first person shooter mechanics into character skills solves nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

If we are gonna go all "real life":

ever try to hit a moving target?

ever try to hit a laterally moving target at 20+ meters range?

with a Scope, and laying down, with a rifle I'd give you a best case scenario 30% chance to hit.

with a pistol, assault rifle, SMG, 5% for a trained professional.

I just finished watching a series of war documentaries, and it seems there is 1 single factor which determines the odds for getting hit with a bullet: moving.

Care to try to argue this?
    Yes
    Yes
    Im not a trained sniper
    Yes, Yes, Yes.....and I AM a Trained Professional.

Quote Originally Posted by EIS View Post
    I said you cannot hit 27bullet FA from 20M.
    Correct, but Professionals DONT use it. (Ask the Mujadeen how effective this is)
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

This is what you get for bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    If we are gonna go all "real life":

Yes
    Yes
    Im not a trained sniper
    Yes, Yes, Yes.....and I AM a Trained Professional.

Correct, but Professionals DONT use it. (Ask the Mujadeen how effective this is)
    yes you are arguing? or yes you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    This is what you get for bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    Well we could rename it ranged online, but I don't think it has the same appeal.

And, this is ridiculous statement in the context that there are 4.5 out of 12 I think profs who are designed for melee combat, AND, in most cases are clearly adept at winning about half of toe to toe battles (except in the case of pistol user's, who now, in a single stupidly designed patch have made ALL pistol using profs WAY OP'd).

Bringing a knife to a gun fight isn't the case, since, it's actually you guys who are bringing guns to a Pet, nuke, fist, knife, sword, pistol, throwing star, etc fight. from this, it sounds like a gun is an option, but perhaps just one of several choices.

btw, if you're doing hand to hand combat, I'll bet that most combat veterans would discard their "gun" for a pistol, or small calibre weapon which is easier to aim under attack, OR a knife/hand to hand combat weapon.

btw, if you're doing hand to hand combat, I'll bet that most combat veterans would discard their "gun" for a pistol, or small calibre weapon which is easier to aim under attack, OR a knife/hand to hand combat weapon.
    really wouldnt be hand to hand combat if one had a gun now would it...
    Shadwstalker - In before agents are cool again! http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=171841
    Imsoparanoid - gimpeh http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=128791
    Shadwenf - gimpeh http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=133295

Guys, you guys, seriously you guys! Armor that is based on future technology should be totally wtfpwn in that it makes us invincible lolol! Guys, you guys! Seriously you guys! One hit kills with s words its so realistic and it would be like woosh! and swash! and I'd be like, "YARGH MATEY! HAND OVER YEE BOOTY". You guys! Dont you see that applying real world mechanics to games is totally sensational, phenomenal and makes perfect sense!

Come on guys, take me seriously! I dont use much brain power or common sense but I know that when what I see stuff in real life isn't replicated in the wtf awesome games I play I get sad inside! Seriously you guys! I get sad and upset! That is why I gotta be like woosh and swash and slice and dice with my s word and wtf cut off peoples legs and arms and get benefits for doing so while they get nerfed!

On a more serious note, if you want to keep sounding like an idiot and think your suggestions actually are useful than keep going.

Well, if you are going to use real life as an argument why ranged should be inaccurate at a distance then we will use the argument that people with guns are at a major advantage to people with swords.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Guys, you guys, seriously you guys! Armor that is based on future technology should be totally wtfpwn in that it makes us invincible lolol! Guys, you guys! Seriously you guys! One hit kills with s words its so realistic and it would be like woosh! and swash! and I'd be like, "YARGH MATEY! HAND OVER YEE BOOTY". You guys! Dont you see that applying real world mechanics to games is totally sensational, phenomenal and makes perfect sense!

Come on guys, take me seriously! I dont use much brain power or common sense but I know that when what I see stuff in real life isn't replicated in the wtf awesome games I play I get sad inside! Seriously you guys! I get sad and upset! That is why I gotta be like woosh and swash and slice and dice with my s word and wtf cut off peoples legs and arms and get benefits for doing so while they get nerfed!

On a more serious note, if you want to keep sounding like an idiot and think your suggestions actually are useful than keep going.
    I normally can't be bothered with stuff like this, but, I think I'll quote you so you can't edit it.

I lol'd, but not because you're funny. I lol'd because this is the most pathetic attempt at literary pwnage I have ever seen. Your lightning wit and exceptional prose must make your parents proud.

I normally can't be bothered with stuff like this, but, I think I'll quote you so you can't edit it.

I lol'd, but not because you're funny. I lol'd because this is the most pathetic attempt at literary pwnage I have ever seen. Your lightning wit and exceptional prose must make your parents proud.
    And your low IQ must disappoint yours.

balance melee vs ranged? > stop bringing knives to firefight!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciekafsky View Post
    Every single profession is underpowered when compared to advys. Learn to live with it. At last they dont alphakill you so you are not underpowered but rather somewhere near the very top of the food chain.

And your low IQ must disappoint yours.
    Your inability to see the obvious must disappoint your member when you zip it in your fly.

You are in no position to assess my IQ. You see, you have mistaken Intelligence Quotient with understanding. You do not understand, and you grievously attempt to harness your ignorance on someone else. Your likeness to a boor is, in this case, unmistakeable.

Your credibility, while never reaching much higher than that of a common thief, has only taken a downturn since you loosened your clenched jaw. Take a break, collect yourself, and when you make your next comment, do so with the intent to argue the virtue of the idea, instead of making comments which portray your inability to comprehend basic game mechanics.

By the way, if you really are looking for an undressing, you've come to the right place. Sadly, I don't indulge in belittling people for self gratification, and I don't battle wit with unarmed foes, so, know that if you feel scorned and pitiable, it is not from me, but it is from you.

You sure use a lot of big words incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    ura big word

no u

A lot of arguments for lols, discounting.

a) Assault rifles in 29476 could be so upgraded that hitting 27 bullets in a clip is completely legitimate, and recommended given equipment of that day and age.

b) People are so genetically enhanced, that they can move faster than weapons can fire projectiles. This is entirely why melee is 'valid' in 29476. For example: See the matrix.

Of course, if you arent fast enough, you can cop 27 bullets right to the face. Again, exactly like the game mechanics suggest. There's no discrepancy or reason for change in the first place.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

well the reason for change in the first place is that melee are at a significant, and, I really mean significant, disadvantage in any open PVP situation.

I agree with you kink, but, it's not about what the future holds, it's about balance.

Like, we can argue about potential or plausible outcomes of soldiers and bullets and matrix evades or whatever all we want, but, the bottom line is, is that approximately 4/12 toons are at a significant disadvantage in PVP. And, playing them in a way that doesn't make them ridiculously disadvantaged in open PVP, makes them ridiculously underpowered in 1 on 1 PVP.

seriously... who of MA shade or keeper can afford 10 perks in SD? none, the perk line is completely barren for most people, and it needs an adjustment.

Once time, @ band camp, this NT wiped the entire camp with his ****ing AoE nukes.

So many sad parents. If you wan't to know the NT was never punished, he assumed that NR was working and all would just counter it.

W H A T !! !! !!

than keep going.
    This is wrong !
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    you use a lot of little words incorrectly

Not at all.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast