Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to Balance Ranged vs Melee

Enough with shade whines already, you got plenty lately.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Parranoid1 View Post
    Shades dont have alot of trouble killing the target when they are at them
    Very untrue vs. crats and fixers. 40s SA and 700-800 ish regular dmg don't kill as many ppl as u would think

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Enough with shade whines already, you got plenty lately.
    U made me cry klod :S what else am i supposed to do in my spare time :/
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

Good to see that in my absence, this entire section of the forum has remained an utter waste of interwebs.

O'hai

Quote Originally Posted by Burgly View Post
    U made me cry klod :S what else am i supposed to do in my spare time :/
    Kill some MPs. Oh, wait...

Man fc should throw in the towel already. With complete stupidity of the playerbase evident in this thread, it's a small suprise you guys mastered to use a keyboard and mouse simultaneously. This prolly by far the biggest bs thread in the balance forum. There comes a point when one should be ashamed for having such dumb ideas. I think you should sign off permanently from area of the forums. But tbh we all should. Having a playerbase to balance pvp is asking for a fail.
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    ok, point taken.

agree about keepers, shades and MAs and enfs. I think tho MA's are OK, not good mind you, but OK. If UWOS had a bit quicker recharge (30s) with a bigger -RS modifier on target, that would allow MA's to do a decent snare, and allow them to catch up a bit more. (mind you , MA's can't land it on fixers or ranged advies, or any other evade class, which kind of makes it useless.)
    Apart from one Keeper and Crats/Fixers, I never had trouble landing UaWoS. That's because of their (very) high AAD, and I bet the Keeper was probably teamed or something really. Care to explain ?
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Quote Originally Posted by Soliartist View Post
    Apart from one Keeper and Crats/Fixers, I never had trouble landing UaWoS. That's because of their (very) high AAD, and I bet the Keeper was probably teamed or something really. Care to explain ?
    You don't count Ange. Taking you to set the MA standard will prolly just lead FC to nerf MAs big time.

PS : Hmm? yes, I need to borrow you some money, how did you find out, damn it.
    Tribute to Aratink : Racatti and Artyomis will be pale shadows of you as long as they don't have the infamous Clanslator in their sig.
    Noim, Neutral TL7 NT
    Sethis, Neutral TL7 Keeper
    Anthraxal, Omni TL5 Enfotrox

Here's an idea:

Stop ALL specials recharge timers while running (or at least: while in-fight & running) = no more fp headless chicken circle running = more actual fighting instead of "chasing" (aka sync abusing till the specials recharge)
    (pets would have to get forced to /follow after a certain distance/time of running to avoid abuse)

If you want ta run away go ahead, and if you want to kill someone - FIGHT instead of running.

p.s. Fixing the f***ing sync will be a great step forward too, but with how things are going it'll never ever happen, it just gets worse by the patch.
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDmg View Post
    Here's an idea:

Stop ALL specials recharge timers while running (or at least: while in-fight & running) = no more fp headless chicken circle running = more actual fighting instead of "chasing" (aka sync abusing till the specials recharge)
    (pets would have to get forced to /follow after a certain distance/time of running to avoid abuse)

If you want ta run away go ahead, and if you want to kill someone - FIGHT instead of running.

p.s. Fixing the f***ing sync will be a great step forward too, but with how things are going it'll never ever happen, it just gets worse by the patch.
    Some ranged professions need to kite though, unless we give them a toolset that does not require that. Soldier vs engineer, soldier HAS to kite. Agent vs enforcer, agent pretty much must kite. Fixers and crats, these guys have to keep moving. Think beyond tl7 as well.

While I dislike being kited by ranged professions it is a part of AO's pvp mechanics. This is why I would prefer momentary abilities to prevent ranged professions from kiting, not a nerf to kiting itself.

FYI: Ranged pvp DPM is higher than all melee professions asside from hotswapping MAs at tl7, and this is generally true at all levels as well. Before the QQ reply to this, I haz ranged pvp profs only atm, I r do calc and make number sense in brain so dun botha.

I read a lot of this thread. LoL
    Gustatus similis pullus.

Quote Originally Posted by Soliartist View Post
    What's to explain, that is exactly as I said.

I said I can't land UWOS on evade profs (you don't need to land it on MA, because they don't root you, so lets leave them out of it), no, the problem is crats (they root, a LOT) and fixers, (the snare, A LOT), and traders (who, if they have time to root you mean they have already drained you)... which leaves, the only root/snare prof left as agent.

And, lets face it, agents are not the problem here, right? The problem is fixers, crats and traders. (which we can't land UWOS on.... ) so, we agree, no?

/agree with gatester and critical dmg.

We do not, well not exactly. You said that it couldn't land on Ranged Aventurers, which is wrong.
    UaWoS lands easily on pretty much anyone, apart from Professions with high AAD. Adventurers, especially Ranged ones, don't have SO much AAD, at least not more than most Professions can get, that was my point. Yeah, I know, it's only a detail, but still. I wasn't talking about "when to use it".
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

OMG:

target is out of range!

I'm standing on top of a dude spamming brawl and champion perks: and guess what!? He's out of range!

WTB loanger range on weapon things!

melee is poo stain on the BS floor atm! when can we expect a bit of change to this distressing situation?

Quote Originally Posted by crattey View Post
    Good to see that in my absence, this entire section of the forum has remained an utter waste of interwebs.
    And the way you look toooooniiiiiiiiiiight
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

OMG:

target is out of range!

I'm standing on top of a dude spamming brawl and champion perks: and guess what!? He's out of range!

melee is poo stain on the BS floor atm! when can we expect a bit of change to this distressing situation?
    I usually get the same with my capped range crossbow, so... Might as well give swords the same range, it will probably still suck big time.

Or...

...they can actually try to fix sync issues and ignore such stupid suggestions.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by notcrattey View Post
    And the way you look toooooniiiiiiiiiiight
    woohoo another productive post from Mr. Obvious!

In case anyone's wondering, the reason melee left game is cuz they're out of range of everyone except the 20 people ASing them from 0 range, wait, which side of the server are you on? Oh, melee? I mean you're 20 meters away. It just LOOKS like youre standing on top of them.

We call that the ranged "benefit"

WTB 5m weaps.

Good thing I have a 5m weapon
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

OMG:

target is out of range!

Even agents get that bug sometimes (humping some guy spamming AS and getting "target is out of range!"), it has nothing to do with being melee or not.
    Zenevan2 - 220/30/70 agent

woohoo another productive post from Mr. Obvious!
    Mr. Obvious is still a hell of a lot better a title than Mr. GIEVLUVTOMAISWARDZFITERANDNERFEVERYTHINGMYPROFESSI ONDOESNTHAVEKKPLX.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    FYI: Ranged pvp DPM is higher than all melee professions asside from hotswapping MAs at tl7, and this is generally true at all levels as well. Before the QQ reply to this, I haz ranged pvp profs only atm, I r do calc and make number sense in brain so dun botha.
    ORLY? I beg to differ.
    Last edited by crattey; Jun 9th, 2010 at 20:41:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I'm just gonna go ahead and mention that DPM doesn't mean jack in PvP since most battles on BS are decided, and concluded within 20 or so seconds.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast