Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lold... er... Friday with(out) Means - June 11th, 2010: Hai noobs!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    what anarchy?
    Anarchy Online is the name of the game. It doesn't necessarily make the game an "anarchy simulator"
    There's plenty of Anarchy going on in AO to justify having that word in the name though. At least I think so. (This is purely a point made about the word, not what I want from AO myself)

As for the balancing for group PvP thing.. I honestly don't know why anyone would do balance like that. It makes no logical sense to me. The only reason I can come up with for balancing like that is because they aren't good with details, so they choose to balance in a very broad and hamfisted way and calling it group balance, even if it dooms "balance" to only ever reach 50% of its potential. Which is somewhat silly since they can do the same amount of work as they are currently doing to reach 100% potential by focusing on 1 vs 1 balance. If there's 1 vs 1 balance then that balance will automatically translate into good group vs group balance.

I find group vs group balancing strategy to be very weird and that's before I even touch on the subject of this being a low populated game, which makes group balance even worse.

I'm not all-knowing though so perhaps someone can enlighten me of the benefits of group vs group balancing in a Private Message? (I don't wanna hog this entire thread for this one topic)
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Jun 14th, 2010 at 06:26:06.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by tyfowler View Post
    With genele answering all these questions can she answer this one?

When are we going to see some video of the new engine? we were told about it like 15 weeks ago...
    You'd have more chances asking FC's cleaning guy. Do you ask your bank about the next fruit delivery?

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    If PvP was so grossly imbalanced in 1 direction players that see PvP as their primary enjoyment point of AO would move in that direction. Example to past problems, NTs triple / double were very overpowered before some other items came around and made them not as powerful.
    uh, I'd like to know what items made double/trippple not as powerful.

Since BR nerf, BS is full of soldiers again. On RK2 at least, RK1 is sticking to NTs it seems.
    blah

Also i think team balance has no effect on my play regarding BS alot of pvpers solo BS.Wether that makes it balanced or not i think the majority like to go unteamed.
    If funcom are balancing all profs to suit a team i firstly dont know how that will be done,as it will have zero effect on my playstyle.I guess at worse case i will see loads of teams running around bs and i wont be able to play as i like so i would move to somewhere else or suffer a 1 v 6 situation lol.
    Lets hope thats not the case as i may not be the only person who is an independant pvper.
    I understand BS is designed for teams to get points,it doesnt change the fact that this covers the needs of people who are more into pvm and less those into pvp imo.
    Hence why people have this crazy idea that the pvp is being slowly chipped away to nothing but pvm style player versus player with a monotonous limited battle enviornment.
    Maybe i have a one sided view.Its just what i have noticed talking to fellow pvpers over the years.
    There are alot of whiners on all fronts of the game and i guess this can make developing the game a little distracting..like people screaming for no more old school titles then others afterwards wanting them back...imo a system needs to be invented to cater for both pvm playstyles in pvp like BS/notum wars and any person versus person playstyles like the city pvp that hardcore pvpers must go in search of all over rk enemy cities.
    I have had many hours of fun invading rome blue near basic shop on rk2 for example and calling out for someone to get rid of me,which escalates into anarchy! aka me getting chased in and out of the shop pvping a couple of 220's trying to kill me for fun.
    Its hilarious,brings some of the best pvp moments ive had ingame and isnt boring once it gets going.
    Cant say BS is this fun.Its more like being forced to go to a boring looking enviornment,put on a ticking clock and getting kicked out of the action because some dude capped all the points and killed all the pvp for the next few hours.....
    Pvp is made redeemable for pvmers because bs ends and gives points for armor.Pvpers dont want rounds they want to pvp in an interesting enviornment for as long as possible.The accomplishments of armor is nice but when you hit the limit(got all the items) the enviornment of the BS loses its appeal and numbers dwindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Typeon View Post
    Sniiip
    That text looks to asian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Quote Originally Posted by Iriche View Post
    That text doesn't look asian enough
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Iriche View Post
    That text doesn't look too asian enough

Fixed'ed

<Insert witty quote here>

Blondenurse :: 220/30/67 :: doc
    Decepticon :: 220/30/70 :: adv
    Icingdeath :: 200/16/36 :: adv
    Sykebil :: 148/xx/xx :: doc
    -------------------------------------
    And many other alts

Quote Originally Posted by JenShay View Post
    ^--- Hmm ... yes. That is all there is to do.

• Enjoy twinking for a dungeon.
    • Getting into mixed up teams, 3 agents, trader, doc and NT (kill or be killed team.)
    • Chatting with people.
    • Helping others to go out and do something or get an items.
    • (Sl00b raiding sucks as a foregone conclusion) Fr00b raiding with having to keep a 6K critting, agg stealing MA alive.
    • Pulling adds away and rooting them as part of a plan.
    • Feeling part of a whole.
    • Seeing a team work.

Bleh. Going to bed.
    I was responding to a PvPer. Been expecting a "Go QQ" in this thread for awhile.

Great, and I, as a Pvp-er, enjoy to do all those things too. However, I can't stand the damn braindead farming in between, or at least, I could stand it if I could enjoy Pvping on regular basis and in good enough conditions.

Half of the lasts posts say "zomg you wana make AO a full pvp game, wtf !?!"... Come on, it was never about making AO a full pvp game. My wine is only about asking the developers team to spend as much time on pvp content than on pvm content, to show that they think a little bit more about the long term...

Pvm was and always will be the main part of AO. But if you could easily go try out your new shiny weapon you just got, the new setup you just put on, the last perk config you set up on others Human Players, from level 1 to 220, to take some breaks in the damn brain washing farming needed to level up, it would just be great.

AO is perfect for that in the sense that at any level, you can stop farming and start twinking the hell out of your character. However it is REALLY not rewarding, if the only thing you can do after spending a few days twinking is to go bash some more stupid creeps, with only a nice speed increase in the number flying over their heads to account for your whole effort.

If they could only offer like a few more BS maps, small ones for low levels, with remote access, it would already help so much. Tired of subway? Tired of Token farming? Tired of TotW? Tired of Hecks, tiigs, Hecks, Hecks?
    >> Remote access your local BS, with smaller maps, to enjoy pvping for 30 mins to a few hours.

Of course the "twinks versus random leveling chars" would always be a problem, but with this alternative I believe we would see Battle stations running a lot more, with a lot more of random people joining in to take breaks in their leveling, and taking advantage of the VP to get some free stuff on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfindwe View Post
    Great, and I, ...
    ... could take the mixed team of whining BS queue campers to go and do those things; until it starts and you all *poof* into it.

I also have an axe to grind with the PvMers that do only the brain dead activities because, "The game only begins at 220!" or sit with a full team+ on LFT because no one can make the effort to form the team and or are sucking their thumbs while they wait for a 220 to pull the mission for them.

I don't know what happened to this community. I have some strange delusion that they used to be better than this.
    Really sick of people that can't do things for themselves and want everything handed to them. This new generation of gamers is pathetic. "Go reroll!"

/rant
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

Personnally i like both PvM and PvP aspects of the game, with a preference for PvP, but problem of PvM as i see it is that it turns into an endless time sink very quick. I mean i enjoyed doing collector twice on test. Then after release, 1 time a week, top. Then it is always the same.

PvP is actually never the same and provides a super huge amount of different situations, specially in BS. It is even richer then a FPS like CS in most case from what i feel. Of course to enjoy it you gotta do your homework and crack up the PvM aspect to be able to gear up properly, so both part of the game are linked. I don't think most pvper hate PvM, or at least they shouldn't, according the time sink and repeativness was toned down.

Maybe an explanation : PvPer *might* be more hardcore then the average player, be able to spend more time in game, so they are able to be done with PvM content to be able to PvP. PvMer would be softcore, and ask for more PvM content so that they can never be done with their toon. 2 different scale.

To those true PvMers that want endless content via PvM ways, without ever gettin in touch with PvP, i d like to suggest to roll new alts, new alts, new alts . . . Gettin 5+ toons fully geared to 220 should takes you couple years allrdy.

That said, let's agree that PvM is too much of a time sink in most case, that it can be toned down, droprates increased, so that when you go in alba for your bacer you spend an hour, or 2 instead of the 10 hours atm, and when you done with your 1st char, roll a 2nd, redo alba for him, 2 hours, etc, x5 toon, and you ll have do 10 hours of alba like today.

That way, people that enjoy PvP will be able to get into it waaaaaaay quicker. People that are a bit shy on PvP might go try it cause they d have less gear issues and 3 end-game toons on their account collecting dust while they grind up their 4th toon, which would be ready to use.

tldr of the concept : Increasing droprates, rendering lvling easier, doesn't reduce the PvM content of the game, makes pvp more accessible, and still offer opportunity for hardcore PvMer to reroll new toon (we got 14 profs afterall, tomorrow's veteran standard could be to have rolled more then half the available profs) if they wish to redo the PvM content. That doesn't even mean FC has to stop designing new PvM raid and instance, but they gotta move from the whole whatever-item-it-is-that-you-want-it-won't-drop-till-your-eyes-bleed concept which is sooooooooo ****ing retarded.

edit : Also to all the dumbasses that assume a thing or an other about number of PvPer versus numbers of PvMer, just shut up till you back up your assumptions with facts (stats from FC, based on polls, etc). This is ridiculous to argue based on plain crass.
    Last edited by Djantro; Jun 15th, 2010 at 13:30:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Djantro View Post
    Personnally i like both PvM and PvP aspects of the game, with a preference for PvP, but problem of PvM as i see it is that it turns into an endless time sink very quick. I mean i enjoyed doing collector twice on test. Then after release, 1 time a week, top. Then it is always the same. ...
    I think we can agree on that much. I really hope we do get a surge of new subscribers and FC capitalises on the marketting with the fr00bs and advert program. Since, I would like them to hire a good AI programmer. (I will do )

This game doesn't need high drop rates only because it will be finished sooner, the goals will be reached.
    What it does need is dynamic and difficult encounters.
    Changing mobs with spawn that have randomised bags of tricks. That run away, call for help, heal each other and so forth. The gap between the AI of the mobs and the player "AI" can be much closer. Infact, if they wanted and did it. The AI could be superior to the players, just like super chess programs.
    As the game stands, the more expansions you have, the higher level you get, the more armour you get, the easier and more gind filled it becomes. I feel this is wrong. It should scale up. You should need all that gear and have help getting it to cope it should push your gear, you "skills" and your tool set to the maximum.
    Dynamic places like RK missions (though better made) would also be good.

The game should be teaching you tricks and tactics to cope with it. It should be progressively more challenging and daunting, requiring more from the player and less from just have "uber" gear.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

One other thing about all this never ending PvP talk is that it largely just seems to stop there, with talk. Once you go in game and look at what PvP actually goes on you see it's not really all that much most of the time. Talking about how great PvP supposedly is and saying how you'd like to PvP more isn't the same as actually doing it by a long shot.

Often enough outside of TL7 and maybe TL5 towers no one or almost no one comes to defend so many of the battles that take place never had much if any PvP in them. Seven out of nine of the BSs are dead and one of the two "active" ones can have a hard time getting going. Then when BS rounds do happen a decent number of the people inside aren't there to PvP and can't put up a proper fight or are there just to farm easy kills to boost their listed PvP kill count but run from real fights. Tara last I looked had real problems like how one of the two sides didn't even bother to show up at times. Arenas, low gas zones and the like don't see much if any action. Where's all the PvP in this game happening if soooo many are nutty for PvP in AO?

Talk is just talk and gets nothing done. If FC keeps adding more content people aren't using or interested in they'll just end up adding more content people don't use. This is one of the reasons I keep saying FC needs to look at what people are actually doing in game and talk to those actually playing, not rely on the forums as much as they seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by JenShay View Post
    As the game stands, the more expansions you have, the higher level you get, the more armour you get, the easier and more gind filled it becomes. I feel this is wrong. It should scale up. You should need all that gear and have help getting it to cope it should push your gear, you "skills" and your tool set to the maximum.
    I think this is exactly what we need to get teams started again. For mostly anything now-a-days, i.e. Inferno Missions, nobody needs a Doctor anymore. If they were to bring up the difficulty of almost everything in the game (Meaning encounters, everything else like making credits and equipping your character efficiently is about normal), it would then be more team oriented and people would have a better chance of getting things done rather than a veteran player with 2+ accounts with 5+ 220's being able to solo their way through everything.

I know I shouldn't speak for other people but I don't see how they can keep soloing things with 2 or more accounts without the use of outside help. Teams are what keep this game enjoyable and like I said, there are less and less teams happening now.

I finally hit 210 on my doctor and am able to join TL7 BS. After few rounds of higher level BS I have a bit different view of it. First of all I know that I am the lowest of the level range so obviously that is against me. Second, I am purely PvM setup. Third, it is my highest toon so, my gear sucks even for PvM toon.

There were several times that I felt that I went insta splat just because someone looked in my direction. I couldn't kill anyone. Most of the time my UBT was countered, dots countered, weapons miss.... and so on. Felt very useless. Got really close to "all PvP sucks" opinion. Then every now and then there was someone else that was not 220 and PvP setup. I still couldn't kill them but at least I was able to stay alive in 1 on 1 situation long enough to feel that I was actually doing something. Sometimes I was also able to land random UBT and made my small contribution to the battle and at those times it really wasn't that bad.

So, my personal opinion is that biggest problem with AO PvP is that it is only fun if it is "PvP toon vs PvP toon" or "PvM toon vs PvM toon". Unless that gap can be somehow made smaller I think there will always be a lot of bad feelings between PvM crowd and PvP crowd.
    Last edited by Crowena; Jun 16th, 2010 at 03:28:33.

16 weeks have passed by so fast...
    Solweintraub - Engi - 220/30/70
    Byteflush... - Advy - 150/04/14

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    I finally hit 210 on my doctor and am able to join TL7 BS. After few rounds of higher level BS I have a bit different view of it.
    First off, there's your problem.. Doc's are always alpha'd in PVP unless you have a set up like Rmik with over 23k HP and a deadly AS weap and of course being on the low end of the food chain, your almost always going to die.

I recommend a Soldier, they're easy to learn and love. Actually very cheap if your doing PVM all the way until 210 as all you need is pretty much decent Imps/Symbs, Peren Blaster and Ofab which you can always farm.
    By the time your 210 with some decent Ofab (I used QL200 that I farmed from TL5 BS and it still worked great) and a Dshark, you still have a chance vs. other top end players.

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht
    Question: will we be someday able to buy a ready to pop 220 toon with vet points?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    No. Not while I am in charge at any rate.

That being said a character part-way (say level 200) might be something I would consider for vets who already have a 220 main.

This is called "waffling"? 220 just feels offensive...200 a little less.
    I can has now?
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetics View Post
    First off, there's your problem.. Doc's are always alpha'd in PVP unless you have a set up like Rmik with over 23k HP and a deadly AS weap and of course being on the low end of the food chain, your almost always going to die.
    If you read the whole post you can see that I am very well aware that I have multiple things working against me. Also I mentioned that it was not bad against toons closer to my level and PvM setup toons who obviusly were there for the same reason i.e. VP. I was even able to tank 3 attackers for a little while because they were not PvP toons.

Quote Originally Posted by Prosthetics View Post
    I recommend a Soldier, they're easy to learn and love. Actually very cheap if your doing PVM all the way until 210 as all you need is pretty much decent Imps/Symbs, Peren Blaster and Ofab which you can always farm.
    By the time your 210 with some decent Ofab (I used QL200 that I farmed from TL5 BS and it still worked great) and a Dshark, you still have a chance vs. other top end players.
    Everyone roll a soldier!

I wasn't asking what to roll to be able to PvP. I have very little interest in PvP and the only reason for BS visit was because of some VP. As far as I know, you can't transfer VP to another toon so rolling a soldier to PvP with really would not help me.

It is a problem that not220 Pvm Players have no real chance on battlestations, but it would be bad too if a 210 pvm char could kill a 220 pvp char, this would mean that the effort the pvper put into his char was worthless.

What i suggest to do in this case is to form a team, even a 210 doc could helpt a bit in team.
    Or to use a Turret, it makes me kinda sad to see, that no one uses them... Funcom should push them into another direction, maybe make some personal researches which boost them or something else, you could make them modifyable so that players could push them with some Items, better armor better weapons oh well i am pretty sure everything of this stands l ike 100 times in this Forum alrdy.
    But what i wanted to say is, a well placed 210 peep in an antiperonal tower, or how it is called, the one that shoots people, can kill people... find 2 other lows and form a group of 3 build up 2 apt and 1 avb somewhere where people run around (maybe at C if it is your side or better Core) and you will kill someone for sure

Being 210 and doin BS sure sucks in some aspects, but some things can be done to enjoy it / fix minor stuff. Crowena's post is a good exemple of it.

Now if i were to pvp with a 210 doc, i d twink HP as much as i can (20k should be possible ?), grab RRFE, and only with that it should be way better overall defenses then with the usual 10/12K HP most greeny doc run with.

Load the assist macro on your hotbar, and be as annoying as you can be... Use LoS, be sneaky, wait behind a piliar with a friend targetted to heal at good moment, etc. Obviously don't expect to kill people, even 220 doc have issues with that.

An other exemple, 210 agent wasn't that bad, AS+CH+run a lot. Ofc you can't perk anyone, everyone perk you, but if you stick with other people you can do fun stuff.

Most prof probably have some opportunities and means to do their best. Being a 210 gimp in BS is imo a part of the learning process and teach you couple usefull things for when you ll be 220 and twinked.

What is just sad is to see all the people that refuse to make any effort and whine 24/7 either in BS chat, or in viscinity after a round.

Easier to make the red mobs orange

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast