Thread: Diminishing Effect ? (PvP balancing needed)

Diminishing Effect ? (PvP balancing needed)

I have been thinking about this for quite awhile now.

The problem or atleast one of the major ones as i see it now is: Root/Snares can be chain cast and then some more, without it having any consequences to the caster so to speak.

What i propose is, first time a Root/Snare is cast on target A it lasts full time.
    Second time its cast on target A, it lasts a shorter amount of time and so on until forexamble the 4th time or so (subject to tweak ofc) the target A then comes immune Root/Snare whatever was chain cast for say 15seconds or so, in order to give target A a fighting chance, to either run after his enemy and get a few cuts/shots off, or run away and live to see another day - Aka diminishing effect -

The problem as i see it is that PvP _should_ be fun for both the guy that got the upper hand and also the guy thats the underdog in that particular fight mentioned as an examble.

The way it is now there is no fun at ALL in being the underdog.

Also the Victory Points awarded to the side that lost that particular Battlestation should have alot more than what it currently is, perhaps even just as much as the winning side.
    One gotta consider the amount of players in AO now a days, and if one side keeps on owning the other side, well that particular BS just wont run for along time, which is also a shame for those who actually enjoy it.

Another idea would be so to speak handicapping based on level (right click a terminal to get bonus): It could be so many things, what im thinking of it that one could tie the bonus to the player forexamble a decrease in the AR of the higher lvl players or it could be any number of things, so to make it a good fair fight for EVERYBODY in the battlestation, because if you are a player that just barely hit 150 are a new player and such and you barely got anything else than miys or whatnot and a lets say 174 enfo is running towards you, he as it is NOW will kill you in less than 2 seconds with the alphas and a couple of perks. This would be to even it up and im talking to YOU Mr.174 Ubertwink (What if it changed, and you were the underdog, would that be fun for you? I think not, so lets ALL! have a fun time playing AO).

Please IF you are to give critisism, make it constructive.

i think roots break enough alrdy for that to even be needed i can see that working lets say if you lower root times in pvp only and hav no break chance 0o? but the duration times would hav to be rly short

Perhaps the root/snare break after lets say 3 doubles/alphas and ur down 25-50% hp, but nothing is stopping the enemy from casting root/snare again, again and again, waiting on cd for either double or alphas and go again.
    Why do you think there are such a big difference in the amount of classes playing the Battlestation ? because those few surtain classes are simply too strong and therefor the nublets that only play to win choose those ?

Roots with short timers and no breakchance? i think not, it would be the same scenario as it is at the moment. perhaps u could get alittle closer to your enemy but wouldent ever be able to catch up on him or hit him a single time before going down.
    But for that to work it would have to be down to 5sec root/snare at MOST.
    No, diminishing effect is really needed so the gap between range and melee, pvm and pvp wont be as supreme as it is at the moment

Let's make it a fair and fun AO, where all have fun (even the underdog) and not some elitist crap game, because there are far far too many out there.

FC have already said that they plan to introduce local cool-downs to all hostile nanolines, which act as lockouts on a given nanoline. They have also mentioned using the "Affected by" nano mechanic to prevent a given character being repeatedly debuffed/cc'ed again within a given time.

There will need to be a balancing effect in the other direction too of course. They've said they want to reduce nano recharge length on most of these nanos at the same time, so that players are able to use more of their toolset (for example: a root followed immediately by a debuff or a nuke). So, you wouldn't be able to just chain cast roots every 4.5 seconds because of cooldown - but you would be able to cast a series of different effects.

Most people seem to expect that a whole range of other elements may need some adjustment as these changes come in. Def check values, Breakability, Removers, Immunities, Resistances etc will likely all need some kind of adjustment.

Diminishing returns is another route that FC could go... and potentially one that could work together with the above plans too. Whether it would be as necessary once the above plans come into play is another question. We really need to be seeing more detail of just how the nano changes are going to play out.

X

Quote Originally Posted by Raelil View Post
    ...a long quote...
    Believe it or not roots/snares play an integral role in some professions defensive toolset. If diminishing returns then a cooldown were given to roots/snares, then at a minimum all static root/snare immunites have got to go along with 1 click removals for all but crats (this includes rage) and the Spatial Displacement perkline. They should also break a little less frequently.

Ohh but im very well aware that roots/snares is a part of some peoples DEFENCIVE toolset.
    The word defencive should be used as such, to perhaps get away, and not a part of the offencive setup which most players by far use it as.

With diminishing returns, rooting/shareing would _force_ those players to actually think a extra time before they just root/snare and begin the unbalanced way of fighting, it would make duels and BS require more than just a faceroll to win a fight id say

if you are a player that just barely hit 150 are a new player and such and you barely got anything else than miys or whatnot and a lets say 174 enfo is running towards you, he as it is NOW will kill you in less than 2 seconds with the alphas and a couple of perks....
    ok, your 150 got owned by a 174? and you want to nerf roots and snares because of that? lol

dont take this the wrong way, but if someone spends a huge amount of time twinking, and you stroll in to the BS with "barely ... anything else than miys or whatnot", AND they have 24 levels on you, i would expect nothing less.

you want to be competitive, then try levelling and farming some good gear. go back to BS after that. just because your gimp gets killed easily doesnt mean the game needs a change
    ~Techmagos -220/30/70 Engi
    ~Aasimi -220/21/xx Agent
    ~Nyrlathotek9 -174/14/xx Sold

rk1>rk2™

But i thought i posted at the end of my first message that if people are to comment, only make it constructive
    Quote Originally Posted by Techmagos View Post
    you want to be competitive, then try levelling and farming some good gear. go back to BS after that.

with the example you provided, i gave you some pretty constructive advice. your inability to understand it is not my problem.

i guess you meant non-specifically though? since you say the following:

Im not argueing that a 174 vs a 150 shouldent kill him really fast, but have you ever thought that might be the main reason the TL5 BS hardly run, compared to what it could ? There is nothing to come for when the difference is as big as it is at the current state.
    see, have *you* ever thought to even consider there are different options in this situation? one of my characters in my sig, Nyrlathotek9, was originally made for s10, and was twinked at 150. s10 turned out to be boring compared to BS, and even at 150 i was able to kill 174s occasionally. so i levelled Nyr to 174 to have better odds.

have you ever thought that might be the main reason the TL5 BS hardly run, compared to what it could ?
    i disagree with this. just because you *can* go in the tl5 BS with a gimpy 150 doesnt mean you are going to do well.

There is nothing to come for when the difference is as big as it is at the current state.
    sure there is. do better, stop losing. take advice the first time, etc etc.

hopefully my example with my own *actual* tl5 character that specifically relates to your whine is enough to make you understand what im saying, i would hate for you to miss the meaning in the words twice!
    ~Techmagos -220/30/70 Engi
    ~Aasimi -220/21/xx Agent
    ~Nyrlathotek9 -174/14/xx Sold

rk1>rk2™

Yeah, feel free to add cooldowns etc for rooting, as long as you fine-tune agent/fixer CC so they actually land on someone.
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

Root/Snares can be chain cast and then some more, without it having any consequences to the caster so to speak.
    Yup, sure, and recharge is not a consequence at all!

Also, chain casting does NOT equal chain landing.
    Infact, the first one happens pretty often, while the other one is rare as hell.

The word defencive should be used as such, to perhaps get away, and not a part of the offencive setup which most players by far use it as.
    Are you high?
    Last edited by Koizumi; Jun 15th, 2010 at 10:48:12.
    You survived...You prevailed....Yet a bird's flight knows no end...
    Reality is a momentary dream but a dream is a reality for an eternity.

Kawaii "Koizumi" Akira - 220/25/70 soon-to-be-Berserk MA (refreshing!)
    Deadalus "Yumeno" Proxy - 220/30/70 Former stunwhore
    One "Namichan" Piece - 220/30/68 Drainwhore
    Aj Ar "Spawara" Triplenab - 220/24/45 Nuke-Welder
    IOmnomnomjoor "Emohatetellz" - 2/0/0 TL5 killer in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Quitter123 View Post
    How about this new nano for enfs, it takes random amount of nanoskills and nano to cast, when landed on random opponent it debuffs random weaponskill by random amount for an unspecified length of time.