Thread: Friday with Means - September 3rd, 2010 - Battlestation changes

Quote Originally Posted by Luziciona View Post
    In short: This will NOT make me visit BS more often. Sorry.

...and I think it will have a huge negative effect on TL5 range, which up to now have been running quite regularly.
    The difference between a 150 and a 200 player is too much, and ya'all know it. Sadly FC seems to have forgotten, though...

For this to work, some kind of balancing buff will be needed:
    It has to add at least RunSpeed, AttackRating/Defense and of course Nano resist.
    Good to see a few ppl who actually play the range and know it comment.
    Not just vp farmers and old trolls who love to gloat at the lost fun and effort for others.

Getting a BS-round going at certain Lvl-ranges is almost impossible atm. So this change could actually help for lower than tl5.
    With the new aipf ingame i think that the tl6 bs would run from time to time, if the loot in the new pf is rewarding enough to build twinks for that area. Normally it does not run as all people at that levelrange try to powerlevel out of it as fast as they can^^. (Same as for a certain range where most people sit afk on some rocks while leveling)
    So bs not running @ certain levels comes from no reason to have chars on that level for some levellocked pvm-content which gives good benefits (like sec 10 for example).

People who want to make a Sec 10 twink will most likely stop at 149 for farming their ofab stuff now, as they don't wanna be a even bigger cannon fodder as they are now. What goes away is the possibility of having fun with a twinked 150 char in battlestation.

I guess the population of tl5 notumwar twinks, who do battlestation for fun will decrease as soon as the first 200 bs-twinks are incoming.

But time will tell
    Last edited by Seinstheorie; Sep 4th, 2010 at 16:57:29.

Well,

beside the fact that i have to rethink my actual tl5 twinks, this change isn't bad overall.

There will be fresh air in ex t5 BS, new options, and more fun. Atm to be decent in tl5 bs u must hit 160-165, that mean no s10 option. Since there will be a new apf for 151-200 this changes aren't bad at all.

I just hope that the new apf will not be like s10 is atm, aka a boring grind fest. Less soloability would be fun, since there will be numbers for building teams.

Even a DR revamp will be fun. Actually there are no incentives in DR (DR solo instance looks usefull just to hit 160 quickly and then move to inf)

I think that solo instance shouldn't be mandatory for team one, but solo instance should reward player with upgrades for Goddess armor, to render em a viable armor for pvm/pvp. Since goddess armor set miss bracers/shoulders parts, having the possibility to upgrade actual goddess armor into a bracers/shoulders should be a fun option/incentive.

Just had an idea about rescalling the ranges:

Lower tls (don't know much)
    100-149: Pretty dead space atm, but perhaps will help a bit.
    150-200: Perhaps 150-190 Instead. Would include a view more levels to a curently running bs without making the powerlevel difference too big.

After that 191-215/219 or something like that would be possible, till now again a dead space cause of powerleveling, will hopefully change with new pf.

215-220 or only 220 BS: End level Characters will always eb there and so there will be a Battle Station.

I say.

YES for 150-200 BS.. and remove the level lock on the DShark plox.

Question

And what about HHAB? If it will be usable it will totally unbalance tl6 in respect of tl5

In short: This will NOT make me visit BS more often. Sorry.

...and I think it will have a huge negative effect on TL5 range, which up to now have been running quite regularly.
    The difference between a 150 and a 200 player is too much, and ya'all know it. Sadly FC seems to have forgotten, though...

For this to work, some kind of balancing buff will be needed:
    It has to add at least RunSpeed, AttackRating/Defense and of course Nano resist.
    This all depends on items level locks, as i said before, if 200 will be able to equip stuff like HH@B, then yes you are totally right.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeep View Post
    And what about HHAB? If it will be usable it will totally unbalance tl6 in respect of tl5
    Here is what will happen:

1. Bunch of ppl will QQ about hhab.
    2. FC will go WTF, and raise the level lock to 201.
    3. the few smart-ass ones that predicted it, will have it pre-equipped..and go lolololol in TL5 BS.

My recommendation, is to not touch it.

Opening up the level ranges is just making BS too asian for my liking...
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    Opening up the level ranges is just making BS too asian for my liking...
    Sorry.. the time limit for the "too asian" jokes expired 2 minutes ago.

Please insert another 10 cents coin in the slot to make them funny again.

To make hhab 201+ would be a really stupid thing, would kill off a few twink things for sub 201 toon to get from pande.
    I enjoy having pande memory and beast start on my 200 nt for example, would be more of a pain to farm without a hhab on that toon, as rk2 ppl know there is a bot (pandenuts) where the only req for joining is 190+ & having hhab equipped so...
    Last edited by swedoc; Sep 4th, 2010 at 18:09:04.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Here is what will happen:

1. Bunch of ppl will QQ about hhab.
    2. FC will go WTF, and raise the level lock to 201.
    3. the few smart-ass ones that predicted it, will have it pre-equipped..and go lolololol in TL5 BS.

My recommendation, is to not touch it.
    thanks for the smart-ass
    [Theater of Tragedy] Bottino: tomorrow i'll bring aamagawd to DR
    [Theater of Tragedy] Totbot: [ToT1] Johnnykay: cool
    [Theater of Tragedy] Bottino: to hit 160 asap
    [Theater of Tragedy] Bottino: then inf up to 200
    [Theater of Tragedy] Bottino: and HH@B!

If FC gave hhab a 201 level req, then they would mostly likely add the playshift thingie to it as well.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

yep..smart man..smart man.

you know...AO has been all about these kind of tricks in the past.

Silverback remember?

Proly a solution should be

On Equip
    User Modify Run speed 100

User Modify Nano resist 500 if User Level>=201
    User Set flag Cyberdeck 0x00000005
    User Set flag SL zone protection Pandemonium

or kinda ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Now you'll have to choose between being a "good" tl5 twink level such as 164 and getting a new hole torn inside BS, and do towers, which incidentally never really happen.

Great fun there.
    Your right and wrong imo Pat... itemization has alot to do with this. If FC unloads these current changes on the live servers without considering the items (which I hope/don't think they will) then your right but, if they go though and make changes where they need to be made the power difference between 200 and 164 is not great enough that you can't over-come it with skill.

If you think about it the difference between a 164 and a 174 is only slightly less then the difference between 174 and 200... the big concern here is itemization nothing more.

PS: I will still play 164/165 and I will not get my *ss handed to me just because someone decided to level to 200 and twink for the new PF... it will be harder to take them down and they will have a slightly bigger advantage yes but over all I can't see myself dying to more 200s than I currently do to 174s.

If they start making the lvl 190-200 items lvl locked at 201 then the future S7 twinks will suffer hard. FC should just finish S7 and let the S7 twinks fill the 175-200 BS. Leave TL5 BS alone and rather work on making lower lvl BS more fun, like adding a runspeed buff or something.

But there is no doubt that HHAB will ruin TL5 PvP. They could rather make it so that HHAB doesnt work in BS, not de-equipping it and lvl locking it, but just make it so that it doesnt add NR inside the BS.

Ruining lvl 150-174 twinks will be the worst move Funcom can possibly do, 150-174 is the most active stage for a reason, fix the problem areas instead of screwing up the one area that actually work, all you're going to do is to make every single BS stage insanely imbalanced.

In short: This will NOT ...and I think it will have a huge negative effect on TL5 range, which up to now have been running quite regularly.
    really?

that bs used to run all the time years back. it was the bs to be at. so many twinks, and so many vp nubs. i myself had a soldier that i kept at 174 for almost a year to enjoy that bs. that soldier has long since gone to 220. why? by the time i started levelling him again, that bs was dead 90% of the time, and I don't play this game to sit around outside a terminal spamming neutnet, hoping someone will showup. I've heard through the vine that tl5 bs has picked up again over the past month or so, but every time i run over there with my s10 twink, it isn't. so who do i believe?

riding on the nastalgia of what something used to be is commendable, but it won't save a sinking ship that needs repairing.
    Last edited by Worldofalts; Sep 4th, 2010 at 18:35:39.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Soliphus View Post
    Ruining lvl 150-174 twinks will be the worst move Funcom can possibly do, 150-174 is the most active stage for a reason, fix the problem areas instead of screwing up the one area that actually work, all you're going to do is to make every single BS stage insanely imbalanced.
    So true
    Last edited by Cyreidan; Sep 4th, 2010 at 18:36:13.
    Junfanlee 220/30 Martial Artist - Deranden 200 Froob Martial Artist
    Cyreidan 170/24/42 Adventurer - Daylate 110/12 Doctor
    Deraldon 100 Froob Fixer - Haroshan 90/9 Agent
    Deretham 65 Froob Enforcer - Malberan 36/4 Enforcer
    Forselling 25 Froob Trader - Talishon 21/2 Trader
    Forsidexp1 14 Froob Trader - Imwhoim 1 Froob Agent

President
    of Fist and Faith

What causes players to be certain levels for extended periods of time, and at what levels?

1-10 Lowbie pvpers and all players start here, obviously.
    9, 14, 21 Towers and the levels at which they avoid other twinks (overlapping point)
    24-25 Subway
    30-49 Tower wars and battlestation
    52-60 Totw and killing the 40's
    75-76 AI tech 2 at the lowest point and avoiding higher pvp twinks.
    86-95 Symb junctions where "nanoskill" symbiants become available. Tower twinks.
    100 Foremans (very few)
    109, 117, 126 Twink ranges to pvp other twink ranges at towers. Also tied to symb or item availability.
    150 Sector 10
    165-174 Battlestation and towers, also avoids 220's.
    200 Froobs and soon to be Sector 7
    207 Mongo Rage and killing 168+ toons with a huge stat advantage.
    220 You cannot level any further.

Shadowlevels should NOT be allowed to pvp non-shadowlevels in battlestation. Access to Xan areas also would make any 201 vs any pre-201 level completely unfair.

150 pvp twinks can kill 200 pvm twinks, and 170 pvp twinks will hold their own against 200 pvp twinks. 150 pvp and pvm twinks will have a significant disadvantage against 200 pvp twinks. Having 150s and 200s in the same BS will increase the likelihood of it running however, and seperating this group might cause a 151-200 BS to run while a 101-150 BS would rarely run.

100-150 would work if Foremans was given a revamping treatment or one additional playfield of high activity was made. S10 and the occasional twink for a froob dungeon will not supply many players in this range other than organized VP farms. Tower twinks are rare in this level range.

Players in the 61-99 range would be almost entirely tower war twinks, battlestation would not run but the open pvp playfield could actually remain relatively active. The only thing players in this range really want is pvp, and not a waiting line for it. The gap between a 75 and a 74 however, is like the gap between a 207 and a 168. Be VERY careful here because this sort of seperation in strength should not be forced upon, say level 60 PVM twinks.

I know my 30 agent could handle 60 twinks just like I can handle 49 twinks. Harder, yes, but being able to actually kill the highest range with the lowest range means that a 30-60 grouping would be fair. There are no PF's holding people to the lower levels of 30-39 so the few at this point would be pvp tower twinks and would attend regardless of the range. 52-60 has some highly overpowered twinks, but the majority would be more PVM oriented toons for totw.

Below that, you mostly have tower twinks, few subway toons, and a large number of players that have twinked for lowbie pvp or just started and want some VP. As long as overpowered perks like Notum Repulsors zap nano are not allowed against these players, BS would be active.

There is my summary, overall it should be fairly accurate. If you seperate too many "active" areas into their own ranges, there will be too few to maintain BS. If you make the ranges too wide to include enough players, then the BS would lose participation due to a seperation in strenght. You may have to keep some redundant level ranges for battlestation, it is likely innevitable with our current playerbase, but a low level, mid level, and end game ranges should be the main focus.

20ish to 60ish
    150ish to 200ish
    201+

These are what are most important to ensure they run.
    Last edited by Gatester; Sep 4th, 2010 at 18:36:18.

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast