Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebalance? Rebalance RK weapons!

Rebalance? Rebalance RK weapons!

Fact1: 99% of them are useless. Even for froobs. Even against the gimpest mob.
    Fact2: Roughly 80% of the weapon database consist of these weapons. LOL.
    Fact3: Some of them are useful as buff weapons
    Fact4: But for nothing else

If a rebalance would hit the servers, why wouldnt they rebalance the good ole RK weapons? No new mid lvl shiz would be needed to help mid lvl leveling

What i would like to see from RK weapons:
    - Low min dmg (lower than kyr)
    - High max dmg (higher than kyr)
    - Reasonable scaling
    - Reasonable cycles, recharge-to-damage tradeoffs
    - some interesting combos

no new gfx needed, no new db entry needed, just some rewrite of numbers.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Another facet that should be modified is the split AR many RK weapons have.

2he + melee energy?
    2he + piercing?
    assault rifle + shotgun?
    grenade + heavy weapons?
    grenade + pistol?
    grenade + assault rifle?
    rifle + shotgun?
    rife + bow?
    SMG + ranged energy?
    shotgun + pistol?
    shotgun = ranged energy?

Noone wants to use that ****.
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

I appreciate where you're coming from, but people bought expansions for better gear. What incentive would FC possibly have to make RK weapons any better?

Because paying customers want to use them.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

And if they were in any way comparable to expansion weapons, you don't think you'd hear an outcry? Go look at the threads where people suggest opening SL to froobs.

Huge bump on this topic, as always.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Dushey View Post
    And if they were in any way comparable to expansion weapons, you don't think you'd hear an outcry? Go look at the threads where people suggest opening SL to froobs.
    every expansion an weapon comes out that is 10% above the previous, and everyone stops using them.

so have froob weaponry capped out at 1k mbs with 30%-40% less damage then decent paid weapons, there would be nothing wrong.
    Hellrule 220/30/70 - Your future Crat Dictator
    Secretly Clan

I didnt say them to be better than expansions. if its true that every expansion adds 10% more, then there should have been MANY expansions :P

most of those weapons are 90% worse than those that people usually use mid lvl (kyr) and thats still not the best weapon of choice

Situation now:
    1, there are a few weapons use with more or less efficiency. for example lets pick a lvl 150 pistol engie that intends to level further. he either uses: kyr pistol(s), parasitic hecataleech, bigburger, CDR, engineer pistol
    2, the rest of the weapons cant even produce a fracture of the dps that the above weapons do, and that doesnt mean those weapons are so awesome

Situation what I would like to be:
    1, there are a few difficult-to-get weapons that are clearly better than any other option
    2, there are bazillion other weapons which may not be the best DPS wise, but at least the user will not be deemed as a "****ing leecher". they can still produce some damage, that will be enough just to get by.
    problem is that most of the weapons have trouble killing a lvl 1 leet.

Example:

heres this weapon http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=121837&ql=200
    Code:
    Premium Sleekblaster (ql 200)
    Attack time	1.2s
    Recharge time	1.2s
    Range	20 m
    Clip	60 - Energy ammo
    Damage	13-196 (101) - Energy AC
    got reasonable speed, bad range and laughable damage

what it should be for example:

Code:
    Premium Sleekblaster (ql 200)
    Attack time	1.2s
    Recharge time	1.2s
    Range	20 m
    Clip	60 - Energy ammo
    Damage	60-290 (211) - Energy AC
    In comparison to a ql 200 Kyr pistol: slightly higher max damage, much lower min damage. might be a better choice for RK while kyr is a better choice for SL. got better crits than kyr. people wouldnt be max DD with the RK weapon (especially not in SL) but at least it would be a better choice than just standing around in medsuit and leeching xp

With more developer work invested:
    some RK weapons to be redesigned as extremely situational or "crazy". people who use em would sacrifice something in return for a reasonable gain

example:

before:
    Code:
    Premium BBI Sigma III (ql 200)
    Attack time	1.62s
    Recharge time	1.32s
    Range	27 m
    Clip	28 - Energy ammo
    Damage	20-210 (101) - Energy AC
    after:
    Code:
    Premium BBI Sigma III (ql 200)
    Attack time	2.10s
    Recharge time	1.32s
    Range	27 m
    Clip	28 - Energy ammo
    Damage	20-200 (40) - Energy AC

proc: 60% chance for 1k energy damage nuke proc
    also can make low dmg weapons with very fast specials, high damage weapons with low specials, very high damage weapons with reqs of 4 different weapon skills etc. etc.
    I would like to see some more weapons for lower levels people could experiment with. in fact there are (or used to be) a number of RK weapons people used as offhand at 220 for pvp because of certain benefits (bows, arbalest, onehander, ithaca, razorback etc etc), but because of they nature they are practically useless for others. others say that 220 pvp toons using 5 yo RK weapons is lame, I say its nice that people can utilize them for a specific purpose. cuz lets face it, experimentation, twinking etc. are what make AO better than the nobrain MMOs
    Last edited by Aramsunat; Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:15:49.

Devil Inside

Fact: Make the game fun for froobs they stay. Fact: It becomes fun for enough froobs that you reach a free player quota, institute micro transactions, then brick their end game. Its the best way to get subscribers, you wont have people happy to test a game they are completely gimped at. Fact its 2AM here and I like saying the word Fact alot, cause it sounds good. It kind of pops.

/QFF (Quoted for Facts).

or, it could be /QFF "Quoted for Fibonacci" as well

As always, i am against changes to the froob equipment. The game in its current state means a challenge to many of us and we like challanges.

Spoons? Maybe. Spoonfeeding? No thanks.

*two thumbs* Vurt, sleep well
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

i agree. but:

i think upgrading the existing weapons was the right way. but making all of them the same is just wrong. all upgraded weapons are identical. what's the point of that?

reworking SOME old weapons to something useful would be really cool. i do think there is room for split ar weapons, but they need to have something to them that makes up for the double iping. either they're really good or have a special or are faster, e.g. like dualwielding..

just my 2 cents

didnt say either that they should be as good as the top froob weapons
    my real problem is with the huge difference between those weapons

and yes its a challenge when ur a total nub no friends known in the game and u have to stick with an extremely gimp weapon to kill mobs designed to be killed by weapons like pump trainee etc. its a challenge but not a pleasant one

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by Aramsunat View Post
    its a challenge but not a pleasant one
    That depends on your skills and your preferences.
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    1. What chance is there in FC going through the old RK weapons and fixing their stats and reqs vice adding new stuff? A good deal of the old school items really need minimal adjustments. Min damage being the most obvious followed by speed and then the multi-reqs affecting overall AR.
    A good deal is putting it very mildly. Most of the old items are "vendor trash". Updating these would be an enormous effort for very very little gain..given that for new players to "roll" these in missions would require clicksaver or enormous patience. I'm more inclined to provide missions with new decent lower-level weapons are rewards to help smooth out the nasty weapon aquisition problem at lower levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramsunat View Post
    There is a question intriguing me for a long time.

Roughly 99% of all the weapons in the item database are CRAP. USE-LESS. Good for nothing good for no one. Not even the gimpiest noob. Heck, not even as shop fodder. Some weapons suck even harder than the solar powered stuff you get on nub island. I seriously doubt if they were useful even at AO launch. With all the new weapons, there are only 3 old weapons functioning, the onehander, the sapphistic bow and supernova. With the upcoming specials nerf, all of these weapons become completely obsolete.

Same applies for armor and some misc items. I have made a quick research (thx for xyphos.com) of the items:

around 10,800 weapon entries in the database
    around 11,000 armor entries

So....

Is there any future plans to reintroduce these old weapons/armors with modified stats? To make them actually useful. Some weapons for gimps (go and play a total gimp, that has just arrived to RK with no friends etc, and you cant find a better weapon in subway other than that you have brought from nub island and that just scratches the mobs). I'd suggest sometime in the future these weapons can be used to add diversity (very different weapon mechanics, with huge tradeoffs that might make people to alter their setups for that weapon believing in a situational advantage). Currently they do not serve any such goal and to be honest they should be just cut out of the game so AO will take up 1,5 gb instead of 2+.
    To the question with BIG text. I don't think we will be adjusting that many old weapons any time soon...but it is likely we will be putting "better" weapons into the hands of lower level players directly to make them playing with "crap" less likely. The ultra amazing stuff will still be there to get.

edit: I forgot to add...removing them isnt really an option either and won't really save us much space.
    If you recall there was an update that updated some RK weapon (the Weapon Upgrade Kit).
    You can't really expect from anyone to update so many, so outdated items, can you ? (Even though it's not technically 10800 different weapons, it's just that each weapon got a different name/bonus at certain QLs, AI/LE weapons got even more entries for "one single weapon")
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

IF they're not going to be upgraded they should simply be removed from the game.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

the descriptions offer too much information about rubika and its history to just remove.

Also, AO is more kind for melee FR00bs - when it comes to weapon choice. Soldier/Agent has definatelly worse weapon choice (dmg wise, thus effiencity) then Enforcer. I.E: TOTW/CoH weaps for melee.

Bump for reviewing some of guns!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

@CritDmg:

I restarted bashing this issue because ive got friends who were scared away from the game because they felt useless because I wasnt playing at that time to buy them uber weapons/armor.

Well armor is not a big issue, carbonum is pretty decent and miy is good and easy to find. although i also hate seeing those armors go to waste.. i mean most froobs that try to put on such armor get swatted in 2 hits. just double their AC (its like 5 lines of code to make that for all non-miy RK armor) and they are already decent

but since we live in an era of damage, weapons need more attention. its also ridiculous that in a totw team the styg enf kills 6 cultists while the rest of the team kill 2 with their gimpy weapons.

lucky for me I started with a pet-class as froob otherwise i would have quit years ago

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    That depends on your skills and your preferences.
    someone who just started out has no skills and no preferences. they usually ask other players what to use as a trader for example: "use pump trainee dude" or modest ones "twink on a higher ql Vektor Lizard" instead they either stick to a POS shotgun and have no fun at all or just leech while other players kill
    i mean, its no challenge to leech. at all. and they are discouraged to make themselves useful because they can not find any weapon that is at least half-decent

in fact, while leveling a toon i didnt equip any weapons at all, just leeched until i got access to a decent one and thats still a nice way to go, others dont equip anything until they get to inf...

try to think with a newb's head: the newb just left noob island and the first thing that comes to mind "OMG I'M LOST, WHAT TO DO, WHERE CAN I FIND GOOD EQUIP?!??!!" well this is a bit of an exaggeration but its something similar. then the next thing the newb sees are the shops.
    "yay there are weapons and armor there, but they are soo expensive [LAFF...]". the newb will probably spend the hard-earned few thousand creds for a weapon that is even worse than the noob island one.
    When u did get into the game, havent you felt these? im sure most of you did who started on rubika alone.
    Last edited by Aramsunat; Oct 11th, 2010 at 23:13:26.

Devil Inside

It's really common to see someone asking on OOC which gun to buy for a level XX prof X. And it's even harder to answer. "Don't buy anything, they're worse than what you have from noob island". Lol?

Or then, tell them to upgrade, or get a Div 9 (which they can't find or afford) and there you go.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Apart from Div9, for soldier there is not reall good weap. Suppressor has v hight FA req, aswell as other buyable weapons - so ql LVL for player is to weak, to deal regular dmg and way to slow speciall recharge, to make it decent.

You need to remember, that those weaps were desigent with bare AO (w/o addons), and TM missions or encounters or outdor XP was a challange to full team - and now on RK not much is happening, so players most times end solo things or /afk while somone kites borgs.

Add to that not much support (comparing to old times at RK) and players are cluless about game mechanics/equippemnt (inc. weapon) and, when they fell useless/weak, they jsut leave this game. My self, being experienced player in some fields, I find it hard to get lvls in regular way (outcluding /kite buy or /pwr lvling by twinks), and imagine somone who just got himself into AO and he finds that newb weaps are better then those that arent cheap in stores!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast