Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sitting in duels

Sitting in duels

While rebalancing the game itself, I think it is time to take a look at the defensive mechanics of fighting in a duel. Sitting in any duel outside of Anarchy Online is incomprehensible. It also takes out the immersion factor of a real duel. My recommendation is sitting anywhere should automatically give you a huge defensive debuff, while being able to keep the altered heal delta in tact primarily benefiting those out of a fight. Sitting in a duel may seem cool and unique to some, but it is nonsensical approach to combat, argue for shields, argue for higher aao when standing. Sitting needs to be taken out of the equation.

Disagree personally.

While the animation of "sitting" may seem unorthodox, the trade off doing zero damage and unable to cast any nanos while sitting for an increased heal delta (and increased nanodelta, though many are unaware of this. The nanodelta ticks dont get faster, but the amount still increases per tick) is still a fair enough trade off to me.

Like i've said to you and ocene and the rest, if the action of "sitting" makes you upset, then change sitting for something that does a similar effect. An in-battle meditation. You stop damage to recover at a faster rate as part of a defensive stance.

It'd do the exact same thing as sitting does now, but it'll appear different and hopefully stop the whines.
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

In one game i played (forgot which one) you would get hit harder or crit more while sitting down and even harder in prone position.

I think it was star wars galaxies.

Agreed and /signed

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Disagree personally.

While the animation of "sitting" may seem unorthodox, the trade off doing zero damage and unable to cast any nanos while sitting for an increased heal delta (and increased nanodelta, though many are unaware of this. The nanodelta ticks dont get faster, but the amount still increases per tick) is still a fair enough trade off to me.

Like i've said to you and ocene and the rest, if the action of "sitting" makes you upset, then change sitting for something that does a similar effect. An in-battle meditation. You stop damage to recover at a faster rate as part of a defensive stance.

It'd do the exact same thing as sitting does now, but it'll appear different and hopefully stop the whines.
    I can certainly appreciate the people who know how to use it effectively. However the very act of sitting in itself is an obvious nod that the bonus's from doing so were not meant for combat. A fun duel in my opinion comes from two people attacking each other as much as possible whether using offensive or defensive tactics to do so. Personally speaking, the action of sitting does not make me upset, just kind of disappointed. With regards to a defensive action, I don't think sitting was meant to qualify when fighting anything, I think it is simply a exploited unfixed mechanic. If such an ability exist, all should be able to do it, and with equal frequency, not just benefiting breeds with higher body dev/stam.

i think, people doing duels with a box on their head while wearing a tutu is way more off than sitting...
    i am 100% sure u are upset about effect sitting has and not the "look and feel"
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

If your opponent sits, just sit too and use treatment kits, Do not be upset, just be quick and use the break from beeing attacked to your advantage! Or Rootgraft sitting people so they cant get up. there is always two sides to tactics. But please stop complaining about every little thing that makes pvp to what it is nowadays.

There is so much going to happen due to constantly complaining people already...

I do see your point of sitting during a duel beeing "unusual" but just think of it as something else, lacking a proper animation..
    RK1

220/30 Soldier, 220/22 Shade, 170/24 Agent, 150/14 NT, 150/14 Adv, 150/19 Keeper, 150/20 Crat, 165/21 Fixer, 150/20 MA, 150/18 Doc, 100/10 MP, 150/11 Trader
    60/06 Enfo, 60/06 Engi, 60/06 Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Nevo-RK3 View Post
    If your opponent sits, just sit too and use treatment kits, Do not be upset, just be quick and use the break from beeing attacked to your advantage!
    Except it's used to wait out timed defenses such as AMS and CiB for quick killing.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Sitting in duels sucks. Particularly for soldiers, enfos, fixers and those high HD profs.

HD should not be doubled while sitting when in combat. Actually evades and AAD should be halved.

There's no skill in winning a duel by sitting the longest...zero skill. It's actually pathetic.

My 2 cents of a cred.
    Last edited by Ocene; Nov 21st, 2010 at 17:18:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    HD should not be doubled while sitting when in combat. Actually evades and AAD should be halved.
    I dont see the problem with HD increasing when sitting down, but there should be some massive downside as you say.

I wouldnt say halve the evades and AAD, but set them to 0 instead.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    I dont see the problem with HD increasing when sitting down, but there should be some massive downside as you say.

I wouldnt say halve the evades and AAD, but set them to 0 instead.
    I agree, basically and in other words, if you put your teeth at the level of my boots as you sit on me, they should be flying away as I kick them.

In anyway, people should get away when doing that.

When dueling a sol, i see no other means to winning unless its a gimp sol, i sure as hell wont attack him and his dmg shield, could always equipt spear for slow recharge/attack but so much work :S semms to me that no1 ever mentioned lowering dmg shields to make attacking the target more viable.
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

How about a compromise?

1) There should be an alternative ability to sitting that boosts heal delta and nano delta. Perhaps, call it Meditation.

2) Sitting should no longer boost heal delta.

3) Meditation should have a short recharge time, upwards of 10 seconds in duration.

4) Meditation should be canceled immediately and put in recharge if the user queues an offensive perk, item or special attack of any kind. Offensive in this case is defined as an ability which damages, roots, blinds, fears or debuffs the target.

5) Meditation should have a slightly higher effect on heal delta and nano delta than sitting currently does. I would leave such numbers to developers.
    Raise your hand \o if you want to pay lots of attention to Veebz!

It is rebalance time clearly, if your profession is not working for you standing up, that is what you should campaign for. I personally don't think new players alike who fight with pvp should have to learn that sitting can mean the difference between victory and loss inside a duel.

People only sit when there's no point to attack (read: AMS uptime).
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    People only sit when there's no point to attack (read: AMS uptime).
    As that is going to be solved with 80% capped reflects and 40 secs AMS, sitting should be fixed too.
    Last edited by Ocene; Nov 21st, 2010 at 21:13:04.

Increased Healdelta and Nanodelta when sitting is ok, but like someone said, your evades should be set to zero, because it is illogical. It is impossible to dodge bullets are evade something while sitting!

If evades where gone while sitting, nobody would sit in combat anymore, problem solved.
    Sitting was intended for a faster recovery after a fight!
    RK1
    Wildbret 220/30/70 Soldier Equip || Fechs 220/30/70 Enforcer Equip
    Graphit 220/30/70 Engineer Equip || Lanthan 220/30/70 Keeper Equip
    Valaris 220/30/62 Agent Equip || Arelia 220/30/63 Doctor Equip
    Wildberry 220/30/70 Shade Equip || Netima 220/30/70 Nano-Technician Equip
    Duktil 220/30/70 Bureaucrat Equip || Naitiri 220/30/70 Martial Artist Equip
    Zanid 220/30/70 Fixer Equip || Netifa 220/30/70 Nano-Technician Equip
    Widia 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist || Zernid 220/30/59 Trader
    RK2
    Netima 220/30/70 Adventurer Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    As that is going to be solved with 80% capped reflects and 40 secs AMS, sitting should be fixed too.
    It will be. You, as a soldier, will be able to use root graft on people that use this tactic.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    It will be. You, as a soldier, will be able to use root graft on people that use this tactic.
    If standing already yes, if sitting already no. You can begin attacking once more once you wait out your opponents defensive capabilities. With graft charges as long as they are, 12+ minutes to recharge including the chance the graft fails to a high nr character is not acceptable, thus enabling sitting as a tactic.

And if I knew any better I would think you would have anticipated this giving MP's with high NR. ;P
    Last edited by Vurtuoso; Nov 21st, 2010 at 22:18:18.

NR doesn't affect root grafts landing rate.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    NR doesn't affect root grafts landing rate.
    O I see, I have been corrected on this, however professions with innate root resistance have a better chance at resisting it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast