Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sitting in duels

Quote Originally Posted by Vurtuoso View Post
    They can stand immediately on attack.
    Note when you use attack to stand like that, the game lets you attack and counts you as still sitting for the purpose of using battle prepaired kits and virus scanners.
    No idea if heal delta counts you as sitting or not.

In short, rooting them sitting is a terrible idea.
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

if someone sits, use funcom's new, not broken, 60% hp heal. that'll teach them
    Hellrule 220/30/70 - Your future Crat Dictator
    Secretly Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Sitting in duels sucks. Particularly for soldiers, enfos, fixers and those high HD profs.

HD should not be doubled while sitting when in combat. Actually evades and AAD should be halved.

There's no skill in winning a duel by sitting the longest...zero skill. It's actually pathetic.

My 2 cents of a cred.
    /signed
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Seems like just setting AAD and duck/dodge/evade to 0 when sitting would make perfect sense and 100% solve any conceivable gripe about this mechanic.

Only problem then would be battle prepared treatment kits. Sitting requires you to stop attacking, so as it is they give more healing than stims with the requirement that you also stop fighting briefly to use them.

Setting all defenses to 0 when sitting would make the battle prepared kits useless for contact fights, since you would certainly take more damage than you could heal by sitting long enough to use them. Their only remaining purpose would then be healing when you have aggro but aren't taking actual damage (i.e. when you managed to kite far enough away or duck out of sight long enough to sit briefly without being hit).

Quote Originally Posted by blingoutyourdead View Post
    Seems like just setting AAD and duck/dodge/evade to 0 when sitting would make perfect sense and 100% solve any conceivable gripe about this mechanic.

Only problem then would be battle prepared treatment kits. Sitting requires you to stop attacking, so as it is they give more healing than stims with the requirement that you also stop fighting briefly to use them.

Setting all defenses to 0 when sitting would make the battle prepared kits useless for contact fights, since you would certainly take more damage than you could heal by sitting long enough to use them. Their only remaining purpose would then be healing when you have aggro but aren't taking actual damage (i.e. when you managed to kite far enough away or duck out of sight long enough to sit briefly without being hit).
    or take out battle kits completely when you change sitting, no harm no foul

tbh heal delta should not be determined by sitting/standing but combat status. if you're fighting you should regen slow. if you sit to let yourself regenerate faster you had damn well better be a zen-martial artist.

Yeah if evades/AAD is set to zero while sitting, reflects, absorbs, DtN, blockers should all be set to zero, all HoTs and HP buffs cancelled and all perk heals should heal for 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Yeah if evades/AAD is set to zero while sitting, reflects, absorbs, DtN, blockers should all be set to zero, all HoTs and HP buffs cancelled and all perk heals should heal for 0.

This man has a bit of a point, although any of those professions with their evades set to 0 would just get chain crit and their defenses would quickly fall apart.

I don't think the proper solution is evades set to 0 though. Simply change HD mechanic to check in combat or out of combat, that's really the best solution. This makes Battle Prepared Kits still useful, but negates the effect of sitting for extra HD.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

I can certainly appreciate the people who know how to use it effectively. However the very act of sitting in itself is an obvious nod that the bonus's from doing so were not meant for combat. A fun duel in my opinion comes from two people attacking each other as much as possible whether using offensive or defensive tactics to do so. Personally speaking, the action of sitting does not make me upset, just kind of disappointed. With regards to a defensive action, I don't think sitting was meant to qualify when fighting anything, I think it is simply a exploited unfixed mechanic.
    Without commenting on "should," battle-prepared nano- and health rechargers set a precedent that sitting to heal is a concept from the game, rather than a mechanic abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Esproc View Post
    I personally think 2 people staring at each other and occasionally getting up to fart at each other is not fighting.
    Generally 2 people don't sit and stare at each other. One uses sitting as a defensive tactic while the other tries to kill him in the limited time.

On another note, a dual-wield ranged proff with specials can take pretty decent damage off an sold/enf's shields and reflects, so you can't blame them for not attacking in some situations.

Setting HD very high when sitting AND NOT in combat, while keeping it the same as standing for sitting AND in combat makes sense though.

They should just remove Battle Prepared Treat Kits and make all treat kits usable in combat but healing / nano effect reduced by 30-40% while in combat.

Less inv / skill bar / database ID space occupied, everybody happy. Except all those who always complain about "the game will be too easy" O_o
    I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sromp View Post
    Without commenting on "should," battle-prepared nano- and health rechargers set a precedent that sitting to heal is a concept from the game, rather than a mechanic abuse.
    I understand what your getting at, however, sitting was employed as a unique mechanic to deliver a quick burst of life and I am pretty certain Funcom never intended a duelist to sit on the ground longer then a few seconds. However when players soon realized that they could stack active heals they could out heal other players as well as monster mobs the cat was out of the bag. It would nice to have an opinion from a FC rep about this questionable mechanic, if it is considered official canon,lore, and or method. On a personal note, I would like to see the Kits from RK have the sit requirement removed, and keep sl kits as intended, as you are channeling the energy in the form of a hot.
    Last edited by Vurtuoso; Nov 28th, 2010 at 05:59:17.

... maybe the battle prepared kits require sitting cuz it's a suppository?
    I dunno if sitting on your thumb is what's increasing your natural healing though...

Or just make HD check In Combat or Out Of Combat regardless if you are sitting or not.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    Or just make HD check In Combat or Out Of Combat regardless if you are sitting or not.
    I think that works big time, it would go along way to streamlining the game, people would be forced to attack each other, cause there would be no benefits of dropping attack. I would also like to add you would no longer have to sit on the ground like a dog trying to wipe its butt every couple of seconds to buff, doing that in itself is an immersion breaker.

Kudos
    Last edited by Vurtuoso; Nov 28th, 2010 at 10:53:10.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH"

Christ, summer players constantly whinging about silly things that don't give THEM the best quick kill experience ever.

Sitting in duels or pvp in general is a VIABLE TACTIC. If you don't have the damage to kill that player when they are in AMS/CiB/other defense, you should sit yourself to not only lessen self damage from shield, but gain HD/ND/wipe debuffs.

As it is, AO is one of the few games with the ability to kill anyone inside of 3 seconds, if you can't compete, reroll.

Heck, I'll even agree with you! Let's remove HD/ND from the game completely, but then, also remove coon, CiB, CH, UBT, fullauto, AS, SA, evades in general, and AMS/TMS...It's balance!.....

Some professions have HD BUILT IN to their setup, translation:The game is designed for you to take a time out letting your enemies attacks or defenses cycle while you heal.

PRO:Faster hp/np regen.

CON:Still taking damage from the nab with the terrible DD, he's also landed debuffs on you now, and rooted you, and called friends, and his alpha is back.

EVOLVE OR DIEwhinging only makes you look stupid

The only other thing my suggestion needs is a few second delay before out-of-combat HD kicks in. This way if you sit down to use a Battle-Prepared Kit, your opponent doesn't get mega HD ticks.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Quote Originally Posted by SultryVoltron View Post
    The only other thing my suggestion needs is a few second delay before out-of-combat HD kicks in. This way if you sit down to use a Battle-Prepared Kit, your opponent doesn't get mega HD ticks.
    Good call.

With regards to a defensive action, I don't think sitting was meant to qualify when fighting anything, I think it is simply a exploited unfixed mechanic.
    I use this same technique when in between raids and other mobs. I know this is about pvp, but this affects pvm as well.

Keep heal delta - Set AAD to 0 or negative 2K or something.

Allows for PVM heal delta when not fighting and keeps the maneuver of sitting in a fight as a defense a terrible option.

Sitting is not a combat tactic, its an abuse of a mechanic as heal deltas have grown outrageously high in recent years.
    Last edited by fortorn; Dec 5th, 2010 at 13:35:25. Reason: continuity
    "Can I have some shoes?"

I only sit in duels vs. sols, because dmg shields are too high imo. No use pounding regular hits into a dmg shield, i see no benefit from that. Wont do even the slightest dmg to a sol and its just pointless, although standing still and not attacking is also an option if there were to be some negative effects of sitting in combat.
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

Most other games make you stand up upon combat being initiated, whether you initiated it or the mob/player did. That's what the proper mechanic should be in AO, and, yes, battle prepped kits should not have a sitting requirement if they make that change.

"Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff."
    Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast