Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timeline of PVP in AO

Timeline of PVP in AO

This won't be a real long post, but, I'd just like to point out some changes that have occurred in PVP in the last couple years.

Pre-LE Evades were king in PVP. This is undeniable, everyone opted for evades, and evades were king. Evades in PVP meant you could withstand more attacks, last longer, and zerg the longest, withstand the most punishment, while still retaining some HP at the end of a battle to continue zerging/warping/killing towers.

Post-LE
    AR was king. Somehow, with research adding more AR than evades, and several items (ahem, ofab) adding significant amounts of AR, AR became the new evades. AR was king post LE. AR meant you could land your FA and burst, and everyone and their dog rolled a soldier (note, also Dshark landed ingame at this time too). Post-LE, evade professions went downhill, steeply. Some evade profs got a few tricks to use, but nothing substantial. (noteably, MA's got an evade buff that stacked with RI, Advies got a lot more static evades (mother wolf, improved stare, procs that fire), crats got some mean OFAB to seriously add to their evade ratings. Evade profs were made very evade-y, non-evade profs became much less-so. MP's were a mixed bag, with an option of a shield or a high powered weapon, Enforcers were given items that confused many people, and fixers didn't need anything.

Pre-Xan - In this late stage where people had attained proficiency with mixed ofab/combined armour, high AR setups, and play-to-kill setups, the game was not doing too badly. There were no significantly OP'd profs, and most profs had a few setups that worked quite well.

Post-xan - The xan booster pack introduced a new aspect to PVP: Aimed shot spam from 3/4 of the AO population. (count it: Agents had it, traders and MP's had it, MA's had it sometimes, fixer's had it, and add Advies, crats, docs, engies and soldiers = 10/14 profs) AS spam (real spam), meant that even worse than in the Pre-xan playability, evade profs are becoming obsolete. Moderate evade profs (advies, MA's, traders, keepers, shades) are in a much worse position, except that, Advies still have excellent heals AND excellent evades AND great HP rating. Meaning, keepers, Shades, and MA's are getting spammed with much more damage than they have EVER been subjected to in any patch previously. MA's, on top of that have lost Form of Risan stacking with RI (meaning, not only are we taking more damage from specials, but, apparently we're supposed to be taking more damage from non-100% to hit specials/perks/normals).

The trend here is clear: AO has moved away from evades (defensive), towards AR (offensive) and almost completely towards capping 100% to hit specials (super-offensive).

In most people's opinions, AS is too widespread. TOO MANY PROFS ARE USING IT EFFECTIVELY. 10/14 profs is far far far too many. AO should not, and should never have been Aimed shot Online. It was clear though, with the addition of the Aimed shot pistol, that this was the objective.

An equalizer? Sure, but, it equalized only those profs who could use it. The rest of the profs, namely keeper, MA, shade, melee advy, and enforcer were left out in the cold (improper attention paid to enforcer perk systems has allowed enforcers to play super-offensively and they too can compete). So, ultimately, MA, keeper and shade have been fully deprived of mass PVP compatibility in the last 2 major patches.

You have AS in your name.

x2

Even though I agree AS should be fixed, I still laugh at you making 5 threads about it every week.
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

Its really 14/14 that use AS in pvp.... spear MR shades ftw 2h enfos doing it too
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

NT's have a 75s swap to use tho. :/

I got a nt that uses failhander and light-missle... DD is op when crits show + nukes...
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

The debate still goes? Over the top symbiants and AI-armors (namely combined) are reasons for pvp going cookie cutter. And LE looked more like a playground for fresh ideas, damage had been already done. The game is allright with current AS-system, but the availability should be strickly restricted. And what difference does it make in the end if professions get something to compensate AS? Hooray.
    Taranide 220/30 fixer RK2 and now also RK1! Wait a second...
    Might have other characters too but I'm not so sure, always leave them camping something and there they are for few months.

Good to see some people haven't changed much... There's something comforting about returning after a period of absence and seeing things are still the same <3

i think you should ask some MAs who know how to pvp and than plz stop whining...

I'm surprised this thread didn't start with:

Pre-AS Pistol: AWESOME

Post-AS Pistol: Fail
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I'm surprised this thread didn't start with:

Pre-AS Pistol: AWESOME

Post-AS Pistol: Fail
    But you knew it was going to end that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

He makes some valid points in the progression of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Advies, crats, docs, engies and soldiers
    Don't be silly, these profs have always used AS in PvP, and it's damage was higher before troa'ler pistol made it ingame..

AS pistol only allowed advs/crats/docs/engies to utilize their supported/intended weapon, instead of shotguns and bows, while also compensating for the lost AS damage with perks: compare Ofab Tiger Mk 6 and Troa'Ler Pistol, it's 2xbetter AS for the bow.

Basically, AS pistol = not being forced to suck in PvM if you want to PvP as a 'support' prof.
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Indeed. And if he didn't always bring it back around to AS, then it might get more notice than ridicule. The fact is that they will be changing the mechanics on AS in some way having nothing to do with his personal crusade against it. But that change will not be made before they get done with the professions. So much like the crusage against Defeat Righteousness which also had valid points, by his bringing every thread he starts/comments in back to the evils of AS, he ends up getting any good points he might have made ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

i thought ma's did as/sa swaps with spear/bow? kippers do supernova swaps, enfos have sa if they go 1he/1hb, shades use sa which is close enough. therefore 14/14 professions have a capping special with no def check of which 12 use as

Here is fuel for the fire.

At release when attack range was not limited to 40 meters and it was possible to see and attack targets at 120 meters AS was god. Nothing like memories of entering a 25% gas zone and being AS hit for 10k damage and being dead. Yeah I am talking MMD fights before the PVP damage nerfing started.

So if you are going to talk about AS being a PVP problem then start at the beginning please.

On the other side of this. I don't use AS on any toon. Personal choice. I would love to see AS restricted to agents only. As well as a few other attacks getting profession locked. I think wanting to use AS a 100% capping no evadable hit should have strict restrictions as in "class you play" type restriction.

But truth is PVP has been broke from release. Accept it will never be perfect and move forward.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Yeah it's a nice story for sure, but I'm not so sure that rehashing anecdotes accomplishes much. That's his version of events, likely very close to many others as well. The fact is that FC has proposed some changes to AS and other stuff that would change some things emphasized in his version of history, so I don't really get the point.

In short, check my sig
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

AS pistol is/was the best thing that could happen to this game.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

anyone else noticed that he missed fixers most of the time?

fixers are halfway damage and halfway evades, they are pretty well off no matter what happens so long as no fixer-specific nerfs come their way... such as in the past... Q_Q

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast