Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nerf AO

Question Nerf AO

Maybe, as part of the rebalance, the Devs can:

- re-introduce AC holes
    - lower the min damage on every Kyr'ozch+perennium wep+Xan+Ofab weap to 50 for 1 hand, 100 for 2 hand.

- half every add dmg modifier in game
    - half every AAD modifier in game
    - half every AAO modifier in game
    - increase the req's for recharge on all specials/weaps
    - increase the offensive nanos mobs have access to

This would make AO have some room to grow again. And, people might fuss a bit over armour.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Ill bump this.
    Separate the wheat from the chaff.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

AS req on weapons are quite low in my opinion, should be as high as the req for Full Auto.
    Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
    And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

While I understand you want these changes for PvP, it would make doing Pande take about 8 hours with a full raid force.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    While I understand you want these changes for PvP, it would make doing Pande take about 8 hours with a full raid force.
    On that token I'd like to say what I have said a million times before, please lower the AC of SL mobs. Having such high AC only does one thing which is extremely narrowing the choice of weapons we have to use there. If the OP's changes were to actually go through then a lowering of mobs HP along with this lowering of AC would be a good thing as well.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

I for one absolutely love the power the charracters can get in AO

What could be fun tho was that more pvm had similar damage caps/mechanics as pvp. Then things could be boosted and combat would be way more strategical/tactical.
    Last edited by Lletah; Feb 3rd, 2011 at 06:07:12.

This is a good idea indeed. And I hope that it will be a part of rebalance to overlook armor/weapons/items as well.

@ berinda

Pande used to be a challenge. I think we can all agree that making every mob have 150k more HP is not the solution.

Most of us, I assume, are so bored sick of pande that the only time we really only think about getting a BOC is if theres a "WTS BOC LR" on neutnet... that, or, "WTS Beast clear PF" otherwise... it's just some chore.

I dont' really know why that is, except I assume it has somethign to do with it just being a grind, instead of a social gathering. I'm not sure, if pande becomes a LOT harder (through changes to weaps/ AC's, or other mob changes) that it wouldn't be a bit more fun, and it wouldn't just be a team of Crat+enf+sold+doc+2 shades :/ farming 24/7

I'm not saying you're wrong... I'm just saying it's no fun anymore, and, for me at least, it stopped being fun when it got instanced.

If it's damn hard, and it's not instanced, and it take 30+ well equipped peeps focussed on the raid... I'll go out on a limb here, and say it might be fun again.

I was wondering the other day if anything is going to be done regarding the 1hb/1he issue, that allows enfs to uhm ahem...

..yea..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    On that token I'd like to say what I have said a million times before, please lower the AC of SL mobs. Having such high AC only does one thing which is extremely narrowing the choice of weapons we have to use there. If the OP's changes were to actually go through then a lowering of mobs HP along with this lowering of AC would be a good thing as well.
    Couldnt agree more, SL ruined the whole concept of different AC's and changed people from having different damage types for different mobs to just having the biggest min damage possible. A whole layer of complexity was done away with for (as i see it) no good reason...
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

I'm just saying it's no fun anymore
    I never said it was fun currently. I was just pointing out that these changes aimed at making profs you don't play underpowered in PvP would be unbearable in PvM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

@ berinda

Pande used to be a challenge. I think we can all agree that making every mob have 150k more HP is not the solution.

Most of us, I assume, are so bored sick of pande that the only time we really only think about getting a BOC is if theres a "WTS BOC LR" on neutnet... that, or, "WTS Beast clear PF" otherwise... it's just some chore.

I dont' really know why that is, except I assume it has somethign to do with it just being a grind, instead of a social gathering. I'm not sure, if pande becomes a LOT harder (through changes to weaps/ AC's, or other mob changes) that it wouldn't be a bit more fun, and it wouldn't just be a team of Crat+enf+sold+doc+2 shades :/ farming 24/7

I'm not saying you're wrong... I'm just saying it's no fun anymore, and, for me at least, it stopped being fun when it got instanced.

If it's damn hard, and it's not instanced, and it take 30+ well equipped peeps focussed on the raid... I'll go out on a limb here, and say it might be fun again.
    You mean like s42 is? Cause that runs alot...

Edit: then agian, when it does run it is fun (until entire raid gets nuked for 4x10k)
    Last edited by Conq; Feb 3rd, 2011 at 21:34:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Conq View Post
    You mean like s42 is? Cause that runs alot...
    On RK1 maybe.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

The alliance on RK 2 have been running S42 raids every second weekend for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    I never said it was fun currently. I was just pointing out that these changes aimed at making profs you don't play underpowered in PvP would be unbearable in PvM.
    Notice that I said in the OP that this would allow more room for AO to grow.

I haven't thought this through 100%, but, I'll outline my train of thought, because, I think it makes sense. (I agree that it could make some profs tougher to play, but, thats fine, because, generally most profs have nicely diversified toolsets and could use some higher levels of difficulty).

No AC Holes Broke AO.
    Reasoning: it forced everyone to adopt high min damage weapons regardless of attack time/ recharge
    Result: made everyone use EQB, FBR, everyone fought at full agg, enfo's ruled with rage, and inits were king.
    Secondary Result: Every subsequent weapon introduced to game had very high min damage, AND to stop these weapons from being immediately and irrevokably vverpowered, a very small damage range.

Now, the problem here isn't all that obvious, but, follow me for a second:

PVMYou've got a bunch of weaps with high min damage, and small range: Now, every hit is boring, it's the same result a thousand times in a row. So, now, the game has taken it's first step towards boring... right? No longer can you hit a big (non-crit) hit. No longer, can you use game/mob knowledge to amplify your damage by switching dmg type. In fact, because your weap does decent (boring) damage EVERY HIT, you just need to Q/afk.

Previously, you might be standing there shooting at a mob, doign 10dmg each hit, while he wails on you, and you realize, all of a sudden, that you're going to lose 34 million XP (and there wasn't a pool back then), so, it's tiem to use your toolset and GTFO of there, and you'll need to use a different tactic if you want to beat this mob next time. (fun, right? not just q/afk, come back after 14 minutes with a full tummy.)

PVP Now, in PVP, it's the same problem, only vastly amplified. Ok, so, all those people that spent so much time collecting all these different armour sets, because they wanted to be able to swap armours for specific AC's if necessary, all become completely useless. Everyone saw Thars (lol) and then Tier, and it was like ding ding ding, got to get that armour! NO AC HOLES! I can wtf pwn froobs now no problem. Right? But, that's only the beginning... because, 8 years down the road, the problem is so ingrained that we don't even see it as a problem anymore... and what is that problem? I'll tell you:

The problem, in PVP is that AC's don't mean squat. Why? Because damage range on weaps is so small that it no longer matters.

The ENTIRE basis for combat in 2001 was based on three factors: 1. % of landed hits. 2. damage range 3. AC's. For much of AO's life, unfortunately, we've been playing with only 1 of those mattering. Now, (forgive me for i have to bring up AS and specials) the third factor matters even less than it did.

Consider: Perks don't check AC's, Min damage doesn't check AC's, SA, AS, dimach, don't check Evades, MR doesn't (pseudo) check evades, so, out of the three original combat checks, we are only using 1 of them, and, we're only using that 1 about 30-50% of the time. (really, most damage in PVP is done by MR ganks, SA and AS)

So, all I'm saying, is that with AC holes, and damage ranges on weaps would mean something again, AND, profs that had the capacity to change damage types on the fly and drain AC's (traders) would be very useful in PVM. AC holes on mobs, and dropping the AC's on some mobs in general would enhance the game greatly because the original random and planned elements of combat would once again be applicable.

Where combat is failing HARD in AO these days (wwwwwwwwwwwwwwowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwowwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwowwwwwwwww), it could be returned to a thoughtful process involving skill, knowledge and not JUST a fast internet, runspeed and 11 second AS.

- re-introduce AC holes
    - lower the min damage on every Kyr'ozch+perennium wep+Xan+Ofab weap to 50 for 1 hand, 100 for 2 hand.

This would make AO have some room to grow again. And, people might fuss a bit over armour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    Couldnt agree more, SL ruined the whole concept of different AC's and changed people from having different damage types for different mobs to just having the biggest min damage possible. A whole layer of complexity was done away with for (as i see it) no good reason...
    The three quoted posts got my seal of approval for sure....
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

- re-introduce AC holes

Honestly, best post you've ever made.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

I really want show my support for AC holes. It is a bit annoying to have so much strategy taken out of picking equipment because some armors add everything.

I have to agree, the AC holes should be reintroduced, halving every AAD modifier ingame I can't agree on, having a fixer main and all. I already get perked enough as it is by high AR professions using MR and post balance every nano caster will most likely be able perk us as well.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    I have to agree, the AC holes should be reintroduced, halving every AAD modifier ingame I can't agree on, having a fixer main and all. I already get perked enough as it is by high AR professions using MR and post balance every nano caster will most likely be able perk us as well.
    Did you read the part where he said nerf the AAO modifiers as well? Also, for good measure, alien armor should be removed from the game.

Also MR should be removed.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast