Thread: Re-balance...

Re-balance...

Will they fix nano resist aswell?

one thing i don't see mentioned much is that there are some offensive nano's that are partly based on "level" and not just on nanoskills. how that impacts nano resist effectiveness im not sure, but it definitely does play a part. not to mention the % above/below targets nano resist on many nanos. weapons/fists/guns do not have this same dynamic, and therefore evades, dodge and duck are more predictable.

is nr broken? i dont think it is from my own experience, but it certainly has holes that don't make sense at times. it seems to have similar mechanics to lock picking, where not having enough b&e is overcoming by spamming a lockpick on a door/container etc... until it opens, except that with nano resist there is no limit to how low the casters skills are to still get a lucky hit. I wouldn't call that broken though...
    Last edited by Worldofalts; Mar 21st, 2011 at 22:16:54.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

How would you fix something that's not broken?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Rebalance?

Looking at the upcoming changes it appears that most classes will be nerfed badly. I really hope FC devs will really take a good long look at this before this happens. I know FC is looking at the future of their new games instead of our loved AO but I think AO should grow not end in a ball of flame. Why not look into adding levels with new content?

Not everyone loves PVP as it appears most changes are to rebalance this. I'ld hate to have a class that can't solo if no groups are available or a class that isn't wanted because of being nerfed so badly.

Changes for the good would be welcome but removing and making toons useless is a defeating purpose.

Devs make the game better, add content, raise level instead of leaving end game. Don't kill our classes.

Huggles and I hope AO will go on for many years yet to come.

Kat

IMO no more levels just more content and more alternatives.
    Don't need more powerful stuff just more stuff to play with :/

Been doing dust brigade and xan pf's lately and been liking them.
    Although auto facing makes watching spirits in Mitaar a pain.
    So I have to stop attacking and watch them xD
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

Sadly, Kattreena, Funcom has a limited capacity to listen as it is and the PvP community has already flooded them to the hilt with whines, requirements, ultimatums and such that Funcom is irrevocably focused on making the game "better" for PvPers and everyone else can just go screw themselves.

The sad thing about the rebalance is that it won't make the whiners go away, it's not removing imbalance it's just changing where it occurs. There will always be people complaining that, because they died or failed to kill, that their profession is gimp or the opposing profession is OP.

This will be the case until humans are extinct.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

pvp = player originated entertaining content, PVM = funcom originated "entertaining" content. As a business which is cheaper.

If they are successful in the re balance more people will pvp. The problem now is the 2 second wtfpwned kills. It keeps people with out significantly more time than humanly imaginable from participating in a fun, viable way.

If sussecful i feel battle stations will become full, there is no death penalty there, which in my opinion the reason rk pvp sucks as badly as it does is due to the death penalty, travel and rebuff time. Definately way too much effort to be wtfpwned now adays.

more closely balanced classes combined with short travel distance, and no death penalty is every reason to try and begin to pvp if you have not ever. It is fun, addicting, and a ood change of pace from pvm.
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Well if they add "long" recharge to the CC abilities then getting several resists in a row could break pvp.

One alternative that's been discussed before would be to give all debuffs a 100% hit chance with reduced effect / duration from NR.
    I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Deskclerk View Post
    pvp = player originated entertaining content, PVM = funcom originated "entertaining" content. As a business which is cheaper.
    Maybe in AO pvp content is cheaper, but if I look at any other mmo with pvp included, I think it's the opposite. The constant balancing, revamping classes, changing everything just in the name of pvp must cost much much more than designing a new dungeon every few months. And any such change can make all pve invalid = devs have to update mobs/dungeons/etc. IMHO catering to pvp whiners is just bad business plan.
    RK1: Amickson 220/30 ENG - equip, Aztea 220/30 MA - equip, Adirae 220/30 ENF

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post

It will be broken if the Re-Balance changes all profession nanoprograms and perks without adjusting NR checks and profession NR ability. NR (and evades) needs to be adjusted appropriately to the new attack system or else you are wasting time.

Oh, and I didn't miss your point...but you are providing a "technical" answer to a "design" question. And since FC is fixing perk and nanoprogram design issues, it's safe to assume NR is getting fixed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Amickson View Post
    ...And any such change can make all pve invalid = devs have to update mobs/dungeons/etc. IMHO catering to pvp whiners is just bad business plan.
    The PVM side might get interesting. But the problems that would still remain are:

- if PVM gets really interesting, it will mean that you'd need more people at time than now; which is both a good thing since it might promote more teaming and a bad thing with the low population (hopefully the engine and class rebalance would attract more new people than jaded old veterans)

- if PVM rewards mainly stay as they are now, AO will loose new people on medium and slightly longer term; we do have to admit that most of today's MMO players lack patience or have it in a rather short supply. This means that doing the same content for X months to get 1-2 items for a single toon, combined with levels, research, AXP or full set of betas/alphas might turn off a lot of players. This might happen even from middle levels (tl4-5). If the game looks nice and gameplay is fun, they will be willing to give it a chance as long as they don't feel its a second job.

But I digress... NR ain't broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    ...doing the same content for X months to get 1-2 items for a single toon, combined with levels, research, AXP or full set of betas/alphas might turn off a lot of players...
    But I digress... NR ain't broken.
    i played PWO a year ago, for maybe a month, and most of the levelling/rewards were quest-base.
    Damn did that get boring quick. yes, there were rare drops occasionally, but i pretty much ripped out my hair after a few weeks of it.

ao may have its grinds (some endless), but most of the time those grinds come with the social aspect of mmo's. meeting new people, overcoming challenges and getting lucky while at least making some progress. taking away the grind elements that may turn away a lot of players, imo, are the very things that keep a game interesting for a lot longer than it should be. although, I do agree, NR is working just fine.

of course, my whole argument means nothing if an ingame population doesn't exist, or is dwindling.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kattreena View Post
    Not everyone loves PVP as it appears most changes are to rebalance this. I'ld hate to have a class that can't solo if no groups are available or a class that isn't wanted because of being nerfed so badly.
    I think you need to re-look at what they are doing, Kat. The changes may have started out in attempting to address problems with PvP, but they left that far, far behind a long time ago. The current changes they are making are much more focused on making PvM harder. Imo they are trying to address the massive power-creep of the last 10 years in one fell swoop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    I think you need to re-look at what they are doing, Kat. The changes may have started out in attempting to address problems with PvP, but they left that far, far behind a long time ago. The current changes they are making are much more focused on making PvM harder. Imo they are trying to address the massive power-creep of the last 10 years in one fell swoop.
    I approve of this assessment.
    I touched Death in a bad place.

My corporate slavery came with a shiny decoder ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    The current changes they are making are much more focused on making PvM harder.
    I don't really see them making PvM harder, nor easier. I see them trying to improve our capabilities so that those capabilities are more intuitive and less frustrating. While [PvM effort] will remain, different tactics will need to be used.

Also, we'll need a removal of "the easy way out", such as pocketing and kiting. They will have to increase the desire of teaming, because they've been lazy for so many years and allowed players a fast way of skipping content.

If it is done right, this could be an amazing game to play at that time. Unfortunately, FC is not the type of company to surprise its players with an ability to "bring it". We'll see...

[Side note: When I speak of "PvM effort", I am referring to the ability of a player to kill a mob. I am not referring to the availability of methods for participating in PvM content.]