Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why balance is futile

Quote Originally Posted by AyyRawn View Post
    Hush up 2010 :P
    I am new hear how u am maek pistilz for snipe with plz?

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    I hope the recoil dampening is great on it, because I would hate to feel my shoulder after unleashing a Full Auto from one of those.
    Yea the full auto is only used when it's mounted on apv/apc/humvee/gun emplacement etc.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I must say that I find the OP to be quite nonsense. The whole point here being that, while AO WAS a lot of fun 10 years ago when it came out, it also had rival MMO's.

The evolution of MMO's DOES include expansions, and more level content. If you compare AO to what all the other MMO's after has done, AO pretty much started that trend... Mention one long-term successful MMO that has not expanded in levels and content?

I loved Pre-SL. But in fact, Pre-SL was quite dull if you once tried SL. The perks was the single greatest thing that were ever introduced to this game. It added new avenues of "attack" if so to say.
    ****ed up PvP a whole lot! I still remember how much fun it was to test the different perk-lines and combos. The perks having attack time made things really interresting, and actually made you think slightly about what to use first and last etc... Also the matter of some perks having increased effect if another perk was already running. Brilliant system.

AO was, and is a hard grind. But that was also what made AO such a social game.
    I recall doing missions pre-sl and Adonis hecklers post-SL as something extremly social though tiresome at the same time. The org teams we had doing this stuff, it made connections that last through life.

Rebalance and engine looks very promising, in my eyes. Even right now, the worst problem AO faces is population... Todays content if the playerbase was quadroupled would be a lot of fun!
    The expansions in this game, if you ask me were a great addition. Player/org cities, further knitted people together creating social gatherings and strive to work together in defending your city, your planet from an outsider attack! And for gaining alien-technology!
    I'm quite sure almost anyone that played AO for awhile will reminisence, and take a walk down memory lane while reading this.

But I truly belive that if AO had more players today... It would be a lot more enjoyable, the reason I stopped the last 10 or so times was because of lack of things to do... Because world pvp "died"... Basically because there were no reason for it, and not enough people.. I belive this is the case with most things (RK2) anyhow...

Not denying that I belive FC made some mistakes, surely not. I know for a fact that the old pvp-title system is dearly missed by a lot of pvpers. It gave them a reason, and a motivation to pvp. The new titles are just a grind, really... No penalties, no real gains... Either way, I think and hope AO has a chance with the rebalance and new engine.

Rebalancing because AO is an old game, balanced after it's old principles... After numerous expansions rebalance is NEEDED. Just to re-invigorate the game. The engine will make AO look like a modern day game, and thus also help to keep new players in the game.
    I'm hoping that with rebalance and engine together, it can give AO a new stream of players and revive it! And when that happens I'm surely going to revive my subsciptions (5-6 accounts) if not to play, to help out the game I so much love. Even if only for a few months!

MMO's can't really ever be 100% balanced towards every aspect... A MMO game has to pick what kind of balance is preferred, and I think people often forget that.

Not to drag other MMO's into this, but look at WoW for example. Vanilla WoW, had extreme 1v1 inbalance at most stages of the gear/level brackets... But end game 1v1 between two good players, was pretty even...
    In the coming years and expansions in WoW, they added arena where you battle 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5.. Now the game worked well for awhile like this, but Blizzard realized they needed to pick one area to balance it according to that...
    Blizzard and WoW ofc became a competetive E-sports game, and this swayed the priorities of the developers. The whole game swayed towards 3v3 balance. Everything centered around it (PvP wise). That's why you could no longer gain "Gladiator" through 2v2 because this wasn't what Blizzard considered "balanced" enough.

My point here is that Blizzard picked 1 priority, and balanced accordingly. Funcom still haven't made it clear to us what they are balancing towards, but all in all... If you play your profession in AO to it's fullest, it may not be like everyone used to play pre-sl or otherwise in the past... But if you adapt, change and master it AO is actually quite balanced in 1v1 regards... But you have to as I say adapt your profession setup and equip towards it... I think this is what a lot of people refuse to do. And it's why someone instead of looking at how others are actually managing to adapt with their professions, they go online and write posts in forums.
    People like this exists in all games, and it won't change. Games however, do change... Playstyle and common meta-game DOES change. You can't always expect that through expansions and level additions, everything will stay the same. Some professions will remain much alike, some will change slightly, others may completely change to the extent of barley beeing recognizable. This is the case in all MMO games...
    If you look at the playstyle of any class in any MMO, after a couple of expansions it may vary a great deal..
    What can you do? Try to adapt and make the best out of what you got, if you try and you simply don't like what your forced to deal with because of change. Then change profession, if you can't find anything you like. Then you're simply playing a game that doesn't fit your taste (anymore). Change game!

In life, as in games you'll be faced with changes. How you deal with these, will determine who you are. If I see changes, and there's several things that I don't like... I try to look for something that I DO like... I'm trying to think that about ways that it could be implemented and be positive. About the negative changes, if I am scared it can't work. I will convey that in a mature and constructive manner, this will get you alot further. Changes are often good, makes you use your head and adapt to things!

I guess I've been reading a lot of whine-type posts lately, and this is a sort of sum-up of what I think about all of them don't take anything personal!...
    Last edited by Juzzif; Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:37:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Juzzif View Post

I guess I've been reading a lot of whine-type posts lately, and this is a sort of sum-up of what I think about all of them don't take anything personal!...
    I would agree~

I look forward to whatever changes, good and bad because for an old timer like me my dice are already cast and i will play AO till the servers shut down and most likely won't play another MMO every again. So change, any change is like gettin a brand new game and yea the rebalance changes to my 220mp/nt/sol/keep/enf are all going to be drastic I welcome the challenge of it. The rebalance may actually give me something to do with those dusty toons i never play rediscovering how to use them under new rules. Who knows maybe just maybe my MP and NT will be worth a darn in teams again.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    I would agree~

I look forward to whatever changes, good and bad because for an old timer like me my dice are already cast and i will play AO till the servers shut down and most likely won't play another MMO every again. So change, any change is like gettin a brand new game and yea the rebalance changes to my 220mp/nt/sol/keep/enf are all going to be drastic I welcome the challenge of it. The rebalance may actually give me something to do with those dusty toons i never play rediscovering how to use them under new rules. Who knows maybe just maybe my MP and NT will be worth a darn in teams again.
    Gotta agree here too. Change makes it a completely different game, I agree. Even if changes arent perfect, its so much better than remaining stagnant.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

Quote Originally Posted by AyyRawn View Post
    Hush up 2010 :P
    lol

(btw, Sromp, that was a real, irl lol)
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further