Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the game director - Hi guys!

Funcom employee Letter from the game director - Hi guys!

I've had the pleasure of working together with Colin ”Means” Cragg for years now though sometimes it feels longer (; .
    During this time the development team has achieved things that others said was impossible, and we've had great fun while doing it! When I look through the old patch notes I smile and remember all the things that he has pushed us to pursue.

For the past eight years, Rubi-Ka has been there for me. I started on my own as a complete noob, but I was quickly accepted by the community and invited to a generous organization.

One of the first memories I have was a bidding game in the chat channel. I had been out hunting, and coming back to my home town with my backpack full of loot.
    Amongst the things that I had found was a pair of Kelarr sunglasses. I was tempted to keep them as they looked really cool, but I really wanted some credits.

Wts Keelarr Sunglasses pst.

I didn't know what pst meant, but hey – everyone else did it. I got a reply from a guy offering 500 k credits. 500 thousand credits. Wow, I almost fell of my chair. Shortly after I got another reply, 1 m credits. One, million credits! I almost choked. The bidding went on for a little while before I finally sold the glasses to someone that proved to be happy just helping out a noob. By then I was already sold on the game. What a generous community!
    I even remember the name of the guy that bought the glasses. (:

Later on, I was in one of those large organisations that held recurring alien raids in our city. I was still a froob, but I was invited to join the raid as a tour of our city. They invited so many people that we filled up three teams, so instead of waves we had swarms of aliens, coming at us in a constant stream.
    I will never forget shouting BONZAII into the chat, those action filled 45 minutes that followed, and how everyone worked together to save the world!

What I love about AO is the vast world of fun complexity that Rubi-ka has to offer. I still to this very day keep various text documents with character setups, calculations and item wish lists on my computer – and I'm probably not the only one.

There is however a big difference in fun complexity and random confusion, going forward I hope to make Rubi-Ka more accessible to new and returning players.
    Players should be able to begin playing and enjoying all that AO has to offer before they become hopelessly lost.

In January, I will write my first monthly update in which I will begin sharing my plans for 2012. A monthly update , where I can share the team's passion, visions and acomplishments with you!

The the things you – the community are doing for AO is truly inspiring! Every day you remind me of why I love my job.

So it's time for me to be there for Rubi-Ka, and I hope you are as excited as I am about all the things that are coming this next year!

Waldgeist edit: German Translation
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Congratulations Lindelu!

Congrats Lindelu! No more will I be able to mercilessly gank your NPC in Rome as I see her without feeling even more guilty!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

gratz!

what will your thing be called? Month with Lindelu?

Congrats!
    Guapo - Advisor in Unity of The Rose

Lindelu's Lunar Cycle Lowdown
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Welcome to "Means"'s world.

Grats Lindelu!

Kinda sad to have monthly updates only, but well, your flameshield can refresh by then. Guess Means had a much tighter cooldown period

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

Ello new GD!

For that post in January, I got a couple of questions awaiting your contemplation:

NW, BS, PvP

With the recent addition of the new "PvP" daily missions, BS has been left emptier than ever. And FC has allowed AO to become even more of a singleplayer game, the need to interact with other is in a steady decline. More importantly FC has been hesitant in merging BS ranges, or redoing the ranges. This again only serve to stretch an already thin line to the point of breaking. Can we expect to see any serious attention paid to PvP in AO? As in a revamp of NW, new BS maps. I feel that FC is hiding behind a veil, the veil of "rebalance"
    Why is that FC is utterly unable to fix seamingly OP classes, instead of giving us the "rebalance" veil? 1HE/1HB enforcers, doctors with Troa'Ler, ranged advs.. Is it really that hard to add a recharge to a nano, or take a look at stun perks?

PvM, endgame raiding

Is it still the standpoint of FC that having only one real endgame zone is sufficent? Last real endgame experience we had addded was S42. I've gone from having 25-30+ people in my Org online, two weeks ago we were 7, now we are 2-3 18 hours of the day. None wants to raid anymore, and I hope you can guess why we are tired of the zones. Not to mention that with the recent influx of power given to key classes, people just buy what they need. Do FC still think that single-team instances are valid endgame raiding alternatives? because the ones added in LoX are dead.

Darkempire,

Superior forum troll, infraction collector and overeall pain in the ass!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Funcom employee

Welcome Lindelu!

You are awesome
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

hai! i has questions too!

when are the v2 balance docs coming?

when is the troll pistol getting removed?

what will be your first major decision for the game as a GD?

-Lazy,

Slightly-less-superior-troll-than-darkempire

Good luck And very much agree with your once a month update idea. Looking forward to seeing the new direction
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Hooray Lindelu!!!
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Grats and good luck! You've got some big shoes to fill .

Congratulations Lin! And remember: DONT PANIC!

Were uber happy for you!
    "Footlight" Agent
    "Weasel" Fixer
    "Hound" Shade
    "Universe" Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    I will never forget shouting BONZAII into the chat, those action filled 45 minutes that followed, and how everyone worked together to save the world!
    Grtz with the lvl-up and somewhere this sounds familiair...

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Raew View Post
    Grats and good luck! You've got some big shoes to fill .
    's alright, she's got big feet. None of us have anything to worry about

Congratulations and good luck!
    Edta 200 NT, froob , Setup, General of NEPA, Raid Leader of TLfiveplus (Froob Raids)
    Neutral For Life, AO For Ever!
    Please, let Clan and Omni return to Neutral Clan/Omni Resignation forms!

Thanks for taking on this task and giving us dedicated AO players hope for the future!
    Getting old and all I'm pretty sure this will be my last huge time consuming game, there are more than enough of those mindless run-through-in-a-day games
    I'd still play AO even if the engine never came. Lazy game producers these days hides bad stories and gameplay behind lazy good graphics....

Anyway, looking forward to your first update post!
    220/30/70 Martial Artist
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    A Rubi-Ka Story - youtube
    TRB Presentation Video divx | wegame

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast