Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - December 16th, 2011 - Passing the Torch

Funcom employee Letter from the Game Director - December 16th, 2011 - Passing the Torch

The Final Friday with Means

At this point in time I am the longest sitting Game Director Anarchy Online has ever had. It is time for a change. At the end of December I will be leaving Anarchy Online to pursue another challenge and be closer to my children's grandparents in Sweden.

On March 29th, 2004 I stepped into the Funcom offices and began my first work as a content designer with Anarchy Online. I remember one of my first tasks was to playtest Crypt of Home before it was released to the live servers. Despite what Cerubin did to me and my group of other new employees I figured I was the luckiest guy in the world and had found the best job ever. I was right. The new group of designers were asked to request which project and position they would be interested in working on and I was the only one who got my request and I was delighted to be the new Monster Designer for Anarchy Online...delighted until I realized that we were launching Alien Invasion in a few short months. I couldn't believe the hours I put in getting the monsters for that expansion to work and I also couldn't believe I was loving every minute of it. I couldn't even begin to mention all the great stuff I was lucky enough to get to work on while I was here...not to mention all the amazing people. Amazingly enough it feels like it was yesterday.

During my 8 years at Funcom I have never woken up in the morning and not wanted to go to the office. I worked myself right into the hospital before the release of Legacy of the Xan. At the end of the day that we filmed the promo for LoX I wasn't able to stand and had to be taken to the hospital by my good friend Craig Morrison..and as soon as I could stand again I was right back the next day. Our online world provided infinite challenge and unending variety every day...it is simply not possible for one person to learn it all. Some surprises were good...and some were definitely bad. From the massive piles of player bodies covering the ground outside the Biodomes to being flat on my back on the floor with both hands on my face while we rolled back the servers at 3am...none are moments I would trade for anything. The experience has been an all consuming passion for me for what feels like a lifetime. My first son crawled for the first time beside my desk in the Oslo office where he spent at least 3 hours with me every day for the first 6 months of his life. When I look at The passion this team and the community has for Anarchy Online it has always made me feel privileged just to get to be a part of it. It has been an incredible honor to get to spend the last 8 years working with Anarchy Online and being a part of the Funcom family.

Looking to the future of the game things could not be better. Holding the dual role of Producer/Game Director for Anarchy Online always made me feel stretched and it was definitely unwieldy to manage the business and creative ends of the project at the same time. Going forward into the future these roles will again be filled by two people to make sure each area gets the attention it needs and deserves.

Filling the role of Producer is Dave "Ilaliya" Williams. Dave has been management at three different game companies and has lead the systems teams for both Age of Conan and most recently The Secret World. I know we can count on Dave to keep the project running smoothly and bring his systems experience to the team whenever we might need it. I am very grateful to Dave for coming to AO to help us get things done right.

Taking up the helm as the new Game Director is Fia "Lindelu" Tjernberg who has been with the team since before the release of the Legacy of the Xan booster pack. Fia has been a driving force helping the team deliver amazing things for the last few years and I can't wait to see what she manages to put together going into the future. I'm certain she will keep you up to date with updates of her own that I can't wait to read. So many things are getting close to completion..this is going to be a very exciting year.

Both these individuals are incredible assets to the project and will no doubt manage a bright future for all of us who love Anarchy Online. Like everyone else who has ever moved on from the team...if they ever need anything from me, big or small, all they have to do is ask. Thank you again to everyone for the never ending support and ecouragement that has made my time with Anarchy Online and Funcom such an amazing experience.

Waldgeist edit: German Translation
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

1st!

Edit:
    Took me a bit to breathe again.
    Thank you Means for the incredible good job you did past years. Wish you all the best Luck for whatever is ahead of you.
    And grats Lindelu! From now on, you will be the most loved and hated person in the AO team
    Last edited by Tikra; Dec 16th, 2011 at 16:08:31.

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

epic
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Thank you all you have done, Means! Good Luck to you and your family in all your future endeavors.
    Guapo - Advisor in Unity of The Rose

Good Luck Means!

Good Journey ahead Means

oh, gl Means
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

it's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

I seem to be getting 3 different images in my mind all swirling around together.
    Anarchy
    Hell
    and a
    Handbasket
    Last edited by Shadowblayde; Dec 16th, 2011 at 16:09:42.
    If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault.
    If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault.
    If damage dies, it's damage's fault.

The end is nigh!

Best of luck to both Means and the remaining crew.

Good luck Means with the future projects. I might not have always been the most vocal of supporters, but you have been the best GD I've known in the game.
    Kudos for all your hard work over the years man, I'm sure most of us, the whiners included, will look back kindly
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

its the beginning of the end of Anarchy Online, instead of making the game easier so new people join and the population increases, they continue to make the game harder and the grind soul destroying, so more and more people leave!! awesome
    Atlantean (Rubi-Ka 1)
    Deathkillz 220/24 Soldier
    Fixstar 220/18 Fixer
    Deathealz 220/18 Doctor
    Deathchillz 187/12 Bureaucrat
    Deathskillz 147/3 Engineer

New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Wow, this is...Sad I guess. Will be interesting to see how things work out.
    Farewell Means!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
    its the beginning of the end of Anarchy Online, instead of making the game easier so new people join and the population increases, they continue to make the game harder and the grind soul destroying, so more and more people leave!! awesome
    it HAS gotten easier tho. dailies made the axp grind cake. imagine getting ai30 off apfs, and city raids alone. or worse, 220 grind pre-inf mish reward. or worse still, grinding 200 doing nothing but broken shores mishes (*shudder*)

This isn't a good sign..

Thank you Means. Good luck.

was a great run, hope your new life is fun and prosperous
    Former Assistant Director of Pack of Noobs

Fake Friday with Means, and it worked!

Ill keep my finger crossed for Fia hoping she will do at least half as you did Means!Good luck in future man!
    Multrox tried to sleep but failed

Multrox 220/30/70 atrox MP
    Meheal 220/30/70 nm doc Proud President of Mercenaries For Hire
    Pedrossss 220/30/70 atrox soldja

well i dont really see new people joining the game, all i see is people leaving
    Atlantean (Rubi-Ka 1)
    Deathkillz 220/24 Soldier
    Fixstar 220/18 Fixer
    Deathealz 220/18 Doctor
    Deathchillz 187/12 Bureaucrat
    Deathskillz 147/3 Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
    well i dont really see new people joining the game, all i see is people leaving
    i blame the release of WoW-but-with-lightsabres on that.

Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast