Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - December 16th, 2011 - Passing the Torch

Means, good luck brother. You did a lot for AO. Lind has a huge role to fill.
    Last edited by Spartanx9; Dec 16th, 2011 at 17:40:29.
    220/30 - Spartanx9. Back for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquihana
    Haquihana: And Spartanx9, I dont usually spend much time in the soldier forums.. you all don't make enough rucus (NOTE: this is not a message of approval to go cause unjust trouble)
    Sounds like i need to cause some trouble I kid i kid

You were the first director I thought really listened to players and understood what was needed. I saw infinite patience with some of the more intractable people on the forums, and I think one of the very best things I saw since you took the helm was a real openness on the part of FC to give information about what is happening behind the scenes, good or ill. I for one found that many bugs and frustrations were easy to deal with knowing that they would soon be fixed or knowing why they couldn't, as opposed to the silence we heard before you stepped up.

I hope we get the same from our new director. Thanks for all the great changes and good luck on your next career!
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Quote Originally Posted by Leileena View Post
    First task on the job for Lindelu... Get that statue of Means pointing to the sky in game?

Thanks for all your efforts, and good luck in the future Means. Despite an obviously hard job you've done well.
    +1 for Means' statue. With an I WIN button at the base.

Best of luck in your new venture, Means. You've done a huge amount for the game over the years; pushing it forwards and not letting up. I was surprised to read this because I'd grown used to the idea that you would head up AO 'til it shut down. Or at the very least, see it out to the engine release

I remember when Sil left, I was concerned that it was a sign AO might be abandoned into a holding pattern for a couple years before turning off the servers for good. Glad you proved me wrong
    I'm actually Ophiuchus // Cynic092 but Forum accounts are fickle, fleeting things...

Are we there yet?

Bombqueen.

Post an epic journey

Thank you Means for every moment, all the countless hours and all the heart, sweat and tears you put into this adventure. We will think of you fondly and often. The journey has been a great vast of intrigue and wonder to say the least. Many amazing adventures to you and yours.
    Keep us posted on events.

ت Scheli

Words cannot describe what you have put into this game and the experience we all have shared. Thank you for making the time we all have put into this game what it is today. Best of luck in what ever you do next and I will be expecting you to pop into game every once and a while.
    Jadetheshade 220/30/70 Opi Shade
    Typhonis 220/24 Nm NT
    Galorien 220 Opi Fix
    Copyrighted 170 Opi Engi (someone petitioned Nintendo)

Wow, well this was unexpected. A big farewell to you Means, you've contributed so much to AO over the years and have been a fantastic Directory. Good luck in your new endeavors.

The king is dead (well moved on...), long live the Queen!

Welcome lindelu and Ilaliya to your new roles, try and enjoy every day of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Leileena View Post
    First task on the job for Lindelu... Get that statue of Means pointing to the sky in game?

Thanks for all your efforts, and good luck in the future Means. Despite an obviously hard job you've done well.
    +1 from me also

Means, I think it's safe to say we'll all miss you. I hope Lindelu will do this Job nearly as great as you did and that she won't be paralyzed by the size of the footsteps you leave. Thanks a lot, Means, for the last years. Thank you.

And congrats to Lindelu. I hope you will carry on with the Friday with (insert Gamed Director here) posts. I think it was a great way to improve the communication between us players and you at the team over there, especially because the players take over more and more parts of the dev team. I wish you a good start for your new position and that you won't surrender to the constant rants and flames by us.

Whenever I sit in my hoover chair I will think of you!

Thanks for everything and good luck in your future job.

Means, thank you for all the hard work and long hours you have been spending on the game I love the most. I have played ao for around 9 years now, and I have so many good memories thanks to you and your team. AO is almost like having a second child, following him from the birth and where he is today.. around 10 years old. Good luck to you, and don't forget to visit us! We are still alive (tm).
    Strombanni, 220/70/30 Doctor
    General of The Red Brotherhood | Our videos

If a man of learning does not understand brotherhood
    has not the learning been a waste?

Wow. Like Jill I had no idea what I was clicking on. I needed some time to really summon my feelings for this particular post.

Dear Means,

It is with a fairly heavy sigh to read your final FwM. No matter where the direction of this game went, I always knew it would be interesting with you at the helm. From the beginning I called you a Rock Star. You never rolled over once, or took guff from people and still kept a smile on your face through it. When you posted the angry spider shirt, I recommended you take some time off. I could tell in the early stages that you were prolly a husk of a man doing so much work for so many people, at least half of which did not appreciate the sacrifices you have made to push this game into the direction it has been. I remember our laughs in AOspeak as you presented us with little facts about the game you had noticed since your time as director, and how often we pestered you that night while you at home relaxing. In retrospect, I should have insisted you ditch us and grab some rack time. I can't imagine how much you family must miss you.

You have always had a bright eye for the future for us, despite some of our best efforts to tear you down. Even I have started to loose faith towards the end, after so many years of waiting. I honestly do not understand nor can empathize with the plight of coders and game developers because I've never really seen how far it goes. But, now I am seeing just how much it can cause burnout. I've been there myself, just as a different profession. It takes really large shoulders to carry entire legacies, all the while worrying about money, responsibilities, home and family, events, much less social time around all that. This IS something I can empathize with.

Not too long ago I posted an entry about what I would do if I was game director, and I realized later some of it must have come off as harsh or hypercritical. I duly apologize if that was the case. To be truthful with it, I really would have no idea what to do except as an outline form. Anything deeper than my outline and I would have been lost. On the other hand, you brought us amazing loots, wonderful add-ons, interesting and sometimes tough content, and I honestly felt that in the end, everything was going to work out for us because you were the icebreaker steamship plowing through all the worst parts of the game to keep it fresh for us. You personally have gotten justice for me with billing, answered all of my questions, and always made time for my emails, and have been an all 'rounder in helping me stay positive.

To sum it all up, Thank You. Along the way, i've noticed that Lindelu has had a heavy pen in all this too. I am looking forward to more of whats being brought to the table. This is the end of an Era for Anarchy Online. I really wish the two of you the best of luck, with this game, and moving onward from it. Big shoulders, my friends.

You have my respects, Colin. I am going to keep my eyes out on what you might be working on next. I could likely speak for many by saying this; but, I'd rather it just be from me to you. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas.

With applause,
    Bubz

EDIT: I made a pic for ya.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Dec 16th, 2011 at 19:34:01.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Strombanni View Post
    I have played ao for around 9 years now
    Only 9 years! N00b!

<3

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced
    ^^That.
    Ending of an era. PPl may have not agreed with the direction you took the game, but at least there was a direction it did take. Thank you.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    text
    Best post so far and /signed
    Couldnt have said it any better

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

You feel the core of your being shift, as the source makes room for a divine presence. 'Means' has reached enlightenment.

Congratulations on the new job Means, you will be much missed.

Saddest FWM ever.

Knowing you leave us in good hands makes me at ease, yet we are going to miss you Means. The fact that you gave AO a face we hated/loved just lets us know how seriously you took your job. I don't like to see anyone from AO team go, but thats life.

Hoping for the best for you and your family. Thanks you for your work! You will be missed.

Ps: How about a farewell party!?

Lindelu, Dave "Ilaliya" Williams Congratz on the new postition and welcome to some sort of Hell
    Last edited by heilt-do; Dec 16th, 2011 at 18:48:10.

Good luck in Sweden, wish all the best to you and your family!

Even though I appreciate your enthusiasm and dedication, I always thought you weren't the man for AO, I'm a pessimist when it comes to AO and I hope I won't come to regret you.
    Last edited by kesh; Dec 16th, 2011 at 19:42:27.

Have a good one Means. GL on future adventures!

+1 Bump Means Statue! (Spot Idea: Unicorn Radar Area S-W in borealis.)

Been up and downs but u still managed to build 1 of the best MMO's Ever made!

Good luck to you Means. You and the team did awesome things for the game, even if it would "take to long" you still stuck it out.

I was a pleasure meeting you and the rest of the team over the summer, and its good to see that AO will still be in the hands of people that care so deeply about it.

Again best of luck, and many happy years with your family!
    Point Blank

Farewell Means! ;_;

- Tagyourit

Good luck on RK4 Means. Thanks for all the work you did for the AO community.
    Soldier level 220/ax30/le70 veteran of clan First Light
    Bureaucrat level 174/ax24/le42 advisor of clan First Light

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast