Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - December 16th, 2011 - Passing the Torch

Safe travels, Means, you will be greatly missed.

Welcome aboard, Lindelu, in your new role.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

*Reads thread title* "Hmm, I wonder what content hes passing on?"

*Reads first sentence* "WHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"

I am very sad that you are leaving Means.

When you first took over as game director after Sirillion had left, I didn't know what it meant (Also because I was younger, so I didn't know what to think). Then I started reading the Friday With Means posts you put up every single friday since you started them. You didn't miss a single friday with one of those posts, and when you knew you wouldn't be in the office, you wrote it up and then had Kintaii post it, so that everyone knew what was going on behind the scenes. I read FWM even when I wasn't playing AO, even when I wasn't remotely interested in playing for the 6 month long gaps or so that I didn't play. Hell to this day, FWM became a religious thing for me to check every friday; Fridays didn't feel complete without checking it.

Your game direction stopped AO from dying, it stopped it from going down the tubes and survive to see its 10th aniversary, and, you also had the guts to sit down and acctually start to fix all the things wrong with the game. The many things you and the AO dev team fixed/are currently fixing will help the game live hopefully 10+ more years. You and the team have finally almost finished rebalancing the different unique professions, worked on the guts of the game to merge the new engine with it, and managed to pump out holiday content every time. You are friggin awesome man.

You were a great game designer, and a great game director. I don't even know if anyone can fill the shoes you wore. You wore some pretty epic shoes.

So, farewell means, good luck in your future endeavors, and best wishes/holiday wishes to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    < ** EPIC post ** >
    ^ This!

For the majority of my AO life, Means has been the GD. It's going to take a while to get used to that no longer being the case.

Wow. What can I say, man. Thank you for everything you've done; you really put your heart and soul into this game and I think that's plain to see. I don't know if enough of the people on these forums have told you that over the years, but you deserve 100% of the heartfelt gratitude I'm seeing in this thread.

All the best for the future. Gonna miss you.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Triadninja View Post
    I read FWM even when I wasn't playing AO, even when I wasn't remotely interested in playing for the 6 month long gaps or so that I didn't play. Hell to this day, FWM became a religious thing for me to check every friday; Fridays didn't feel complete without checking it..............
    So true lol, i read it like a newspaper on fridays.
    Last edited by heilt-do; Dec 16th, 2011 at 19:04:41.

aww thats not cool.. the captain has to sink with the ship.
    or is it already sunken ?

tho thanks for your work and gl on your future projects.
    meep

Really expected Kintaii to take the ring on to Mordor. Good luck to Means. Get the horse farm and tractor out of reclaim!

You've been a great director Means, i wish you the best of luck on your future projects.
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

I hope you enjoy your next project as much as you did AO Means - and I certainly hope you still drop in to visit.

You were by far the top GD this game has ever seen, I'd go so far as saying you beat out a lot of other games in that regard to.

It is a sad sight to see you go, while many of us are in limbo waiting to see how the game turns out, if it will draw us back; we are still part of the community and our cynicism only echoes our belief and desire that the game could be great again.

Let us know what your next project is so we can stalk you, k Means

To Lindelu - you have big shoes to fill, and I hope you keep up the traditions of open communication that Means has set forth, good luck with your role as game director.
    Shhh... I'm in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazalanche View Post
    People that continuously insult the player base TRYING to level, while asking why the population is so low, need to get a clue.

Gotta agree Means, I think you were the best GM the game's had. GL going forward.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Good luck Means

wow, what a bomb.

good luck Means, we'll miss you.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Thank you for everything. Statue of Means pointing to the sky must be in the next update or I ragequit .

Welcome Lindelu as GD - I'm sure you'll do a great job carrying the torch. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I owe my career to this incredible person and mentor. Having put up with my efforts since I produced my fan-made 8th and 9th anniversary videos for Anarchy Online, I had no idea it would evolve into the opportunity I have become a part of today.

Over the past 7 months, the amount I have learned from you and this team have proven to be invaluable. Whenever I became consumed with frustration, you would literally pull me away from my desk to help me regain my sanity

The future of AO has been ever more illuminated thanks to you, and I'm sure we will never forget the insurmountable contributions you have made to this game, as well as this family of a community

Cheers, to your new future

Rob "Kjeks" Milus
    AO Artist

Smile Take Care Means

Be Well and I wish the best for you and your family in your new endeavor!

Thanks for the committment and passion you have brought to AO during your tenure as Game Director. Thank you for your opening of lines of communication to the playerbase and for your best efforts to keep AO running, improving, and growing for so long. Thank you for your work on the new engine which I really hope we can all be standing in someday soon seeing our old and beloved Rubi Ka shining with new life. Thank you for your willingness to look at design decisions that did not work and change them. Thanks for giving us hope that AO will survive and perhaps thrive because of the work you have done on the new engine.

I wish you the best in all you do!

May the sand of Rubi Ka never be completely shaken out of your boots!

Peace and <3
    Innervoid 220 / 30 / 70 MA (sadly no longer teh main man cos MA haz no lub)
    Thedarknight 220 / 30 / 70 ADV (name reset FTW)
    Shrektehogre 220/ 30 / 70 KEEP (Prolly the Main, maybe)
    Enemywithin 220 / 30 / 70 AGENT (RAWR)
    Lastsamurai 220 / 30 / 70 SOL (6th 220 FTW!)
    Innerpeace 220 / 30 / 70 CRAT (First Calmer)
    Stargazer 220 / 30 / 70 MA DOC
    Abyssgazer 220 MP (8hr CM lubbin/all around MP gamp)
    Misterscott 220 ENGY / Deaconfroste 220 SHADE / Vforvendetta 220 ENF / Haljordan 220 Fix

Cant believe your leaving us means, now who will we tease in the future? aaaah right heeeeey Lindelu

Really hope your next project will be as good as AO has been and that it brings you many joys that AO has given you over the time.
    Dont be a stranger and do pop in from time to time and let us know how things are going.

Thanks for all you done for us and putting up with those "ow ######" moments.

Lindelu, welcome as new Game Director hope you continue the legacy of means with Friday with Lindelu posts because we all enjoy reading them every friday!

Means we are going to miss you arround, it was all a fun run and i wish i could have gotten to know you better but from the chats we had it sure where good times
    Hope your new direction brings you nothing but enjoyment and more time with your family and if we dont see you arround before christmas and new year anymore then i want to wish you a happy christmas and a good new year.

ps.
    Dont forget to fill the chest in COH and unlock its everlasting secret before you go!

Thank you for an ‘effing [No drop] and kick a$$ [Unique] 8 years!

My sincerest gratitude for all the work you have done. You will be sorely missed.

/respect and heartfelt hugs

~Homeostasis
    You have not wasted your day if you have laughed at least once and learned at least one new thing. ~Jokzer

The way I see it, the loot, the levels, all the binary is temporary and can be lost at any time. The only permanent thing in the game are the people and the memories you make with them. ~Silq

~ Homeostasis ~ Proud member of ARETE ~RX~. 2001-2014 - It's been a wonderful journey! *hugs* from Homeo and her army of alts!

I'll miss you terribly - even when I don't agree with decisions or directions it's been something to actually see, week to week to week, how much you care about AO. At the core, that passion from devs and players keeps the game going.

Best of luck to you and your family. Have a lovely Christmas.

You were a good GD and I'm sad to see you go.

Best of luck with your future endeavours.
    Berim, Lacian, Greyd, Misterburns, Techro and Hockenberry

Man what a bummer... it's like we all got a nice fat lump of coal for Christmas this year. :|
    What happens to FwM? Is it going to be FwL now? >=)

It was a fun ride while it lasted. You have the community's blessings to take with you.
    Meleny - Solitus Adventurer Tomb raider wanna-be.
    Meriah - Solitus Shade Stilettos on feet AND hands!
    Valligan
    - Solitus NT Five fingers of mass destruction!
    Nathex - Solitus Agent Covert buffage, or debuffage.

And an entire army of lowbie gimps!

Thank you very much from the great work you have done to the game Means

And welcome Lindelu.
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    TRB Videos Our Videos

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast