Page 1 of 20 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Monthly Development Update: January 2012
    It's my first time doing something like this so please bare with me! I've done a lot of preparations for this update to give you a fair insight into what we're currently working on, and I can see us sharing some good times ahead.

Graphics Engine
    One of the things that we really want to focus on right now, is showing you the progress of our new graphics engine! We feel like it's about damn time, and thanks to Parsed and also Cube we're finally ready to produce our very first video!

Our artists have been preparing a couple of playfields to a standard that is very close to what we're aiming for. The focus features for this video will be showcasing what we feel look fantastic; grass, shadows, skydome, self illumination and, drumroll... godrays! (Water looks pretty neat too, but what do I know I'm not an artist (: )

I'm hoping to produce more videos when more features and areas becomes available, and I'm expecting that this first one will hit you sometime in february!

New Bug Report Forums
    Another thing we want to focus on is making sure that we keep the communications line open with you. It's an important part of what makes AO special, and something I definitely want to maintain. To help with this we've gotten a few cool new things up and running. Kintaii has been setting up our new Report a Bug and Report an Exploit forums. Thanks to our amiable volunteers - This is now open and ready to be used!

If you post a new thread in this forum the development team can see it immediately, and only the people handling your report (the development team, quality assurance and bug hunters) will be able to see your post. This will allow you to bring these issues to us in confidence, and that you can help ensure we have direct knowledge of the things that effect you day to day.

We also wanted to make it easier for you to contribute on the test server. So as an extension to this new system, I present to you our new Test Live robot ”Auto” – who can boost your character up to any level free of charge on the Test Live Dimension, so you're ready to help us indentify bugs immediately without having to transfer an existing character. Test live is an essential part of our development process so we want to try and improve the ease with which people can help us out if they want to. I think there has previously been a barrier here, and with this addition we wan't people to just get into the action immediately and have more fun while testing.

Please keep using the ingame petition for any issues that disrupts you while playing. That is still your primary communication channel with the good people in customer service.

Character Heads
    I'm very happy about us getting additional Funcom resources to aid us in the production of new Solitus character heads. This is greatly going to speed up our work, and once they have all been polished and approved by Flap and Mstr we will share some of them with you. These Solitus heads are in the last batch of heads we're re-making, and judging by the quality examples we've obtained I think you're going to find them hot! (:

Profession Changes
    Many of you have asked me about the balance act, and ideally all of the things we want to improve would come at the same time, but in reality things will have to be prioritized. So right now we are working on approving the suggested changes, making adjustments here and there, and indentifying in which order the changes should be released. Genele is currently buried in piles of documentation, and she is doing a great job leading these meetings and I definitely feel that we can do this, a little bit at a time.

We all want AO to use it's full potential. That's why we are doing this, we want you to understand what all your tools do (yes I'm partly speaking about LE procs), and we want you to be able to use all your tools no matter where you are in the game world. Right now this is not the case because of how several systems are built on top of eachother. Improving this will also allow us as designers to make new fun content more freely.

Server Merge
    I've seen a lot of discussion about doing a server merge, and we are infact looking into the possibility of doing this. The server capability now compared to ten years ago is a little more buff, so the hardware can definately handle an increased population. It's too early to give our verdict, but Macrosun is doing his thing and as soon as I know the result I will talk about it more because we feel like this is a natural step that will allow us to have more enjoyable team based content no matter in which time zone you live in.

Summary
    So, to summarize our vision for 2012; for the next couple of months our combined efforts will strive towards three major goals: shipping the new player experience, the balancing act and the new graphics engine.

These are large tasks that will involve most people in the team at various points, but with good planning we will still be able to release content patches, continue to eradicate bugs and exploits, optimize and improve ao and deal with all the new and creative ways in which fate decides to mess with us.

Finally, as a more long time vision, I'm seing us planning for the next expansion or booster pack once we are done with what we're already working on. It's a little early yet to say when, but it's definitely on our horizon!

In the next newsletter I will amongst other things talk about my thoughts on the new startup experience, the battle station (and pvp in general), and the item shop. I need a chance to roll up my sleeves and get some more work done first.

The Next Game Update
    The next patch should be released on the 8th of February.
    This includes new fun content for Valentine's Day, created by the designer that brought you the Christmas missions - Michizure, and it will be available until the 27th of February!

By your request: Amesha Vizaresh will be greeting you on the platform leading to The Gauntlet, announcing the countdown timer until next Vizaresh spawn!

Please keep being the wonderfully unique community that you are, and I will do my very best being your advocate.

Kindly,
    Fia ”Lindelu” Tjernberg

Ps. Hi Means (:

Waldgeist edit: German translation
    Last edited by lindelu; Feb 29th, 2012 at 15:51:50.
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Hi.
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

First to complain, all this sounds very hazy and we are yet to get a proper deadline for anything.

kudos on the server merge though
    Last edited by Mangostik; Jan 31st, 2012 at 14:27:47.

Sounds good, glad to see things are moving forward
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

finaly
    Neutralizers

Enfomax01
    Cratishe
    Maxone
    Leetkilluh
    Moltenfury
    Enfomax
    Onemax

i was first...was close
    Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

Looking forward to that engine

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing samples of the work in progress.
    Don't mind me. I'm just passin' through.
    ::CLAN ADV :Chairman's Prize for Holy LOL recipient: RK-I::
    The Red Brotherhood
    If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'm gonna stick my leet in the mashed potatoes.”

Decent post.
    I really hope if you do take server merge seriously that you involve the community properly and don't shaft people. My opinion, make every city instanced with ability to buy directly from GMS, and remove them from RK, and add more tower fields to the mix.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Merging rk2 with rk1 might be a good idea population wise, at least the way it's looking atm.
    But say you get a big influx on players as the gfx engi gets released (i'm assuming you're gonna relaunch the game, and that should make more ppl sign up for it) would you then have to restart another server? Depends on the size of the influx i guess.

Better to hold off merging stuff until you see witch way the ball rolls, but then again, i guess any plans to merge are still on the drawning board so no worries, just venting a bit here
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

So when is video out?

Merge, the cities, how are you going to handle them? I won't take another ghetto, thank you...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

And now lets see if they can keep their words with the new Game Director! February here we come! Sounds goood

i post a suggestion about org-city´s
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=596941

buyable character slot´s helps that no toon get lost with a merge

cheers
    Brampfine
    Last edited by Brampfine; Jan 31st, 2012 at 14:53:00.

Looking good.

"Next couple of months" for the big 3? I remember Means saying in 2010 that the Engine was going to be out Q1 of 2011. Let's not see the same mistake again.

Also no mention of Parry/Riposte changes. Can we get some clarification as to where this vanished to?
    Last edited by Raggy; Jan 31st, 2012 at 14:56:52.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Hello! well this question may sound a bit off, but after January we all feel a bit worried about game status. Is AO in good standing in FC? is the game financially sound? Many veteran players are worried about it.
    About PvP, Most of pvpers know that AO devs have a lack of skills on it. Hence most game changes affect us in a negative way. Lindelu are you a PvP friendly Game Director, or just PvM one?
    Welcome to the hot seat Lindelu.
    PS: Kintaii should have his own version of a updates to the community, at least every 2 weeks. That way we get our fix.
    Last edited by lordcabro; Jan 31st, 2012 at 15:00:32. Reason: Adding PS.

This was a good read! Looking forward to the videos

Quote Originally Posted by lordcabro View Post
    PS: Kintaii should have his own version of a updates to the community, at least every 2 weeks. That way we get our fix.
    *gets mental image of Kintaii walking around the streets at night like a city guard, with a loud bell thingy, shouting "It's 2 weeks till linde time. All is quiet."*
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

She said the 'm' word

Quote Originally Posted by lordcabro View Post
    Hello! well this question may sound a bit off, but after January we all feel a bit worried about game status. Is AO in good standing in FC? is the game financially sound? Many veteran players are worried about it.
    What gave you the impression AO is not at good standing with FC?
    The AO team is bigger than it has been in a long time.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

ohai
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Summary
    So, to summarize our vision for 2012; for the next couple of months our combined efforts will strive towards three major goals: shipping the new player experience, the balancing act and the new graphics engine.
    Did I miss it somewhere? It seems the first mention of the new player experience was in the summary. What will that entail, exactly, and where are you in that process?

Otherwise...first deadline: kept. Well done. Good post, and let us know if we can do anything to help.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

2nd page
    Dear developers,

Rock is OP, paper is fine.

-Yours faithfully, Scissors

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast