Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little presentation before the newsletter

Funcom employee A little presentation before the newsletter

Some of you have been asking me what sort of things I have been responsible for as a designer, and I think answering this will give you more insight in what sort of direction I will guide us in.

The most memorable enemies I made were the aliens in Arid Rift.
    Since I enjoy very fast-paced and actiony combat, I decided to give them less hit points and more dangerous tricks than any other enemies had at the time.
    I think this worked out well, it was challenging to attempt to solo, and one was always kept your ones toes.

I am however not a fan of the snare towers mechanic, just because I think it punishes people who do not deserve to be punished. They do serve their purpose, but I will use my thinking hat twice in the future to avoid this mechanic.

The most memorable boss fight I made was area X in Neretva Canyons.
    Me and Flap (artist) initiated the design on a Sunday afternoon at a cafe in Oslo, and the first concepts for it was drawn on a napkin.

When this area hit Live it dawned on me that the formula for spawning adds was flawed, and I think Live ended up with something like 278 adds. I learned a lot about all night debugging and why to avoid it that night.

I think the revised version fits well in my portfolio as being a very intense fight where your toolset matters. You can debuff, snare, root and taunt with appropriate results. And you need to keep awake in order to succeed.

The most memorable dialogue I wrote was in Arid Rift (LOX). As a player I was very curious about the alien story, and it was mindblowing to learn this story from the development team and writing it myself. I especially enjoyed working with the Awakened Xan.

The most memorable bugs and annoyances that I fixed was those quest lines with previously bad reputations. Bazzit quest, scheol sanctuary and garden quests and nascence garden quests spring to mind. These all used to contain kinks which prevented you from progressing if you did something in the wrong order, and the right order wasn't very well communicated.

The thing I'm most proud of is the Daily Mission system. I feel like all the effort and love that went into designing and implementing over a hundred missions payed off, people have been enjoying having new and varied things to do to level up.

Although, my colleagues think it's important for us to direct more of our focus on team gameplay right now, and I agree with them.
    To be honest with you I did not consider the fact that some people are leveling up a LOT of characters at the same time when I made these missions - but I realize now that it makes it difficult for you to have time for anything else but daily missions, and this is something I that consider to be a drawback of this system.

The thing I am least proud of is all the times when I broke the game.
    Means did a really good job both catching these mistakes and shielding me from the fire, but I am absolutely responsible for breaking the game on multiple occasions and I think at least every time I learned a lesson.

The first official newsletter will be released on Tuesday 31st of January (:
    Last edited by lindelu; Jan 28th, 2012 at 19:41:10. Reason: typo
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

wwoohoo, second
    Knights of Ka
    The Elysium Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    Einstein said, there's two things that are infinite.. the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not sure about the universe.

Good to see that we have a date for the newsletter now. Only a few more days. =)

Also 3rd.

First page? ;o
    :E

oh hi
    Qret 220 Bureaucrat
    Musstang 103 Enforcer
    Pherto 106 Fixer

proud Unit Member of
    Storm

tl:dr version

It's all Lindelu's fault.

Can't wait to read the newsletter

Just like real appetizers. Looking forward to the newsletter on Tuesday!
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    the first official newsletter will be released on tuesday 31st of january (:
    2013?

Sil hasn't posted his newsletter yet, either. Poor Waldgeist is gonna be busy Monday evening...
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

The thing I am least proud of is all the times when I broke the game.
    Means did a really good job both catching these mistakes and shielding me from the fire, but I am absolutely responsible for breaking the game on multiple occasions and I think at least every time I learned a lesson
    And now when you are in Montreal you won't have a problem with different timezones ,)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

choose one: fix your emoticons, or fix MPs please

even though the emoticons kinda look cool... /:
    220/30 Lordlawrence
    200/2x Pampero
    Ever wondered what's like making an OP toon? 30/3 Forum
    25/3 Killergoa

To be honest with you I did not consider the fact that some people are leveling up a LOT of characters at the same time when I made these missions - but I realize now that it makes it difficult for you to have time for anything else but daily missions, and this is something I that consider to be a drawback of this system.
    The fact that people spend several hours doing dailies on their multiple leveling toons does not indicate a problem with the dailies, I assure you. The problem is more fundamental than that. Any effort to make dailies easier for 'people leveling up a lot of characters at the same time' will be a clear signal that the devs don't expect the population to ever rise again.

Please choose carefully which problem you will fix.

Best,
    Gora
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Yay, new Lindelu postages
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Sounds like Lindelu not have something linked with PvP and NotumWars in the portfolio.
    PvP and NotumWars will be ignored again?
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

Never managed to get in team as a MP in those LoX areas. Anything changed to good for us MPs, since my last MIA status acknowledgment?
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

What is this thing called "team" I hear some people mention?

Not that faar behind. i like Lindelu allot atm, i cant wait for the 31st to read more.
    What we get and when will say allot about the future atm i think, becose i have collected a good amount of friend during my 9 ish years i been here, and atleast 60-70% of my friend list are people that quit becose of the engine and balance that never came, its not becose funcom just said so and didnt deliver.. but it is becose the game has been the same forever, and its not fun to play a game that never changes.

Many of the old people from my friend list will come back, problabe all of em more or less when balance comes.
    Last edited by Le-Quack; Jan 29th, 2012 at 01:36:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    2013?
    haters keep hatin'
    since 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    FYI: Cola burns when it comes out your nose...I now know this because of you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast