Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: January 2012

Lindelu,

my female character has sexy face.

Will you be replicating the sexy face in the new models; keeping some very similar to the current sexy face? Of course, I expect new ones too!

The server capability now compared to ten years ago is a little more buff, so the hardware can definately handle an increased population.
    So you're saying that the combined population of the 2 servers today is greater that it was on only one of the 2 in 2005-2006? hmmmm...................................

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
    Joeymtl The Renaissance
    Tsbish (Tradeskiller)
    Shibasama (lvl 5 with Feeble Gladiatorbot & Red Line)
    Achiever 66.67%, Killer 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Socializer 46.67%

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Server Merge
    I've seen a lot of discussion about doing a server merge, and we are infact looking into the possibility of doing this.
    Why don't you question the need of merge?!

Imo, server merge is the worst solution to this situation where we lack players.

Why not wait until new engine and rebalance before doing that? Maybe it would bring enough players back? Why not get AO on steam or something and promote it like it was suggested recently?

If merge ever happens, that'd most likely mean that FC aren't planning anything of the above and confirm that they give up on AO totally.

My vote is: NO MERGE! In the worst case, just make it a paid service to transfer chars between servers.
    Danielka||Toxicmen||Toxicrush||Toxishot
    The Pain Dealers recruiting omni 205+ players.

[OT OOC] Jalf: gay sex plz /tell guarder
    [Kijomimi]: i accidentally left kijo afk with no wolf for 10mins in clon**** (AFK reply sent)
    [Cobrakai]: hi can you loan me 15 mill til I log mu maun krendor

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    Why don't you question the need of merge?!

Imo, server merge is the worst solution to this situation where we lack players.

Why not wait until new engine and rebalance before doing that? Maybe it would bring enough players back? Why not get AO on steam or something and promote it like it was suggested recently?

If merge ever happens, that'd most likely mean that FC aren't planning anything of the above and confirm that they give up on AO totally.

My vote is: NO MERGE! In the worst case, just make it a paid service to transfer chars between servers.
    Server merge does seem like a bad idea... Bandaid/Broken leg.. This server merge train wreck should be shelved, and reexamined after the update and junk. I doubt it will even be necessary. This of course is time sensitive. This update n'stuff needs to get done, or f2p AO, merge servers, move team to TSW.. Wash hands of whole thing. It's or get off the pot time.

I'm also betting that the Steam thing is off the table now that EA has their meat hooks sunk deep into TSW.

EA + Steam = Drama only rivaled by a room full of wasted trailer park girls.

EA might be a giant evil meat grinder for software developers, but it might not be a bad idea for some sort of AO relaunch scenario. Take all the stuff mentioned here by the boss lady, shove it in a box/origin, give EA their 90% cut, and let them promote it with some of that EA marketing magic. Profit.

EA could call a toaster a PC Game and sell 3m of them on launch day. People will buy it. People generally don't know what they want until EA tells them what they want.

I say package deal..

Box set AO/AOC/TSW $79.95 (AO is a good game, slip it in there all pretty and stuff, people will play it.)

One monthly subscription fee $35.00 access to all three games. Proportionate discounts for 3 month, 6 months and 1 year. Add micro-transactions as needed.

meh.. just ranting
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 3rd, 2012 at 17:43:13. Reason: removed obscenities
    Kira "twichy" Lii

Dragon - Yours is not the path of force, though force is often needed to clear the path.

DDAC

I've seen the combo subscription deal idea mentioned a few times on the forums and everytime I've read it, I've thought it was a good idea.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    That's in the rebalance docs.
    Yes Sherlock, thats why i would really like to see it now and not with the rebalance, which may or may not happen "soon".

Well, I've been waiting on the use of the "M-word" from our partly beloved dev team (I'm excluding Mich on the grounds he smells of old people and cabbage) for some time.

with the ever declining playerbase it was inevitable and has been a long time comming.
    While Linde's statement was an "official maybe" these things do not get mentioned lightly.
    While the reasoning behind such a move may be sound in principle (I myself long for a return to the days of crowd limiting at tower wars and crashing tara instances) the "M-word" is and can never be anythig other than a negative statement on the state of an MMO.

You can parade phrases such as "Improved player and teaming experience" around as much as you like, but beneath all the glossy marketing and happy faces it will always boil down to "Not enough people want to play this game" and any prospective new player will see this and only this while making thier choice of what MMO to play.

Playing an MMO is an investment on thepart of the player, both time wise and financialy, in an ever expanding market where a new MMO rears its ugly wow-cloning head every other month anyone who wishes to start and stick with a new mmo (and these ARE the people we want) has a large and varried list to choose from.
    ANY negativity surrounding a game in that list is enough to make them move along to the next one and not give AO a second glance.

Once upon a time we had the benefit of being one of the only truly Science fiction MMO's around and we would gain new subscribers on the strength of that alone, this is no longer the case.
    Once upon a time AO looked shiny and new, this is no longer the case. (and before someone mentions the new engine, please do not be fooled in to thinking that its going to turn AO in to some crysis looking eye candy, at best, it will make our 10 year old game, look like a 7 year old game, you can give dolly parton a face lift, she STILL looks like someones drunk granny at a wedding)

A new engine isnt going to save AO, rebalancing isnt going to save AO, at best it may stem the flow of people leaving, but it will not be our cure all fix and will certainly not be raising AO back to its heyday.

SO, like it or loath it, a server merge is the inevitable next step and with the assosiated negativity that comes with such a move, it would not have even been mentioned or hinted at unless it was a very real possibility.

As for my own opinion on it, well, I'll be here till they kick me out, AO has become an integrated part of my life after all these years, not that my opinion matters, things like server merges are financialy motivated and niether us, nor the dev team have the final word on the matter.

Weather its for the best or not, the blame can be squarly placed upon the shoulders of the suits in accounting.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    AO has the most comprehensive and fastest travel system of any MMO I've ever tried. Complaining about that part of it is moot.
    Who was complaining about the current AO travel system?

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    Of any change - rebalance, or engine, or whatnot - the server merge sounds the most interesting. And needed.
    Nice, a thesis Good argument incoming...

Instead of merge as most people see it (migration really), it should in my humble opinion be creating one new server and moving everyone there. Towers shouldn't be an issue (hey, wipe 'em all, refund towers, would any PvPer really complain about competition aka wars?) and all cities should become instanced with buildings refunded. Whoever thinks it's cool to have clone cities fill every playfield needs to have their head checked. Arguments saying it wouldn't work are silly:[a quote explaining how difficulty farming increases with population]
    A server migration avoids the problem "which server do we go to?", so bonus there. Towers arent much of a problem, I dont think anyone has stated they like the look of the cities and such, there are certainly benefits to non-instanced cities that you don't mention. I wouldn't be hasty to call an argument silly, but maybe you actually provide reasons below.

When the Informant quest got live, there were several bottleneck mobs but people managed to get thru there anyway. Bazzit quest is something that's really, really rarely done. Can you remember how Trash King used to be - 20% spawn every 20 minutes, you only needed to tag him but even that was tough, plus everyone wanted those shoulderpads and I mean everyone from about level 40 upwards. Totw and subway have instances already if overcrowded, Foremans too I believe.
    Hmm, so the argument states "The downside of higher population is having to complete with other players on quests -it takes a longer." and your counter argument is essentially "Well it gets done eventually doesn't it?" The problem isn't whether it gets done, but the amount of time and frustration it takes, so you don't even address the argument. Your later sentences further point out the downsides to a larger population (with our current quests). This paragraph doesn't really prove your case that Lheann's argument was "silly".
    The point here is that quest mobs can be adjusted (probably not beyond the reaches of AO devs to increase number of Bazzit quest mobs), additionally people could - gasp - team up if they're off killing the same mobs as well. But it's not like a higher population would mean a worse game experience. You'd have to be insane to think that. The biggest problem would probably be Tarasque bots but that'd be a player created problem so a player created solution could probably be thought of.
    Ahh, a suggestion to change the mechanics of quests. Good idea, theres currently a thread by Kiwifruits about this. So far you have failed to disprove (and tbh have only made a case for) why increased population would make gameplay worse. Calling someone insane for thinking so is not an argument. You wrap this all up by stating another problem that could occur with higher population. Next time at least bring up the point on how an increased population would allow there to be more leveling teams.

Traveling in RK without benefit of city teleports doesn't change things a lot and mechanics could be made to replace this option either way.
    ...Other than the benefits of teleports. A replacement would be needed if all cities were instanced, i agree.

What worries me the most is the general tone of "Imagine if there would be 10-15 people in the same place doing the same quest as you". Wow, that actually sounds like an MMO. You used TOTW as an example of a place that would be horrific with that amount of players. Way back when, there always were at least 50 people just hanging out outside of TOTW, never mind inside the place in various instances. It serves the best of nobody to have a low population.
    Its more like "Imagine if you couldn't do a quest because 10-15 people are farming the parts you need and KSing you". To some people, this is the less desirable side of an MMO. There are definitely bad sides to having a high population. Next time, try arguing that the good outweighs the bad rather than "You're an idiot, what you think is bad isn't really bad"

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    You sir/madam, have an active imagination. There are not 10,000 people waiting in the wings for the engine to hit live. Most of the people who have moved on, are gone for good. And sure, people will stop by when it hits (particularly if FC gives a free month), but I doubt most will stay. And after these last few years, fearing too many players returning is a good, if fictitious, problem to have.
    As Steven Colbert would say, cynicism masquerades as wisdom. What is your source for the number or people "waiting in the wings"? Simply the assumption derived from assuming *most* have moved on and are "gone for good"? Or is it your doubts and gut feelings that you make statements off of?

The problems with a server merge aren't limited to the actual merge. What if X happened? What if X was a reasonable scenario, are the consequences worth going through? Its worth considering the potential problems with opening another server (as there are some), and whether dealing with these problems is worth merging the servers. I don't know if population will increase, but neither do you. So don't act like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Malosar View Post
    Simple solution to that would be to keep the maximum as it is now but let the merge scripts simply ignore that limitation. You end up with 14 characters on the account for the server and obviously you can't add any more until you delete at least 7 of them (since max is 8?)
    This still is an unfair solution.
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

..I'm totally appalled by the amount of QQ going on here. If you hate the game, at least keep it where potential new players can't see it.

Oi, Anarrina: Can we get another forum created called Soothesayers Club, make it hidden such that you have to be logged in to see it, and all the bitching can just get relocated there?

Not that I'm one for censorship, but honestly, I don't see the good in jeering "die game die. die faster. I hate you game. I feel cheated by you and now I'm going to try my hardest to make sure you never get another subscription ever again". You're not contributing at all. If you want to play another game then just do it and leave the rest of us alone.

If you have been paying any attention instead of nursing your hurt feelings from repeatedly missed deadlines, you'll see that FC is actually giving Anarchy Online the love we've been expecting for so long. The Dev team is getting bigger, the deadlines that we're getting now are a matter of *months* away. It's easy to miss a deadline really far in the future. But it seems VERY obvious to me that projects like the engine are actually coming to fruition. Can we get some big rounds of applause and encouragement instead of rages from players that quit the game months ago? Honestly!
    Clan for life

Great orgs:
    -Defenders of Rubi Ka (PvM)
    -Devil Inside (PvP)
    -Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by jijie2 View Post
    have no make stone to for sword we make sword box for sword to put sword in for sword ?

This forum is i think for everyone who is interested in the game or following the progress in positive or negative way.
    When you always speak positive then this forum is useless i guess.

You need to listen to the negative postings and use the information so that the negative people get positve.
    But when you say more then 25 times in 1 month to ARK and GM that there is a bug and then see it is solved 4 or 5 years later. Then you can't be positive that it is fixed, because the damage and imago did already drop to the bottom.
    Examples are cyborg souping bug that a yalming player aggro all cyborgs in the green water and then a NT kill all cyborgs from lakeside. Fixed in 2006 or 2007 i thought, so 5 till 6 years later.
    Also there are alot of points players get stuck, never fixed and alot of players did told locations to the AO employers.
    And there are alot more bugs on RK that never fixed!!!
    And missions that you can't enter, because they are under the ground, thought this was fix 1 or 2 years ago. Also took toooooooo much time when it was fixed.

So my advise to the AO employees, take all comments and bugs serious and fix it before moving on.
    And give feedback of it!!!

Take your job as you work for a company.
    Someone report a bug, write it down, give the reporter feedback that it was written down and give date when it will be repaired, when the bug is not fixed by this time, give reporter feedback that the issue takes some longer time then planned and give new date.

Reporters of bugs where never taken serious by any AO employee!!!
    We are the customers, do not see us as players of the game.
    The only thing that happend was after 1 year or longer AO employees where hunting players to ban from game.
    Why? They use the bugs for sooooo long time, while it was reported and never fixed.
    Then players are going to think that it was not important and taking advantage of the bugs.
    Players that get free 1 year subscription because the website was bugged, got maximum vetran points on all toons and alot more things. Some got alot of items and credits all for FREE!

When you never fix the old bugs, you don't need to ban the players from the game.
    Because AO employees need to know there responsabilitie to fix the reported bugs!!!

It is now like, throw money on the street and after 1 year shoot the people who did take the money what was on the street.
    And this is what the employees of AO do, they never fix bugs and after years they fix it and then ban all players who took advantage of it. While the problem was reported millions of times!!!
    Last edited by Jupiler1; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 08:08:42.
    Member of Neutral Organisation: The Roots

Paid account:

Singstar1 = lvl 150 Opifex MA // Singstar2 = lvl 119 Opifex Fixer (Leveling to 220)

frOOb buffing toons:

Toppertje = lvl 178 Atrox Fixer (GA4) // Topper1 = lvl 200 Opifex MP // Topper2 = lvl 100 Solitus Engineer (Warper) // Topper3 = lvl 60 Solitus Adventurer (ToTW) // Topper4 = lvl 165 Nanomage Trader // Topper5 = lvl 112 Atrox Bureaucrat // Topper6 = lvl 121 Nanomage Agent // Topper7 = lvl 147 Nanomage Doctor // Topper8 = lvl 90 Nanomage Nano-Technician // Topper 9 = lvl 42 Atrox Soldier // Topper 10 = lvl 10 Atrox Fixer (lowbie leveling) // Topper 11 = lvl 15 Atrox Enforcer (lowbie leveling) // Topper12 = lvl 24 Atrox Enforcer (lowbie leveling)

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Profession Changes
    Many of you have asked me about the balance act, and ideally all of the things we want to improve would come at the same time, but in reality things will have to be prioritized. So right now we are working on approving the suggested changes, making adjustments here and there, and indentifying in which order the changes should be released. Genele is currently buried in piles of documentation, and she is doing a great job leading these meetings and I definitely feel that we can do this, a little bit at a time.
    Does this mean that you are going back to an incremental approach, or that you are releasing some things for needed profs (e.g. *cough* MPs *cough* notcrats *cough*)? There's precious little to get excited about this game with all the distant hazy big dream developments far in the undated future
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Byste View Post
    the deadlines that we're getting now are a matter of *months* away.
    As were many of the previous deadlines...

Can we get some big rounds of applause and encouragement instead of rages from players that quit the game months ago? Honestly!
    Applause for what exactly? That they are almost ready to make the video they planned on delivering two years ago? A video showcasing the same engine they said would hit test server by Q2 2011 at the latest?
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Question

From a logistics perspective...
    I don't see how a server merge is possible since it would theoretically mean that FC would have to double the number of toons on an account. I know plenty of people with toons in both instances.
    Guapo - Advisor in Unity of The Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Cago30 View Post
    From a logistics perspective...
    I don't see how a server merge is possible since it would theoretically mean that FC would have to double the number of toons on an account. I know plenty of people with toons in both instances.
    It was already done when they closed DNW and successfully destroyed the german community. When you have more chars than slots you where able to transfer these chars to a sub account (which you have pay for) or forget the chars.
    Last edited by stormranger; Feb 2nd, 2012 at 15:12:59.
    127.0.0.1 sweet 127.0.0.1

*** Defence of Liberty ***
    welcome to the neutrals

If you wanna keep any players atall I suggest you get a f*ing move on!
    How long have you been talking soo sweetly about how great everything is going with the engine? and still, no signs of it getting on untill like next year or something.. Showing a pic here and an pic there isn't good enough.. What is it that you do with our monthly fees? Buy toiletpaper? Get a move on and stop sweet-talking..
    Welcome to the Internet. Where boys are boys,
    boys are men, and 14 year old girls are the FBI

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    Uh, no it doesn't, sorry but I'd like to play with some new people while I wait for those things.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stormranger View Post
    It was already done when they closed DNW and successfully destroyed the german community. When you have more chars than slots you where able to transfer these chars to a sub account (which you have pay for) or forget the chars.
    Oh my. I didn't realize that's what happened to the German Community. That's just terrible.

I happen to think this merge business is a bad idea anyway. It just ANOTHER unnecessary distraction to the development team IMHO.

I still think they need to work on new engine first closely followed by all the rebalancing mentioned.
    Guapo - Advisor in Unity of The Rose

This looks like going in the right direction ; i just hope it won't take too long, as the game is really empty atm (especially Rimor).
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

I wish FC had not stated that they were going to release a new engine so far long ago. They should have waited at least another 2 years since it was first suggested.

I wish people in this forum would show a bit more love to one another. It really gets tedious listening to people argue; though, I am expecting such to happen to me within the next few hours.

Wait what??

New engine November 2011:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/att...7&d=1319212246

New engine February 2012:

http://www.ao-universe.com/files/_up...screens/03.jpg

Something weird here?

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast