Thread: Add dmg patch ==> nano docs superceded?

Add dmg patch ==> nano docs superceded?

So, I just had a look at some of the nano documentation, for MA, shade and advy, and it's dawned on me that all of the work that went into those nano documentation was based on the balance of the game pre-add dmg patch.

So, is it just me, or could we have just witnessed the undoing of two years worth of balancing of perks and nanos under the previous game developer?

Determine average/max +damage at certain key levels
    Scale nano/perk damage accordingly
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I don't think this change invalidates the nano docs. It's something that only profs already meant to be damage dealers benefit from. So while shades, already intended to be damage dealers, get a lot of damage because of the 3 passive hit procs as well as the ton of hit perks, advies only have that one 5% proc and only a few damage perks, so they don't see as much gain from it.

Oh, and, two years worth of balancing? Don't be so nice and just call it what it is. A few months worth of work stretched across three years.
    Dat Nanomage posterior

Big deal, it will all be eventually invalidated with the breed change, all of which i already predicted in original breed change thread.

/credit

Not sure how anyone comes to that conclusion. Based on what has been released for MA's thus far, seems to me that the changes being implemented are inline with the direction for that profession. FC has always stated that the actual numbers in nanos/perks and such things would obviously be under review once implemented and tested in-game.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

In general if youre making a plan, you do do the blanket changes first, so that makes sense.

It just would have made more sense if FC said: ok, the first thing we're goign to do is some blanket changes, because we want to remove some modifiers in game that we feel aren't as useful as we'd like them to be: we're hoping the blanket changes will creat a more easily manipulated system such that we can control damage output on all profs slightly easier.

If they'd said that, I'd say cool! they have a plan.

But, thats not what they did: they planned out each profs nanos to near comprehensive state - which indicates a POST blanket change state of game.

But, then the blanket change occurs...

Anyhow, if "adjustments" do occur prior to launch, great, but i'm pretty sure the reason why there were various iterations of the nano docs, that essentially they were getting reviewed by us, the profs, and the devs all last year and the last few years.

Anyway, sure I agree they can be adjusted (obviously), but in general, BLANKET changes=spanners in the works.

Adjusting in itself is fine, except that original planning took 2 years and execution looks like it will take 4.

So (optimistically) one year to plan the adjustment plus 2 years to execute, followed by half a year to plan adjustement of adjustment and 1 year to execute, and we're looking at 2018 release date.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    In general if youre making a plan, you do do the blanket changes first, so that makes sense.
    There are alot of ways to do this. I'm in agreement with you on this one. I would love to see the things that seems the most problematic addressed first. my list starts with MR. Did they do that first? No and unfortunately, FC has their own agenda. The biggest consolation for me is that even though it's taken 2 years to start implementing these things and it may not be inline with player expectations, no one can sit there and say they did these documents and plans as simply posturing. The rebalance as we know it is happening here and now and will over a period of time as they can implement it. It might not be according to player priorities or within some player-imagined timeline but the things we are seeing are happening because of a rebalancing plan.

Not that it's worth much but for me, What i take from rebalance concept for MA's is that they will transition to hold a significant position in healing. I think it's reasonable to see that a single change adjusting their damage downwards is inline with that concept. Nothing here is finished and it's not unreasonable to think that while all this is in flux, alot of changes will seem nonsensical until more pieces fall into place. People simply don't seem to be able to discard what they think certain professions should be. It's evident form the MA feedback on the nano damage changes, it's the same with crat AOE fears. People need to come to terms with the fact that these changes are necessary to give professions a place in AO again, even if it contradicts their own ideals of what the profession should be. Think about the alternatives: MA's with some level of damage not getting teams or MA's with a healing option that are getting teams. It's a no brainer for me and if getting a healing option means a nerfed whatever, then that's not unreasonable.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jul 27th, 2012 at 01:24:11.

Obtena, I see what you're getting at, and I respect that position. However, I don't think I need to remind you (as IHAHN) just mentioned in the previous post about how long these things seem to take to get implemented.

Lets just recap, the adjustments we've seen to date are:

1. Advies given Lightstalker perkline to further make use of the stupid AS pistol and give them yet more offense, defence and perk damage in one fell swoop (hurrah. Slated as part of the "rebalance" despite obviously not being needed)
    1. Shade nemesis line is changed (Slated as part of "rebalance")
    2. Blanket adjustment (nowhere listed as part of "rebalance")
    3. Nerf the F*ck out of MA damage procs (nowhere listed as part of "rebalance")

Now, lets, for a moment pretend that FC's grand plan of rebalancing (or system changes) is, in fact occuring, and you are right. If it is occuring, FC has, so far, implemented one perk line cahnge, one nano change, one undocumented change, and one other change that wasn't in the document - in fact is completely reverse to what is in the document. [Note that at the time of the disharmony nerf, FC actually had the option to move TO the updated perkline, and they didn't, so this change was actually contrary to their own plan]

So, lets tally this up:

2 changes which can be chaulked up to the rebalance
    1 change which can not be attributed to the rebalance
    1 change to a perkline which is in reverse of the rebalance

All in, therefore, they have made a tiny bit of progress on the rebalance.

Provided the author has bias on point number 3, they have made progress on ONE nano and one perkline thus far.

Out of a possible say, 100 nanos per profession, 14 professions, and 4 perklines per profession, I'd say their progress to day, after roughly 3.5 years, is

(1 nano+1 perk line )/(100nanos*14profs+4perklines*14profs) = 0.12% completion.

If they continue at this rate, we can expect the rebalance to be completed in

3.5 year/0.0012= 2548 years.

Ok, assuming you were correct, and, they are "underway" I'm pretty sure they might need a bit of a kick in the pants to get going, because, I'm 100% sure my sub is going to run out before 2548 years is up, Heck, even your fanboi sub will probably be up by then.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Jul 27th, 2012 at 05:42:50. Reason: edited to include advy lightstalker line. Fricking advies getting more love again.

@ IHaHN: I will amend my future projections of the timeline based on your astute observations of some perk changes I had forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by bignick
    Even if hypothethically there was a plan (there's not) , it would be a damn stupid one. Nerfing AOE Fear will make sense in 2018? Great, what are Crats supposed to do meanwhile? Grow a beard? They rely on that thing to stay alive in open PvP, so i guess thats another class out of the way, and game is already so messed up there are maybe 4-5 viable professions.
    Well this is exactly why I've been complaining so hard about the disharmony problem. It's not like MA's are fun to play (PRE disharmony nerf), and now they are even worse. So I fully agree.

Of course, how could I forget about the lovechild profs.

You know what doesn't make sense in AO?

Thats little pea shooter pistols are the most powerful weapons in game, while big hulking awesome weapons like The Honed Edge of Tarasque is basically relegated to the "Unused" Backpacks and dusty corners of the bank.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Jul 27th, 2012 at 05:38:17.

Obtena, i had no idea FC was taking the MA porfession to hold a significant position in healing.

This news is really great, so MA will be close to healing what a Doc can do, i mean if MA are to be made useful in groups and raids (seeing MA's have poor dps for a DD profession) we would need to be close to the healing power of a Doc? otherwise why would you want an MA in a grp/raid? (sub-par dps, very little utilities)

This is exciting news!

Psst FC, might wanna change the description of the MA profession, cos if new players go by the description (When it comes to dishing out raw combat damage a Martial Artist outshines all other professions) they are going to be sorely disappointed.
    Last edited by NayNay9; Jul 27th, 2012 at 07:16:02.

^^ That is the information we have. I would take it with a bit of speculation though. It's rather old information and the GD has changed since then but it's all we know right now.