Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Monthly (ahem) Development Update - April 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    1080 * 10kb is 10mb. That's not a lot of data.
    chets is 256*128 pixels and (assuming rgba) that is 131kb of uncompressed data.
    with s3tc, its still about 22k :P

but true, those 120 man raids mostly happened around 2005, and cards of that age could handle that with ease.
    98-03 cards might have had to enable compression and get annoying doorlag though.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; May 30th, 2013 at 15:53:25.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    ti 400 mx doesnt exsist. ti means "good one" and mx means "bad one" :/
    Sorry mixed that up, its been some days since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    1080 * 10kb is 10mb. That's not a lot of data.
    Might sound not much and "640K ought to be enough for anybody" but AO is not known for being very well optimized and not everyone had a machine that was state of the art in the year 2000. Some where playing on 2-5 year old computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Garremp View Post
    Sorry mixed that up, its been some days since then.

Might sound not much and "640K ought to be enough for anybody" but AO is not known for being very well optimized and not everyone had a machine that was state of the art in the year 2000. Some where playing on 2-5 year old computers.
    In the year 2000 you didn't have the same issues as you did in 2005 with 120 people running in the same rather unoptimized zone and a engine that had been upgraded slighlty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    chets is 256*128 pixels and (assuming rgba) that is 131kb of uncompressed data.
    with s3tc, its still about 22k :P

but true, those 120 man raids mostly happened around 2005, and cards of that age could handle that with ease.
    98-03 cards might have had to enable compression and get annoying doorlag though.
    24 bit bitmap of that res with a bunch of different colors is 98kb, 16bit is 65kb. So yea, not 10kb, but not all that much really. Which is not taking into consideration that multiple instances of the same texture might not take up additional resources.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 30th, 2013 at 19:39:54.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

So disappointed seeing the same pictures from the "new engine" since 5 years... lol, sunken
    (online mostly at 17:00-20:00 GMT)

Minishot city farmer
    Fixking blitzer
    Eeneke + Eespy bank chars
    Ovvnz doc
    Cobby pvp engi soon
    Fiskarz tl3 pvp toon
    Maulix tl4 pvp toon
    Prazem tl5 pvp toon

>Frozen atm<

12 years. Not much has changed.

Having been a loyal supporter of FunCom throughout most of the games launched and avid follower

This is sad - but also a reality people have to face.

This is not much unlike instant ramen - instant karma.

Invest into Anarchy Online - so that the monthly payment subscriptions actually become justifiable.

To us - the customer. We pay; because we love the game.

It has a steep learning curve, a great deal of history not just lore but also history shaped by the players.

Now their has been some failures such as staff being moved around - goals for the game being changed and over-zealous directors deciding to implement things that are just pointless.

Just respect the game - and the love the players have for the game. Convince the suits that investing in Anarchy Online actually is a good investment, it has paid off for years it still gets you in the green in comparison to other major investments that basically has transformed the company to but a shade of its former prime.

Play the game - understand the game, perhaps even fall in love with the game and you'll surely understand the playerbase that much more.

*pokes head in*

What's up with my first online game crush ?
    Oh, the new engine is still work-in-progress ? Diablo3 and Duke Nukem Forever had better look out, Funcom wants a shot at the "When it's done" medals.

I hope it will still happen soon and it will be awesome. AO is like nothing else out there, you just can't make a decent Twink in any game out there like you can in AO

But.

If it doesn't happen soon, Jobe forgive me, I hope Funcom goes bankrupt and we'll see the AO IP on Kickstarter soon with a dedicated team of fans turned Dev to bring it into this tech age. This game deserves the attention of the masses, not because of a f2p gimmick but because of how frikkin awesome it is.

*is off to install AO again...and again, and again...*

Anarchy Online will go down in history like other games such as Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, and Deus Ex. If they ever come up in casual conversation, the earworm digs into the brain until the game is reinstalled and played for a lil while.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Garremp View Post
    80 polygons times 40 players are 1200 total (as a minimum, pande raids used to be much more crowded back then) opposed to 40 players and 120 polygons each are 4800 total (all rough estimates but no matter whats the exact number you get my point) and smaller IS better in that case. A rough difference of 75% matters. The first computer i played AO on was a celeron 466 mhz and either a voodoo 3 or a GeForce 2 Ti 400 MX (cant remember exactly). That is the kind of stoneage i am talking about. The dragon form might not be as "troll" as you would think because all that players using the same set of textures also helped AO because it always had been slow with hdd access and texture loading.
    Wow lol ao's character models are only 120 polys? Man graphics sure have come a long way. Game star citizen i pledged for says their character models are 100k polys and some of the larger ships 7m polys.

Just thought that difference 120 to 100k was funny.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910