Thread: Targeting pets by name

Targeting pets by name

I am playing an MP and usually send my kill pet in, cast Ferocity on it, tell my heal pet to heal my kill pet, and start nuking the target. Unfortunately this requires rather cumbersome switching between the mob and my pet. When I am in a subway tunnel my pet is often clipped beyond the walls and I only occasionally see it which makes it even harder to select. So, is there an easier way? Can I make a macro that targets my pet by name?

Open the pet window is one option, and that has all your pets with Attack, Follow, and Wait commands already there for each pet.

Another option is name specific macros. I name my MP pets Grumpy (attack pet), Happy (heal pet), and Sleepy (mezz pet), and my macros are pretty simple:

/macro HealMe /pet "Happy" heal Mpatrick = healing pet healing me
    /macro HealGr /pet "Happy" heal Grumpy = healing pet healing attack pet
    /macro Die /pet terminate = all pets go away

etc....

And you can write scripts as well with other commands, making the names have different colors, blah blah. Check the MP profession academy forums, lots of infoz there on thsi thing.

You can also hit shift+F1,F2,F3 for targeting attack, heal, mezz pet respectively.
    Last edited by Dogtrauma; Sep 20th, 2013 at 16:16:34. Reason: TL;DR'd myself in the knee
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by patrick187 View Post
    /macro HealMe /pet "Happy" heal Mpatrick = healing pet healing me
    /macro HealGr /pet "Happy" heal Grumpy = healing pet healing attack pet
    I tried these. I get "Invalid Pet command"

I'm pretty sure you cannot send healpet to heal someone putting the name alone. You need to select the ones you want to heal.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

You cannot select another toon/mob with a script. You can only select yourself.

My pets are called Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner (attack, mezz, heal). I use this script to put them all on /pet follow and let the heal pet heal myself. This is useful right after you zoned because otherwise the pets would aggro everything in sight while you just wanted to run through.

/pet "Breakfast" follow
    /delay 100
    /pet "Lunch" follow
    /delay 100
    /selectself
    /delay 100
    /pet "Dinner" heal
    I have a second script to put them on guard:

/pet "Breakfast" guard
    /delay 100
    /pet "Lunch" guard
    /delay 100
    /selectself
    /delay 100
    /pet "Dinner" heal
    If i want my heal pet to heal other pets I just select them via the pet window.

I have also a "panic button" to put my heal pet back to myself:

/selectself
    /pet "Dinner" heal

To let my pets attack I have two simple macros:

/macro attack /pet "Breakfast" attack
    /macro mezz /pet "Lunch" attack
    When I am soloing my heal pet is already set to either heal me or my attack pet (depending on the situation). I don't need an extra button for healing because the heal target doesn't change so often as the attack/mezz targets.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

My bad on targeting in a script. I never do it, since I have target cycling hotkeyed, and I just use pet window/macros with my target cycle to do my MP work. So those macro commands were guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick187 View Post
    My bad on targeting in a script. I never do it, since I have target cycling hotkeyed, and I just use pet window/macros with my target cycle to do my MP work. So those macro commands were guesses.
    My fingers too are "hard-coded" to their respective key strokes. Attacking mobs is an automatic process.

BTW, I forgot to mention teh most important macro of all: /assist

/assist not only works on friendly toons but also on pets. Use it to switch back and forth between your pet and the target it attacks. You can ALWAYS select your pet through the pet window and thus you can ALWAYS select the mob it attacks.

Maybe your mezz pet got aggro and got killed. Respawn it, select your attack pet, /assist (=switch to target), /pet attack

Or you are in a group with a tank. Select one mob, /assist (=it switches to the tank), /assist (=it switches to the mob the tank attacks), attack
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    BTW, I forgot to mention teh most important macro of all: /assist
    Yeah, I think for MMOs in general, certainly for AO, the generic /assist macro should be on every hotbar, on every toon, in every game....EVER.

On hotbar 1 in AO, it sits right underneath the attack button that I do have hotkeyed, but always have on the hotbar as well. And on the g13 home row, Attack is right under where my index finger hovers, and /Assist is the button just to the right.

Very helpful in general, but especially so for AO pet casting, which is probably the most involved pet caster play in any MMO.

Thank you very much guys. Too bad about no targeting, but your advice makes it workable.