Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 1st November 2013

Goodbay Nusquam.

Wait, this isn't another goodbay thread? Rarity color? Seriously guys?
    Dragocz RK1

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Why not do something to truly help new players like lowering the Subscription Fee / Adjusting the EU pricing model to encourage returning subscriptions?
    Some things the dev team can control, and some things they cannot. Subscription fees are not our decision - however I have presented these points from the players (on AoC as well) to the right people. I will continue to do so.

Experienced players will do more to help a new player than any amount of color coding.
    This is 100% correct but the inclusion of one does not exclude the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Some things the dev team can control, and some things they cannot. Subscription fees are not our decision - however I have presented these points from the players (on AoC as well) to the right people. I will continue to do so.
    This much I think we all understand. The issue is that if other problems were fixed such Dev projects wouldn't be needed.

This is 100% correct but the inclusion of one does not exclude the other.
    You're also correct, but having one addressed would diminish the need for the other to the point of irrelevancy.

I believe the feeling you're going to find here is that there's a lamentation of Dev resource hours being spent on projects like this and the Whom-Pahs.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

With 18.7 we will be introducing item rarity as a stat to the game. Obviously there are a huge amount of items that need to be updated, so with the first versions of 18.7 you can expect to see this only on a percentage of the items. However, as time passes, we should be able to get a good indication of item rarity across the game. Different colors will point to different degrees of rarity and the implementation will start with the items in the upcoming New Player Experience.
    Would this mean Team level will finally be of use at some point? 'Cause in my years of AO I've noticed... Nothing. It's useless

... and tweaking the reflect shield of The Beast so that it stops chain casting!
    Thank Monesvol.
    Protektor- Engydoggy- Spydoggy- RealMadrid - Some others.
    Rolling around RK since Dec 2001.
    ¡Se habla español!

Quote Originally Posted by Armus View Post
    I know this belongs in game suggestions.. But.. for those who are ig.. The economy.. jesus christ!
    The problem must be the cred sellers. 12 bucks for a bil... Chesus.

My suggestion is this.. Stop the froob program (I know, it hurts). And make a new sloob program. Make it cheap.. like 4.99 per month. But make the first 3 month like $12. Then the cred sellers will have to pay for each account they create. And it wont' be profitable if they have to.

Also make a shared org bank for like 500k items. And make a personal with 10k items. All searchable without AOIA.
    Not quite sure if that would be the way to stop cred selling, but I support stopping it 110%. These people have RUINED Anarchy Online and it's time they're put behind bars! (Ok, maybe not so much, but c'mon, something's gotta be done).

On the bank stuff: BUMP. Why does FunCom continue to support third parties to do what is only logical they do themselves. AUNO, Helpbot, AOIA, Nano Nanny (am I too old school for you kids), ClickSaver and all those maps... I bet if those weren't free from players FC would've already put somebody to work so they could charge themselves for it.
    ¡Se habla español!

I know this belongs in game suggestions.. But.. for those who are ig.. The economy.. jesus christ!

My suggestion is this.. Stop the froob program (I know, it hurts). And make a new sloob program. Make it cheap.. like 4.99 per month. But make the first 3 month like $12. Then the cred sellers will have to pay for each account they create. And it wont' be profitable if they have to.

Also make a shared org bank for like 500k items. And make a personal with 10k items. All searchable without AOIA.
    Good bunch of suggestions. However, AO should have a free Trail period of, lets say 14 days. Like a lot other mmorpgs have.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Quote Originally Posted by Shareida View Post
    Good bunch of suggestions. However, AO should have a free Trail period of, lets say 14 days. Like a lot other mmorpgs have.
    How would that work, the toons would be locked then...

Froob is quite close of it...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Eh rarity color coding? Is it just me or does that seem rather simplistic. Something youd see in some run of the mill fantasy game. Thats not why i like AO...

Also beta signups were mentioned 2 months ago and still nada. And at least partly because time is being wasted on.....color coding? Sigh

The problem is, as soon as you allow that, you get the cred sellers.

The problem is, as soon as you allow that, you get the cred sellers.
    Umm we don't have those yet?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.

Jesus freaking christ, Shar... I remember teaming with you on my enf, Protektor. Going to Foreman's and SW/NW mines and Lush Fields, like back in 2003/2004 jajaja. Good to see one of those people who I had such a good time with back then are still around.
    ¡Se habla español!

I'm seeing a lot of changes to "Benefit new players" which appear to be of questionable value...

This color coding scheme, needless changes to the whom-Pahs...

Why not do something to truly help new players like lowering the Subscription Fee / Adjusting the EU pricing model to encourage returning subscriptions?

Experienced players will do more to help a new player than any amount of color coding.

I couldnt say better.

+1

Perfect.
    +1

Hi everyone,
    Hope you all have been having fun with the Halloween events and gotten your hands quite a few special treats this year. Due to some small hiccups we have extended the Halloween event until the 11th of November to make sure everyone gets a chance to join in.

Thanks for listening
    Joel
    Nice update

However, not to be picky or anything ...

Halloween events were originally scheduled to run thru Nov 5th (I assume the end of the day?), adding an additional week was previously mentioned by Genele to help offset the various issues and the two downtimes, that would take us to the end of Nov 12th ... hint, hint.

Liwa

I think people complaining about item rarity are just being foolish/stubborn and insistent on rebelling against anything WoW-related. Good change IMO. Would be great to know -- at a glance -- if a drop you just got from a dynacamp was actually rare or not, without having to look it up on Auno. Doesn't have to imply that it's actually useful or not.

Due to some small hiccups we have extended the Halloween event until the 11th of November to make sure everyone gets a chance to join in.
    Does this include the subscription offer?

Also, November is spelled wrong in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    By rarity, is it a literal % drop chance from the loot table or is it going to be more along the lines of TSW's 'rarity' and give an indicator as to item power vs it's QL/equip reqs?
    The fact that it is being done mostly manually should tell you it's not by straight drop rate.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    If anyone has missed the Freudian slip.. Where is the hope for this game?
    "Usage statistics will allow us to follow the trends in the auction house and make adjustments accordingly."
    Why? It is an auction house, but with a more sci-fi skin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    The main purpose of this is to provide an indicator to help you figure out which items you should blindly sell to a vending machine and which you should not. (I have heard too many sad stories about new players who sold grid armor to a vending machine...). This is not to help high levels or to dictate what items anyone should use. Ao is and will always be sandbox. It is about helping new players so they don't do something stupid that they will regret.

As for details: we will use the colors on the item name in the info view and in list view:

Grey - vendor trash
    White - item that has a tradeskill, stats or a purpose.
    Orange - items that are hard to come by or is very expensive to buy from a vending machine. This item must have a purpose or be one of the result items in a tradeskill process that eventually results in an orange item.
    Blue (same color as the quest npc names) - Quest items.
    Yellow - not defined yet or unknown. (Yellow is the color we use on item names today)

We have considered renaming "Rarity" to "Item Type" as QL is already a rarity indicator. This is still work in progress.
    Would you consider also editing the values so that the vendor trash quality is actually worth picking up and selling to a vendor? Selling a QL50 weapon to a vendor for 30 creds is a sick joke.

"This is white and thus I shouldn't vendor it" vs "Oh you shouldn't have vendored that item. Oh well, too late now, sorry, bud."

Quote Originally Posted by Cariadast View Post
    Just because you say its trade skillable, to me may be trash.
    Just because you consider it trash doesn't mean it's suddenly not used in a tradeskill. You're not that important.

AO did have a free trial, 7 days in 2001, changed to 14 days in 2004, then changed to the froob program a month later. AO was the first MMO to offer 7 day free trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Umm we don't have those yet?
    The whole point of my suggestion was that if there are no froob accs, the cred sellers will have to pay for at least a sloob acc after each time they get banned.

The whole point of my suggestion was that if there are no froob accs, the cred sellers will have to pay for at least a sloob acc after each time they get banned.
    So just say let's kill froobs...

Which is rather horrible idea unless there is some cheap alternative for currently paying players which rely on froob alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    So just say let's kill froobs...

Which is rather horrible idea unless there is some cheap alternative for currently paying players which rely on froob alts...
    Did you read my original post? I suggested an enlarged, searchable bank, as well as an org bank. That should take care of the mule problem.

Ofcourse that wouldn't solve every other concievable issue. But right now I think something needs to be done. It seems clear to me that somehow these guys (cred sellers) are pumping huge ammounts of creds into the game. Yesterday I sold a cm piece for 500m, a few weeks ago a friend sold a full css set for 14 billion creds. It's beyond nuts now.

Just sayin.

Did you read my original post? I suggested an enlarged, searchable bank, as well as an org bank. That should take care of the mule problem.

Ofcourse that wouldn't solve every other concievable issue. But right now I think something needs to be done. It seems clear to me that somehow these guys (cred sellers) are pumping huge ammounts of creds into the game. Yesterday I sold a cm piece for 500m, a few weeks ago a friend sold a full css set for 14 billion creds. It's beyond nuts now.

Just sayin.
    14b? LOL quite the exaggeration. 300 CSS goes for 1-1.2b a piece. At most thats 8.4b.

Agreed thats outrageous but it isnt 14b lol.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast