Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – 29th of November, 2013

Hmm, yeah I would have thought those of us that had been part of the other closed beta's through the years would have gotten invites. I gave 3.5 years of AO on test server and was in closed beta for NW, SL and AI. I have had 12 month sub going for a while as well. No invite yet.

So those invited already must have something really special.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Or perhaps the opposite? Perhaps they have really terrible machines on which they'd like the new engine to be tested.

It would be nice if FC announce when this round of invites is concluded - it would stop the daily dose of minor disappointment when i check my inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofat View Post
    Or perhaps the opposite? Perhaps they have really terrible machines on which they'd like the new engine to be tested.

It would be nice if FC announce when this round of invites is concluded - it would stop the daily dose of minor disappointment when i check my inbox.

me checking my inbox

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofat View Post

I knew I should have done it with my laptop or the very old rig used to have ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Announcing that beta invites are ordered by subscription period is just bad PR. While there may well be a good correlation between 12-month subs and level of involvement by the person, FC -announcing- that is just sending the wrong message and creating negative karma in an otherwise positive announcement. There have been people who have played steadily for years paying 3 months at a time, for example, and are equally suitable testers.
    Exactly, also sticking to some morale principles, rather then coming across as a desperate money leeching company it has been since the release of the item shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Hmm, yeah I would have thought those of us that had been part of the other closed beta's through the years would have gotten invites. I gave 3.5 years of AO on test server and was in closed beta for NW, SL and AI. I have had 12 month sub going for a while as well. No invite yet.

Or they are just saying it, to buy more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Armus View Post
    The fact remains, after 6 years, what we have is a few short youtube vids* and a few pictures. All of which could have been easily been rendered in 3DS or whatever.

6 years is a long time to wait when all you're given is "evidence" that could so easily have been forged.

A few videos could easily dispel ALL of this speculation. So what exactly is keeping FC from posting a few ones here and there?

*The "newest" vid is what, 18 months old now?

ps. To those who are making up excuses as to how a new video could reveal new secret details. Well.. why did they release a vid 2 years ago then? Wouldn't that have been much worse?
    First Video I uploaded onto Youtube of the engine update 21st/jan/2008
    Second Video 1st/april/2012

It would be nice to see some screen shots, and Especially a Video, than a wall of text which people are now in disbelief what they read... what happened to the new head meshs and some of the other stuff that was finished and not implemented in to the game or updates since.

I agree it will take more then just graphics to Save Ao, it needs to be competitive on it's price, they don't even hand out free monthly subs for inactive accounts anymore, i was gone 26months didn't receive one to come back and have a look what's changed (probably not much tbh) but before I took breaks and after 2-3months was invited back to play with a free month, which led to me playing for months after paying to play again... We defiantly need a rebalance tbh this should of been done before the release of this engine, it would of kept people happy especially the vets who've got tired of the game been in this state for sooo long.. I understand the new player experience, along with vendor items been changed to suit the game better then been just junk it's much needed also...just get stable engine out, with player experience, focus on a rebalance, send out some free monthly subs to inactive accounts, Hire some people to work on this game, then update the game consistently in the monthly updates (trees, buildings, RK/SL missions.. show us what the new engine can do other then the bland repeated old textures we see now) also advertise get it back up and running on Steam.. any progress on where that is, best to wait after rebalance and gfx update and price of subscription changes?
    Last edited by Legion84; Dec 5th, 2013 at 14:23:41.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualinas
    You're kinda slow, aren't you, Mr. Nov09?

Well, its not everyday when I google for funcom or access funcom.com.
    Oh noes j00 want me to bring my "Join date: 2004" main to pwn yo? lols @ forum pvp

The next thing will be pay for 12 months get an exclusive 2 minute demo video and photos. When you do it will be the 2008 video lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Humlee View Post
    I'd actually say quite the contrary to everything you pointed out.
    I insist on my point. If I'm playing the beta, and my dozens of friends who are thinking of coming back when the engine releases ask how it's going, and I tell them "it's ok, but the mobs look derpy and theres all sorts of artifacts and I keep getting stuck in geometry etc etc etc" many of them will say f that and keep on playing wow or whatever, even if FC is ultimately able to work that stuff out. It will be poisoned in many people's minds (more than it already is) and (perhaps) unfairly so. A lot of people tend to make up their minds all at once and not be budged later.
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Trypha View Post
    I insist on my point. If I'm playing the beta, and my dozens of friends who are thinking of coming back when the engine releases ask how it's going, and I tell them "it's ok, but the mobs look derpy and theres all sorts of artifacts and I keep getting stuck in geometry etc etc etc" many of them will say f that and keep on playing wow or whatever, even if FC is ultimately able to work that stuff out. It will be poisoned in many people's minds (more than it already is) and (perhaps) unfairly so. A lot of people tend to make up their minds all at once and not be budged later.
    I literally STILL get stuck in geometry entirely too often, just by running around. New engine won't change any of the bull**** thats been around for ages imo :/
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

First, good news, good luck with the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Announcing that beta invites are ordered by subscription period is just bad PR. While there may well be a good correlation between 12-month subs and level of involvement by the person, FC -announcing- that is just sending the wrong message and creating negative karma in an otherwise positive announcement. There have been people who have played steadily for years paying 3 months at a time, for example, and are equally suitable testers.

Better criteria would be sheer longevity (by paying subscribers) in addition to also getting in certain hardware configurations they really want to test out, and the Devs would be best off not detailing what criteria they are using to pull ppl into the beta period.
    I can only and sadly agree.

I have been a paid customer since 2001 without any break and with maybe a grand total of 25ish not-played days over this time, but paying monthly for personal reasons. (Not to mention TSW or AoC accounts)

During this time, I developed a database system for FC's devs, mentioned several times in the past in FWM, and cataloged -with the help of a tiny team including Dagget- all the misplaced objects on RK and a part of SL. I tested the first Dailies with Lindelu and Michizure, and other stuff that is pointless to list.

And, guess what? I'm not the only one who have been there for years and who has worked to help AO. There are many nice, even great people around who showed incredible dedication to AO and don't necessarily pay for 12 or 6 months.

I was somewhat sad to see that I was (we are) actually at the bottom of the tokens of appreciation ladder.

I want to believe it's only a glitch due to the precipitation in finally setting the engine beta up?
    Chrisax
    MP 220, AL 30, Research 70, active, Born on Rimor
    In AO since 2001
    Founder and elected President of Athen Paladins
    www.athenpaladins.org
    Member of the Clerical Staff of the Council of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    The next thing will be pay for 12 months get an exclusive 2 minute demo video and photos. When you do it will be the 2008 video lol.
    So no "resaonable" payment of 12000 Paid Points for entry, in immediated future? ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunktion View Post
    I literally STILL get stuck in geometry entirely too often, just by running around. New engine won't change any of the bull**** thats been around for ages imo :/
    They might have gotten around to fix some spots while some zones are re-exported... Though I don't have too much hope on that, if they just fixed the not stuck while falling issue...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by User1337 View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Well, the Apollo program took 8 years to put man in the moon... it's all relative!

Semi-off topic: Broken sarcasm detectors seem to put out a nasty smell.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisax View Post
    I want to believe it's only a glitch due to the precipitation in finally setting the engine beta up?
    We're all believing this, Chris. Belief tho... Oh, belief.
    Protektor- Engydoggy- Spydoggy- RealMadrid - Some others.
    Rolling around RK since Dec 2001.
    ‘Se habla espaρol!

I'm glad the update is finally coming. I can't believe people are fussing so much to be in beta; beta testing is a job. Here's my request: don't ask me to run around in this world until beta testers have already smoothed out most of the kinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post
    Jesus, stop bloody complaining? I find someone paying 12 months (and playing 12 months) more loyal than some guy who decides to pay one month every year or so, am I wrong?

Be happy they finally announce a beta, I mean, that's a milestone right there!

Also, it is probably the easiest way to hand out beta-keys, instead of checking every players subscription history.
    +1 for sure
    Omni Soldier 220/30/70
    Alt: Chemineer - Omni engineer 220/23/64
    Alt: Chemitor - Omni doctor 220/26/70
    Alt: Chemicrat - Omni Crat 220/20/46
    Alt: Chemysicist - Omni MP 220/17/18
    Alt: Chemitech - Omni NT 220/13/52
    Alt: Chemiforcer - Omni Enforcer 220/16/20
    Alt: Chemiture - Omni Adventurer 220/16/36
    Alt: Chemi007 - Omni Agent 150/12/11
    Alt: Chemikeeper - Omni Keeper 7/0/1
    Member of Core (Former Horizon, Former Nemesis of Chaos, Former United, former Legion, former The BlackHand,former Elysium, former Rubi-Ka Elite Force)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...v/exercise.png

Guess it's finally time to try AO out again...
    歯ブラシ.........
    Chaotic Order *AP*.....
    Durtycalm - 060|05|14 - Crat .| Doctor - 56|16|220 - Durtyheals....
    Gaara - 110|11|28 - Meta .| Keeper - 58|20|220 - Tsuyoi....
    Durtysnipe - 076|08|21 - Agent |. Fixer - 60|18|213 - Durtymeep......

I must say I fail to see any kind of 'appreciation' in this decision about priority.

I am a paying member for 10 years without even a single day interruption.
    My only mistake was I wasn't sure I could provide the high 1-time payment each year (half year) from my limited monthly income back then, thus sticked to "3 month recurring" for the time being, and over the last years when my salary had become far big enough never thought about changing it. I loved this game! I was fine with paying the 'higher' price to say thanks!

Up to now I was at 164,92€*I paid each year in sum, over 10 whole years, and I always only got punished for it. This was seriously the last time I paid this company that much money for only negatives in return.

I am now going to reduce my yearly payment down to the regular 109,71€ all those "12 month" subscribers pay. I cannot and will not understand why paying 55,21€ "LESS" each year is considered more loyal than what I did, but so be it. You don't want me to pay this money, you won't get it anymore.

That was an expansive lesson learned for sure. "Pay more, get less" surely wasn't what I expected.
    Be glad I still love this game too much, or you would've lost a 10-year loyal customer over this nonsense now as well. So you only loose +55€ a year now instead, and quite a bit of my respect.

P.S.: Just so we are clear, this is not about only the beta. It was simply the last nail in the coffin.

Really, aren't ALL subscriptions based on the "pay less, get more" framework? I don't find it surprising. The reasoning as to why that is isn't hard to understand.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisax View Post
    What does the weather have to do with this ;X

Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    I'm glad the update is finally coming. I can't believe people are fussing so much to be in beta; beta testing is a job. Here's my request: don't ask me to run around in this world until beta testers have already smoothed out most of the kinks.
    This whole beta situation is a bit baffling to me also. Both players being mad about not getting access and Funcom attempting to "sell" beta invites by promising it to people who purchase 12 month subscriptions first. It's a beta test right?

They don't really want to test, they just want to see the newer but still horribly outdated graphics since it took them so dang long.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast