Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – 31st of December, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Khrystanna View Post
    So where can we find exact information about this beta engine?
    It has been close to one month now and I am unable to find anything...
    What exact info is it that you want?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    What exact info is it that you want?
    Why haven't I received an invite yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Why haven't I received an invite yet?
    I also check my mail/account several times per day

<Insert witty quote here>

Blondenurse :: 220/30/67 :: doc
    Decepticon :: 220/30/70 :: adv
    Icingdeath :: 200/16/36 :: adv
    Sykebil :: 148/xx/xx :: doc
    -------------------------------------
    And many other alts

Do you check your account page?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

you mean on register.funcom.com? yeah

<Insert witty quote here>

Blondenurse :: 220/30/67 :: doc
    Decepticon :: 220/30/70 :: adv
    Icingdeath :: 200/16/36 :: adv
    Sykebil :: 148/xx/xx :: doc
    -------------------------------------
    And many other alts

And Here. We. go.

Well this has been a long time coming

I started this game back in 2003. Loved it and keep coming back since then. I'm from the EU and never breached more than sl00b because of their ridiculous payment. You know AO is currently the most expensive EU subscription MMO right now and for atleast the past 7+ years?

Anyway I started looking back about a year ago because the 3D engine actually gaining hype + they announced steam integration.

A Year later, nothing lol, I still check these forums because it takes this game to shut down for me to stop caring, but every post for a while is a kick in the teeth.

I guess the point in this post is to let devs & players there's still interest out there, but you need to start caring like players do.

Awol
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 25th, 2014 at 21:38:37. Reason: edited for profanity

Quote Originally Posted by Awolol View Post
    Well this has been a long time coming

I started this game back in 2003. Loved it and keep coming back since then. I'm from the EU and never breached more than sl00b because of their ridiculous payment. You know AO is currently the most expensive EU subscription MMO right now and for atleast the past 7+ years?

Anyway I started looking back about a year ago because the 3D engine actually gaining hype + they announced steam integration.

A Year later, nothing lol, I still check these forums because it takes this game to shut down for me to stop caring, but every post for a while is a kick in the teeth.

I guess the point in this post is to let devs & players there's still interest out there, but you need to start caring like players do.

Awol
    I don't think the problem lies in the devs not caring, but that management, investment and marketing don't care all that much. If what we're seeing now is the work of 2 people, consider what 15 people could do with updating the beta in 6 months :| even if it took them the first 2 months to get introduced to the way AO development works and how things are done, and that 2 months would have no development whatsoever because the current 2,5 AO devs would be spending all their time introducing and helping the new people, we'd still have 4 months of productivity from 6 times as many people :|
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jan 25th, 2014 at 21:38:50.
    The Red Brotherhood

Yeah few devs, lot of work. My hope is new engine + steam bring new player--> new $$ for funcom --> new stuff to do --> more devs --> better stuff --> more player --> so on.

Yup, the size (or rather, the lack of it) of the dev team affects things a lot. It's not the only problem though - it's easy to see that quite often they simply do not know/understand what's happening in the game, or how things work. Happens when you don't play your own game. Take the SB+OS combo as an example from some years ago, or the 207 situation atm. In a way, making things worse is easy - either the management forces devs to do something, or if it doesn't cost much, they can screw up on their own. But to get something fixed/changed, one has to first get the devs convinced it's a good idea, and then the devs would need permission from the management if it takes more than few mins (=$$) - which, given FC's financial status, isn't that easy...

Succesful relaunch could help with the $$ side, but if that money allows them to grow the team again, I really hope they'd take someone who plays at least semi-actively and has endgame char.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Gimpynoob; Jan 26th, 2014 at 09:15:10. Reason: Nobody cares.

The Red Brotherhood

I actually agree with some of this article. I've played other games over the years and the most I generally expect from game developers when changes are made are some sort of semi-intelligent statement regarding the thought process behind them. I generally don't post on other game forums with ideas or suggestions for change unless it is a bug which I post in the appropriately labeled forum area.

Being perfectly honest, I prefer the games where the developers do what they want, let the players know about changes and provide a bit of explanation regarding theory and that's that. I'm not a game developer and even though I've voiced plenty of concerns over the years, I prefer not to to play one on a game forum. I'd really just prefer to play a game that works in a way that I enjoy (or can accept) and not have to provide a bunch of feedback one way or the other. I don't mind reporting bugs but I really would prefer to not have to do that very often either. It's also one of the reasons why I don't like beta testing games. I can't think of a single game that I beta tested and then eventually went on to play the game when it hit live. Providing feedback, looking for bugs, making suggestions.. that's the quickest way to suck the fun straight out of a game for me. I just want a fun finished product and I don't mind paying for it as long as its entertaining for me.

So I have to ask myself why is AO different and I think it is the environment that the game developers themselves set with the game over time along with the fact that the game is just old and been poorly maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ignorance of Crowds
    People wanted raids! People wanted guilds! People wanted customisable pets! People wanted more of the MMOs they were already playing because they knew they already liked those! People are idiots! We shouldn’t ever listen to people!
    Interesting statement and I see what the author means as it relates to SWTOR (that I am currently playing). When a developer decides to include or exclude content because they have some big picture view of the game and want to maintain the integrity of the original idea, I think they absolutely should do what they want, player feedback be damned. BUT AO is a different animal.

Many of the suggestions for change that are posted/screamed for/etc are features that come as a standard part of the toolset of almost every other MMO and I can't believe they aren't being added simply due to them being out of synch with the developer's vision for Anarchy Online. Use, for example, the fact that we still do not have an org item bank. I can't think of a game that I've played in the last 5-7 years that has a guild structure but lacks this basic guild management tool. So, yep, I agree with the author of the article in that devs shouldn't include things that are standard expectations just because people expect them if they detract from or change the environment they wish to provide in their game's vision.. this does not apply to most of what people complain about in AO.

A lot of the other changes that are asked for are almost common-sense changes that players seemingly have to request because for some reason the developers of the game don't seem to recognize issues within their own game. I think this is what fuels the perception some players have that the game developers don't play their own game. I happen to think that's silly, but I understand why people feel that way. Some years back I remember having an issue that required Means to have to mail me several items. He actually voiced a complaint to me regarding how irritating it was to mail multiple items. It is something that we, as players, deal with everyday and I found it amusing yet sad that the game director was voicing irritation with a game function that players are also constantly annoyed by, as if it were something new. Another recent example is the change to the beast reflect shield. If the game devs are playing the game and doing beast raids, I'm not sure how it took close to a year to start working on a fix for something they botched. Not going to get on another soap box about it but those types of things make me feel, as a player, that they are not quite in touch with the realities of the game they program.

Anyway, once a player starts to feel that the game development team is out of touch and the employees of that game start encouraging feedback and recognizing that they don't always know.. its a slippery slope that gets you to where we are today regarding AO's development and player perception. There are an uncountable number of situations where it was clear the dev team messed up. You don't have to look far back to find blatant problems.. just take a look at whatever holiday or anniversary you choose to find a simple example. Players loose confidence in the dev team when simple things go unfixed or are completely botched.. it fuels the perception that the devs don't know what they're doing when you already have a semi-hostile playerbase (and ex-playerbase) over so many other issues.

And there also lies another problem. I really believe that the developers of AO (past and present) have really cared about the game. I strongly believe their passion for the game far exceeds that of even the most passionate player. That being said, they'd all be better off if they stopped posting on the forums and left all of the communication to a single Funcom employee with the talent and experience to properly word things in a way that isn't a marketing nightmare. Sometimes I read posts from funcom employees and cringe at what is said because I can't believe an employee of a company would even write the things that they write. The devs of this game have always had the human factor (meaning we see them as people just not some anonymous developers) and that has actually done more to hurt the community than help, imo.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jan 26th, 2014 at 19:46:44.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

As the last week of January i think we should receive invite soon.

I dont know why, but something tells me that Funcom has encountered unexpected problems and will most likely postpone the invites till who-knows-when. As a small compensation we will get a few points. :|

Well they will have to do stress-test somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I actually agree with some of this article. I've played other games over the years and the most I generally expect from game developers when changes are made are some sort of semi-intelligent statement regarding the thought process behind them. I generally don't post on other game forums with ideas or suggestions for change unless it is a bug which I post in the appropriately labeled forum area.
    I like that article too and agree with most of Traderjill post too.

However there are few very important points or I would even say dilemas:
    AO is one of the most complicated/dificult MMORPGs on the market and that has two major results:
    1. Players who like it very often become loyal long term paying customers
    2. New players especially kids do not like it, they do not understand too many things and are too lazy to do some research for them it is easy decision - its a crap, booring game, with old graphics etc.

New engine is something aimed at attracting new players and hopefully regaining some returning players, but there are again 2 problems:
    1. For new players AO with new engine will still be too complicated and will end up as - crap, booring game, with new graphical engine.
    2. The returning players would expect apart from new engine also some reballancing and new content but they will not like any major changes to make AO easier, less complicated for new players because if that happens AO will be considered by them as too dumb to play.

FC made/tried to make 2 other MMORPGs aimed at mass customer:Age of Conan and The Secret World they both seemed to be very succesfull at start and both failed very fast with a lot of players trying it for few months then leaving and never coming back.

I think that AO will never attract hundreds thousands of players or millions !
    FC should accept that and be happy with having one of the best niche MMORPGS and the most loyal community of players rather then make plans how to attract millions of new players ...
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Well we need more player, anyway this game don't aim to kids and will never be. It's and was only for people with a brain that want to understand stuff. They should explain stuff, and they should let veterans to talk with noobies(OOC chats). Even if i'm playing this game for over that 10 years, i'm not a pro player like many other out there, but i've helped some new player to make them enjoing the game abandon game.

Quote Originally Posted by djcenox View Post
    Well we need more player, anyway this game don't aim to kids and will never be. It's and was only for people with a brain that want to understand stuff. They should explain stuff, and they should let veterans to talk with noobies(OOC chats). Even if i'm playing this game for over that 10 years, i'm not a pro player like many other out there, but i've helped some new player to make them enjoing the game abandon game.
    I think a lot of us were quite young when AO came out, I've grown up next to it hehe
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Hey ''traderjill'' has made a nice post here !
    its worth a Harlemshake (Oo)
    .....''Harlemshaking''......
    In the subway goes the keepers

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast