Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – 31st of December, 2013

If the invite comes later than January, something has to give. A company failing to deliver on a promise and then trying their best to make up for it is nothing new. Most classy move would be a refund on the sub price without freezing the sub. 5 days left without any communication as to why this taking so long - I expect something good if it comes to that.

I think it's pretty certain the engine launch will cause a huge surge of players, probably mostly returning ones; the question is whether they stay for very long. I know a lot of people who quit because they basically played the game out and got bored, but would return now and be able to play the game fresh, and they're looking for an excuse, which the engine provides. I know from reading comments on the videos/screencaps that some people expected a full upgrade of all art and such, and those people might not stick around; some people who are obsessed with the balance problems and such might not stick around; but FC will be infused with cash from the initial wave of subs and that might allow them to do a booster or something. Let's hope.
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Trypha
    but FC will be infused with cash from the initial wave of subs and that might allow them to do a booster or something. Let's hope.
    I just hope Funcom will allocate the influx of money into AO and not just pump it into lego online or whatever.

<Insert witty quote here>

Blondenurse :: 220/30/67 :: doc
    Decepticon :: 220/30/70 :: adv
    Icingdeath :: 200/16/36 :: adv
    Sykebil :: 148/xx/xx :: doc
    -------------------------------------
    And many other alts

FC will get some new players who will leave after they discover the other problems with the game. A new glossy engine will only place us in line with the 5,000 Korean mmos on the market that use graphics and shiny things to cover for poor workmanship and game design.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondenurse View Post
    Well said.

I just hope Funcom will allocate the influx of money into AO and not just pump it into lego online or whatever.
    They won't pump it into Lego Online...they'll pump it into an entirely new MMO! They already did Conan, but I hear the Barsoom series doesn't have an MMO yet!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    FC will get some new players who will leave after they discover the other problems with the game. A new glossy engine will only place us in line with the 5,000 Korean mmos on the market that use graphics and shiny things to cover for poor workmanship and game design.
    I couldn't disagree with this more. AO is not poorly designed and has for the most part for years provided a nice looking and very rich in content game to play. The new look with the coming engine can only make it better. Seems someone got up on the wrong side of the bed

I don't think a new graphics engine is what keeps players. Game play and replay-ability is what keeps people. If graphics were the most important thing, we wouldn't have a gazzillion different LEGO games flying off the shelves.

Rebalance is what's needed to breathe new life into AO.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

And AO survives yet another batch of MMOs http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...wizardry-more/
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Vanguard was so promising and then when it launched and during its first few months it just toppled due to bugs and a gold dupe. I dont know how long it took them to stop the hemorrhaging but at that point it was too late. In the end though, Vanguard was just another WoW clone and as for the others listed, I never played them.

However, what the one dev said about why Vanguard is being shut down is pretty honest and straightforward. It almost seems like it would be something FC would say as to why they would shut AO down. I mean really, how many times have we been met with the responses of "we cant do that, AO's code doesn't work that way" "Due to how AO's code work, it is hard to develop things in a timely manner" blah blah blah more code excuses.

Here we go. 29th! They have 2day to respect their promises.

And whatever you say, i can understand that most of people here are not here for graphics itself(maybe all) but even EO had a stunning restyling + steam launch that made that more interesting for new people.
    Ofcourse AO is AO they cannot change that to a simply-wow-like-game like most are around here, and i'm happy to pay for a game that still make me to think when i make new character. Ofcorse to that that made 4x14 characters suiting all combination with profs/breed and win the great challenge of alpha symbs are "bored" about nothing new, bored about doing bazzit quest and bored about jobe scientists and so on. But hey, isn't those think you like about this game? So shouldn't complain.
    Many of those suggestion given to FC are like: "remove that, semplify that".
    I'm glad that FC will not hear those kind of stuff.

Yes we want rebalance. We want to be able to play succesfully with all kind of character.
    Honestly i don't think is something possible, BUT they should add new stuff siutable for other profs, for example 12m is keeper useful.(Maybe not only 1 )

We all know that WE made AO to survive. So i guess that in FC time(that is "little" different than normal time) we will have response. And if we are still here talking about is because we really care about this.

Anyway if you think that graphics doesn't matter, think about that when ao starts all games around was pretty same, not so good graphic so it didn't matter, and you started this kind of game even if is complicated and maybe you were 14-15+ years old, and you liked this game even if most of your friends not.

Now check around yourself about what other games offers. New graphics is for sure something that will attract new people, and if they like this kind of game they will stay.

Funcom employee

Please note those invited to the beta are covered under NDA.
    They won't be able to tell those outside of the beta they have been invited.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    So the people who read and believed this "Anyone who has signed up for six months of Membership will receive guaranteed access to the Closed Beta in January." should expect an invite during January still? To be fair you still have a couple of days to keep your word.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT

Simply those who are invited will stop complaining here

Vhab - with the latest news, mabe you and your fellow devs should concider lifting a wee bit on the NDA to show us - the players - who pay your salary - that there's actually some progress going on and FC are still able to deliver what is promised?

In my honest opinion, it now seems like FC is trying to prey on their only source of stable income to satisfy the investors/owners as much as they can before fleeing the sinking ship...
    Perky - 220 dmg freak crat
    Bitcrusher - 220 MP
    Shadowofbit - 220 Shade - It's best from behind!!!
    Advocrusher - 200 Lovechild
    Wdfourty - levling engie
    Docfoo - 165 Doc twink - Retired
    ----

Photos or a small video? Are a few "new" photos too much to ask?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by perky View Post
    who pay your salary
    I'm not currently employed by Funcom.
    I just lurk the forums and are able to clarify things here and there.

However, those that believe they should have received an invite and haven't always can poke customer service for some clarification.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Well some new images would be really appreciated, but i think we will have that in the next montly devel upd. Anyway we are at the end, 1-2 days of waiting aren't changing my life.

Vhab keep up good work!

And in other news, AO has once again missed out on a 'Choose my Adventure' run by the staff at Massively by 3 votes. AOC got disqualified for perceived ballot-stuffing and EQ1 was next up, 3 votes ahead of AO. Same thing happened in an earlier CMA where DAOC nipped AO by 3 votes, what are the odds?
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

btw people could tell that they have received a beta invite, they are are only under the nda once they accept it, right?
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    And in other news, AO has once again missed out on a 'Choose my Adventure' run by the staff at Massively by 3 votes. AOC got disqualified for perceived ballot-stuffing and EQ1 was next up, 3 votes ahead of AO. Same thing happened in an earlier CMA where DAOC nipped AO by 3 votes, what are the odds?
    Would rather hold off on that until after NPE and engine at least. Ideally after balance changes too but meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Keex View Post
    btw people could tell that they have received a beta invite, they are are only under the nda once they accept it, right?
    If you got an invite you have already accepted the NDA. You can always say you've gotten an invite but your post will most likely be deleted

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast