Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arete quest list

Aquest is getting a lot more use since Steam came out.

After parking there a couple of hours to answer some questions ... a few things that might be useful to add. Some of these might already be there, but they're the things that were coming up while talking to players.

1) Prominent link to using the chat filter to nuke credit spammers (maybe even add it to the text of the automatically sent chat like "FAQs and how to block those credit spammers" (btw, FC, you're FAILING for not running a simple bot like this yourselves AND putting on a server-side filter for the credit spam URLs).

2) FAQ about "how to team a friend" explaining control+5 for the team window, click your friend if they are nearby and select "recruit", have them use /lft if they aren't next to you (or are in another GS), and how to use zoning into a building to force them into your GS once you've teamed up.

3) Somewhere at the end of the FAQ or where it goes into joining Clan/Omni ... a quick blurb that you can't create an organization until all team members have moved off of Arete (yeah, I learned that the hard way tonight)

4) Possibly a link to the AO forums? Maybe the org recruitment forum.

5) Maybe point to AOUniverse regarding things like spending IP on Abilities/etc. A generic link to AOUniverse would be good as well.

PS. Thanks for leaving Aquest open on commands. Had a couple weeks with our Budabot out of commission and it was handy for higher levels, too
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    1) Prominent link to using the chat filter to nuke credit spammers (maybe even add it to the text of the automatically sent chat like "FAQs and how to block those credit spammers" (btw, FC, you're FAILING for not running a simple bot like this yourselves AND putting on a server-side filter for the credit spam URLs).
    FC failing for not blocking spammers? Seriously? You played any other mmo ever? You see those guys in everyone of them. Even if they add filters spammers just find a way around it. So you get maybe a half day spam free. Not worth the effort at all. I don't know if WoW tries it, but if they do they are loosing the battle big time.
    Behoernchen - Adventurer - SEMPER FIDELIS

I've played other MMOs ... and while they exist everywhere:

1) AO has a working regex filter system. Use it. Server side. And while at it, let us have more than 7 working filters client side.

2) Those MMOs actually do other things FC also doesn't. You know, advertising, marketing, and GMs that patrol and ban accounts. Until FC gives us more resources somewhere ... I'll continue to point out the easy things they could do. Spam filtering specific URLs is probably the only easy thing they DO have the ability to do.

There are only 2 active credit spamming sites. It would be nothing for FC to block them using code that already exists. They're here because we're easy pickings. If things become harder, they won't find it nearly worth the time that it takes to sell a couple bucks here and there compared to what they can make in other games. Most other games actually don't have a chat system backend that has the filtering capability.

Yes, all games have the problem. But all other games also have resources working on it. I get to talk about FC failing when they not only don't address any of this, but also don't address new engine crashes ... stat sploits ... or marketing ... but throw the game up on Steam with all of those problems.

If you wanna keep going over a side point, let's start another thread to keep this one on track. It's a valid conversation, but I'm going to hate it if it sidetracks this topic.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    2) Those MMOs actually do other things FC also doesn't.
    Like allocate money to the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Behoernchen View Post
    Even if they add filters spammers just find a way around it. So you get maybe a half day spam free. Not worth the effort at all.
    I'm inclined to agree with this.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

No need for an extra thread I get your point might be worth a try I just doubt it.
    And I'm so used to just click ignore on such guys that I don't really care anymore if they are there or not. It also has a good side. It shows that AO is still worth it

And for the other points you mentioned in the previous post. I'll agree to all them.
    Maybe add a few links to youtube-channels with guides and lets play videos. There are actually a few nice ones out there.
    Behoernchen - Adventurer - SEMPER FIDELIS

As i didn't find a complete map for Arete Landing, did my own on a HBS basis. Result can be found here (did guide in french but map in english) :
    http://b3sb4th.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3428
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

I created an Org inside the shuttle. I'll have to see if that still works. My first org was on old newbie isle-- the result of an argument w/ the then org prez who was insisting you couldn't make an org there. Froobs could be still be prez then.

Thanks for the map! NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by bitnykk View Post
    As i didn't find a complete map for Arete Landing, did my own on a HBS basis. Result can be found here (did guide in french but map in english) :
    http://b3sb4th.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3428

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123