Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: These proposed changes>latest proposed changes

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    The issue is you not wanting to change your preconceived views on what works.
    Not accurate, I actually like 90% of the proposed changes and would welcome that 90%.

I honestly don't understand the significance of this. Who cares if PVM "balance" is easier/harder for a bit?
    Considering how long it has been since the original rebalance docs were released (years ago) I fear that if changes were rolled out piecemeal or 1-2 at a time we might get months in between maybe years. A lot of those changes are linked or dependant on other changes and the imbalance could be catastrophic in the short term. Keep in mind that at some point AO should or could be on steam, the crazy imbalances manipulated by vets would/could seriously turn off new players. Anyone remember the Rollback t-shirts of '09, or anyone remember AO launch how it was reviewed as plagued with all kinda technical and gameplay issues. Deja' Vu 2014 welcome to steam.

There are some changes I would not want to see stand alone, but combined with the other changes they affect I would welcome. There just is no way given FC record on patches/fixes that I could/would trust for them to release changes regularly if not done all at once. Hell we don't even know if we will have the same GD from year to year or month to month. But you expect to get patches regularly?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Not accurate, I actually like 90% of the proposed changes and would welcome that 90%.

Considering how long it has been since the original rebalance docs were released (years ago) I fear that if changes were rolled out piecemeal or 1-2 at a time we might get months in between maybe years. A lot of those changes are linked or dependant on other changes and the imbalance could be catastrophic in the short term. Keep in mind that at some point AO should or could be on steam, the crazy imbalances manipulated by vets would/could seriously turn off new players. Anyone remember the Rollback t-shirts of '09, or anyone remember AO launch how it was reviewed as plagued with all kinda technical and gameplay issues. Deja' Vu 2014 welcome to steam.

There are some changes I would not want to see stand alone, but combined with the other changes they affect I would welcome. There just is no way given FC record on patches/fixes that I could/would trust for them to release changes regularly if not done all at once. Hell we don't even know if we will have the same GD from year to year or month to month. But you expect to get patches regularly?
    The average people who come to AO from Steam will not stick in a busted-a$$, archaic, hardcore (yes, even with the "carebear" stuff, AO is still on the hardcore end of the spectrum - closer to Eve than to Neverwinter) MMO *unless* there are frequent changes being made, so there had better be regular patches with changes. NPE or not, once they get into the game world, AO is an outdated, unfun mess to a population used to hand-holding. Sure, a few people will stick around, but the vast majority of casuals who would be attracted by Steam are not going to. Even hardcore metagamers, the only audience to whom AO has long-term appeal in the mechanics department, are not going to stick around with other, better designed metagamer MMOs out there.

Play some of the other f2p MMOs available on Steam. You will never find more wretched hives of a$$hats and stupidity, seriously, many of those communities make WoW look like the Royal Society.

The only target audience that AO really has a chance with is Sci Fi nerds, and only if the game is also fun to a person accustomed to modern titles. Every time I leave AO for a bit and come back, I realize just how archaic and clunky the whole experience is, from loot and economical imbalances to the complete lack of ingame information, to the complete and total [edited]s on OOC who just make the game look bad.

The only way to get any kind of real retention is with frequent changes, positive or negative, that keep people engaged. Even the most negative change will tend to keep players involved in the game, and as long as negative changes are remedied, they will tend to stick around

Again, many of these issues stem from previous teams who really didn't grasp that an MMO needs to evolve it's systems and mechanics just as much as it needs to add new content. It's like trying to run a taxi service based on a coal-driven horseless carriage. You will get niche business, but if you try to appeal to a broad audience who wants fast, reliable, and modern transit, you are going to have a bad day.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Im more worried that if changes A-B-C are done, how long would we be in limbo with one or 2 profs seriously out of whack while we wait for changes D-E-F? Then wait longer for changes G-H-I and etc etc. Weeks, months, years, never? I'm pretty much playing AO till the lights go out, hell I been here for 12+years already. I would love to see changes and progress, but some changes would be really bad if done stand alone is what I'm getting at, especially if they sat alone for months on end.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Im more worried that if changes A-B-C are done, how long would we be in limbo with one or 2 profs seriously out of whack while we wait for changes D-E-F? Then wait longer for changes G-H-I and etc etc. Weeks, months, years, never? I'm pretty much playing AO till the lights go out, hell I been here for 12+years already. I would love to see changes and progress, but some changes would be really bad if done stand alone is what I'm getting at, especially if they sat alone for months on end.
    I don't understand.

Which change are you speaking about?

What EXACT change is the one you are thinking about when you say the game will be in a catastrophic state if the corresponding patch is not employed?

I don't see this happening. Even if patches are irregular but not infrequent it should pan out.

Like I said back in 2009, they ONLY needed to make one good patch with Parry which would send melee vs range balance askew while people adjusted to it. And that would keep the frothing masses busy until they could flesh out the other patches.

I don't understand.

Which change are you speaking about?

What EXACT change is the one you are thinking about when you say the game will be in a catastrophic state if the corresponding patch is not employed.
    I didnt think you of all people would not get it.

But how about these for starters...

<All blocker nanos (Nano programs which is cast by a nano to prevent re-casting for x amount of time) should now be removed from the game (except Enforcer elements nanoline because it requires a larger set of changes.)>

Lets see...can we say NS2 + doubles/triples, since no more off/def focus?

<Martial Artist healing nano program have been updated.>

Isn't that the nano cost? Damn that will suck without zazean stance. Although I think it still sucks with it but o well for solo MA's.

<Doctor Complete Healing has been given a line cooldown of 40 seconds and now heals the target for 100% health. This nano program will no longer pull aggro in the Shadowlands. This nano program is now in the same line as Improved Complete Healing.>

Again solo docs won't be very solo anymore with this loooong nano cooldown. Kinda cripples agents also.

Is that enough?

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Okkkkk

The MA nano change is ABSOLUTELY RETARDED WITH OR WITHOUT ZAZEN.

If you haven't read up on that yet, I suggest becoming familiar with the suggested changes since that change is likely the least well thought out specific change in the entire lot.

Regardless of any other change, regardless of ALL OTHER changes, that one, with or without all corresponding patches is still a royal f*ck up.

I don't think the blocker programs change would be rolled out as a "rebalance" it's more of a system adjustment that would go in after afaik. But you are right that there are some patches that it would likely be critical to, so in that case you wouldn't separate them, you'd patch them both at once.

This is grade 1 stuff man.

This is grade 1 stuff man.
    We are talking about FC. Other than recent changes initiated by Michi do you have ANY other reason to have faith that someone would not screw up along the way roflol???

I think by now murphy's law should be secondary with FC, hope for the best but EXPECT the worst. amirite??? can i get an amen or a testify? LOL

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

We are talking about FC. Other than recent changes initiated by Michi do you have ANY other reason to have faith that someone would not screw up along the way roflol???

I think by now murphy's law should be secondary with FC, hope for the best but EXPECT the worst. amirite??? can i get an amen or a testify? LOL
    Ok valid point given FC's history.. but Michi appears to be a lot faster moving and more competent than many previous GD's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12