Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Monthly Development Update - February 2015 (The Storm)

Yes, I tried all those options

Also tried switching between fullscreen and borderless and so on. Tried turning off SLI. The only thing I haven't tried is reverting to older GPU drivers but that's not going to happen. But I can't be bothered to keep working on getting a free client running if I don't wanna play during current FC policies anyway. I just found it really strange that the game would act this specific way to new hardware. I guess if other people have this problem as well then they will hopefully see it fixed with the new engine. I wish them luck!
    Veteran of Equilibrium

What kind of hard drive do you have? It's strange, but in my experience the biggest bottleneck for AO is actually the hard drive read/write speed more than anything else. If you only have a single average HDD it's very likely that your computer accessing it while AO runs is giving you a lot of slowdowns.

I actually went and transferred my AO install onto my SSD last night, and I'm noticing a huge improvement! Especially when it comes to loading areas, moving through areas (and thus loading in new monsters/players), and running more than one account.

Quote Originally Posted by Litestrider View Post
    What kind of hard drive do you have? It's strange, but in my experience the biggest bottleneck for AO is actually the hard drive read/write speed more than anything else. If you only have a single average HDD it's very likely that your computer accessing it while AO runs is giving you a lot of slowdowns.

I actually went and transferred my AO install onto my SSD last night, and I'm noticing a huge improvement! Especially when it comes to loading areas, moving through areas (and thus loading in new monsters/players), and running more than one account.
    I actually can't load instantly to zones on AO installed on SSD because the FC servers are too slow
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Yeah there is allot of current graphic issues with newer hardware (if your on Intel your SOL). The only fix is the new engine, and every monthly update without even so much as a mention of work being done on it since Macrosun left is starting to get a bit depressing. Even a simple "Were still working on it, but its taking a bit longer while the new coder/s are learning the system" would be fine, but there has been nothing, like it never existed.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Next year Krause, next year!

Don't stop, believin', hold on to that feeeeeAAAeeeling
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    Next year Krause, next year!

Don't stop, believin', hold on to that feeeeeAAAeeeling
    God Rays, shadows, Oh Oh Ohhhhhhhh!

So no comment on the engine even when it's evident that AO is bleeding subs due to AO being too old to run on even several years old hardware!

WD!! I guess it means they really don't have a clue as to when it might be released, or IF it's going to be released.

And hello Wrangeline! We do miss joo!

I dont personally care wheter the new engine ever makes it or not.

Im finding the game really going forward, due to QoL changes and the rebalance hopefully wont funk up too much on my fav classes.
    The graphics sure are old, but they do the trick for me, and i kind of like them as they are now

I could be wrong on this, but i dont think anybody ever played/left AO because of its graphics.
    First NT to proper pocket Ely hecks - Raesun

Quote Originally Posted by Raelil View Post
    I dont personally care wheter the new engine ever makes it or not.

Im finding the game really going forward, due to QoL changes and the rebalance hopefully wont funk up too much on my fav classes.
    The graphics sure are old, but they do the trick for me, and i kind of like them as they are now

I could be wrong on this, but i don't think anybody ever played/left AO because of its graphics.
    The new engine doesn't change much aside from lighting and maybe built in AA (could already just force that in the drivers though). The main bonus is that the game will use the GPU more and have much higher FPS and support 1440p and up resolutions (it does not now) and support modern Intel GPU drivers (it also does not currently).

People aren't leaving because of the looks, they are leaving because it isn't running right anymore on alot of new hardware setups due to the old dx7 engines limitations.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelil View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but i dont think anybody ever played/left AO because of its graphics.
    My wife stopped playing within a couple hours because it was giving her headaches. She tried multiple times.

If the graphics was the biggest problem in this game that would of been an easy fix. SIDE NOTE: [There is a way you can update (twink) with AO meta files to change textures and have better looking graphics. "Warning :This is strictly forbidden by GM's and ARK" ]

The bigger problem with AO is the game. If you played this game from 1-220 with many characters, you will quickly learn that the story line in this game sucks. Questing in this game is one of the worst... Its only thanks to AO-universe that people can still do quests.

The last problem is how the game engine works. A game engine has work hand in hand with the hardware. Unfortunately AO's engine is like sorcery... The hardware is water and AO's engine is oil... they simply don't mix.

Quote Originally Posted by romsoft View Post
    Unfortunately AO's engine is like sorcery... The hardware is water and AO's engine is oil... they simply don't mix.

There is no magic to it. AO is simply outdated. And it's not just a question of being ugly and running terribly slow and choppy any more. It's a question of compatibility now. Intel integrated gfx has about 67% market share overall for PC's now (whether you like it or not) and Intel no longer supports DX7.

That means that with curent drivers, less than a third of pc's will even run AO, a 14 year old game(!)

And it's been 8 years since the work started on the "new" engine. How can management let this happen to a game that is supposedly cash flow positive?

I'd tell you but I don't want to fight Annarina yet again. :>

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    There is no magic to it. AO is simply outdated. And it's not just a question of being ugly and running terribly slow and choppy any more. It's a question of compatibility now. Intel integrated gfx has about 67% market share overall for PC's now (whether you like it or not) and Intel no longer supports DX7. >
    hehe, the key word is "Like" ... talking about DX problems? Read my post here.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...future-concern

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789