Thread: Crowd control profession with AoE calms besides Crat?

Crowd control profession with AoE calms besides Crat?

I want to have a CCing character for endgame encounters and if possible I want to avoid leveling a crat as I already have two at lower levels. More specifically I would like something that can AoE calm in both SL and RK.

Can a trader and/or and NT do this?
    Starphoenix 220/30 Adventurer - Shesmine 220/30 Enforcer - Sgtcuddle 220/30 Soldier - Pervonen 220/27 Doctor - Startrade 218/30 Trader - Letter 200/30 Bureaucrat - Shiasurprise 199/20 Soldier - Envelope 150/17 Bureaucrat

For AoE calms, Crats or go home tbh. Advies used to be able to do that (if you were careful and quick off the mark) but no longer. 5 minute (FIVE) cooldown on the Advy AoE calm has seen to that. NT calms are ST only and the SL ones don't last that long. You have to faff about with overwriting the SL one with the longer RK one and that's all just for 1 mob. Traders may have it easier but I don't have a high level one so I dunno.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Looking at the trader Nano listings on aoitems I can't see any AoE calms. And the highest ST one, Cosmic Relaxation, has a 100 % NR and 70 % level resistance which I guess would make it difficult to land? Otherwise the duration is good with 7 m 45 s.
    Starphoenix 220/30 Adventurer - Shesmine 220/30 Enforcer - Sgtcuddle 220/30 Soldier - Pervonen 220/27 Doctor - Startrade 218/30 Trader - Letter 200/30 Bureaucrat - Shiasurprise 199/20 Soldier - Envelope 150/17 Bureaucrat

Cosmic Relaxation is pretty trivial to land in SL. It is sadly single target, but if you're careful there shouldn't be to many occasions when you pull to many to calm fast enough.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Good to hear. If the calm lands reliably then a single target one could work. I also do want a char for tradeskills so a trader is tempting.

CR has long been the ultimate calm, landing 100% (or almost) on anything RK/SL (and quite often on aliens) while crats are struggling to land anything but LMN. You can "spam" it so unless you got the worst pull ever you'll be safe, and it's long.

On top, trader can do huge dmg (for a support class) with top drains (and now with top DKP shotty might even OD MA and at last benefit from the perks), has great defense and heal (through lifetap), some nice tools and tricks, and in shotty setup (pve oriented) you shall TS everything with ease... Totally underrated prof.
    220/70/30 OpiFix - Useless PVM Ex RK Queen
    220/80/30 TroxDoc - Alpha Brain @soon !
    220/80/30 SoliEngi - TSing everything
    220/70/30 SoliTrader - MA >>>> Shottie
    220/80/30 Crat - Why the hell do other profs still exist ?

And tons of alts !

The only place you'll find AoE calms outside of the Bureaucrat is in Agent using False Profession: Bureaucrat. It's not as impractical as it used to be, with Agent FP:Crat having access to the non-malaise init debuffs (and doctors can usually cover malaise with UBT), and now having SL calms. Still, while you can shift around to different FPs later, while calming and debuffing Agent FP:Crat is pretty much strictly worse than a pure Bureaucrat, due to a lack of pets, top nukes, and most likely worse personal damage as well.

There's also the same problem that a proper Bureaucrat faces, the AoE calms are technically RK calms and thus have trouble landing on SL mobs.

There is a selection of other AoE crowd control, namely fixers get very nice AoE snares that can land on SL stuff pretty well at upper levels, and MAs get an AoE fear that I don't see used nearly enough, but I don't believe either of those are particularly useful in a difficult raid situation. The MA might be nice in The Collector to keep all those essence fragments off you while you're trying to get kicked by the immortal guardians, I know I get great use from my bureaucrat's single fears in that case.

I hadn't thought of using an agent but I might as well roll a crat then as you sort of suggest. A fixer with AoE snares is also an interesting idea that could work in some situations but I do want calms as I think that would be easier to manage.

Thanks to appolonia's excellent sales pitch I've pretty much decided on making my next alt a trader

Quote Originally Posted by Starphoenix View Post
    Thanks to appolonia's excellent sales pitch I've pretty much decided on making my next alt a trader
    You won't be disappointed!

Unless you want to PvP on it
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Trader does have an AoE calm. Traders are the do it all's. They are number one in buffing all skills at once...even on them self, second best healer, second best AoE calmer, first best in CL buffing (self only), second best in team damage and AC buffing, second best in max trade skills. They get Team Grid before the Fixer, and this is in TToW btw.

If you want one char and able to do almost everything and is less micro-managed then Agent...then get a Trader. Plus they got an exclusive vendor shop that has the highest sell to prices.
    Been around for 9 years since 2004...FC is a little stalled on in game content corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by jandraelune View Post
    Trader does have an AoE calm.
    Excuse me? O.o
    Please point me to this imaginary nano, since i'm clearly missing out on something here.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

AoE Root, not calm
    Scene :: Meta-Physicist :: 220/30/70
    Scenetoo :: Trader :: 204/28/52
    Scentinal :: Enforcer :: 165/22/33
    Scenato :: Keeper :: 136/16/25

AO Universe - by players, for players :: former general of Omni-Pol