Thread: Engine Good Reviews therad

Engine Good Reviews therad

So Not all is bad with new engine.

First some disclosure my computer is very low end in 2012 it costed 300€ to make, as such I estimate today its worth around 100€ nice round low end number anyone can buy today used today.

Intel i3, dual core 3.3GHZ
    8GB of Ram,
    Windows 7 aspirated
    AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card (naturally cooled no supercharging here not even a fan)
    SSD drive 120GB for system and now AO new engine build, 1TB regular drive for backup

So as you see nothing fancy

I run AO windowed 1280x600, Multiboxing sometimes.

FPS I get with new engine? mostly around 10-30, in rare cases counter says 70fps but I don't believe it.

Settings I run? Mostly lowered, for max FPS, like I run old engine too, like 40m view ranges on high effects etc. All effects on.

Here are my positive encounters... Major improvements to FPS in several situations... namley DB2, tower wars, Borealis, Mittar. Especialy whenever there are masses of effects new engine is very playable while old one was lagging as hell randomly dropping to 5fps and such.

Interestingly today at tower wars with all the effects bombardment new engine was way more playable than old engine ever was in such a scenario.

In short new engine I prefer in all ways but one. Multiboxing buffing chars is quite a resource hog. So for that I think i'll stick to old engine for now. It is quite doable on new engine aswell, but with 5-6 logs everything becomes lagsome, when before i could just keep 5-6 buffing chars online and play my main one.

Its also prettier.
    Last edited by Cratertina; Jun 29th, 2015 at 15:37:48.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Yes the client lag when there's a lot of people in an area is noticably better with the new engine. Dual logged at Desert Rider when it's been so full the crowd control measures have kicked peopel tot he zone border, no client lag at all. The massive resource requirements nixing multiple buffing/mule characters and accounts at once is a right pain though. When I twink, I twink hard and fast and will have up to 7 clients running at full speed in a quiet backyard to get all of my buffing and item switching done against the buff timer clock. Not so with the new engine. It slows to a near standstill at 5-6 :/

I have one new engine install with every setting maxed, and one with every setting minimised. The latter looks very weird, I have to say. Mixture of strangely detailed and indistinguishable blob

Overall I'm using the NE exclusively and I like it very much. Aside from Rome Red to Rome Blue crashes.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Thumbs up

Is sure is prettier and performs better

a question.. do you have to put new prefs if you chose to instal the new engine?

I moved old engine tomy spare drive and placed new engine to location of AO before. Then by magic all prefs worked.

To try this rename your AO folder to say AO old engine, and place new engine exactly where old one was before. For me on win7 that did the trick.

Offcorse you can copy prefs, I did that before aswell, but in the morning I just replaced old install with new.

P.S.: At Tara 2 raids of omnis... and no lag!!!
    Last edited by Cratertina; Jun 29th, 2015 at 16:31:00.

I copied my old engine prefs over, installed updated ndGUIs and added AoRK and AoSL. All worked just fine.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I haven't ven tried it yet, but I heard the new client uses about 1,25 GB. So hexa logged, ur prolly out of ram there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    I haven't ven tried it yet, but I heard the new client uses about 1,25 GB. So hexa logged, ur prolly out of ram there.
    1.25 GB when zoning a lot and combating n such...

but for buffing alt it only uses around 300mb.

i hate the pref stuff, but its a bit lasyness of me aswell :P i gues i delay a bit witht he new engine. i asume it require some more polish

Just place new engine where old AO was and you are done.

its not bad gfx, but i do wish they did it a little better like dx10/12 . but still AO is a good game and any change is welcome. i really like the new icc alltough it lags like a tar pit. but i have a pretty good and brand new comp and it still lags, but i can not remember ao without memory leaks and graphic issues..

Quote Originally Posted by fixoj View Post
    its not bad gfx, but i do wish they did it a little better like dx10/12 .
    because low resolution textures, missing specular- and normal-textures, terrible low polygon models and missing ssao & dof looks looks so much better when they are absent in more modern environment.

dx9 is more than enough, if utilized properly. which sadly isnt the case
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

The new engine brought me back and the game is keeping me here.

I'm currently using a 40" 4k television as a monitor at 3840 X 2160 resolution in the new client. The old client cannot even run on my old 30" at native resolution (2560 X 1600).

So yes, it locks up a few times a night and I cuss when it does, but the new client really looks nice.

Reprimand
    Playing off and on since August 9, 2001

Love the new engine. It's what I've been waiting for to return to my beloved AO and after a week on the new engine my wife and I grabbed the 12/16 month deal. It looks fantastic compared to the original and runs great. Usually around 80-100fps in most places on my 970 going down to 30ish during raids. It doesn't like 21:9 aspect ratio but I play in a 16:10 window anyway, not an issue for me.

I have realistic expectations so I understand why a lot of models and all the terrain isn't updated. The new lighting, normal maps, god rays and shadows are really making a huge difference. Sure I love GTAV level graphics, but I also love my first and best MMO ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Malosar View Post
    Love the new engine. It's what I've been waiting for to return to my beloved AO and after a week on the new engine my wife and I grabbed the 12/16 month deal. It looks fantastic compared to the original and runs great. Usually around 80-100fps in most places on my 970 going down to 30ish during raids. It doesn't like 21:9 aspect ratio but I play in a 16:10 window anyway, not an issue for me.

I have realistic expectations so I understand why a lot of models and all the terrain isn't updated. The new lighting, normal maps, god rays and shadows are really making a huge difference. Sure I love GTAV level graphics, but I also love my first and best MMO ever.

If you want to get just a little more beautification, head over to this thread. At least one person has also experienced greater stability using SweetFX.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-