Thread: AO not running at all with new Engine

AO not running at all with new Engine

I am recently returning to the game after about two years. I downloaded the old client and AO ran ok. As I would run around OA I could see a water graphic under the streets, hills, buildings just about anywhere I looked. I asked in game and someone said I should download the new engine and that should fix my problems. Well it didnt.

After I downloaded I fired the game up and checked the settings and I saw an option for Primary Display and Intel Display. I choose Primary, selected ok and hit Play. The screen went black and windows reported the program was not responding. I've done an exhaustive search for a fix and so far I've come up empty handed. Ive checked drivers, BIOS, Registry, Nvidia Control Panel and many other things with no success at all. Below is the specs on my laptop. I understand many of you dont like running AO on a laptop but thats what I have so dont bother posting dont run it on a laptop.

Lenovo Y70-70
    4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    16 GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GTX-860M 4GB Graphics 1600MHz
    1000 GB (1 TB) Solid-State Drive
    17.3" FHD LED AntiGlare Multitouch with integrated camera (1920x1080)

Also the idea of having to make so many changes and pick the brain of the other customers that play is ridiculous as I believe the maker of the game should be able to fix any of the problems their product has especially since A. Its their game. B. As you can see my machine is very new and should have no problem running just about anything. and C. Im paying them.

If this is going to be a headach then I just need to give up before I put another $15 bucks in FCs pocket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I see you're using a laptop one thing that could be causing it is that the NVIDIA dedicated card isn't being used when you launch AO this is the exact same problem I had but with an AMD Laptop, try forcing high performance mode in your graphics settings. I'm not sure on the specific layout of the NVIDIA control panel but it should be pretty easy to find.

PS. If that doesn't work try forcing your laptop to use the dedicated GPU in your bios if there is such a setting available.
    Last edited by blackhawks93; Jul 21st, 2015 at 16:11:44.
    -Equilibrium-
    Perkable - 220/30 Crat
    Enforcblack - 220/30 Enf
    Blacklist - 200/30 Adv
    Blackhawkzz - 200/30 Crat
    Nano93 - 168/23 NT
    Blackhawkss - 164/22 Sold
    Black - 150/20 Enf
    Blackhawks - 126/15 Agent
    Cannibalz - 92/9 Enf
    Blackhawks00 -57/6 MP
    Blackhawkd - 29/3 Tard

Black I appreciate the comments however like I posted earlier I have tried many things including all of your suggestions. All thats showing up in settings is Primary and Intel, it doesnt even say Nvidia so Im assuming you're correct in your assumption that AO isnt using my High Performance video card.

What I would really like to see here is someone from FunComm reply to this thread with a fix or at least some suggestions as to how to fix this error. I have never liked the fact that FC seems to think all they need to do is turn on a server and throw out a few patchs. The money I pay every month should also afford me (and every other paying subscriber) some tech support seeing as how this is their game.

Right click the AO shortcut, select "Run with graphics processor", and select your "High performance nVidia processor".
    Click the settings button, on the visual tab click the Change button next to your rendering device, and select "Primary Display Driver - Direct3D HAL".

You can then open a GPU monitoring tool and see that it's being used while AO is running.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Wakiza I think i've already done that however I'll try it again. At work right now so it will be later tonight. I also understand you can change the prefs however since I havent been able to log in it hasnt created the prefs yet so we will see. Thank you all so much, any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem as you have. On my old system, with a NVIDIA GTX 660ti card, everything worked just fine, but with my new system, a NVIDIA GTX 980m card, I also got the infinite black loading screen.

However, now it works.

I can't put my finger on, exactly, what changed between a non-working state and a working state, but these are the things I did:

1) I installed The Secret World, which also installed a lot of old DirectX patches.
    2) I installed the old version of the Anarchy Online client, and checked that it worked (it did).
    3) Copied all my preferences from my old machine to the clean installations on my new machine.

When this was done, all of a sudden the new Anarchy Online client worked. I can't really make a qualified guess as to why it started to work, but if I had to put my money on one of the choices, it would be the TSW installation and all the DirectX patches.
    Izgimmy
    [220/30/80 Nano Technician]
    Dellingr
    [220/30/72 Engineer]
    Avalinn
    [220/30/80 Doctor]

Plus many more...
    Tiralinn
    [220/30/78 Bureaucrat]

Some clarification on this, it would seem that win7 and indeed as of today win 10 do not come with the older DX-9 .dll files, we covered this in another thread, and the cover-all fix is downloading the DX-SDK pack from microsoft. Rather than trying to get specific .dll's which from most sites that have them are a little on the dodgy side.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=6812

This seems to fix the "it just hangs" problem for most so far.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...34#post6219034
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.